Weekly Chat Thread starting 1/8/10! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm taking the initiative and starting a new thread.  I like new beginnings!

It's so weird that the December thread is filling up with birth announcements, isn't it?  November seemed to go by in a flash!

So we started this morning with Nystatin and I'm taking Fluconazole.  I read a ton about natural remedies, but in the end decided to take the path of least resistance.  The pharmacy where I could get APNO is over half an hour away in one direction, and the hfs that would have gentian violet or gse is over half an hour away in the other direction.  On top of that, we got a foot and a half of snow dumped on us in the last few days, and the temps are well below freezing, so it's not good traveling weather!

I just want us to get better asap so I can start pumping and saving milk for work.  I haven't tried giving Maia a bottle yet, and will now wait until this little crisis is passed before making things more complicated!  My first day back to work is Jan.10th.  I'm only going to be working 8 hrs a week, so i shouldn't be such a baby about it, but the whole bottle feeding and pumping thing just throws me into a tizzy.  It's so busy at work that i'm afraid I'm going to miss pumpings, and afraid of my milk supply diminishing and Maia becoming less interested in nursing and finally weaning, which is what happened with ds.

My postpartum sadness has gone away a little, but I'm still feeling *very* anxious.  Still also very headachey and not getting much sleep.  I'm really working on drinking tons of water since I think I'm dehydrated and esp since I'm taking the fluconazole I want my system to be able to flush itself out really well.

I tried to get away from wearing pads for a few days to give myself a break, and that went great until this morning at the breakfast table when a little gush sent me running to the bathroom.  So the moral of the story is, it ain't over til it's over!

I'm going to try to get some grocery shopping done without the baby today -- wish me luck!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 AM

I feel like November went by way too fast too!  I think this time of year always flies by with all the holidays but this year with a newborn added to the mix, I feel like I blinked and it was over!  I can't believe little Carys is already 3 weeks old.  I had mastitis over the weekend and was feeling pretty sorry for myself.  I had a high fever and the chills so bad that my shivering actually made my back hurt.  Luckily my mw suggested hot compresses with fabric soaked in castor oil and that totally cleared it up so I didn't need antibiotics.  Carys is sleeping pretty much all night long (don't hate me!) and that probably contributed to my plugged duct.  Also I worry that her sleeping so much at night is bad for my milk supply?  She doesn't even seem particularly starving when she wakes up in the morning.  She nurses a ton in the evenings so maybe that makes up for the night.  My older daughter never slept this much (or at all, really) so I don't really know what's normal. 

My in laws visited over the weekend and it was so annoying because they were only here for 2 days, they stayed at as hotel 5 minutes from our house but still didn't make it over here until 11 each day even though they wake up really early.  Then they wanted to go out and do stuff but with lunchtime and DD1's naptime approaching, getting out of the house for a big outing like the zoo or kid's museum at 11:30 is just too late for us.  So we ended up mostly sitting around each day and then they were kind of bored.  FIL just messed around on the computer and mil held the baby a lot and washed some dishes for us but that's about it.  They really didn't help out with much or even play with DD1 that much.  They didn't even help us decorate our christmas tree.  DD1 was disappointed with their visit and that made me sad because she was SO excited to have them come.  DH is really annoyed with his parents but didn't want to talk to them about it when they were here because it was too late to fix this visit.  He's going to wait until they come to visit again and then set out some expectations. 

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#3 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Julie- My anxiety is still bad, too. I have bottles I wanted to try with Molly so I can go work out a couple of times a week, but am afraid to introduce them unless necessary. I bought the noob shaped ones, but still...

And I can't blame you for taking the (hopefully) quicker mode against thrush. I have heard countless thrush horror stories. I'm sure I'd do the same!

Molly is also sttn sometimes. It freaks me out. I wake her up and try to make her eat and she won't. None of my other kids did this except maybe the first couple of days.

Help? http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1284302/newborn-refusing-feedings-sttn

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM

STTN does seem pretty unusual, however I've got one that is doing it too (now and again).  Waking her to feed is just useless, but she's gaining well, is content most of the time, so I've decided that I'm just not going to worry about it.  And I'm going to be very very thankful.

#5 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post

STTN does seem pretty unusual, however I've got one that is doing it too (now and again).  Waking her to feed is just useless, but she's gaining well, is content most of the time, so I've decided that I'm just not going to worry about it.  And I'm going to be very very thankful.

This is how I feel too.  Mostly thankful as i know that her sleep habits may change any day now.  I know she's eating enough and she's a pretty content baby, I just worry about my milk supply but I think it's okay. I guess I just can't be totally worry-free. 

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#6 of 76 Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 PM

My dd2 slept through the night from 6 weeks old - 4 months, then started night waking again.  Didn't STTN consistently again until 2.5 years old.  I EBF her until 6 months and she weaned at 27 months, so the STTN didn't affect my milk supply.  HTH!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#7 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
UGH! I sat here and typed (mostly one-handed) a whole reply and then somehow hit a keystroke to close the tab - and it didn't give the "you've entered text on this page" warning. eyesroll.gif <-- Actually, it's all the fault of that smiley. I tried to click on it to insert it and I couldn't tell where it went, tried to fix it, and it all went away. Ugh.

Anyway... Subbing. Hoping Eliana sleeps. She just fell asleep and now she's wiggling and I'm afraid she'll wake up *again.* greensad.gif

Saw MW today and did birth cert stuff. Talked to her about Eliana's eyes, too. One opens more than the other (eyelids seem to be affected but the eye has seemed fine and vision appears to be fine). She said she'd seen it since birth, as had I, though my DH has blown it off for the most part. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's seen it over time. Pedi wasn't worried (yet) and said to watch it, which MW agrees with - watch for any changes. Hopefully it's something minor that will resolve on its own over time, but it does make me worry more about other things I *think* I see with her eyes, which may or may not be just normal newborn stuff. dizzy.gif

MW also reminded me that this is still very much the postpartum/recovery period and I (we!) should be taking it *easy*. I'm hoping I can figure out how to do that with MIL here. MIL doesn't tend to like to do a lot out so I may well have time to rest most days. I napped right after they got in this afternoon because I was utterly exhausted, Eliana was asleep, Judah was asleep... I actually woke up before Ellie did! (I mean, I was awoken and got up. lol.gif)

I think we've gotten some "real" smiles today... Big smiles when she was clearly awake, though not necessarily looking at a person.

She's starting to get some newborn acne. My boys never had much so I'm wondering if it will be different with a girl.

How many hours do you mean by STTN? I'm curious how long a stretch she gets, but have a hard time caring to check times when I'm asleep. lol.gif

Hopefully she sleeps longer than 5 minutes at a stretch tonight... eyesroll.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#8 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Heather, one of Maia's eyes opens more than the other too.  Her left eye seemed bruised and swollen when she was born, and still appears not to have resolved completely.  Then she has a blocked duct in her right eye, so she's a little mess!  I think fast births can cause more trauma. greensad.gif

Oh, and "taking it easy"?  Please!  I skipped right over taking it easy and went straight to being the bionic mother!  Cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, lugging the groceries into the car and the house... all on very little sleep.  But honestly, I still remind myself every day that I'm SSSOOOO incredibly grateful to have passed through the pregnancy stage.  I feel so good, even being exhausted!  Now if I can just dispel these baby blues...

Is it just me, or is anyone else's digestive system taking a while to go back to normal?  I'm still dealing with constipation, and am trying not to go crazy with magnesium or miralax or anything, because I don't know what will affect Maia through my breastmilk.   

As far as STTN, Maia sleeps 5 hours at the beginning of the night and then gets up every 2 to 3 hours after that.  But she really doesn't go down for the night until 9 or 10.  I wonder if that long stretch happens because she's in her bassinet, because then she comes into bed with me and stays there.

Desiree, sorry you're having a hard time with the bfing.  Trying to build up a milk supply by pumping has got to really stink.  I don't know why, but I *hate* pumping!  I looked up OALD and realize that's exactly what our problem is.  Maia swallows so much air trying to keep up with my letdown -- she sounds like she's drowning!  And then she spits up a TON!  I have to keep telling myself that she 's having more than adequate stools and wets, and I can tell she's growing just by looking at her.  But it's disconcerting that she nurses and then I sit her up and she just keeps giving a big burp/vomit and milk just comes pouring out of her mouth.  I would say up to an hour after nursing she's still liable to spit up a fairly large amount just out of the blue.  My clothes are a mess by the end of the day!  Does anybody else's baby do this?

So I don't know what I was thinking about going shopping without Maia!  I was getting ready to go yesterday and me and DH totally got cold feet about it!  So I brought her with me and forgot my sling (ugh!) so I had to lug the car seat in and push it around in the cart and she slept until we got home anyway! lol.gif

#9 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 07:51 AM

As far as the difference in eye size goes, my older dd has this.  I noticed it at birth and it did not resolve.  Ped was a little worried so we had her checked out by an eye doctor.  He was concerned too as there were a couple things to rule out, glaucoma being the major one.  She did NOT have that.  However, we watch her eye growth carefully still with yearly check ups (did twice yearly check up for two years).  It hasn't actually resolved even at 3 and maybe never will, but it is much less noticeable now than what it was.  One of the odd things that we still notice is that it shows up in photos more than real life.  At first I thought it was only her eye lid, but the actual size of her eyes are different.  I wouldn't be too worried (I actually think the little one might have this too, but can't tell yet) but just keep watching it.  I think it is more common than most people think.

Wish I could take it easy.  I have no idea how one is supposed to accomplish that when you have older kids.  Rachel goes down for the night at 8 or so and I would guess that I'm feeding her twice during the night until about 6am.  However, I guess what I mean by sttn is that she doesn't actually have any wakeful periods during that time (unless the girl has to poop, then wiggle, wiggle, wiggle...).  She sleeps with her head resting on my breast like a pillow and latches whenever she feels like it.

And I so agree about the regularity issue.  Good grief.

#10 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Julie-- Ian does that too, and i def have oald.. but he's gained 2 lbs over his birthweight already so im not too worried ;)

sometimes his spitup is really chunky? what is that about?!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#11 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Baby has been sleeping up to 4.5 hrs in the first stretch...boy that feels good to get a solid block of sleep.  She's been in the bed with us so far but DH started pushing for her to go in the bassinet and I've used it the past few nights.  She's still right next to me, but I miss her in the bed.  She starts getting fussy in the early hours so comes back into bed then. 

My oldest started SSTN (like 8 hrs) at about 6 weeks to 2 months.  I worried at the time about loosing my supply or getting my period back.  Then she stopped STTN and went back to very frequent waking for a long, long time.

I'm anxious to talk to my midwife in 2 weeks when she has her 6 week checkup, I've got OALD too, had it for DD1 so I'm used to managing it but she didn't have the spitting up issues and I'm a little worried about refulx too.

I also feel WAY better with a newborn than I did pregnant.  I'm sleep deprived but it's a totally different (and better) kind of tiredness than I had while preggo.  I feel alive again and have energy to do things.  It's great!

Oh, and yes with the constipation.  I keep giving birth to bricks, and with a big old hemmorid I have a little mini crowing experience everytime I go.  Ouchie.

Got to go, babe needs some TLC

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#12 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 AM

At least I'm not the only one with a sleepy baby! My other kids were SUCH terrible sleepers. They still wake several times a night. But Molly is sleeping from 10pm-6am without eating and then she barely eats again (snacking more like it) until noon. It freaks me out! That's too long! I wake her at 4 trying to make her eat but she refuses.

And yes, I also need to be taking my magnesium!

Molly has also been spitting up a lot more than the other kids. Mostly in the past week. Even over an hour after eating she pukes TONS. It's pretty crazy. Hopefully it's just dairy, if not, I'm going to check out reflux like Catie suggested. I think my OALD is exacerbating the problem.

#13 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Dd2 spat up a ton - at least one huge one a day - but (knock on wood) Nicholas has only had 1 of these so far.  Last night, all over me.  Yuck!

I did too much yesterday - walked with dh and kids to pick up dd1 from school (25 minute walk each way) and made cookies (so, stood for 2 hours).  I was super sore afterwards and my bleeding increased by a large amount.  I guess I know what I can and can't do in the next couple of weeks!

Last night was the worst night of sleep since N was born - I would manage to latch him on, but then he would let the nipple go and I would leak all over the bed and he would fuss, again and again.  I was a sticky mess when I woke up this morning!  And no chance of a nap today...

I agree EG, it's so hard to rest when you have older kids!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#14 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseykn View Post

My in laws visited over the weekend and it was so annoying because they were only here for 2 days, they stayed at as hotel 5 minutes from our house but still didn't make it over here until 11 each day even though they wake up really early.  Then they wanted to go out and do stuff but with lunchtime and DD1's naptime approaching, getting out of the house for a big outing like the zoo or kid's museum at 11:30 is just too late for us.  So we ended up mostly sitting around each day and then they were kind of bored.  FIL just messed around on the computer and mil held the baby a lot and washed some dishes for us but that's about it.  They really didn't help out with much or even play with DD1 that much.

This sounds so much like our visits from relatives. So disappointing!  At least the grandparents took the boy (3.5yo) on a few outings - that helped. 

*sigh* was going to say more but baby is fussing.

Oh, Julie - if you can't get APNO, look for clotrimozole (usually sold as Lotrimin for athlete's foot) at the grocery, Target, whatever. It's the anti-fungal that's in APNO and can be used solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my kidlets and me View Post

Dd2 spat up a ton - at least one huge one a day - but (knock on wood) Nicholas has only had 1 of these so far.  Last night, all over me.  Yuck!

I did too much yesterday - walked with dh and kids to pick up dd1 from school (25 minute walk each way) and made cookies (so, stood for 2 hours).  I was super sore afterwards and my bleeding increased by a large amount.  I guess I know what I can and can't do in the next couple of weeks!

Last night was the worst night of sleep since N was born - I would manage to latch him on, but then he would let the nipple go and I would leak all over the bed and he would fuss, again and again.  I was a sticky mess when I woke up this morning!  And no chance of a nap today...

I agree EG, it's so hard to rest when you have older kids!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#15 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM

How awake are everybody's babies? Molly has been a grumpasaurus and needing rocked/walked/moved and made happy most of the day but today she's slept most of the day. I keep trying to wake her and she's responsive but does NOT want to be awake. As in she's sleeping if I *gasp* lay her down even. Maybe the dairy is getting out of my system already? No hives today.

#16 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post

sometimes his spitup is really chunky? what is that about?!

With my older DS that happened when I would eat dairy. I'm trying to avoid dairy from the get-go this time, but when I had a roll that I *think* may have had dairy in it last week, Silas spit up chunks that night -- the only time he's done so.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#17 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Desiree, is she so sleepy that she's not nursing?  I know you said she's not nursing well anyway, but is there any way to weigh her and make sure she's gaining?  I assume she's having enough wets and stools?  I would just worry that she's becoming *more* sleepy because she's eating less.  I don't know.  It's probably just my postpartum anxiety rearing it ugly head.  Maia sleeps for a couple hours at a time with wakeful periods in between.  Some days she seems way more sleepy than other days, and some days she's more wakeful and fussy.  But she pretty consistently nurses at least every few hours except for her 5 hour stretch at night.  HTH.

Karen, I'm using Nystatin cream.  Is clotrimazole better, do you think?  Or did you use them concurrently?

I'm starting to wonder if I should cut out dairy too, based on what I'm reading here.  Maia spits up so much, and sometimes it is chunky.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if i can tell a difference.  I'm avoiding sugar and carbs anyway because of the thrush anyway, so why not throw in dairy?  It'll be a blue, blue Christmas for sure!  BTW, does dairy include eggs, buttermilk and yogurt?  Or just milk and cheese?  Or does it just depend on the level of sensitivity?

#18 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Dairy includes all dairy for a lot of babies. Whey, casein-anything with dairy. Eggs are a seperate deal. I have to avoid the obvious of milk & cheese, but also buttermilk, yogurt, butter, most margarines that have dairy in them and a million things with hidden dairy.

She's actually nursing fine today-not wonderful, but better than she has been except for last night. She wakes up to eat and passes right back out.

#19 of 76 Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM

I "think" my boys would be sleeping longer stretches during the night by now but I cant be sure because I have to wake them up every 3 hours to give them their sodium, so shrug.gif.

I agree about not really being able to take it easy when you have older children, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  Today I finally said screw it, I am going to focus on getting these boys to breastfeed.  So the house looks like a tornado blew through it and my oldest dd fixed sandwiches and such for everyone to eat all day and that is just the way it had to be.  I feel pretty guilty about it and taking a peek at our laundry just from one day off from me (dh is working so no housework from him either) makes me think it may end up being a pretty long recovery process but hopefully it will be worth it.  We had the most successful day with breastfeeding so far but still have a VERY long way to go.  It is like they change their minds at random and swing back and forth between loving the breast and hating it.nut.gif

Has anyone else been feeling totally drained? We had gotten the formula so I could get some sleep but seriously it seems like no matter how much sleep I get I am still absolutely killed and sore.  I felt fine up until a couple of weeks ago.  I am thinking I have just been making really bad food choices out of convenience so I had dh pick up some things and I am going to do a mostly raw veggie clean and see if that perks me up.  I also have been drinking filtered tap water instead of our spring water, so maybe that makes a difference?  We have a really great local spring that bottles their water but you can also go and get it yourself.  One of the conditions when they started bottling it was that they had to leave it free for the public to be able to get themselves from the source like they always have.  Best water ever.http://www.rockcastlespring.com/   http://www.rockcastlespring.com/ 

Casey, I am so sorry that your visit from the in-laws went so badly.hug2.gif  Trust me I completely empathise, especially the part with your little ones being disappointed, it can break your heart if you think too long on it.

So how is everyone's Christmas/holiday preparations going?  I am sooo far behind it is ridiculous.  I owe my kids big time this year.  I read once about a family that got so tired of the holidays being a giant fight/disappointment that they decided to do a holiday re-do a few months later each year that was just them.  I am seriously thinking about doing that...

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#20 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Dairy includes all dairy for a lot of babies. Whey, casein-anything with dairy. Eggs are a seperate deal. I have to avoid the obvious of milk & cheese, but also buttermilk, yogurt, butter, most margarines that have dairy in them and a million things with hidden dairy.

She's actually nursing fine today-not wonderful, but better than she has been except for last night. She wakes up to eat and passes right back out.

That's good to hear, Desiree.  I know I said this before, but I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of that.  hug2.gif

And hug2.gif  Sasha. Yay for the boys nursing even sometimes, at least!  Hopefully that'll just keep getting better at it as they get older!

#21 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Ugh, baby and I both have colds, and it's my second since she was born.  greensad.gif  Downside to having a winter baby I guess.  Poor girl has a stuffy nose, and I've got a cough. On the plus side I got a bunch of Chrsitmas shopping done yesterday...thank goodness for Amazon and super saver shipping!  All the out of town relatives are getting books, lol. 

Well, time for a cough drop and to nurse.  It's going to be a looong day.

#22 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM

How did my newborn turn into a one month old baby????  She was 10pounds, 3 ounces at her check up this morning.  That gives her a gain of 18 ounces in 11 days which, of course, the doctor thought was great.  I keep thinking that she looks little, though, since my other 2 gained even faster.  We've made plans to have her baptized on the 19th and I thought that she's be able to wear this cute little red outfit that a friend gave me, but it's a 3 to 6 month, so I'm not sure.  But I don't want to buy a small outfit and have it not fit.  Sigh.  Baby fashions - much more exciting than mommy fashions.  I'm back to all my prepregnancy clothes and I'm a little depressed about that - surely some of this fat is baby fat and not my own? 

#23 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 01:54 PM

I haven't read everything in the thread yet... but wanted to comment on a few things and I have a question of my own. :)

STTN, both my girls slept in 6 hour stretches for the first few weeks. Sage would sleep from 11-5, it was crazy because my boys nursed all night long. We slept through the nursing, lol, but they still did... Marah is similar to Sage in her eating habits.

Spit up, I have a very forceful letdown and oversupply... Marah has a heck of a time keeping up and is often urpy. She has had a few incidents on my left breast where my letdown reflex has actually triggered her gag reflex and she's vomited profusely!! All of my babes were spitters though... so to me it's more a laundry issue than a real concern. :)

Anybody elses babe not poop daily?? Marah really has never pooped daily, when she did it was one big explosion instead of a bunch of little ones. Now she's spaced herself out to every 4-5 days... this happened with my other nurslings but usually after they were 2 mos old not fresh babes. She is growing, pees lots and lots, seems relatively happy not in pain or overly gassy... though the day before she poops she does fart more. She eats well... I don't count how often because there hasn't seemed to be a reason to keep track. I can hear her guzzling, keeping up with my letdown and see lots of milk dribbling out of her mouth after a feed. So I'm more than certain she's getting enough. Oh... and when she goes it seems normal color, not overly 'seedy/curdy' but still in the realm of what I consider normal.

I miss you all... I've been rather busy the past few days. I pop in to read but feel I hardly have time to post, naking isn't overly easy for us yet. I still have to hold my boob for her, lol.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#24 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Nic-my older DD pooped on a once or twice a week basis from the very beginning and that went on until she started solids.  Made diaper washing easy for the most part but I had to get used to the gigantic poo explosions, lol.  Somehow she always managed them when we were out of the house.  So far DD2 is a little more regular, sometimes it's every day, sometimes it's every few days.  I've never been overly worried about it since everything else seems normal.

#25 of 76 Old 12-10-2010, 06:15 PM

I figured it was normal along with everything else seeming normal, too... like I said my bigs did the same thing it just wasn't right away. I can remember panicking when my first nursling did that to me. I really thought something was terribly wrong, he was constipated and used suppositories a few times with him... but there really wasn't a problem and when my second nursling did the same and then my first daughter I just take it as they are using all of my milk to grow. No waste :) It is nice on the dipes... I'll appreciate it when I'm using cloth. I'm still being lazy, my laundry is out of control... I really should be doing that right now. Instead I'm sitting on the couch, snuggling with the babe... being totally lazy. lol

I'm so ready for this lochia to go away... I actually started bleeding harder today than I have in 2 weeks. WTF? It was pretty much gone but every time I go padless it starts up again... I'm having issues wearing any pads right now because they all rub on my stitches, so when it started up today I just said eff it and put a chux pad under me. (I'm wearing black yoga capris) I think my stitches need some air to heal, my poor perineum is seriously jacked up right now and so uncomfortable... I have never taken this long to physically heal from a birth.. or at least I wasn't still in this kind of discomfort. :/ With my 2nd and 3rd I was dtd by this point...

#26 of 76 Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 AM

Nic, I'm so sorry you're still dealing with stitches! Ugh! greensad.gif That was the worst part of my recovery and by about a week it stopped getting worse and started getting better. My MW suggested I was probably allergic to the sutures used (not ones she typically uses but pulled out by the assistant). Pretty much all pads irritated mine, too. My brain is mush but I'm thinking you had a lot more to start with. That just sounds awful to still be dealing with. greensad.gif Oh! ETA - do you have any EMAB mama bottom balm? That stuff is really good for stitches and such! When mine were bad, I'd wad up some toilet paper and dab it in the balm, then dab that on the stitches. It hurt a lot more to touch with fingers (and freaked me out, too) but the TP thing worked well enough. I used some of the balm today for sudden pain that felt almost like a skin split again (not related to the stitches) and it hasn't hurt since. Perhaps it'll help boost your healing a bit?

I think sitting on the couch snuggling a baby sounds like just the right thing to do! *Especially* when your body is telling you it needs to heal. I told my MW I felt like I was being lazy sitting on the couch and having my boys do pretty much everything. We've gotten a bunch of laundry done in the last couple of weeks (not nearly all but almost all of *theirs* - whew!) only because I've had them do just about *everything!* I help with sorting and hanging shirts, but they have gotten it out of their room, sorted into lights/darks, put it in the washer, added detergent and turned it on (I've done that some), moved it from washer to dryer, moved from dryer to couch, sorted out non-hanging items, sorted those into personal piles, and put it all away. And I'm kinda really proud of myself for teaching them how to do all of it at only 6 and 8. I feel like when they're teens - or at least grown men! - they'll know how to do laundry. lol.gif

Anyway, my MW was admonishing me about feeling lazy. I totally and absolutely know (as does she, as we laughed about) how impossible it is to do *nothing* these days. But it needs to really, truly be okay to do as little as possible. Focusing on recovery should be high on our lists. I'm sure it's not for most of us (me included!) but she has told me before and told me again that healing won't happen without taking time to rest and recuperate. Better to do it now than never *quite* get back to "normal." So, perhaps it's better to banish the thought of being lazy and instead think of it as "working to get better?" thumb.gif

I'm tending to sit around as much as possible during the day and then scurry around to do a few things at night. So I've just baked cookies (not from scratch, but at least they're all natural!) for the kids' musical after-party tomorrow, moved and folded Eliana's laundry and diapers, and washed a platter to take the cookies on. I've managed to do a few things online that I needed to do, and am hoping to start writing thank you notes. (I'm *terrible* at getting them done but really want to!) Of course, it's 1:30am and I need to have the kids at dress rehearsal at 9:30 (or earlier) and I'm exhausted. And I didn't really take it easy today (installed a couple of car seats, wrangled the kids for our Christmas pictures, washed diapers, bathed 3yo, took big boys for haircuts, etc.). eyesroll.gif

At least Eliana is asleep already! She seems to be down for the night. Whew. The last two nights, she was up and fussy until 3am. Last night, I finally just took her to nurse in the bed and hoped she'd fall asleep and stay asleep there. Very unlike her. Today, the mucous in her diapers is back. greensad.gif I'm guessing it's all related. I'm sure I said I'd start a food diary to try to track it and I haven't done it... But I did have DH get some acidophilus capsules and gave her some of the powder tonight. I'm hoping that will help. My MW says there are studies in mainline medicine showing a 70% reduction (I think that's the number - it was big) in crying in babies who were given acidophilus versus those who weren't. She thinks it's likely to become standard practice to give it to them in the next couple of years. While Eliana isn't super fussy in general, I'm really hoping it'll help her tummy!

On STTN - the other night I did try to pay attention and she slept over 5 hours!! joy.gif That's officially STTN which is just freakishly amazing to me. She's not even 4 weeks old!! I know it'll vary - and that wasn't really a "good" night, either. She was rather wakeful when she woke at 8:20 (having gone to sleep around 3am) and then... oh, wait, I don't remember what happened after that. headscratch.gif

She's definitely not nursing as much at night as I think she should. She latches on long enough to fall asleep again, basically. I'm hoping that's good but it's not a typical behavior for a tiny baby in my own experience. But, my own have never slept this well, so I'll take it and see what happens. thumb.gif

We did official Christmas pictures this afternoon/evening and I *think* we got some that will be good. Which is nice, 'cause DH shot 390 images - 3gb worth of shots. lol.gif Granted, some of those were test shots, but still! You wouldn't think it would be so hard to get 4 elements aligned all at once. All they have to do is be still, smile (hopefully naturally), and look at the camera! We have a zillion shots that are *almost* good, where two of the three boys are looking great and the third looks absurd. Thankfully, Eliana was very cooperative and slept the whole time. love.gif We got some sweet shots of just her, too. I am wishing they were on my computer so I could look at them again and share them, too. Must wait for DH!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#27 of 76 Old 12-11-2010, 02:42 AM

Heather, is your dh a photographer? I somehow never notice the obvious to others so please over look me if that is a stupid question.blush.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#28 of 76 Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 AM

lol.gif And I can never remember who knows what and where more context is needed! smile.gif He's a semi-pro photographer. In other words, it's a very serious and expensive hobby that I wish made him more money. winky.gif

#29 of 76 Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Heather... thanks for the nice words and telling me it's ok to be 'lazy' while I'm healing. I think I definitely needed to hear that. I've been trying to take it easy but I'm also feeling rather stir crazy being cooped up in the house so much... with so many children :) I'm sure I'm not the only one. Most of the time I feel great... it's just the stitches and a tender perineum. If that wasn't there I'd only know I had just given birth by the odd achy sensations in my hip and pelvic bones... ahh well.

Anybody else having issues pooping? I'm sure this is totally tmi and not something everybody wants to talk about so skip it if you feel the need... but I'm averaging a bowel movement like once a week so far. I don't have the urge to go, I'm not uncomfortable either... and while I've never been a daily poop-er I have also not typically gone this long between. Though I suppose there have been times that I have. I'm thinking part of it is psychological.... I don't want to relax and open up to go... also the stitches/perineum but really it doesn't hurt when I go and I'm not really afraid of ripping anything in that vicinity. I think the doctor did something to my rectocele because it's not there anymore, bulging out when I go so maybe that has something to do with it?? and also with how long I'm taking to heal?? bah.. I don't know. and I likely never will because there is just no way in hell I can go back to that doctor. :/

Another question I wanted to ask... anybody using a pacifier? Marah has a period in the evening that she cries and cries. This is normal and I'm not overly worried about it. She desperately wants to suck.... but does not want to nurse. Refuses the breast, gets mad if she does take it because of the milk, etc. I went through this with my first daughter... I used a pacifier with her, too. I only used it when she was crying so hard and nothing would calm her and I didn't use it first thing because I would rather try to 'naturally' soothe her in other ways first. Anyway... Marah will take the pacifier and settle into sleep for the evening, usually waking to nurse shortly after she falls asleep... what a difference a week (or so) makes though. When I first tried the pacifier it changed her latch and I didn't want to mess with that so I didn't try it for awhile but last night she was so upset and I was desperate and she was able to go back and forth from paci to breast with no issues at all. Once she outgrows the evening fussies she'll likely outgrow the need for the pacifier... that's what happened with my Sage.

I'm chatty tonight... and everyone here is either asleep or in their rooms, lol. Marah is conked out in my lap... I should go to bed soon.

#30 of 76 Old 12-11-2010, 10:57 PM

haha.. I just realized I posted about two separate poop issues in the weekly... I guess I'm poop obsessed right now. LOL

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page