Weekly Chat Thread 12/16/10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 12-16-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope it's ok that I'm starting a new thread.

Sorry to everyone who has fussy baby and nursing problems!

Sasha, you're really a trooper to keep going with the breastfeeding!

Karen, my right breast is my problem breast too.  Something about it makes it very difficult for us to get a deep latch.

Nic, I'm sorry about your tear.  I know how hard that can make postpartum recovery.  I had 2nd degree tears with both of my other births and that was hard enough! hug2.gif

And Catie, I'm so sorry that you had that scare with Ian's birth!  I can see how coming to terms with his birth story would be difficult.  hug2.gif

Well, we started out Sunday night/Monday morning with ds waking up vomiting.  We brought him into bed with us and he threw up every 20 minutes until morning.  He's ad diarrhea ever since and a terrible diaper rash that we have yet to get control of.  Luckily he likes pedialyte, so no signs of dehydration yet.  Then the night before last, dd woke up and almost passed out several times (SO scary!) before vomiting, so I sent DH down the hall to her room  and brought her into bed with me, where I helped her vomit every 20 minutes until I started throwing up... Today we're both feeling mostly better, so I cleaned and did laundry and ran errands and then my rght breast started hurting SO badly and I realized I was starting to get a breast infection!!! bawling.gif  So I manually expressed as much milk as I could while Maia was sleeping, took 600 mg of Motrin and woke her up and forced her to nurse in every possible position on that side for the rest of the evening.  I'm feeling better now, but that breast still has that painful "bruised" feeling.  And of course we're still treating the thrush! 

I'm going to bed.  This has been quite an exhausting week!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 56 Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM

Ugh Julie - I hope you feel better in your house soon.  I thought I had mastitis yesterday, but am feeling much better today,

Is a plugged duct always a precursor to mastitis?  

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#3 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 04:18 AM

wow Julie, that is awful! I hope you are all feeling better soon.

Ian is ONE MONTH old today. I can't believe it. We have his appointment this morning, and there is a lot of snow (well, a lot for VA.. lol) so I am sooo nervous about driving! DH is coming too (but driving separate so he can go on to work) so at least he can watch me.. lol.

The screaming has started to sort of change.. it is really inconsinsent.. some nights it is a lot, other nights not as much.. and some days he will scream through each feeding, and other days he is happy as a clam (until the evening...). Although sleep-wise, he is a very restless sleeper, and I am such a light sleeper I wake up with everything.. ugh!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We have DH's family's Christmas get together (his Dad is one of 5 kids, so it is a lot of people!).. Oh, and we are finally done with all of our Christmas shopping.. most of it was done online but I finally finished yesterday.. phew!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Good lord, Julie! hug2.gif I get plugged ducts a lot but so long as I nurse off that side and put pressure above the clog to pump it down and empty it, I don't get mastitis. I hope you feel better!

Catie- Molly is doing the same thing. I think part of it is the milk getting out of my system since my mess up on the 12th. The 13th-15th she screamed for 6+ hours until about 11pm and passed out while we did everything. She would be ok for a minute and then freak out again like she was in pain. Then the 16th it was a little better-maybe 3 hours? Then yesterday she totally flipped out for every meal time so I barely could eat. Every time I got near food she would be inconsolable and then she fussed for about an hour before bed, but altogether was much better. She did wake up screeching like she was having a bad dream or didn't feel good a couple of times, though.

At night she is a deep sleeper, at least, though. My other colicky kids were fine until about 10pm and then screamed until 3am, so I at least like Molly's earlier fussy time!

We also have a family xmas get together this weekend. Yay for getting shopping done!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Oh Julie!  That must have been awful, I hope you are all feeling better soon. 

I went to a get together with all the Oct/Nov moms and babies from my m/w group, it was so neat to see everyone again and see all the sweet babies.  I took Charlotte too and she said 'wow, look at ALL the Claras!'.  lol, she ckacks me up.

Going to a party this weekend with the fam and all my friends are bringing their kids too...should be noisy and fun.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#6 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Desiree, did you ever talk to your ped about reflux? our ped says that is most likely was Ian has, and we got a script for Zantac... normally I am not one for medication, but with Liam we waited until he was 3-4 months old and it had gotten so bad by that point he was screaming through every feeding, and refusing to nurse, etc. I don't want to go through all of that again.. i can't... lol. the doc says to give the zantac 2 weeks and if it doesn't work we will try prevacid. Zantac didn't work for Liam, but like I said we waited so long and I think some damage had been done to his esophagus, so hopefully since we are starting it earlier it will work and we can end it earlier.....

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#7 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

We go to see her Jan. 3rd. smile.gif She is getting better already, though. I think it's largely the dairy.
LadyCatherine185 likes this.

#8 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

As far as I know, mastitis always starts with a plugged duct.  It's happened to me a few times (always with my right breast) where my brest hurts, I find the plugged duct, and immediately start getting chills and body aches.  I just work like crazy to get it unplugged and my symptoms never progress.  I guess I always thought I was "catching it on time", but I don't know... maybe I'm just making that all up?  innocent.gif

My breast is still very tender, especially when it's full.  And it's got red streaks going up it.  I felt awful today, but that's because ds was up in the night throwing up again and we brought him into our bed, and I just didn't sleep well.  I went back to bed twice today with Maia, and am feeling much better now.  Still having cold sweats, achey and no appetite, but I think it's just residual flu symptoms.

#9 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Julie, that's how I get when I get a plugged duct... I 'catch it' just in time, usually and don't need abx. I had a heckuva time with my Sage... though with 2 nursing now I don't seem to have any issues with plugged ducts. (currently... that can always change) It happened quite often with Sage. The first time I had mastitis was with my 3rd... I felt like crap for a couple of days, by day 3 I could hardly get out of bed. I told my husband I had mastitis and he was all... you're making that up. lol I made the doctor write MASTITIS very clearly so I could prove that there really was such an illness. Hubby doesn't question my medical knowledge much anymore.

I'm feeling quite a bit better in my perineum... still have a hole but it feels like it's healing up. I've got some sort of hemmie action going on... and that's uncomfortable but tolerable. I've stopped using anything but hot water to rinse myself after I go potty. I think that's helping... a lot. I'm also focusing on trying to eat more regularly... which I think is also helping. Hopefully the hole will heal up on it's own and I won't need any help there. I know eventually I will need surgery to repair my bits... I've got a cystocele and a rectocele plus my perineal area isn't pretty after 5 kids, 3 of which gave 3rd degree tears. I'm just trying not to stress.... and hearing my doctor say he would see me and that he felt that the ob who delivered Marah wasn't very kind made me feel a lot better. More in control of things again.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#10 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
grouphug.gif Julie, Nic, Catie, kitty, and everyone else!

I posted a long venting post in the last thread, not noticing there was a new one...
http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1284322/weekly-chat-thread-starting-1-8-10/60#post_16123384

I managed to forget I had an appointment this afternoon at 3:15 until it was 3:13. I ran the baby into DH, threw on clothes, and rushed out the door... only to get stuck in horrendous traffic for 15 minutes *at the same light.* I could've walked there faster (literally - I was AT the intersection where the appointment was). Got some nice Christmas cards in the mail and hoped that was a sign of a turn around in the day, but DH is grumpy and dealing with our completely messed up finances for Christmas isn't going well with him. ("Do we have to spend $19 on that?" he asks about the small gift I'm wanting to give my sister. irked.gif) I'm pretty sure I'm on my own for making this whole thing work - and I'm someone who really does best bouncing ideas off of someone. greensad.gif There is *a little* money to spend since we axed so many (important) things, but figuring out where it goes is clearly going to be very challenging. Oh, and any orders really should be placed today. But, I can't even talk to DH to figure out what we're doing. Ugh.

Thankfully, Eliana did well while I was gone, took a paci some, and slept on and off. And I wasn't gone very long, really. She nursed and fell asleep when I got home and is just now waking and stretching. So sweet.

And now she beckons...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#11 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Poop question - Nicholas' poop is green.  My other kids had occasional green poop, but not consistently.  What could it mean?

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#12 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Green occasionally is likely a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. It can also be the sign of a food intolerance (started typing foot intolerance! lol.gif). I'm guessing that's what it is for Eliana because it's also mucousy (another sign of intolerance), even though it isn't frequent. Green and frothy sometimes go together, too. I'm pretty sure that's always a food/allergy issue (though it's not one I see). Then there are tummy bugs!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 PM

My Sagey had green poop for a few months... and as mysteriously as it appeared it disappeared. I could find no reason for her green poops, I tried eliminating dairy and the like, nothing... I tried block feeding her, nothing. So... sometimes it just happens. Currently I wish Miss Marah Moo would poop... we are going on 2 weeks and I'm feeling a little antsy about it, lol. She's tooting a lot so I know it's not far behind.

#14 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, I read your last post before and wanted to reply, but didn't have time.  I'm so sorry about the money problems.  Vehicle repairs are the worst.  hug2.gif

I'm going to try again to get Maia to go to bed so I can crash.  She just wants to fuss, nurse and spit up all evening long until 10 or 11 when she finally stays asleep.  And Im a wimp and want to be in bed at 8:30 or 9 these days! 

#15 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Evie has had green poops pretty much for the past 2 weeks. I have been block feeding consistently and it did seem to help and her poops were yellow for a couple of days, but now we are back to green. She is much more settled on days when her poops are yellow though. I'm off dairy and soy (since third trimester due to my son being allergic), and she had green poops when I eliminated wheat, eggs, citrus, peppers, tomatoes. I was pretty much just eating rice for two weeks, but it didn't make a difference (I started the elimination diet before the green poops when she was having the evening fussies at 2 weeks). I went back to eating normally and I feel so much better , but I wish I could figure out why her poop is green dizzy.gif

She has man farts too. Poor gassy baby:(

Nic- Mara hasn't pooped for two weeks! Wow, I hope you have a raincoat on when you change her next diaper, it's gonna be a huge poop!! I can only imagine how relaxed she will be after !!! 

Nursing Mamas, How is it going for you?? I have cut my 3 year old down to 2-4 times per day-quick sessions. I can't believe how agitated I feel when nursing him.  He seems to be handling the decrease well though, which surprises me, but then again, my husband has been home so they are spending lots of time together so I think that attention is helping. I do feel kind of guilty though.

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#16 of 56 Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 PM

Hahaha Jodie... I know! We're going to have what I have termed a 'poo-splosion' LOL

Sage is still nursing. I try to keep it between 2-4 times a day. She's helped immensely with engorgement and my oversupply. My boobs seemed to have adjusted very quickly this time, which is nice. I don't feel as agitated with nursing as I did when pregnant... I do have to set limits though because otherwise she'd be attached as much as Marah and that's just not on for me. She gets impatient sometimes but is able to verbalize quite nicely when she feels frustrated. As much as I don't like to hear "I don't like her." I know she means, I don't like her right now because she's in the way of my time with you. She says that very rarely, but she does suggest Daddy holds the baby when she needs to nurse which is cute, lol. ♥

#17 of 56 Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 AM

I limit dd1's nursing to at bedtime and wake-up because she would likely nurse all day long. Adjustment is going okay, but she's wanted to "be a baby" a couple days.  I've indulged the wanting to have a binkie (a habit she stopped at 6 months so I'd love to know where on earth she found those old things) and holding her until my back pleads for me to stop.  Dh and ds are out of school now until the 3rd so that will be a big (and hopefully helpful) distraction.  Rachel is being baptized tomorrow and a lot of family are coming into town.  I hope the jealousy issue isn't too bad.  We're going to start our holiday travels next week.  I'm still hoping for just one night at fil's house, but the weather doesn't look too helpful. Gotta drive from NW Indiana to SW Michigan - only 2 hours, but that's the severe lake effect area.  I like them well enough but sometimes I have to grit my teeth over meals and beds.  No, I'm not gonna use the crib - I didn't for the other 2, why start now?  And could we please just eat dinner before 8.  That's past bedtime for the big kids, and they wonder why they lose it?  Dude, they.are.hungry.  However, I am way more assertive than I used to be and dh has seen the light as well.  Gotta go clean up before the crowd arrives. 

#18 of 56 Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Or Poomagedon lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

Hahaha Jodie... I know! We're going to have what I have termed a 'poo-splosion' LOL

#19 of 56 Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the "poo feedback" - N is block feeding,not too gassy, the poo isn;t mucousy, and he's sleeping pretty well (I got a 4 hour and a 3 hour stretch out of him last night).  I guess it's just an idiosyncrasy...I'll ask my mw on Monday.

Nic - 2 weeks?  Wow - have your wipes handy!

We're cleaning (the house is a disaster!) and packing today and tomorrow and going to my parents' house on Monday for Christmas.  I'm looking forward to the time visiting and relaxing!

#20 of 56 Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Yesterday was pretty awful, but today is much better already, and more things to look forward to this afternoon/evening. I think the placenta capsules and fish oil started taking effect last night, and DH finally started coming around with an interest in helping me out. We straightened the very crooked Christmas tree so it no longer looks like it's about to either fall over or attack you (fresh cut and much skinnier and crooked than we expected!). He also dug through our closet and found the box of gifts that I had already purchased for our immediate family. He went to the storage unit this morning and dug through until he found our tree skirt, so the few packages under the tree don't look as out of place. He also found our holiday dishes so we have enough plates for the whole group that will be here on Christmas. He came home (while I was still in bed with Eliana) and put the tree skirt on, rearranged the living room as it needed to be, and put on Christmas music. When I got up, he was super sweet and told me he was looking forward to enjoying time with our family for Christmas, and that anything else would just be bonus. love.gifhappytears.gif

We have some gift cards we've been looking forward to shopping with and are going to go this afternoon, as well as to the specialty grocery that has the cut of meat we need for Christmas at something like 40% off this week. They're close to each other, so we'll take the little ones (the big ones are with Grandma decorating her tree) and go on an adventure.

Eliana didn't fall soundly asleep last night until I finally just went to bed with her and nursed her there. Today, she's fallen asleep a couple of times just when I've laid her on her tummy for one reason or another. She definitely sleeps more soundly like that, so that may be my plan for tonight! The pouch worked a bit to get her down last night, but she get waking up and fussing, anyway. At some point yesterday, I started rocking her side to side and she stopped fussing immediately. I think she'd love a cradle swing (like we had with the boys) but we don't have one anymore. This is actually the longest we've gone without any sort of "device" to help soothe a little one, which must be a testament to how easy-going she is! With Judah (#3), he was 2 weeks old when we got a new swing (which I sold 1.5 years ago...) and I thought that was pretty good. lol.gif I'm figuring we'll see what she gets for Christmas and use the gift cards we've gotten for baby gifts after that to get something to help in those fussy periods.

I hope everyone's travels go smoothly and safely! I'm so glad not to have to deal with questioning family. My MIL (who doesn't question our decisions so much as is generally critical) has come and gone, and now my sister is here and her DH is coming just before Christmas. Then, my Dad comes for my birthday and new year. But even if it's not family, I'm sure we've all had those pestering questions! I am always shocked at the ones who are worried about putting nb poo in the washer when my little guy's clothes were ALWAYS being stained by poo leaks in disposables. Even with toddlers, do they just throw away the clothes when they have an accident? (I know my DH has said we should at times, but I don't think we ever have!) Hopefully the holiday will be low-stress for everyone, regardless! grouphug.gif

#21 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 AM

i'm going to try to make this quick (again) because i have a bad habit of typing these looong replies when i really don't have the time to...

hugs to all...i think i have experienced (at one time or another) every single problem everyone's having.  :(

AFM...

BF'ing - i think i'm getting an infection of some sort.  i have pretty much weaned my 2yo (much to both of our dismays) because his suck is just too strong for me to tolerate.  we went out of town last weekend and i forgot a bottle (which he has been having at bedtime for over a year since my milk supply dropped and then disappeared completely when i was pg).  he was being totally rotten, so i broke down and nursed him even though he hadn't nursed in about 10 days at that point.  ever since, that nipple has been hurting.  no obvious external signs of trauma, but stinging during nursing.  not sure if it's a latch issue (that nipple is shaped differently than the other), but i'm freaking out because of my experience with a severe infection when my 2yo was an infant.  i have started with lanolin, moved on to APNO... there's no plugged duct or mastitis symptoms, and i have been nursing on the other side as much as possible... started taking some oral supplements this morning (garlic, an immune-boosting blend, and probiotics), so hopefully that will help soon.  i am near tears/panic when i remember what i went through before...

btw, my compromise with my 2yo on the weaning thing (because it's breaking both of our hearts) is to pump once a day for his bedtime bottle.  he gets really excited about it (actually, all the kids like to watch, heheh); he says "i go get the pump!" <3 ...and it seems to be helping the behavior issues (maybe?).  daddy has been putting him to bed for a few months now, so this allows a little bit of me to be there too, without sacrificing my poor nipples.  after seeing how quickly he sucks down a bottle of expressed milk, i understand why it hurts me so much when he nurses!!  =O

babywearing and back pain - i cannot wear my sweet girl as much as i want/she needs.  i have chronic back problems and there have been days when i am jonesing for narcotics to relieve the pain, because even 3 ibuprofen just won't cut it.  i have been having hubby hold her a LOT, which has actually backfired because he won't wear her even though it would make things so much more convenient for him, and she cries a lot for him, and he doesn't have the magic that i have to soothe her (not even talking about boobs here, just finding the right combo of soothing methods for any given moment).  he confessed to me that he feels "no attachment" to her because he feels rejected by all the crying.  he has even taken her to another part of the house so i can't hear her crying because he doesn't want to stress me out.  :(  since then i have tried to make sure i only hand her to him when she's full, dry, and either sound asleep or quiet-alert (things will get even better when she starts smiling, which should be soon!)... things are getting better.  AND, i have managed to get her into the ergo with her legs open, so that i can wear her for longer periods (god bless the ergo!!), but things will be better when she's big enough to put on my back in the ergo.  i have a wrap and can get her on my back in it, but i get sore quickly...there's nothing like the ergo for, ahem, ergonomic weight distribution.  i have been sitting against my biomat every evening, and my back has been feeling better, but i have to be very careful not to overdo it.  :/

that's all for now...

ETA: started knitting my first sweater (for baby).  super simple, beautiful, FREE pattern... http://fpea.blogspot.com/2007/03/free-pattern-friday-organic-guernsey.html

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#22 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Michelle, i have something weird going on with my right breast ever since I had the plugged duct the other day.  Can you explain more about your infection?

#23 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 PM

So we had Ian's 1 month appointment friday-- he now weighs 12 lbs 5 ozs and is 22 inches! The ped gave us a perscription for Zantac, which we started Friday... and Friday night we only had 30 minutes of screaming! And he only woke every 2 hour Friday night!

and last night we had NO screaming!!!!!!! And at 9:45 we went to bed, and Ian peacefully nursed to sleep laying beside me, was OUT by 10:00 and slept straight until 1!!!! 3 hours!! And then woke every 1.5-2 hours after that!!! I feel so rested! :lol It was like a little miracle last night.. DH and I got to sit and watch a movie while I snuggled a conent, sleeping baby on the couch, and then we all went to bed peacefully. Amazing.

I'm finally getting excited about Christmas! We have our (little 3 foot) tree out, but not decorated.. and it is a good thing because Liam has knocked it over several times.. Christmas Eve I am planning to let Liam decorate it with all of the ornaments I got as a kid (most are cheap, plasticy/tacky animal themed ornaments).. plus we have our Christmas eve service at church, where we mainly sing Christmas songs.. I am really looking forward to that! Not to mention DH is off of work Christmas eve, and then taking Wednesday-Friday the next week.. His brother, wife, and 4 kids will be here visiting from Tennessee. Should be a fun, busy week!

#24 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm so glad Ian is sleeping better, and you (by extension) are sleeping better.  What a great Christmas present!

#25 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 04:22 PM

That's so great! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post

and last night we had NO screaming!!!!!!!

#26 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Catie- That's so great that Ian is happier!  Sleep really does make things SO much easier!  I hope the zantac keeps helping and you get many more nights with no screaming.

Michelle- My dh is a little like that too with this babe.  He seems to not have the patience to figure out how to soothe her, which is frustrating for me because he totally did with DD1.  Now it's like if the baby doesn't stop crying in a few minutes he just gives up.  He doesn't mean to, but he makes me feel bad for giving her to him, or for not taking a quicker shower or whatever because he's always waiting to hand her back to me.  Whenever I try to talk to him about it, he just gets annoyed at me for not being symathetic to him because it's frustrating to have her cry all the time with him.  Ugh.  She doesn't cry ALL the time with him but he forgets that at those moments.  I know it'll get better once she's more interactive.  Carys is starting to smile now and it's SO adorable!

Carys is so different from DD1 in almost every way.  I knew she wouldn't be exactly the same but every day I'm trying to figure out who she is. :)  She isn't soothed by the same things and doesn't like the same things.  It'll be interesting to see if their personalities are at all similar once they're older.

My dad came to visit for a quick 1 night visit (with only 12 hours notice!) but it was really great to see him and for him to meet Carys,  He and my stepmom are having a baby in a couple weeks and her pregnancy has some complications so he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get up here.  Then some things changed and he felt ok about leaving her for one night to come visit.  It was fantastic.  The first day he was here he deep cleaned my kitchen with my 3 yo helping while baby and I napped.  thumb.gif  He also brought us a case of nice wine.  (He works for a winery.)  He brought christmas presents too and we opened them while he was here.  DD1 got a brand new ipod touch.  eyesroll.gif  At least he bought a 2 yr warranty for it.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#27 of 56 Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM

That's awesome, Catie! joy.gif

#28 of 56 Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post

Michelle, i have something weird going on with my right breast ever since I had the plugged duct the other day.  Can you explain more about your infection?

i contracted pseudomonas bacteria in my breasts while in the hospital having my 2yo.  i was only there for 30 hrs total, grrr. (this is one of the reasons i chose homebirth this time around.)  it's a waterborne bacteria, so i got it while taking my post-birth shower with cracked/blistered nipples.  it presented as very sore nipples and shooting pains at first -- much like thrush, but without the white patches or scaly skin.  we thought it was thrush, and i treated it as such for 4 weeks before going to see a LC...she suggested it might be MRSA and told me to have a sample of my milk sent to the lab to be cultured.  in the mean time my mw prescribed augmentin, which upset baby's tummy horribly (and made my milk bitter, as we discovered later when he refused to drink pumped milk...i had hubby taste it and we had to throw out my whole frozen stash)...  lab results came back positive for "heavy growth" of pseudomonas, which by then i'd had for nearly 2 months, and i needed cipro for it.  so i went on a large dose of cipro for 8 weeks, during which time i developed a systemic yeast infection (ARGH), so i had to take diflucan for another 4 weeks.  this was a major deal.  during all this treatment it remained excrutiatingly painful to nurse, and i was occasionally taking narcotics just to be able to tolerate it.  i tried APNO and discovered i'm allergic to hydrocortisone cream.  it was thinning the skin around my nipples and they were raw and cracked, no matter how much lanolin i globbed on there.  finally, when baby was 11 MONTHS old, i day-weaned (supplementing with organic formula) to give my nipples a rest, but after 2 months of that they still weren't better.  at 13 months i weaned completely (temporarily) and couldn't even pump because it hurt so much... after 2 weeks they were finally better, but by then baby would not come back to the breast for another month after that (i kept offering!).  by then my milk supply had dropped so low that my boobs had shrunk back to non-nursing size, and i couldn't get more than 1/2 oz out of either side.  i started pumping and taking domperidone and fenugreek/blessed thistle and drinking mother's milk tea to try and get my supply back up, but it was in vain -- it was too late, and baby was 15 months old by then and eating mostly solids anyway.  he continued to nurse for comfort/"snacks" up until just recently.  the whole experience was absolutely devastating for me, but i REFUSED to give up.  :'( 

so you can see why i'm panicking about this nipple soreness i'm having now...

lady.gifMama of: DSjammin.gif (9), twins DDjoy.gif & DSautismribbon.gif (6), DSkid.gif (3), and DDbabygirl.gif born 11/2010

#29 of 56 Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Michelle - I so feel for you!!  I had 4 months of thrush with DS, and also had a reaction to the APNO (in my case, I think it was the steroid component) and ended up with a 1cm x 0.5cm full-thickness ulceration at the base of my right nipple. Awful, but not as bad as what you went through! ANd like you, with every twinge of nipple pain or strange sensation, I feel incredible fear that the thrush is back.  yikes2.gif   grouphug.gif

P has had a cold this past week. Poor stuffy little girl!  And now I've got a sore throat, and she's got something digestive - mucousy (though definitely mustard yellow) poops, sometimes very watery and lots of gas.  Sleepwise, we seem to have one good night followed by two not great nights. So I guess overall it's going OK.

Our biggest problem continues to be DS's aggression. It seems to be a lot about lack of impulse control, but I'm starting to get worried that he will truly hurt her, like visit-to-the-ER kind of hurt. greensad.gif And he won't mean to have done it, and I'll feel as if I was powerless to stop it...We've moved my glider into another room, one with a child safety lock on the door. So at least when DH is home, P and I can nurse peacefully.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#30 of 56 Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Michelle and Karen, those are true nursing horror stories!  I had an awful experience with dd, including an infection and chunks of missing nipple, but it all cleared up with one round of antibiotics and a nipple shield.  

I'm having a harder time with nursing this time around than with my last one.  Both nipples are very slightly cracked, and won't seem to heal.  Maia finally seems to get it about opening her mouth really wide, but it's still so much work to get a good latch when she's popping on and off and squirming and tugging, etc.  I take her off a lot to burp her, but that only helps so much too, apparently. 

Crying baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page