Evening fussies??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone dealing with the evening fussies?? Some nights Evie is off the wall unsettled for hours, other nights just for an hour or so. It's driving me crazy! Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it????

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#2 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Ian has been doing the same thing. :( apparently pretty common.. we started him on probiotics yesterday and have been doing gripe water...havent seen any results yet. :(

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#3 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM

It's developmentally normal. You can't really fix it, just go with the flow, really. Do whatever works - bounce, rock, feed frequently. Let baby set the pace.

No one really knows why babies do it, but it's very, very common.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#4 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM

same here! i have an angel baby all day an dmost of the night. but from about 7pm to 10pm....before he falls asleep for bed...he get sso gassy and fussy. it's really tiring cause its so hard to get him happy and comfortable. he gets so squirmy and we spend those 3 hours or so just trying to get him settled. he is 3 weeks old. and i am wondering how long it will last. ...seems pretty comman. but i don't remember my others doing it quite as much.....

#5 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 PM

My LO is only 3 months - from about 3 weeks on he started to get very cranky around 5PM...i took him for a nice long walk in the baby carrier - he loved it.  I have no idea how old your baby is...and of course, its been 40 degrees and rainy most days around here! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM

same problem here except he seems to think evening means midnight till 4am.  The only thing that seems to work is me constantly bouncing and rocking him.  I think we are going to borrow a swing for tonight.  mommy is exhaused!

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#7 of 12 Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 AM

hazel haD her first fussy time a few nights ago after a day in town. she was pretty sad last night as well, but only for about an hour.. i find that its usually because she needs to poop..we are ec'ing and she hasn't pooped in a diaper since she was a few days old.  holding her in ec position over the sink seems to REALLY relieve belly pain..so its a double bonus.

something i

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#8 of 12 Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Ian's "fussy" time has turned into an all-out scream-fest. :( It is so sad, he just cries and cries and nothing I can do helps him. We have an appointment with his ped on Tuesday for a checkup, and I'm going to bring up reflux and maybe start him on some Zantac.. I'm pretty sure he has reflux, as he has all of the "symptoms."

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#9 of 12 Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 PM

We have had some luck with the swing for the middle of the night fussies.  It seems to be the only thing that helps besides constantly rocking him in my arms. 

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#10 of 12 Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 AM

DS is three weeks old now and I'm starting to see a ramping up of the evening fussies.  With his sister, we struggled with this for a while until we reached a breakthrough - she needed to be "put to bed" every night in our bedroom rather than "staying up" with us downstairs, using the Happiest Baby on the Block techniques.  Last night around 9:30pm DS went from fussing to inconsolable wailing even though he had just been changed & fed, was being rocked, etc.  Well, the same thing worked for him that worked for DD - dark room, swaddle tightly, put on some loud white noise (I got some white noise ocean sounds from itunes) and rock him until he's out, then tuck him into the cosleeper.  Within about 30 seconds of the white noise being turned on he calmed down and fell deeply asleep - no joke!  He slept from 10pm until 3:30am which is his longest stretch so far.  Hope I'm not jinxing it by posting this!  

Unlike his sister, so far DS does not like the swing or the pacifier, so that has made calming him a little more challenging.  He really would like to be held or worn 24/7.

#11 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM

It peaks around 6-8 weeks, totally normally but definitely worse for some families. Happiest Baby on the Block techniques were a life saver for us and thankfully there is a short DVD so you don't have to read a book. By 3 months, things should be much better and believe me, you'll get to that point fast!

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#12 of 12 Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisep View Post

It peaks around 6-8 weeks, totally normally but definitely worse for some families. Happiest Baby on the Block techniques were a life saver for us and thankfully there is a short DVD so you don't have to read a book. By 3 months, things should be much better and believe me, you'll get to that point fast!

I really hope that's the case here. Eira is 8 weeks today, and the last week or so has been pretty bad. She seems to be dairy sensitive, and I realized today that cheese is the third ingredient in the salad dressing I normally use. Oops. Hopefully cutting that out will make her a bit happier. And, while I'm dissapointed about losing the dressing, I'm glad to discover there was something I was missing, and I don't have to go trying to eliminate eggs or wheat or something.

Not looking forward to tomorrow - we have a Christmas party midday, and a cub scout pack meeting in the evening, and I'm leery of my ability to eat safely at either of them. In my old town, I could pretty much count on at least one person bringing a vegan dish, but I don't think so here.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page