Any moms working out? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just getting back into the swing of things too. I have had some lovely workouts over the past week. I plan to go back to every other day at the gym. Plus, I take the kids on walks almost everyday.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#62 of 80 Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 AM

I'd like to join you ladies here! I exercised very regularly with my last baby, but developed fibromyalgia after she was born. As a result, I've not gotten back into the swing of things, nor lost any of my baby weight! However, I joined a gym this week, and am resolved to go 5-6 days a week, even if all I do if walk 5 or 6 laps and bounce around with my 2yo. So far this week, I've gone and "played" in the water on Monday, Tuesday, and today (Thursday). Its not much, but its a start, and I'm pretty proud of myself for taking the "plunge."

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#63 of 80 Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm usually a pretty big snowshoer and hiker, but have kind of fallen out of the habit the last month or so (slush season, gardening, other business) - only a few hikes. However, I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a week long backpacking trip with my husband and 15 month old! I think I've kind of fallen into the trap of assuming since I've had very few symptoms in this surprise pregnancy, I can just keep with all my plans as if I weren't pregnant. We'll see how that goes! (husband will carry almost all the stuff, I carry the 15 month old). Most of me is excited, part of me worries I'm crazy.
#64 of 80 Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
I'm usually a pretty big snowshoer and hiker, but have kind of fallen out of the habit the last month or so (slush season, gardening, other business) - only a few hikes. However, I'm leaving tomorrow to go on a week long backpacking trip with my husband and 15 month old! I think I've kind of fallen into the trap of assuming since I've had very few symptoms in this surprise pregnancy, I can just keep with all my plans as if I weren't pregnant. We'll see how that goes! (husband will carry almost all the stuff, I carry the 15 month old). Most of me is excited, part of me worries I'm crazy.
I think your backpacking trip sounds awesome! DH and I are going on a week long camping trip to a primitive site in Oregon this summer; can't wait for all that hiking! And I'm trying to convince him that we should go camping in February, since in FL that's the best time to go, but he's not sold on camping with an 2 month old yet

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#65 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 AM

How are you ladies doing? I'm doing alright, I've been in to the gym 5x a week the past two weeks, but this week is a bit more tired and crazy.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#66 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 AM

I only got in a couple of workouts last week and I did some yoga and weightlifting today. I am really hoping that the nausea is gone soon because working out really helps me control my stress and I feel like I am a better mommy when I get a good workout in. It helps that we have a great gym in our house for convenience, but I just haven't felt up to it lately. It doesn't help that it is too crazy hot here for me to go outside and walk or anything!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#67 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The backpacking trip went great! And I've been a total lump since, but it's been less than a week, and I'm headed out again for a 5 day backpacking trip in a few days.
#68 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Hey ladies-

I need to jump on the band wagon and get my big butt into gear! I completely forgot about this thread!

Here's what I am wondering- before I saw this thread, I was planning on creating a new thread for anyone that wanted to "commit" to working out at least 3 times a week. I find that when I have a group of people counting on me to get my workouts in, I am much more driven to get off the couch and make it happen. So the thread would be sort of different because we'd have that expectation that we would check in each time we worked out and we would all be committing to a certain amount of exercise- almost like an Accountability thread.

So my question is this: is that going over the top? Would that offend anyone if I started another thread? Would any of you be interested in an "accountability thread?"

Let me know!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#69 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM

Happy912: the first few pages are more of the "accountability" thing you are talking about; we all kind of checked in each day or so to report on what we had been doing. I'd be happy to frequent this thread more often.

I've been having some good workouts. Pre pregnancy, I tried to 45 min. on the elliptical on those days, but now I find that 30 min. is about all I feel good doing; I try to either then walk on the treadmill for 15 min., or have a really good stretching session. The other day I walked for 45 min. on the tread mill and I think I averaged 4.1 mph, and I played with the incline a bit, so I felt good about that.

Yesterday, I swam 1 mile, but I was definitely more tired than normal after that! Today is an elliptical day, so I"ll head out for that in about an hour. I'm averaging about 6 days a week of working out. One of those days is just a "big walk" day, like that 45 min. treadmill walk. And on the day I don't workout, DH and I will go for a walk around the pond and rec center; it's leisurely, but it's about 1.5 miles.

I am still totally blowing off yoga...I don't want to go to a regullar yoga class, because some of the "on your belly" stuff does NOT feel good (more to my breasts than to my belly, but you get the point) but I am not even showing, so I would feel silly going to a prenatal class! I need to do it at home, but can't seem to work up the motivation...any ideas?

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#70 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM

A group of my friends and I are about to start a walking contest. We each buy our own pedometers and report our steps at the end of the week to our coordinating friend. Hypothetically, we'll be walking the length of the coast of our home state with prizes for who walks there first, as well as prizes along the way. I find this to be very motivational as I am a rather competative person. It helps to be accountable to others and to have rewards. Last time, I won a pedicure!
#71 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 11:17 AM

I have been making it to the gym 3-4x a week. I am going to work out as soon as I finish my coffee.

#72 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I've been MIA. I kind of put the kebosh (sp?) on workout DVDs after I had the weird discharge after doing the shred awhile back, but my MW suggested I get a prenatal yoga dvd, so I may look into that. I've mostly just been walking, but it is So. Stinkin'. Hot. in Texas. We are on vacation in Bar Harbor, Maine right now and it is heavenly. I've been walking 2-3 miles around town and in Acadia National Park daily. I want to rent bikes tomorrow (our last day), so I'm hoping we have time. My mom told me I can't ride a bike while I'm pregnant but I haven't heard that (except for in the last few weeks). So, anyway, hopefully I get to bike tomorrow. When we get back home, I'm going to try to go walking around the lake first thing in the morning before it's a million degrees outside.

Happy, I wouldn't be offended. We were reporting here at first, but I guess you noticed our thread had kind of been buried there for awhile

#73 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM

I'd be up for an accountability thread of sorts. I could use that myself, so I certainly wouldn't be offended. When I'm not pregnant I'm usually either always working out or doing nothing. I just rejoined a gym just before I got pregnant. I was going pretty regularly 3-4 times a week and continued pretty well on until I was about 6 weeks. Then I started getting MS and wanted nothing to do with the gym. Then tiredness set in shortly after that. I'm starting to feel better now though and am trying to get back into the swing of things but I've only been to the gym once this week. And since it had been a few weeks it was not the easiest workout. Hopefully I can fit in one or two more times between now and Sunday. It's tough now that the weather is nice and there is so much going on besides working out.
#74 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
*blush*

I wanted to start exercising but I'm a little scared to. I can't go faster than a relaxed walk without risking getting really dizzy really fast. We live on the second story and I can feel totally normal at ground level and nearly pass out at the top of the stairs. I can't quite find a pattern of exactly why either. Most of the time I'm fine but when I get dizzy I can go from feeling great to feeling like **** in less than 5 seconds.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#75 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 PM

I'm FINALLY back to working out! Aiming to do P90X workouts 5x/week. I've been back on it for a week now and feel AWESOME!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#76 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysQueen View Post
I'm FINALLY back to working out! Aiming to do P90X workouts 5x/week. I've been back on it for a week now and feel AWESOME!
Are you for real?? Good for you! I couldn't even do those when I wasn't pregnant. lol

Ok- well, it seems like there is interest in doing the accountability thread if I am reading everyone's posts right, so I will make one and see where it goes!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#77 of 80 Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy912 View Post
Are you for real?? Good for you! I couldn't even do those when I wasn't pregnant. lol

Ok- well, it seems like there is interest in doing the accountability thread if I am reading everyone's posts right, so I will make one and see where it goes!
I swear, I couldn't do them when I wasn't pregnant either. I don't know HOW I'm doing it. I do have to keep a close watch on my HB and sit out a few minutes if it gets too elevated. Other than that, I do what I can. Maybe it's that I'm much more flexible with what I can/can't do since I'm pregnant? I'm not being as hard on myself? I dunno. But it's a darn good workout! And I'm happy to be losing some weight (I was a little overweight to begin with) and feeling more healthy. Baby has a nice strong HB every night and that's what matters most!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#78 of 80 Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry if this has been asked before (I blame prego brain) but does anyone have any good prenatal yoga dvd recs? My MW wants me to start doing it, but I'm overwhelmed by the choices and the reviews on Amazon.

#79 of 80 Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM

I have done this one with the last few kids:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/prenata...107SPRTAPEMACS

I haven't tried any others, so I can't say it is the best, but it works.

#80 of 80 Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
I have done this one with the last few kids:

http://www.gaiam.com/product/prenata...107SPRTAPEMACS

I haven't tried any others, so I can't say it is the best, but it works.
Thank you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page