Weekly Chat Thread Dec 30 - Jan 6 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Paige is sometimes so into chewing/sucking her hand that she refuses the nipple! So funny. Well, not at 3am.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#62 of 114 Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Yep, I've got a fist chewer too.  However she can't seem to get it just right and that really annoys her.

The big girl's fever seems much better.  It hit 103.7 in the middle of the night (didn't need my covers, that's for sure) and then it was gone this morning.  So the baby and I were able to go to my group today and that was nice.  I so rarely get to do anything that is not child related.  Dd1 is napping now, and that is very unusual so I hope that she isn't headed back downhill.

#63 of 114 Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

We're heading up the ski hill tomorrow, and dd1 is complaining of a sore tummy...I hope it's nothing, and we can go like planned!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#64 of 114 Old 01-16-2011, 04:56 PM

We've been having a time with big kid here. He has been on amoxicilin since a week and a half ago, for an ear infection. DH was out of town at a conference Friday night, and I woke up Saturday morning to a big kid covered in hives. Gave him benadryl, called the doc (office open Sat. 9-12 during the winter, thank goodness). They agree it is probably the abx, say not to give him any more (only one more dose, anyway), continue with the benadryl, add zyrtec if we want.  Three hours later, DS starts complaining that his knees hurt. He has eczema there, that he was resisting having anything put on, so I didn't think much of it. Then I changed his pull-up an hour later - both knees and one ankle were swollen, red and hot!  OMG! Luckily DH was home by this time, so some internet research showed me that's just an extention of the reaction. Still, we took him to urgent care this morning, as he woke up with his hand swollen. Poor little guy! He says it hurts to walk, doesn't want to bend his knees...and is still agressive toward the babe.

We are following up with his doc tomorrow, but it is so scary! He's had amoxicilin before, in July, with no problem. I was so surprised to find out that an allergy could come up at the END of a round of treatment. I guess no more abx from this class for him (and that includes penicilin - goody).

In better news, I am taking Paige and going to a Mama Night Out tonight. Phew. I hope she sleeps in the car seat some. I don't usually like that, but I could use a little while without another body attached to me greensad.gif  I kind of wish I could leave her home, even if it meant I didn't stay as late. But I couldn't do that to DH at bedtime, even if DS weren't feeling so poorly.

OK, that was a brighter note??  Guess I'm feeling a bit down today.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#65 of 114 Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM

hug2.gifOne for you and hug2.gifone for your little guy. My ds is also allergic to amox.  I remember those hives and never want to do that again.  The doctor told me that sometimes the virus themselves cause the reaction, typically at the very end of the course of treatment, however it's not worth it to expose the little people just to prove it.  He ended up on a dose of steroids to clear them up.

I understand wanting a break too. I left the big kids today with dh while I did the grocery shopping and REALLY wished that I could have left the baby with him (I had several stops and it's a drive, so not a short time).  I miss having "me time."

#66 of 114 Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yikes, Karen!!! My 6yo is on amox. right now, too, thankfully no reaction. She's allergic to soooo many abx.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#67 of 114 Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM

My 2 yr old is on amoxicillin right now too (tis the season?)...it's her first time on any antibiotic and no allergy problems but holy moly is she ever reacting to the fake colour and flavoring, it's this lurid shade of yellow with the awful fake banana taste, which she just adores, irked.gif  She normally doesn't have artificial flavors and colours, and if she does it's in small doses, like an iced cookie, so after a few days of totally off the wall tantrums I finally put two and two together.  At first I thought it was because she's been so sick and cooped up (which I'm sure it partly is) but all the screaming and throwing things is NOT like her.  Just a few more days.   At least the one good thing is that as a whole we seem to be on the mend, FINALLY.  I feel like this past month just evaporated in a haze of puke, snot and tears.

Bobbi did you manage to get to the ski hill?  DH and I are hopefully going to make it to the local bunny hill this weekend to test our legs and give my mom a chance to watch both kids for a short time rather than us taking off for the whole day to the mountains.  I'm dying to get out without the kids and get some fresh air and exercise, and hopefully not break my leg.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#68 of 114 Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

I've been busy, busy, busy! I'm about to end my maternity leave and start making pads again. I just scored big time at the fabric store so today I've spent most of the day washing fabrics, prepping my work area, organizing stuff and general tidying. I've had Marah in the wrap or MT all day long and I'm giving my back a bit of a break right now with her in the bouncy seat. I'm kind of freaking out how I'm going to get stuff done for work with both her and Sage but I'm sure I'll figure something out. :) I've missed working and I'm excited that there seems to be quite the interest in my product. ♥

Marah is really settling into herself... she's such a mellow personality. I'm really enjoying her, so is her sister. She really loves being a big sister and is currently smothering her in lots of kisses and squeals. hehe

Sorry to read of the sickies on abx... and the crankies, we're having a bit of cabin fever going on here. I'm not much of a cold weather person (even though I've lived in No. IL my whole life, lol) so getting out with the littles isn't usually on my list of fun things to do when it's cold. Perhaps I should, though, it would probably help greatly. :)

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#69 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 AM

Ugh.  Another sick kid.  Ds came home after school yesterday with a fever.  The 2 big kids are pathetic puddles of misery.  I think it might be the flu. greensad.gif

#70 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post

Ugh.  Another sick kid.  Ds came home after school yesterday with a fever.  The 2 big kids are pathetic puddles of misery.  I think it might be the flu. greensad.gif

Yep.  Influenza type A  x2.  Please cross your fingers that the little one does not get it.

#71 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM

DH was laid off from his job today.  On his BIRTHDAY.  dizzy.gif  Stupid economy. 

#72 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches View Post

DH was laid off from his job today.  On his BIRTHDAY.  dizzy.gif  Stupid economy. 

hug2.gifHow awful.  I'm so sorry.

#73 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Ellen and Stitches, hug2.gifto both of you!

I'm making an appointment to see a breastfeeding medicine MD, because I can't figure out what's going on with me and Maia.  We're nearing the end of our fluconazole treatment, and I'm not even sure if what we/I have is still thrush, a bacterial infection, Raynaud's or a combo of all three.  If it is thrush, then I'm going to have to eat only raw vegetables until it goes away, apparently, because everything else isn't working!  I am one hungry mama!  greensad.gif

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#74 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post

I'm making an appointment to see a breastfeeding medicine MD, because I can't figure out what's going on with me and Maia.  We're nearing the end of our fluconazole treatment, and I'm not even sure if what we/I have is still thrush, a bacterial infection, Raynaud's or a combo of all three.  If it is thrush, then I'm going to have to eat only raw vegetables until it goes away, apparently, because everything else isn't working!  I am one hungry mama!  greensad.gif

During my first pregnancy, I had a yeast infection that didn't respond to either OTC medication or fluconazole. Probiotics did work, thankfully. I hope you find something (other than raw veggies) that works for you!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#75 of 114 Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM

Ocelotmom, please tell me more about the probiotics you took.  Once again I thought we were finally over our thrush nightmare but nope, it is rearing its nightmarishly ugly head again.  Probiotics seems to be the only thing I haven't tried.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#76 of 114 Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post

Ocelotmom, please tell me more about the probiotics you took.  Once again I thought we were finally over our thrush nightmare but nope, it is rearing its nightmarishly ugly head again.  Probiotics seems to be the only thing I haven't tried.

I want to say I took PB8 brand, but this was 8 years ago, so I'm not sure. It may have been our food co-op's generic. In any case, probably doesn't matter as long as it's an established, respected brand. I took 3 capsules 3 times a day. The recommended dose on the bottle is going to be something like 1 or 2 capsules a day, but it's fine to take more than that. You can't OD - extra just gets pooped out, so it's safe to take more than recommended or up the dosage if it hasn't worked after a few days. This helps eliminate colonization in the digestive tract, which is often the source.

I think I may have also used a tablet vaginally at bedtime, but I can't remember for sure. I have heard that recommended, though. I've also heard of people applying the powder inside the capsules directly to their nipples.

I think it took about 3 days to show improvement.

It would certainly be the first thing I'd turn to next time! Everything else seemed pretty much pointless, and probiotics are a much more gentle (but still effective!) way of dealing with things. I had tried eating/applying yogurt before, but I don't think the probiotic content is high enough to make a difference for more than a mild infection.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#77 of 114 Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM

hug2.gif Laura

:vibes Ellen!

#78 of 114 Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hugs to everyone!  Sounds like January's been a rough month for lots of us.

Yes Laura - we just got back from the mountain.  While there, dd2 threw up, ds1 and I had diarrhea, and dd1 had a sore stomach.  Despite this, we managed to have a good time.

Discovered Sunday that the sapphire fell out of my engagement ring,  I have no idea where it might be.  The jeweler said it would never fall out...boo to him.

Uh - my tummy isn't right.  Yuck.  Luckily Nicholas hasn't been sick...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#79 of 114 Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 AM

Hugs mamas with all the sickness, job loss, etc! i've had a hard time getting on here to type, but i've been reading! we were all sick last week but were better for now, thankfully! Things have been going fairly well around here.. the days are long, and we are super stir-crazy being cooped up in the house.. but yesterday was gorgeous!! upper 50's and sunny!! we got out for a walk and liam played in the back yard for a bit.

ian is growing like a weed.. i weighed him with me on the scale and he is about 15-16 lbs!! he turned 9 weeks old yesterday.. it is going much too fast!! he is super smiley and happy, we've even had some giggles over the last couple weeks. he sleeps pretty well at night too! usually a 3-5 hour stretch in the beginning, and then every 1-3 hours after that. he is a bit difficult to get to sleep initially and for naps though.. also he usually has to be held for naps or worn.. but he isnt quite ready for the ergo yet, doesnt like to spread his legs around me, and hes too big for the froggy position..

his colic is gone!! and reflux is under control, with a small dose of zantac and me off dairy. going to try to wean off the zantac around 12 weeks. i slipped up and had some dairy on sunday, and monday-tuesday this week he was a gassy mess. thats enough confirmation for me!

i feel like we're finally getting somewhat back into a routine which is great. i've been able to at least shower and make dinner most days. oh and i started a "quiet play time" for Liam in his room for about an hour each afternoon. it has really helped my sanity ;)

happy new year everyone!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#80 of 114 Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM

That's awesome, Catie!

We're going to Riley's for a sort of emergency ped. endocrinologist appointment on monday for my 6 yo. I'm a nervous wreck.

#81 of 114 Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about DH's job!  My DH was unemployed for over a year a couple years ago and it sucked.  It was pretty stressful but he eventually got a new job and it's really good now.  I hope he finds something soon and that in the meantime you can be as unstressed as possible. 

Now this is my DH's second week of being out of town for work.  Luckily my mom came to stay with me all that time, which has been a godsend.  She's just about as helpful as someone can possibly be and DD1 just adores her.  In fact, she went to the coast for a few days last weekend and DD1 spent one night out there with her- her first time without mom or dad with her!  She was SO excited about it and had a great time.  Today's my birthday and my mom left early this morning and DH doesn't come home until 10 tonight so I'm a little bummed that I have no one to celebrate my birthday with.  This will also be the first night I'll have to do bedtime with both kids by myself and I really hope it goes well.  DD1 gave up naps a week or so ago  and she's been really cranky in the evenings now.  She's also starting to get a little more frustrated with her sister and isn't always as nice to her as she's been up until now.  I'm not sure what to do about that.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#82 of 114 Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, Casey!

What's the concern about your dd, Desiree?  I hope your appt goes well.

Great to hear about Ian's colic/reflux being gone, Catie.  

#83 of 114 Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Casey, I hope your birthday was OK. Scks to have no one to celebrate with on the day. How did it go putting the two kids to sleep on your own? I had to do that Wednesday for the first time, and it went better than I thought it would. Not great, but better orngtongue.gif  And I keep forgetting to reply to the fact thatI only just realized you live near me! I'm in Milwaukie. Are you close enough that we could meet up sometime? Both our kids are close in age, so it could be fun.

We seem to have turned a corner with nursing in the past week or so. I'm not sure when it happened, exactly, but things are so much better! Now the only thing we're having trouble with is daytime sleep (thank you big brother who always wants the baby to be awake!), but I think it will be another 2 months before sleep is really regulated, so...

grouphug.gif to all, just for being you!

#84 of 114 Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Catie-so glad that colic is a thing of the past! 

Happy Birthday Casey!

Karen-yay for nursing going well!

Bobbie-hope you all are feeling better, all the sickness going around this year is just unreal.

Well, the nice thing about DH being laid off is that I have lots of help around the house now...and mid week skiing.  Always look at the bright side?  I'm going to take my chance to get the house clean from top to bottom and maybe we can de-stress a bit.  It's been a rough couple of months, and I hope this is the last calamity for a while.  Going skiing tommorow, and I really hope I don't break my leg, although that sounds about right at the rate we've been going, eyesroll.gif

Baby has been sleeping for 8 hours at night....it's bliss but I'm a little worried about my milk supply, I don't feel like I'm making as much, but then I've been so stressed and not eating right...I really have to remind myself to drink more water and eat before 2 pm.  By the time I look after everyone else I wonder why I'm starving. 

#85 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM

nak.gif I have pretty much given up on trying to keep up... bag.gif

Laura, so sorry to hear about your DH's job. greensad.gif I hope it's a period of renewal for you all! Getting the house completely cleaned and relaxing both sound wonderful! smile.gif Hope skiing was fun, too!

Catie, so glad Ian is doing well!

How are all the sickies?

Julie, when do you see the breastfeeding doc? I'm amazed such a thing exists and hope s/he can help you!

Sasha, the best probiotics will be refrigerated. Other than that, whatever brand is fine. But the refrigerated ones will have a higher active component. I hope you find relief!

Eliana is 10 weeks old today. bigeyes.gif I took her for her 2 month check up Friday (a week late) and the doc's scale had her at 9-14. I know from her first week that the scale runs low (my MW confirmed that hers was accurate), but even compared to their own readings, that's falling way down on the growth curve. While kellymom.com says BF babies should average 5-7 ounces gained a week, their calculators show she's averaging (from only pedi's scale measurements) around 3.6. greensad.gif The only thing I can figure is that it's allergies. She has the mucousy stools and some other signs, but is only occasionally fussy. I'm to take stool samples in and have a weight check early this week, so hopefully that will give a better idea.

I did weigh her here on our home postal scale yesterday (10 even) and today (1.5 ounce gain), so I'm at least encouraged that she is gaining (and a reasonable amount). Though I had weighed her on that scale 1.5-2 weeks ago at 9-14-ish, so that's, again, not so good.

In better news, I was playing with her a bit earlier and got the idea she might be ticklish, finally. Sure enough, tickling her neck elicited big laughs and cackles! love.gif This is such a wonderful stage with her being very interactive and smiley and cooing tons. She particularly loves DH and will look for him across the room and coo at him when he's talking. Anyone else's little one seem to love daddy the best? lol.gif There are times when she couldn't care less about smiling at me, but lights up when she hears daddy! love.gif Then again, I am getting milky smiles now, which are awesome! joy.gif

She has been sleeping a ton today, but now it's 2am and she won't crash. eyesroll.gif She's been hanging out, doing neat things like grabbing onto my pajama sleeve, chewing on her fingers, sucking on fingers, etc. But I'm kinda wishing more than 30 seconds of sleep would come, too. lol.gif

We found out recently that my sister is pregnant! joy.gif Then she found out it's twins.gif twins!! She lives in Chicago (we're near Houston) and so we're a bit nuts trying to figure out how to help and be available and see her and all that. I'm contriving plans to get up there to help before the babies are born, but I would really love to be there for the birth, too. (Not sure she wants that, though. redface.gif) Of course, all of this with my own little one who will be 9 months old when they come! So it's all exciting and anxiety-producing and stressful and wonderful all at once... dizzy.gif

Hugs to all! grouphug.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#86 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 AM

Yay, Heather! Congrats to your sister!

Could the weight gain be just evening out? Otherwise I would hazard a guess it's allergies, too, if she's otherwise fine and obviously healthy-enough wet/bm dipes, etc. Molly gained 2 lbs. in 2 weeks and has since evened out more and is dropping on the curve. My 4th did this, too.

#87 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Awesome about your sister, Heather!

This breastfeeding doctor is the only one in our area, and I think that's really cool that there even is one!  We're seeing her tomorrow.  Maia has a weird diaper rash that comes and goes, it's little white bubble things that leave a divet when they pop...?  I originally thought is was related to the thrush and was treating it with Nystatin cream, but now I don't know.  It's easy to clear up, and comes and goes... I'm really so confused about what's going on with us....  dizzy.gif   This doctor works with a DO who does cranio-sacral therapy, and I'm excited about that because it's something I've been wanting to look into more for Maia , based on her speedy birth and the fact that she was crying for hours afterwards and so full of fluid, etc.  There are so many issues that I want to address, like pieces of a puzzle...  I'll report back after our appointment!

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#88 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, Nicholas really does prefer me over dh, which is frustrating for dh, because a few weeks ago, N would give him the biggest smiles!

Julie, I'd be interested to hear what the dr has to say about your rash...my dd2 had a similar rash when she was little (it definitely wasn't yeast)...The "bubbles" of her rash were quite big thoiugh.  The biggest one, which was just above her labia, left a scar after it healed.   We ended up using antibiotic cream, and that slowly made things better.  Please report back when you have a diagnosis.

#89 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

My oldest had a rash like that, bubbles that popped...she still has a couple scars.  She got it during the summer, I wasn't sure if all the fresh fruit wasn't agreeing with her or if it was yeast, I used several different yeast creams and antibiotic cream and it eventually went away, me never really knowing what it was.

#90 of 114 Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Ugh, thought dh, baby and I had dodged the flu.  Dh is miserable sick, headed to the doctor tomorrow to get swabbed for the flu.  Baby is acting strange.  Not feverish but congested and vomitting mucous-y type spit up.  This is so not cool.  I feel like I need to spray myself with lysol.  However, I'm now a big believer in the tamiflu that ds took.  His flu was SO MUCH shorter than what dd1's was.  It's been really going through ds's school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page