Homebirth thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anyone else planning--or thinking about planning--a homebirth?

I had mine "almost at home" last time. It's illegal--as in midwives have been jailed in my state, to hire a CPM here. CNM's JUST became legal in 2008 and I have yet to hear of anyone doing homebirths in my area. (I mean legal to attend HOMEBIRTHS, not in hospital!)

Since I live close to the border, I found a midwife who does births for people who want to cross to her--in a house at the border. I had a great waterbirth. Hoping to do it again!

(EDD by Google 11/27, hanging out on both Nov. and Dec. as DD was a natural birth 9 days pre-EDD and DS2 was a natural birth 1 week past EDD.)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey there! yay December-ish babies!
We're having our 5th baby, and 4th UC/UP. So far, and I am only 5 weeks, but I feel comfy about it.
all mine, with the acception of #1 in the hospital, were late. One was really late- like 44 weeks.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 AM

We will be doing another Waterbirth at home. People thought I was crazy to have my first child at home but I just knew in my heart that it would be an amazing experience and it was.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#4 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 AM

I am hoping to make an appt soon with a midwife or two in the area to see if I am a candidate for a homebirth. Other than age, (I am about to turn 40) I don't think I'll have anything against me this pregnancy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I've had 4 hosipital births and they were a mix of inductions/pitocin/epidural/forceps/pulling on cord/placenta leading to heavy bleeding mixed with really dumb rules and an overall feeling of being a prisoner in a hospital. I really was just ignorant and didn't know how much of an option that homebirth was. Now I know, so I'm thinking "know better, do better".

I look forward to hearing everyone's experiences.

Tracy
#5 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Definitely planning another homebirth. The first two were at home. The first in California and the second in the Netherlands.

OP, are you in RI by any chance? I'm from there and your description of the legal situation sounds awfully familiar.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#6 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We're absolutely having a homebirth. My first 5 were at home so I don't plan to do anything different this time.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#7 of 86 Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM

Planning a homebirth. Last time I had an OB overseeing my birth in a birthing cabin. It was an awesome awesome birth, however, he got too hands on in the 3rd stage of labour and ended up transferring me to hospital.... Yeah, I still get a bit angry about that. Anyway, I want a midwife to manage this birth in close partnership with me and my DH. Unless I really need a doctor, I am staying far away from them.

This time around DH is onboard for birthing in our home, not someone elses home.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#8 of 86 Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 86 Old 04-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
We're absolutely having a homebirth. My first 5 were at home so I don't plan to do anything different this time.
Wow, that is awesome that you have had 5 homebiths
I see you also knit, I can't wait to get to know everyone more

#10 of 86 Old 04-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Add me to the list... at least tenatively!

I'm a little freaked out. I have had a nice dark BFP at 8 DPO! And this was first cycle after a MC. I"m REALLY nervous and hopeing this one is sticky this time.

Also nervous because of the super dark BFP for only being 8 DPO. I will be getting betas done monday and wednesday this week.

Mama to a zoo!
#11 of 86 Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM

I am, I am!! Had a horrible first birth that ended in a c/s. Hoping I can HB this time. I'm actually interviewing a midwife tomorrow afternoon. . My only concern is that I have had some high blood pressure issues in the past, but I have lost about 50 lbs in the last year and I've been able to come off medication so I won't risk out!

#12 of 86 Old 04-04-2010, 04:57 PM

I am on the fence about a HB, we recently bought our first home and this is the only place we have lived that I have thought "wow, having a baby here would be great!" My DD was delivered by midwife at a birthing centre. Because of that experience, which was excellent, I am considering doing it that way again. Birthing centres in Quebec have been referred to as B&Bs (birth and breakfast) because it's like being at a lovely B&B. However, the idea of birthing at home is very appealing and I just got my BFP yesterday and today, so I am just getting used to the idea that I am really pregnant! Very interested to get to know everyone, I am so excited!!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#13 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM

I just met the HB midwife and all I have to say is

She was amazing!! She brought someone who is studying to be a CPM and LM, and said they attend a lot of births together. The one who is studying is also really into herbs and natural remedies for things, as well as the importance of good nutrition, so we will be using that and exercise to control my BP. ALSO, her DH works at the same place my DH does!!!!

My BP readings have been pretty good the past few months and I know they will be better with the herbs and diet help. AND, they said they would not call me while I'm driving 60 on the highway and tell me I risked out if I do like the birthing center did with DS. Also, I found out that my PP doula with DS is working on becoming a midwife and loves to attend births with these two ladies and I LOVE her. I was like "she's more than welcome at my birth!" I have such a good feeling about this. They think I am a good candidate and I am going to visualize positive thoughts only (and low BP readings ) and keep my this works out!!!

So happy today!!! I booked her on the spot (I had interviewed some last year for preconception consultations and I never felt this connection with another MW), and she is going to email me in the next couple days and set up our first appointment between 8-10 weeks

#14 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM

lawmama1984 what wonderful news. That is so reassuring to have found a team that you feel so comfortable with so quickly. that your BP stays down. I was just reading about vit D3 and keeping blood pressure down in pregnancy. I'm wanting to get my 25(OH)D leves checked.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#15 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Megan, thank you! We chatted for an hour and a half without even realizing it! Time honestly flew and I'm generally a shyer person, but I bet these MWs wouldn't even know it b/c they put me so much at ease I was just a jabber jaw. I was so excited after they left, I POAS again (yes, I have a problem lol!)

Thank you for the tip on the vit D3. I'll definitely ask about that. This may be a dumb question, but what is "25 (OH) D?"

#16 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM

It's the blood test done to test your vitD levels. I am fascinated with vit D at the moment - it is being linked to more and more health concerns, the lack of vit D that is. It's not just about calcium metabolism like they thought - it's connected to your overall immune system, amongst other things. And deficiency is far more widespread than was previously thought. Largely due to indoor living, sunscreen and some people not producing enough vit D when exposed to sunlight.

That is seriously so awesome about the MW's. That is the best start you can have for your care

#17 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 06:41 PM

We are planning on a home water birth. I have my first midwife appt on Thursday. I don't think I would get ruled out for anything, but I keep having dreams that I do!
#18 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Megan, thanks for the info. Looks like I need to add to my grocery list:
1) Nettles tea
2) Prenatals that aren't huge and won't make me puke
3) Fish oil (I'm vegetarian but MWs said this is really one of the best things I can take, so I will suck it up for 10 months)
4) Vit D3

And I'm sure much much more

#19 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Melek, I just got the naturemade prenatals that are coated in the DHA. From walmart. They are HUGE but very easy to swallow and don't smell so bad. Now to see if I can keep them down because normally I cannot.

Mama to a zoo!
#20 of 86 Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Amanda, thanks for that info! Last time I tried 2 or 3 different kinds...Rainbow light from whole foods, target brand, a different whole foods one and they all made me sooooo sick!

#21 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM

just met with our midwife, i guess people interview many before choosing? I couldnt find more than 2 and im in a very crunchy area.

Anyways she was great. im a little scared now that its more real. One thing i am dissapointed about is that she only recommends 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks! and im like a control freak and i want to know everything is ok RIGHT NOW i want to hear a heart beat damn it and know there's a baby in there and just one!

I dont have maternity coverage so it will be all out of pocket, so i cant really afford more than 1 ultrasound anyway.

Outside of that, im about 6 weeks i guess now, so she said we can schedule the first visit soon all she will do is draw blood and go over medical history stuff, and then the next month we can do doppler i guess and listen to baby's heartbeat

i like the hands offish approach in labor and i really want to do it all at home, but during prenatal visits i kind of want more reassurance that everything is ok with baby....

How are you dealing with that part?
#22 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeenHappier View Post
I am hoping to make an appt soon with a midwife or two in the area to see if I am a candidate for a homebirth. Other than age, (I am about to turn 40) I don't think I'll have anything against me this pregnancy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I've had 4 hosipital births and they were a mix of inductions/pitocin/epidural/forceps/pulling on cord/placenta leading to heavy bleeding mixed with really dumb rules and an overall feeling of being a prisoner in a hospital. I really was just ignorant and didn't know how much of an option that homebirth was. Now I know, so I'm thinking "know better, do better".

I look forward to hearing everyone's experiences.

Tracy
my CPM does not refuse someone solely based on age--in fact she says most of her "older moms" (meaning people above the age hospitals consider 'advanced age') are among the ones who do the *best* because of planning, life experience, whatever it might be.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#23 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
Definitely planning another homebirth. The first two were at home. The first in California and the second in the Netherlands.

OP, are you in RI by any chance? I'm from there and your description of the legal situation sounds awfully familiar.
Nope, but one of the FEW states that is actually so backward as to PROSECUTE midwives.

(there are a couple states close to me with no legislation but also no prosecution.)

#24 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnquia View Post
Add me to the list... at least tenatively!

I'm a little freaked out. I have had a nice dark BFP at 8 DPO! And this was first cycle after a MC. I"m REALLY nervous and hopeing this one is sticky this time.

Also nervous because of the super dark BFP for only being 8 DPO. I will be getting betas done monday and wednesday this week.

hmmmmm is it possible there *were* twins and only one miscarried? (just finished a birth story book where this happened to someone...)

#25 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
I am not planning on having ultrasound if possible. Not having found a midwife just yet, I don't know how this will work.

I am focusing on the physical symptoms I have to reassure me that I am indeed pregnant. And when I sit/lie quietly by myself, I trust that all is OK, and if it isn't, I trust that I will know. A little woo-istic to be sure. I am wanting this pregnancy to be much more peaceful than my previous one.

I was reading in Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering about ultrasound and what it does to the developing brains of mice and I got a little freaked out to be honest.

I'm also very keen to keep ultrasound technicians away after my last pregnancy where they totally tortured me.

#26 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
just met with our midwife, i guess people interview many before choosing? I couldnt find more than 2 and im in a very crunchy area.

Anyways she was great. im a little scared now that its more real. One thing i am dissapointed about is that she only recommends 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks! and im like a control freak and i want to know everything is ok RIGHT NOW i want to hear a heart beat damn it and know there's a baby in there and just one!

I dont have maternity coverage so it will be all out of pocket, so i cant really afford more than 1 ultrasound anyway.

Outside of that, im about 6 weeks i guess now, so she said we can schedule the first visit soon all she will do is draw blood and go over medical history stuff, and then the next month we can do doppler i guess and listen to baby's heartbeat

i like the hands offish approach in labor and i really want to do it all at home, but during prenatal visits i kind of want more reassurance that everything is ok with baby....

With my first pregnancy I saw my OBGYN and Midwife at first and then decided to have a homebirth and quit seeing the OBGYN. Since I was seeing both for the first 16 weeks or so I did have numerous ultrasounds and tests from the OBGYN to reassure me (My Midwife recommended no ultrasounds). I am going to see just my Midwife this time around and try not to worry about having like 4 ultrasounds and all of those tests, which actually scared me more than reassured me. I think 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks is actually perfect because the baby will be big enough to see everything and you can find out the gender if you so desire. My DH helped me a lot when I was stressing out about if the baby was o.k and so did my friends. It is just normal to worry and no amount of ultrasounds are really going to ease that, know what I mean? We will always be here for you if you need someone to talk to

#27 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 AM

We are planning a Home Birth. We met with the midwife last night and we think we want to do a waterbirth. I'm excited and a little nervous. I've always used OBs and hospitals so this will be different for us!
#28 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Just popping in to say hi.

This will be our second homebirth, hopefully another waterbirth with my super awesome, hands off midwife/friend.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#29 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
hmmmmm is it possible there *were* twins and only one miscarried? (just finished a birth story book where this happened to someone...)
I wish this were the case however, my numbers were followed down to 0 and I charted you can see clear ovulation (I think twice) lol and now a nice dark BFP at 8DPO and a beta of 75 at 10DPo.. I go for 2nd beta tomorrow.

I called our MW last night and she was super excited so I'm excited and just waiting for the day we can hear the HB so I can relax

Mama to a zoo!
#30 of 86 Old 04-06-2010, 06:37 PM

peaceful_mama - Thanks for that info.

I just got off the phone with a prospective midwife (seems like one of two or three in my area) and she sounds like a dream. She was very nice, about a year older than I am and had her 5th (and the 2 or three before that one) baby at home last year, so she said that my age would not play into whether I was a candidate or not.

Her office is like 4 miles down the road from my house and her house (which she explained is also important for middle of the night labors) is about 1.5 miles from my house!

We will be meeting with her in a few days and I can't wait to ask her some of my questions! She said to make a list as she loves people that come with lists.

She had a great website and since I'm such a www freak I love that about her. Lots of detailed explanations about what to expect and what's included and how everything is up to the mom - no hard and fast rules. So unlike going to the doctor where they tell you how it's gonna be (their rules!).

I'm so excited - can't wait to tell DH when he gets home!

Tracy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page