EC Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Is anyone else doing Elimination Communication with their baby?

We tried it with DS, and it worked, but had to stop at about a year due to some life circumstances, and it ended up being a lot of work with no real payoff in the end.

I tried with DD1, and never got the hang of it with her.

I wasn't even going to bother this time, but Eira kept peeing nearly every time her diaper was off. So I took her to the potty, and it worked, so we're giving it another shot.

At the moment, I'm just offering the potty at changing times. When it gets a bit warmer and changes don't require major clothing removal, I'll probably start offering every hour or so and doing diaperless time.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#2 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we are, but being pretty relaxed about it..life with 4 kids is hard enough without trying to catch every pee.. that said, Hazel insists on pooping in the sink. she will NOT poop in a diaper. she gets very mad about it. today she was half asleep and had a big fart and woke herself up and i took her to the sink and she went and seemed very happy with herself despite frightening herself with the sound of it (she has a sore belly today from something i ate) its so cute seeing her concentrate so hard then tell me she is all done with a specific little bum wiggle. i love EC.

im also finding that i want to keep her bundled so its not as easy.. i think EC in summer is way easier, but i have had 4 winter/fall babies and we did alright in the end.

i hear you about feeling frustrated on it not working out 100% with your dd.. my 3yo was amazing with EC till she started to crawl, then it became such a struggle and she was in diapers till spring of this year. she flat out refused to go on the potty/toilet to poop for the longest time even though the first 6 months of her life she barely pooped in a diaper. i was fairly irritated with the situation.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM

I did it in a fairly relaxed fashion with my 3 year old... I didn't stress about catching every pee and poo, actually I don't think I ever did catch a poo with her. She would with hold, from a very young age. I'll likely try some with Marah but I actually see it being a bit less successful than with Sage because Marah seems to always have pee. Copiously. lol Maybe she'll slow some when she gets bigger.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 4 Old 12-04-2010, 06:58 AM

We did it with DD starting at 3 months when I first heard about it. We were pretty relaxed about it- kept a cloth diaper on her and would just take it off to take her potty after nursing, sleeping, etc. Sometimes we would go for days making almost every "catch", but if anything was going on like teething, learning to crawl...then we missed a lot. Overall though it was a great experience for us. She pooped in her diaper less than 10 times since we started EC until she was out of her diapers at 11 months, never had diaper rash, and usually held her pee until we took her to the bathroom in the morning. You know what we got that I love- a toilet seat with a built in potty seat. I love it! Here is a link if you want to check it out. It makes the process that much easier. Check to make sure you get the round or elongated version depending on the toilet you have. Good luck with your ECing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IKONT8?ie=UTF8&tag=ehow0f7-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003IKONT8  Who knew you could ever get so excited about a toilet seat! LOL!

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page