Diapers-what's working for you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help! I am going a little insane. The diaper service supplies us with fitted microfibre/fleece diapers and motherease covers. We are definitely going through SOME sort of growth spurt or I don't know what but these days I am nursing every 40-60mins and Dez is fussing the rest of the time. It seems that JUST as we get him down to sleep he wets his diaper and obviously wants to be changed IMMEDIATELY.

Of course, then we can't get him to calm down again and cue another half hour of comfort nursing.

I know there are a lot of factors at play here but I can't help but feel that with disposables we might be able to buy just a little bit more time before we wakes? Am I completely off base? My god, I'm just looking for an hour of sleep at the very least.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#32 of 59 Old 12-11-2010, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids were never comfortable in the fleece dipes. Can you get a different cloth dipe to try through the service like prefold or something? Could it be that Dez has reflux or a food sensitivity?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#33 of 59 Old 12-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Is reflux characterized by spit up? We've only had two spit-up occasions in the last 2+ weeks and they were minor. I do wonder about the food sensitivity, I know I ate some really spicy chili the other day and noticed he became a lot fussier afterward, but I'm not sure if those two things are related. The diaper service doesn't offer anything but the fleece/microfibre fitteds, unfortunately. :(

Thankfully we did get a good sleep last night once I got him down around 2 am. He gave us three really solid 3 hour chunks of sleep. I never knew how directly correlated my sanity and my sleep were until I had a newborn. lol.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#34 of 59 Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrenSquare View Post

I never knew how directly correlated my sanity and my sleep were until I had a newborn. lol.

Oh yeah - ain't that the truth!!!!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#35 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 AM

So Charlie is battling a monster rash. It's been two days now. I've been slathering her little bum in cream (using a liner in the dipes), changing her hourly, and letting her go in just a prefold without a cover as often as possible.

I'm thinking it might be yeast or the detergent I was using for her dipes (cheap, store brand stuff.) I've picked up some Purex Free & Clear and I'm re-washing all her dipes with an extra hot rinse (our water is extremely hot right from the tap. Close to boiling, I kid you not.) Any suggestions if it is yeast? I've just been using a basic bum cream from the drug store, but I'm going to order some Rash Magic from Jack's Magic Beanstalk, though that won't help us right now.

My DS never got diaper rashes as a baby, so this is new to me.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#36 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

For yeast, I recommend tto in the wipes water and applied topically. Also plain yogurt applied topically.

I have heard not to use free & clear. if you google cloth diaper detergent a list of good/bad comes up. I'm nak.

#37 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 08:46 AM

I've been using purex free and clear with no problems, but ymmv.  

#38 of 59 Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM

I would never use store brand detergent on my dipes. They can cause build up, repelling, stinkies, and as you see - diaper rash on sensitive babies. 

My guess would be the the detergent is the culprit. 

I would never use store brand rash cream with my cloth diapers as that causes build up in the diapers as well. Even with a liner I wouldn't risk messing up the dipes. I'd definitely look for a cloth diaper safe rash ointment. I'm assuming the one you said you are getting is that type. There are some cloth diaper safe yeast infection ointments out there that they sell on some sites from what I remember. You may want to look into that.

I have had really good results with Arm and Hammer essentials perfume and dye free detergent for a top loader and I like my naturoli soap nuts liquid soap in my current front loader. https://store.naturoli.com/home.php?cat=295 I add around a half cup of baking soda to it.  The naturoli stuff is also antifungal so that could be good if it is a yeast infection. 

My new washing routine with my front loader seems to be working better than what I was doing before. I run a full cold wash with a scoop of the baking soda and then a hot wash with my detergent and baking soda and a bit of oxiclean. I also add a towel or two to make sure I have a nice full load in the wash as I read that helps. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post

So Charlie is battling a monster rash. It's been two days now. I've been slathering her little bum in cream (using a liner in the dipes), changing her hourly, and letting her go in just a prefold without a cover as often as possible.

I'm thinking it might be yeast or the detergent I was using for her dipes (cheap, store brand stuff.) I've picked up some Purex Free & Clear and I'm re-washing all her dipes with an extra hot rinse (our water is extremely hot right from the tap. Close to boiling, I kid you not.) Any suggestions if it is yeast? I've just been using a basic bum cream from the drug store, but I'm going to order some Rash Magic from Jack's Magic Beanstalk, though that won't help us right now.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#39 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Just had to chime in and say now that we are in the thick of things so to speak, I really wish I would have bought half the diapers I did and gotten all AIO's vs. buying the pre-folds with covers.  Sure I would be washing twice as frequently but they are sooo much easier to deal with especially in the middle of the night.sleeping.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#40 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Sasha-I agree. I loved prefolds with my other two girls and I'm just not doing it this time. I just bought 25 kissaluvs (second hand) and have wool & thirsties. The prefold thing is not working with me. I wish I could buy more AIOs but I'll have to save up.

#41 of 59 Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 PM

It was never an issue when we were cloth diapering DS. He never got rashes, we never had repelling or stinkiness issues. This is the first time I've had any detergent problems.

While we try to find something that works, we decided to put her in 'sposies to protect the cloth diapers, but this seems to be making her rash *worse* even though these are the sensitive ones. She did okay in them for several weeks, as we had been gifted with several packs, but now seems to have the most ridiculously sensitive skin.

I'm changing her constantly and have some Bum Bum Balm coming in the mail. There is nowhere locally that carries anything so I just have to wait to receive it. I'll try out that Naturoli stuff. Seems a pretty decent price. Considering I have enough diapers to go 3 days between washes, one bottle would be almost a year's worth, so it seems to be a good investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I would never use store brand detergent on my dipes. They can cause build up, repelling, stinkies, and as you see - diaper rash on sensitive babies. 

I would never use store brand rash cream with my cloth diapers as that causes build up in the diapers as well. Even with a liner I wouldn't risk messing up the dipes. I'd definitely look for a cloth diaper safe rash ointment. I'm assuming the one you said you are getting is that type. There are some cloth diaper safe yeast infection ointments out there that they sell on some sites from what I remember. You may want to look into that.

I have had really good results with Arm and Hammer essentials perfume and dye free detergent for a top loader and I like my naturoli soap nuts liquid soap in my current front loader. https://store.naturoli.com/home.php?cat=295 I add around a half cup of baking soda to it.  The naturoli stuff is also antifungal so that could be good if it is a yeast infection. 

My new washing routine with my front loader seems to be working better than what I was doing before. I run a full cold wash with a scoop of the baking soda and then a hot wash with my detergent and baking soda and a bit of oxiclean. I also add a towel or two to make sure I have a nice full load in the wash as I read that helps. 

Quote:

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#42 of 59 Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 AM

My baby has been in cloth exclusively since he was 1 week old.  I've been using prefolds and covers and haven't had a single leak! Tried quite a few different covers and Imse Vimse's are definitely my favorite. (much more trim and softer than most) We've been washing everything in Charlie's Soap and we haven't had any problems or rashes. If it's a really dirty load, I'll add in a tad bit of Baby Oxiclean. We are actually flying home to see family for Christmas tomorrow and I figured I would put him in sposies while traveling since it would be much easier so I tried one out on him yesterday. He fussed until I took it off (they feel so stiff to me now that I've done cloth) so it looks like we're going to do cloth while traveling this time. Interested to see how this goes. When I took the sposie off, he had red marks on his little legs and the diaper was sticking to him because of how absorbent the gel is. The only diaper I could find without sodium polyacrylate gel (the culprit of most sposie rashes) was Tushies. (Good friend told me about them and they worked great on her little one) I just ordered some as a back up since I am limited on prefolds and we travel alot. Hoping those will be better than the last ones. So maybe those with diaper rash problems could try out Tushies as a sposie option?

The holidays should be interesting.. Can't wait to get interrogated on my choice to cloth diaper.. They always ask how I wash them and when I tell them, they all think I'm nuts for putting BF baby poo in the washer. Anyone else get the odd looks and interrogations about CDing?

SAHMcrochetsmilie.gif to DS babyf.gif (born naturally 11/5/10) and a loyal dog2.gif
familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF cd.gif goorganic.jpg winner.jpg 

#43 of 59 Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post

The holidays should be interesting.. Can't wait to get interrogated on my choice to cloth diaper.. They always ask how I wash them and when I tell them, they all think I'm nuts for putting BF baby poo in the washer. Anyone else get the odd looks and interrogations about CDing?

My mother, who cloth diapered us, thought I was crazy for wanting to CD. She thought I was even crazier for using prefolds, which is what she had to use for my sister, who had incredibly sensitive skin. Most people who know me describe me as a bit of a hippie, and so I guess it didn't really surprise her.

I have had comments from lots of people. Usually to the effect of how cute the diapers are. Some people ask me about washing. Any time someone mentions putting baby poo in the washer, just tell them that if you weren't using cloth, it'd be all over the baby's clothes anyway! My DS was in 'sposies until he was 7 months and this child could poop with enough power that it'd be in his hair, and no 'sposie could contain it. We put tons of poop covered stuff in the wash long before he was CD'd!

Kay
#44 of 59 Old 12-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Any time someone mentions putting baby poo in the washer, just tell them that if you weren't using cloth, it'd be all over the baby's clothes anyway! My DS was in 'sposies until he was 7 months and this child could poop with enough power that it'd be in his hair, and no 'sposie could contain it. We put tons of poop covered stuff in the wash long before he was CD'd!

Not to mention that when your kid is potty-training you'll be putting tons of clothing in the washer that have been peed on and pooped on. Plus, when someone in the family vomits, do you throw away all the bedding and clothing that gets hit? What silliness. ;)

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#45 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Am I doing something wrong? Everything  I read said how wonderful Kissaluv 0s were for new babies, but I can't get the waist snug enough on my little guy and when he pees it leaks right through the top and soaks his clothes.  For EBF poop its fabulous, no blowouts no leaks on the legs. I want so much to love them, but I have two dozen and am about to try to sell them all.  The only ones that seem to be tight enough on his waist are the aplix all in ones I have.  Is it my fault? or do they just not fit some babies? What's the best way to sell them so I can buy what works for us (if it's not my fault!)

#46 of 59 Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM

The biggest reason for pee to go UP with boys is the penis pointing up. If the penis is pointing down, it shouldn't matter how tight the waist is, IME. That said, with my little girl, we had to use the bottom row of waist snaps for the first few weeks on our Kissaluv 0s. Now we use the top snaps. Even with it snapped loosely, we've not had pee leaks.

Did you buy them used? Perhaps they are repelling for some reason?

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#47 of 59 Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

The biggest reason for pee to go UP with boys is the penis pointing up. If the penis is pointing down, it shouldn't matter how tight the waist is, IME.
yeahthat.gif

Even with disposables it can sometimes leak from the top if you dont point their penis down.  It took me months with my first son to figure it out.  After a while you will get so use to having to do it at every diaper change that you wont even have to think about it, but at first it can be a little difficult remembering to do it.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#48 of 59 Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM

What covers are you using with the KL0s? If the cover allows the clothes to touch the top of the diaper (which will saturate during normal use) then it will wick onto the clothes.

If you do decide to sell, check out the Trading Post area here. I actually haven't explored it since we moved servers but I know it's here, somewhere! smile.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#49 of 59 Old 12-20-2010, 04:10 PM

My babe is officially in cloth today.............for daytime hours anyway.smile.gif  He will be four weeks tomorrow.  I have been using sposies all the time, now I will use them at night and outings. 

As for the cloth, I am using indian prefolds.  I got them for $1 each during a summer sale at CottonBabies site.  I love prefolds since they are so affordable and I used them on my ds as well, with no leaks until he was around 18 months old or so.  For covers I use wool soakers or longies that I knit, or thirsties duos.  I am trying out a new wool cover today, and like it so far.  It says CB on it, but I don't know the brand because I bought it used. 

Blessed mama to four, and expecting a boy in March 2013!!!!  chicken3.gif
homeschool.gif   cd.gif      fly-by-nursing1.gif

#50 of 59 Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I go back and forth on what I like, largely depending on how  well we're doing with EC on a given day.

I like my pocket diapers. Once stuffed, they're as easy as a disposable or AIO to put on and take off, which is great for EC. But they generate twice as much laundry.

Trifolded prefolds are nearly as easy for EC, but they don't contain poops well. Since Eira goes multiple times a day, hasn't settled down to any sort of definable pattern, and we only catch poos about 75% of the time, it's very easy to go through covers excessively fast. But I feel like that is improving, and I've been using mostly prefolds the past few days (Preemie CPFs and the ones I made out of old t-shirts). Plus, since she fits into both newborn and small covers, I have enough wrap covers right now that it isn't a huge issue.

Prefolds fastened with a snappi work a little better for containing poo, but are a bit of a pain for EC, and I can't use a snappi with my homemade ones.

The Imse Vimse contours aren't great for EC, but contain poop really well. The edges tend to fray a bit if there is any velcro in the wash for them to catch onto. Ideally, I'd wash them totally separate from anything with velcro - I think that would extend their life quite a bit.

I love the Imse Vimse covers - soft, cute, and effective. The cheaper proraps do the job, though.

She now basically fits into the Kushies AIOs, and I've been putting her in them for nighttime, as they're brand new, adequately absorbant, and non-leaking (so far, anyways) - I can't trust the BGs. However, I feel like they're awfully hot (non-breathable cover?), and I distrust their ability to get thoroughly clean and dry in the laundry, so I'm not sure they'll work for us in the long run.

I found instructions for making no-sew tie on wool or fleece covers, and think I'll try that soon. I have a bunch of felted wool weaters sitting around that I could use - I'd rather make them into butt sweaters/longies, but I'm not sure when I'll actually have the time and motivation to do so, so this seems the next best option.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#51 of 59 Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 AM

If you use oxiclean, use the free and clear stuff, not the baby oxiclean cuz there are perfumes in that one. Someone had recommended it so that is why I'm saying this.

I hope you figure the rash out soon. It really could be yeast if it's that tough to get rid of? If it is, like I said before, you might wanna look into a natural yeast infection cream or salve from one of those cloth diaper places or natural baby shops online.

Link to salves or creams that are considered safe or unsafe for cloth... http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm

Apparently you could try making your own. I'm not 100% positive if these are cloth diaper safe.

http://www.greenoptions.com/forum/thread/707/baby-diaper-rash-yeast-infection-tips-and-recipes

Tea tree oil and lavender essential oils are good against yeast. 

Look up yeast diaper rash pics in a search engine to see if that's what your kiddo's rash looks like. 

It was never an issue when we were cloth diapering DS. He never got rashes, we never had repelling or stinkiness issues. This is the first time I've had any detergent problems.

While we try to find something that works, we decided to put her in 'sposies to protect the cloth diapers, but this seems to be making her rash *worse* even though these are the sensitive ones. She did okay in them for several weeks, as we had been gifted with several packs, but now seems to have the most ridiculously sensitive skin.

I'm changing her constantly and have some Bum Bum Balm coming in the mail. There is nowhere locally that carries anything so I just have to wait to receive it. I'll try out that Naturoli stuff. Seems a pretty decent price. Considering I have enough diapers to go 3 days between washes, one bottle would be almost a year's worth, so it seems to be a good investment.

Quote:

Quote:

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#52 of 59 Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Here you go. This is what I was thinking of.

http://www.northernessence.com/catalog.php?category=64

I like their regular rash salve with the TTO and lavender essential oils in it and they also appear to have one specifically for yeast infections called "better butt(er) cream"

I've loved their diaper salves and intend to get more for new baby. 

#53 of 59 Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM

My favorite it just prefolds with wool covers. Though, daddy and grandma prefer AIOs...

#54 of 59 Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 AM

I broke out the Blueberry coveralls yesterday.  They have snaps instead of Aplix like our thirsties.  I got home from work and asked my husband if he had used the new covers at all, and he gave me this death glare and said "I HATE THOSE" and walked away.  I guess he's not a fan of snaps ROTFLMAO.gif  

#55 of 59 Old 12-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghan711 View Post

I broke out the Blueberry coveralls yesterday.  They have snaps instead of Aplix like our thirsties.  I got home from work and asked my husband if he had used the new covers at all, and he gave me this death glare and said "I HATE THOSE" and walked away.  I guess he's not a fan of snaps ROTFLMAO.gif  

LOL! Hubbies don't seem to have the patience for them. Mine doesn't particularly like the snap diapers I have either but will use them. I got some side-snapping dream-eze. But, he doesn't know how to get the same fit with them that I do. I'm sure I'll be doing most of the newborn-6 month diaper changes - if not all...

EDIT:

I think pre-stuffed pocket diapers and AIO diapers with velcro are most likely to get use from the hubbies/partners out there.

#56 of 59 Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

LOL! Hubby's don't seem to have the patience for them. Mine doesn't particularly like the snap diapers I have either but will use them. I got some side-snapping dream-eze. But, he doesn't know how to get the same fit with them that I do. I'm sure I'll be doing most of the newborn-6 month diaper changes - if not all...

I don't know what's with DH's :) Mine can't figure out prefolds, despite having done oragami professionally at one time.

He can, at least, figure out snaps, and calls Mother-Ease diapers "Daddy-Ease".

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#57 of 59 Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM

We just got a whole bunch of bummis covers! joy.gif The mother ease (with aplix) were not working for us. So far loving the bummis coverage, no leak-throughs.

We moved up a size with our diaper service and this size works better for us, too. Though I did break down and grab some 'sposies for night times, it has been fantastic to get more than an hour sleep at a time, and when he fusses just stick him straight to the boob instead of waking him with a change constantly.

I have to say, my main squeeze is king of diaper changes and loves using cloth, snaps or aplix. He calls himself the diaper ninja, he can change Dez without waking him - a skill I haven't yet mastered.

#58 of 59 Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Farren, what a beautiful photo of you and Dez! I just noticed it.

We just got some Workhorse diapers from Green Mountain Diapers.  They are basically prefolds converted to fitteds, which is awesome for us. Paige just hit 9 pounds, so I bought the smalls...they are smaller than I thought they would be, which is disappointing, but otherwise are great. I do think if I buy the mediums, I'll get the snap-less ones and just use a Snappi with them. I think I'd get better fit that way. Anyway, she has about outgrown the Kissaluvs in the rise - she's tall and skinny orngbiggrin.gif  I ordered some BumGenius one-size AIO's as well, the Elementals which are organic cotton inners. I really like having a mix of diaper kinds (currently using prefolds, fitteds, AIOs, and disposables, mostly with Thirsties Duo wraps and occasionally wool longies).  The only leak issues we've had have been with some of the one-size diapers, which I think are just too big for her still. I think they'll work great in another couple of pounds, though (I have GroVia, KiwiPie, MotherEase and one other, all bought gently used as samples)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#59 of 59 Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page