Anyone else dealing with "colic"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Clara is having a horrible time with evenings.  She starts fussing about 6:30 and it is 10 or 11 before she really settles for the night.  I keep thinking it is gas problems, but she fine during the day and all night.  I cut out dairy, but gas was the only symptom- no green poop or rashes.

I just can't figure it out. 

DD1 was always asleep by 7:30 or 8 and was out for the night. 

She also has a lot of little burps, so I wonder if it is reflux, but then again she naps well during the day.

I'm not very good with things that don't seem to make sense- what is colic and why?

Meghan, Married to Scott, Mother to Audrey- 2, and Expecting Nov 10th
#2 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM

There isn't necessarily an explanation, at least not a physical problem that you can fix. Some posit that "colic" or the evening fussies are part of  neurological development - babies all of a sudden "wake up" to the world and have trouble understanding or "digesting" all the sensations. Crying is their way of dealing with the stress of it all.

At least, that's one theory.

My DS, who is now 3.75, definitely went through an unexplainable fussy period. All we could really do was comfort and support him while he cried and cried. It was HARD at times, and it definitely helped to have a plan as far as each parent only dealing with him for a short amount of time (ie, switching off every 30 minutes or so). Hardest was when he went through such a period when I was home alone, and I know i faced some dark times when that happened.

DD, now almost 8 weeks old (adjusted to 5 weeks, as she was 3 weeks early) seems to just be starting this for short periods at night, and seems most comforted at the breast, although sometimes she is happy being in Daddy's arms, esp. if he is in the bathroom with the vent fan going!  Check out "Happiest Baby on the Block" - you might find some help there for getting through this period.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#3 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 AM

It isn't colic. It's fussy evenings. They are very normal. It has nothing to do with the contents of your milk or gas. Some babies just do this. It goes away on its own after a few months.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

From 7pm until around 10 or 11, I can do nothing but nurse Charlie. It was the same with my son. Just plunk down in a chair and nurse/rock the baby until she falls asleep. You can't stop them from having fussy evenings, you just have to go with it.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#4 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 AM

My oldest was this way and so is Maia.  I nurse a lot and she spits up a lot, but it keeps her from crying non--stop.  She also doesn't go to sleep for the night until 10 or 11, even if I try to cut out on cat-napping.

In the mornings she's very happy and falls asleep easily for long naps (2-3 hours usually).  I'm not bothering changing my diet, because as the others said, I think she just has a rough time with evenings.  Good luck!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#5 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM

My son's evening fussies have turned into all-day fussies... I'm kind of at my wit's end...

Skeptical scribbling dorkophile.
#6 of 27 Old 12-28-2010, 02:02 PM

I've had 5 babies... only 2 of my 5 didn't have the evening fussies. They still fussed it just didn't take much to settle them... and a lot of that is their personalities.

Marah gets fussy in the evening, lots of nursing and bouncing and nursing and rocking seem to be what helps her best. In a few months this will be a thing of the past... just gotta bear with it for now. That's what I tell myself on the hard days, it all changes eventually.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#7 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonar View Post

My son's evening fussies have turned into all-day fussies... I'm kind of at my wit's end...

Me, too. She was so happy for a few days when we cut out dairy. But now she's back to being super grumpy most of the day and really bad at night until about 11pm. I am so ready to give up. My anxiety was already bad but it seems to have progressed to full-fledged ppd. I can barely stand to hold her since I spend most of my time trying to stop her crying. As soon as she's happy I pass her off. I've become very detached and it feels horrible to say that, but I am totally at the end of my rope. Totally. I just want her to stop crying that CIO sounds tempting, though I wouldn't do it and know it won't help. But if she cries the whole time I hold her, what's the difference, it feels like some nights. At least then I could pee without a screeching thrashing infant.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 AM

My DD had the worst colic she would scream bloody murder from 3pm until 7 or 8 pm every single day until she was 4 m/o.

her stomach had a lot to do with it so I eliminated dairy and some other things...that helped.

I would wear her all snug and tight in the moby all evening every day and that helped too. Also taking a warm bath with her helped her. I would nurse her like every 30mins -1hr in the evening as well. Also if you can go outside..I would wear her in the wrap and try and go for a walk and get some fresh air.

I also filled a spray bottle with water and some lavender oil (few drops) and would spray it like air freshener and I *feel* that helped calm her down. Lots of music (The Beatles is what she liked) and "dancing" with her in the wrap.

massage worked well too.

<3 this too shall pass

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#9 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM

The moby does help, as well as rocking and warm showers. But only for so long. At about 9 pm those things stop helping until she finally conks out at 11 pm. greensad.gif

#10 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Kitty-Have you cut soy out of your diet also?? 50% of babies who are allergic to dairy are to soy too. My son had horrible all day colic-12-18 hours A DAY of screaming. Once I cut out dairy and soy (including all hidden ingredients), he improved tremendously and his crying tapered to 3 ours in the evening only-which at that point was awesome!!!

Big grouphug.gif to you kitty. I'm sorry-I understand how hard it is.

To the original poster-it sounds like your babe has the evening fussies-if it was true colic, believe me you would know. True colic is inconsolable:( Evening fussies are an unsettled babe who cries but can be comforted.

Mama to one little lion sleepytime.gifand a baby cub born at home stillheart.gif
homeschool.gif, lactivist.gif, novaxnocirc.gif,fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIF, familybed2.gif,
#11 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

I haven't cut out soy but cutting soy never helped with my other kids. I do not eat hardly any soy, though. I even get soy-free butter alternatives. My mom has thyroid cancer, so I try to avoid soy unless I have to. I'm allergic to coconut, so that cuts down a lot of dairy replacers I can have. Not dreadfully allergic-more like super sensitive to it- and I cheat sometimes (GOD I love coconut pie!) but it makes my belly hurt.

I think she might still be having reflux issues. She goes to the pediatrician next monday and I'm going to bring it up. Maybe zantac will help? I hate taking medications or giving them to my kids, but at this point, it's the lesser of two evils.

#12 of 27 Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM

have you tried colic calm?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 AM

They don't sell it around here, but I did find gripe water. I think it had parabens in it, though.

#14 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM

Desiree, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. hug2.gif  Maia has fussy evenings but nothing that's really horrible.  DH gets so frustrated though, and starts to lose his patience when she's crying a lot.  He says, "Why should I hold her if she's going to cry anyway?  Why not just put her down and let her cry?"  I know what he means, but the mama in me has a little more understanding,  and I have the ability to nurse her, even if she doesn't need it at all and spits everything right back up.

I know what you mean about not wanting to give the baby meds, but it sounds like you both are very unhappy with the status quo.  Good luck!

AFM, this thrush is making me start to lose my mind!!! greensad.gif

#15 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM

grip water didn't really do anything for us...

probiotics worked well though (forgot to mention that)

#16 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Kitty- so sorry it has gotten so hard for you.

We have been doing probiotics and I do think it is good for them no matter what.

The last couple of evenings have been a little better.  When she starts crying it is inconsolable- her whole body is stiff, fists clenched, and screaming.  I really do think it is her tummy hurting, not just crying.  It seems some of her discomfort has shifted to mornings- about 5-10.  She doesn't scream so much, but is obviously uncomfortable.  Unfortunately, nursing doesn't seem to settle her much.

I hope we get some relief soon.

#17 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM

thats exactly how dd was...

I had to eliminate dairy, eggs, corn, fish, shell fish, beef, nuts, seeds, soy, gluten, tomatoes and strawberries....

how are her stools? see if you can get it tested for blood from the pedi. DD had unseen blood in hers...so I had no clue -  I just knew something was wrong.

it's funny though I never believed in colic-just thought the parents didn't do x.y.z until I lived through it. It is soooooo hard to watch her go through this, trust me I know. Eventually it will pass and in the mean time just don't give up on her.

I know a few ties where I was sooooooooo done and I just sat there holding her while she screamed and screamed and I would cry and be so upset WHY CAN'T I HELP YOU? WHY WON'T YOU STOP CRYING FOR 2 SECONDS OF YOU'RE LIFE? that's what I would think...

just try and stay as positive as you can b/c negative feeling on you or DH's part can effect her to be more negative too.

#18 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM

Probiotics for you or baby? I take them for me but have yet to find a good one for infants that is dairy free.

#19 of 27 Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post

Dr Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Has to be prescribed by a doctor and compounded at the pharmacy, but it's great. Charlie and I have been fighting a battle with thrush for 9 days now. Gentian Violet didn't help, but this ointment already has me feeling quite a bit better. She has nystatin as well.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#20 of 27 Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post

Dr Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment. Has to be prescribed by a doctor and compounded at the pharmacy, but it's great. Charlie and I have been fighting a battle with thrush for 9 days now. Gentian Violet didn't help, but this ointment already has me feeling quite a bit better. She has nystatin as well.

Also, Grapefruit Seed Extract, topically (diluted) and orally. Black Walnut Tincture. And changing your diet to eliminate sugars and grains. It's the only thing that worked for me, and I wish I'd done it sooner. I had thrush for 3 months before I changed my diet, and went through 4+ rounds of Diflucan.  There is a Thrush Support Tribe/Thread on one of the breastfeeding forums that has a wealth of information. It is at least 4 years old, as I consulted it and participated when I was suffering thrush in DS's early days.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#21 of 27 Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Thanks.  I just started with the topical GSE yesterday.  I know I should change my diet, but with the holidays it's been practically impossible!  Honestly, I don't even know what I would eat if I had to cut out all carbs.... it would be one of the hardest things I've ever done. but it may come to that if I don't notice improvement in a few days.

#22 of 27 Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 PM

If you have the GSE already, start taking it orally as well - 10-15 drops in ~2-3 ouncesbof juice or water 3x day.

I know how hard it is to change your diet, esp. at the holidays. This is always when I "regress". It was totally worth it for me, though. When I had to do it, I mostly ate lean meats (chicken and turkey plus some deli roast beef) and vegetables. Cutting stuff up to have on hand helped a lit, as did making a minestrone-type soup without pasta or barley. I switched from milk in my coffee to unsweetened soy milk, with stevia instead of sugar. Drinking lots of water also helped. As a bonus, I lost 10 pounds in a month!

If that seems like too much, just eliminate sugar, processed foods and baked goods like breads. Stick to quinoa, steel-cut oats, etc. for grains. That might be enough to help your body heal.

#23 of 27 Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else still struggling?

Kitty- any better for you?

I feel like I'm hitting rock bottom.  I take her to the ped tomorrow.  I'm thinking either silent reflux or I have to go to total elimination.  I have cut out dairy and eggs so far.  If her eyes are open she is crying.  There is no sign of any interaction or cooing yet at all, she is miserable.  I haven't been able to stop crying today and I just feel crappy about everything.

And I'm starving.

#24 of 27 Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Hugs, Meghan...I don't have any advice, but I couldn't read your last post and not respond.  I hope you're able to get some improvement soon.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#25 of 27 Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM

hug2.gif

Definitely improvement now. The rest of my life has gone straight to hell, but she's happy. Dairy seemed to be the kicker. I've also cut out cruciferous veggies. I hope you see improvement soon. What about soy or wheat?

#26 of 27 Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM

This may or may not be your case. My child had colic as a baby, which was 4-5 hours of constant crying/screaming w/ no relief (in addition to general fussiness throughout the day). No one knows what causes it, though theories include an immature neurological system. My child also had reflux, so that was probably part of it. Since breastfeeding and changes in my diet didn't soothe him, we tried multiple medications, formula preparations, swaddling techniques, and bottles. It's a pure hell type of experience to go through, especially since your child can appear as if he/she is suffering, though docs/books/discussion boards have no good advice. We tried so many things to no avail, and I was so sleep deprived that I started hallucinating. It's something they eventually grow out of, thank God.

Have you tried elevating her head during the night, in addition to changes in your diet? And tight swaddling? It can help a bit. My son had to sleep in his swing at night, though now there are crib wedges on the market. Also, medication for reflux can really help. Good luck w/ the doc tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMum View Post

It isn't colic. It's fussy evenings. They are very normal. It has nothing to do with the contents of your milk or gas. Some babies just do this. It goes away on its own after a few months.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

From 7pm until around 10 or 11, I can do nothing but nurse Charlie. It was the same with my son. Just plunk down in a chair and nurse/rock the baby until she falls asleep. You can't stop them from having fussy evenings, you just have to go with it.

#27 of 27 Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 AM

I also agree colic really does exist. Also you're baby may be very spirited. MY DD is very spirited. If she wanted x,y,z and i gave her a,b,c instead we would have hours of screaming. I gave her the boob every 45 mins the first 2 months!

it was soooooo hard I never knew being a mom could be soooo rough. try and enlist as much help as possible! every night try and take a nice warm bath with the baby, it will help you relax and bond. music can help you too.

Is the baby sleeping enough during the day? that was one of our biggest struggles! She NEVER wanted to nap and she would be so over tired by the end of the day we went through complete hell.

grouphug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page