Vida is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The baby finally arrived!!!

Vida was born on November 23 at 2:08pm; weighing 7lbs, 11.8oz; measuring 20.8"; with a head circumference of 36cm.

Here Vida is!

Vida 1a.JPG

Vida 2a.JPGVida & Serafina

Big sister, Serafina is totally in love as well!

Sonja's water broke during the ultrasound to make sure there was enough fluid in there. haha. So we made the decision to stay, but we were on the high-risk floor of the hospital, even though the whole pregnancy was low-risk, because the pregnancy was 42weeks + 5 days. Luckily we already had our bags packed just in case. We had a beautiful sari covering the yucky fluorescent lights, and had all our own linens, clothing and diapers. We also brought the posters I made with positive birth affirmations on them that we plastered all over the room. Not to mention the night light for mood lighting. ;)

Labour was long and Sonja got pretty tired, but who says "Oh, my labour was too short!" lol So Vida was born without any intervention with the exception of intermittent fetal heart monitoring; her heart rate stayed high throughout the whole two days we were there. Sonj stayed in control of her body, trusted birth, and didn't even have any pelvic exams! She birthed standing up, and I got to catch Vida! It was one of the most amazing times of my entire life! I totally ugly-cried I was so happy. Haha! Our doula caught our OB-GYN on film saying, "That was amazing; more wymyn should birth upright!"

Our nurse came in thirty minutes later to tell us that we had changed her life. We also heard that our OB-GYN says that she plans to change the entire way she practises. We feel so honoured!

Placenta was born an hour or two later, and our whole family (even our doula!) each had a small piece of it on some yummy crackers that our friend brought when she delivered us some of her breastmilk to supplement with, and some delicious home made beet soup. Our daughter said it tasted good!

I feel so blessed to have had this time with my family, and am enjoying our babymoon immensely!

)O(

(Cross-post from Queer & Pregnant)

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What cuties! Congrats-sounds like a fantastic birth! joy.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congratulations!

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Congrats on the new little one! Sounds like the most ideal hospital birth possible! Glad they were so accommodating.

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That was beautiful! happytears.gifThank you for sharing & welcome Vida! love.gif

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM

Congratulations!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Congratulations! She's beautiful and I love her name. :)

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM

She is absolutely lovely - congratulations!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Congrats!!  Both of your girls are beautiful!love.gif

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks, everyone! love.gif

I'm a queer, poly, pagan, (dis)abled, crazy, crunchy, intersectionally-minded feminist. fsonj & I are mamas to our unschooled/freeschooled 12yo & 3yo!  (Ask me about co-breastfeeding, supplementing at the breast, inducing lactation, eating placentas, undisturbed birth, and parenting a genderqueer child with Aspergers!)

User Tag List