Birth Control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So who's doing what and when?

Dh and I had decided that this would be our last baby, yet he told me the other day that he doesn't want to get a vasectomy for a while because it's so "permanent".  So even though I didn't want to mess with hormones at all, I think I'm going to get the Mirena IUD.  I thought that if I had it for a year, we could then revisit the issue of whether or not we want any more kids, and then if the answer is no, he can get snipped at that point.  

The only thing is, I don't know if I should try to buy myself more time since I'm breastfeeding, or if that's a recipe for disaster?  With my first, she breastfed until she was 2 1/2 and I didn't get my first period until she was 18 mo. old.  With my second, he breastfed until he was 7 mo old and I got my period two months later.  I'm afraid that if I chose to do nothing for 6 months or so, it'll really put a stress on our sex life because we'll always be worrying "what if?"  

So what's your strategy and why?

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What about the copper IUD so there's no hormones that could mess with your milk supply?

Dh got a V about a week and a half ago. I'm both relieved (physically) and unhappy about it (emotionally).

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

milk supply is not always affected with mirena.  mine wasn't -- i nursed dd1 till she was 2.5 and we only weaned because i got pg with dd2.  got the mirena taken out when dd1 turned 2 years old.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#4 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

I can't do anything hormonal... it makes me very ill. Hubby and I won't get 'fixed' so that's a no go. I'm going to look a little more into charting, I loosely charted the past few years so I have an idea with my cycles. There's going to be some worry, lol, because we are apparently exceptionally fertile.... we didn't 'try' for any of our babies.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#5 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 02:50 PM

I can't do hormonal either, I had a mini-stroke (TIA) in 2005 due to the birth control patch and so I'm off hormones for life. I'll be getting a copper IUD in the next few weeks until we are ready for little one number 2.

I've heard the Mirena is progesterone only so it doesn't always affect milk supply - but my source is not particularly reliable... maybe something to look into?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#6 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Nic-what about diaphragm? I had one and charted and still had kids #4 and #5. lol.gif I don't do hormonal, either, after my myomectomy and the estrogen link. I did try the mini-pill (progesterone) pp with #3 and my milk dropped off like a freaking rock. It came back when I stopped taking it. It doesn't do that for everyone, but keep in mind it does for some people, so watch that.

#7 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i asked the mw specifically about milk supply and she said it shouldn't affect it.  it is progesterone.  I've heard the copper IUD can cause heavy periods/b;eeding and since I'm cursed with that anyway, I don't want something that may make it worse...

So Desiree, no complications or anything from the vasectomy?  That scares me so much!

#8 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM

We do Billings Ovulation Method (cervical mucus), and I've had 4 planned kids.  I was on the Pill for 5 years pre-dd1, and I never want to do hormone bc again.

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#9 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM

If you don't want hormones the Paraguard IUD is a good choice.  Mirena doesn't have to affect milk supply, it sure didn't mine. 

We knew we were done done after number 3 but it still took a while to be comfortable with the vasectomy, even though it was something we wanted.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#10 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM

I just picked up my mini-pill prescription today.  I did this between the other kids and never had any problem with supply.  Of course, I also got pregnant while on it.....  Dh wants to get a V and I want him to get one.  It's the money, of course, that holds us back.  Cheaper in the long run, but..... a little painful to pay out that kind of money while I have yet to pay for having the baby yet.

The mini pill isn't a great option for everyone.  My sister had a terrible time with her milk supply for the very short time she was on it.  We've used condoms the 2 times we've managed to dtd, but we don't find them to be a great long-term option either.

#11 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Nic-what about diaphragm? I had one and charted and still had kids #4 and #5. lol.gif I don't do hormonal, either, after my myomectomy and the estrogen link. I did try the mini-pill (progesterone) pp with #3 and my milk dropped off like a freaking rock. It came back when I stopped taking it. It doesn't do that for everyone, but keep in mind it does for some people, so watch that.

I tried the mini-pull after #3 and I bled so heavily for the 7 days I was on it, I thought I was going to die. It effed up my cycle so bad it took almost 4 years for it to level out again. Ick!

I was going to get a diaphragm after Sage... but wound up blowing it off and just charting based on cervical mucous alone. I didn't realize that was a 'method'. We also use the withdrawal method... which has actually proven to be very effective if we follow the rules very carefully. I think we'll probably use condoms and wd on top of charting.

#12 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM

I have heard many people complain about being systemically effected by the progesterone in the Mirena IUC. I had considered it after my daughter but upon reading more about it, having more than one friend have complications from it and the systemic connection decided against it. I am extremely sensitive to any and all synthetic hormones.

#13 of 35 Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

I have heard many people complain about being systemically effected by the progesterone in the Mirena IUC. I had considered it after my daughter but upon reading more about it, having more than one friend have complications from it and the systemic connection decided against it. I am extremely sensitive to any and all synthetic hormones.

Yikes, Nic!  Can you give me more details?  We've also used withdrawal since we've known each other, but aren't always great about it, which is how #2 and #3 were conceived! I'd be comfortable doing that again for 6 months or so while I'm exclusively bfing... Maybe dh and I need to re-discuss...

#14 of 35 Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM

My best friend decided to be the 'guinea pig' awhile back ago... I think I was pregnant when she had the IUC placed. She had it for about 4 months and had crazy mood swings but that wasn't the worst... she started feeling a lot of pain went in and it was infected. I realize this can happen to anyone but she's not the first person I've known to get an infection from the IUC. Another woman I know had it for almost 5 years and they had a terrible time removing it, something about it slipping and almost adhering to something?? I'm not sure fully... if you read in the family planning forum here you'll see some more of what I'm talking about. Some people love it... but I personally don't want to risk it considering I'm so sensitive to hormones. Also, both of my aunts had breast cancer which likely was caused by synthetic hormones.... I don't want to play with fire.

#15 of 35 Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post

My best friend decided to be the 'guinea pig' awhile back ago... I think I was pregnant when she had the IUC placed. She had it for about 4 months and had crazy mood swings but that wasn't the worst... she started feeling a lot of pain went in and it was infected. I realize this can happen to anyone but she's not the first person I've known to get an infection from the IUC. Another woman I know had it for almost 5 years and they had a terrible time removing it, something about it slipping and almost adhering to something?? I'm not sure fully... if you read in the family planning forum here you'll see some more of what I'm talking about. Some people love it... but I personally don't want to risk it considering I'm so sensitive to hormones. Also, both of my aunts had breast cancer which likely was caused by synthetic hormones.... I don't want to play with fire.

Yeah, I know those risks exist, but I hadn't known of anyone that actually had them happen!  scared.gif  I actually just got off the phone with my insurance company and it turns out they don't cover IUD's!  So I guess that's out.  No way am I paying $1,500-$2,000 for something I don't know if I want anyway!

#16 of 35 Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Yikes! What about implanon or what hormones does that have? I have an online friend who ended up pg with an IUD and it was horrible what she went through (she lost the baby) and another who had it fall out, and yet another who had it migrate into her abdomen!

#17 of 35 Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM

We're not using bc. I didn't get my period back after my first for 15 months and I didn't get pregnant until he was almost two. We do want more children, I would like to wait a year or so to get pregnant again. Once I get my period back I'll be charting and withdrawal to time the next pregnancy.

I went on the mini pill for the first couple months after my first and then I stopped taking it. I was pumping and having trouble getting enough. (although I think there were other contributing factors to that). Otherwise we just used charting and withdrawal.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#18 of 35 Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No bc here, either. Thankfully, my cycles have stayed away longer and longer with each one. Last time, it was 2 years and a week after he was born before it returned. thumb.gif We're not thinking we'll have more so we'll likely just commit to charting or buy one of the computer thingies that can help (like LadyComp). We haven't even had an opportunity to try again in the last 8 weeks, so who knows, it may not be that much of an issue! redface.giflol.gif

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#19 of 35 Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM

I'm fairly positive I just got my period back, at 6 weeks pp greensad.gif  Seriously, I am the most fertile person in the world.  So frustrating, because we don't want anymore kids!  

So I was going to not worry about bc for a few months, but it's back to using the diaphragm for us until my husband gets a vasectomy.  We have a consultation scheduled, so it won't be too long from now, and the diaphragm has always worked fine for us.  I'm anti-hormone bc as well, and I am not into condoms or withdrawal, so it's diaphragm or cervical cap for us.  I can't wait until he gets his vasectomy and we never have to worry about bc again!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#20 of 35 Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayJennie View Post

I'm fairly positive I just got my period back, at 6 weeks pp greensad.gif  Seriously, I am the most fertile person in the world.  So frustrating, because we don't want anymore kids!  

I know what you mean! If I could just go give my fertility to someone else who wanted it, I totally would, even though I'm not quite ready to say for sure that I'm done.

We're leaning towards IUD or vasectomy. I'd like the ability to revisit the issue in 5-10 years, but don't want any more "joyous surprises" before we're sure we want another. I'd prefer Mirena, because I'd rather it suppressed ovulation rather than simply preventing implantation, but I'm also wary of the hormones. A geneticist friend of mine says home-freezing of sperm is pretty easy and we have a deep freezer... I may ask her more about that.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#21 of 35 Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 PM

I had a paragard put in just after Christmas.  So far so good.  Dh will be getting a vasectomy at some point but at least the IUD gives me some piece of mind. 

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#22 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DDCC -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

I'd prefer Mirena, because I'd rather it suppressed ovulation rather than simply preventing implantation, but I'm also wary of the hormones.

"Mirena may stop the release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases."

http://www.mirena-us.com/faqs/index.jsp#25

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#23 of 35 Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM

I used the mini-pill from the time DD was born until deciding to conceive DS (so for about 2 1/2 years).  It worked well for us and didn't affect my milk supply.  The only thing I didn't like about it is that when I did get my "period" back it came in the form of random, unpredictable spotting two or three times a month.  I just went back on the mini-pill last week and what do you know - random spotting already even though I am breastfeeding nearly constantly.  It's a common and annoying side effect, apparently.  DH has talked about getting a vasectomy - he brought it up actually, which surprised me.  It would be nice to not have to think about it.  I'm 99% sure we are done having kids but something about the permanence of it bothers me.

#24 of 35 Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Well, I had a tubal ligation during my c-sec, so that's taken care of for me.  Sheepish.gif

But after DS, I had the Mirena implanted. I know people who have had issues, but I never did. I had it done at my 6 week pp appointment because I had a friend who got pregnant when her son was 4.5 months old, despite breastfeeding on demand (all night long, etc).  She never even had a period in between kids!  I bf my son until 2y3m, and took the Mirena out myself just before weaning (all in prep for getting pregnant again). I did have very light periods while it was in, after getting my period back ~8m pp.

DH was going to get snipped after this babe, but since I had to have a c-sec and had the tubal, his urologist recommends against a vasectomy in addition. Just not worth the risks. If I hadn't had the tubal, he'd get the v.

I think there are plenty of options that are not hormonal - diaphragm, cervical cap, sponge, spermicide, condoms, abstinence, or charting. If you are particularly fertile (like my sis who got pg while on the pill and her boyfriend using a condom), I think a combination of these might be best (for a while, we did charting combined with condom use during potentially fertile times).

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#25 of 35 Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Birth control?  That means I'd have to be having sex, right?  Lol.  If we ever do find the time to DTD my DH has an economy sized box of condoms at the ready, poor guy.  Given the fact that I've never gotten pregnant without medical help, in theory we could just go without, and I do still think I'd like a 3rd child...but I really don't want 2 kids in the same year, so we'll err on the side of caution.  I was period free for 9 months after DD 1, which I felt was a bit of a rip-off considering I was still nursing through the night at that point.  I'm a big fan of amenorrhea.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#26 of 35 Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM

lol @ the giant box of condoms. I picked up my IUD from the pharmacy today. Is it weird that I'm excited?

Feisty Feminist Mama: Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing, punkrock Fire-Dancer! I live to laugh, love, and create. And then blog about it. So in love with little Des! Born 11/25/10
#27 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Farren- if you think that's funny, you should have seen what DH brought home after our first was born.  He ordered a truly giant box online from a website called 'condom man', that came with ' discreet' packaging.  Men.biglaugh.gif

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#28 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Condom Man, lol!

Anyone else not really into dtd?  I'm sure it's hormonal, because I was good to go while pregnant, even up to the end.  I can still O, but just not really that interested right now.  This is new for me - didn't experience this after any other babies...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#29 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 PM

lol.gif I'm totally into DTD. Dh is the one that's too tired most of the time. Thank god for Molly being a better sleeper without dairy!

#30 of 35 Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Stitches, that is hilarious. Thank God for "discreet packaging!"ROTFLMAO.gif

I'm off and on as far as dtd goes. Depends how much sleep I had the night before, I think, hahaha. I'm sure it is hormonal, Bobbi, I know when I was taking hormonal birth control it really affected my sex drive.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page