Any moms working out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just thought I'd check in and see if we have any avid exercisers in here. I was a total bum during my last pregnancy, but I really got healthy before this one, and now I exercise at least 5-6 times a week (goal is 7 days, but you know... )

I just thought maybe we could start a thread as a support group, especially for those days when we're lazy and don't want to work out.

And I am not hardcore or anything. I usually just do 30 mins a day of cardio a day and weightlifting a few times a week. I want to get some prenatal yoga DVDs here soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM

I usually like to exercise evryday but have been too tired and cranky the last few weeks. I need to get my butt in gear and start a light exercise routine. I too would like to do prenatal yoga (I did during my last pregnancy) and start going on a walk everynight. I think a support group is an excellent idea!

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Jaime,

I have been cranky too, especially with DH (although I think he is purposely doing stuff to tick me off LOL), and I use that to really get my butt going on the treadmill. I won't even tell you what I imagine when I'm walking or doing a kickboxing workout but suffice it to say that a lot of my crankiness has been put to good use

What yoga DVDs do you have? I need some recs since I didn't do it last time!

Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Yeah - I enjoy my morning walks (with sprints) and I want to add some yoga. I was doing a bit of yoga, but stopped about a month or two ago. I am looking into a dvd, as it is just easier to do on my own time. I've also started a vegetable garden in our local community garden, so I am going to count that as exercise

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM

I think this is such a great idea!!! I have been walking for 30 minutes on my lunch breaks but the walking is relatively leisurely, and I really want to get back in the habit of getting a few strength workouts in and definitely start the pregnancy yoga that everyone raves about!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM

Wow, this Pregnancy was a Surprise.. We (my husband and I)have been teaching out of our home for months and just recently went and started renting a store front.. We are getting really Busy, everything is going great.. (I'm Pregnant Know) That was a Shock, BUT I am still running 5 classes a Week and I plan on teaching and exercise till I am DUE! I am in the best shape of my life, So I plan on staying in Great Shape! Its been really heard lately because I am starting to Bloat and look Preggo to me and my husband and it is to soon... I understand it is my third, I wouldn't think..eeerrrr Maybe its twins....:/ hahaha

So I encourage all of you to keep your Shape and just keep busy and don't eat to much! I think that you should be fine, I tell my ladies to at least workout hard 3 days a week and walk in-between. Good luck ladies..

Daughter (7.5) Son(5) and Husband of 9 Years!!  saynovax.gifhomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgh20homebirth.gif
***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*stork-boy.gif
Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (level 1) today. I think I'm almost ready to move to level 2, but to be honest, I'm a little scared of it lol Has anyone tried this?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:56 PM

I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, too. I am moving up to level three tomorrow.

I normally work out at a gym, 30 min cardio and weights a few times a week, but I needed to mix it up. I have been pretty pleased with the Shred. I do have to do it in the AM or I won't have the energy later on.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
I'm doing the 30 Day Shred, too. I am moving up to level three tomorrow.

I normally work out at a gym, 30 min cardio and weights a few times a week, but I needed to mix it up. I have been pretty pleased with the Shred. I do have to do it in the AM or I won't have the energy later on.
Thank you for the tip, Jazzmin! I think I am going to do level one for one more week and then move it on up if I feel as good as I did after today's. It was challenging, but I definitely feel I can do a little more. I don't do it every day though, but this week, I am going to try for 3 times, treadmill twice and maybe my Biggest Loser DVD a couple times? I guess we'll see...

DH did it with me tonight. It was soooo funny. He used DS's toy bowling pins as "weights" b/c he said he had to get a feel for the DVD first. And then, when it got to be too hard, he'd say he had to stop b/c DS was blocking his view of the TV

Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 AM

Ugh. Me? I should be exercising. I didn't this week, which I'm blaming on tiredness and the first week of classes. But can you guys kick my butt into gear? I really want to stay healthy and keep up my energy and do as much ab strengthening as possible to help with delivery. I was a little scared off when the first nurse I saw suggested that I be extra careful at pilates and tell my instructor that I'm pregnant. I thought that if pilates could be harmful, what on earth could I do? I think she was just being paranoid (or uninformed?), so I'm going to stick with it. My goal is to work out three times a week. And after we move (in June), I fully intend to find a prenatal pilates or yoga class. I can't wait!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 AM

I started doing Bikram yoga (hot yoga) at the beginning of the year, at least 3 times a week (some weeks 5 times). I also walk the girls to the park a couple of times a week (did i mention the park is about 1/2 a mile UPHILL) so i plan to keep up that regemie until this baby drops out.
I think we should make a workout sticky to help keep us motivated.

Ivette; DH Nick since 1997, DD Ari 12/06, DD Jojo 07/08, 05/10, #4 EDD 4/29/11.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

I love to run, but my bbs are sensitive and hurt, and it's uncomfortable. Walking isn't an issue though, so I walked two miles yesterday instead of running my usual 4.

Any runners? How are you dealing?

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

MrsM, I was just getting back into a running routine when we got our BFP, so I'm kind of putting the nix on that for now and just doing what I was pretty comfortable with pre-pregnancy. But my breasts have been a little heavier and a little bit tender lately too. What I do is wear 2 sports bras. That really keeps these bad boys strapped down and it hurts less when they are held tightly.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM

I had been a runner, really more of a jogger, before I became pregnant at the end of December (it resulted in a MC). I never really picked it back up, I do more walking and cardio machines at the gym.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

i am working out, and plan to continue until the end. i run 6-8 miles a week, lift weights 4x a week, and do 2-4 hours of aerial dance class one day a week.
i plan to keep up the dance until about 6 months, keep running as long as its not super uncomfortable (i will walk, elliptical then), and do weights until the end.

with my first pregnancy, i was doing all this exercise, but had bouts of laziness where i sat around and did nothing, and ended up doing almost nothing at the end. i also used the excuse that i could eat, eat, eat. i gained 60 lbs! at 2 weeks post-partum, i had lost 30 lbs, no effort. but it took me a little over a year to lose the other 30lbs. (i guess that's why they say gain 25-30, it just melts off.)

i am determined to only gain 25-30 this time.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post
Jaime,

I have been cranky too, especially with DH (although I think he is purposely doing stuff to tick me off LOL), and I use that to really get my butt going on the treadmill. I won't even tell you what I imagine when I'm walking or doing a kickboxing workout but suffice it to say that a lot of my crankiness has been put to good use

What yoga DVDs do you have? I need some recs since I didn't do it last time!
Great idea on the transfer of energy! I need to check on what DVD it is because it has been over 2 years since I last watched it but I did love it

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to do my Biggest Loser Bootcamp DVD tonight. I've never done it, so I'll probably just do level 1 and the warm up and cool down for a total of 30 minutes. Or maybe I'll push myself and do level 1 and 2, we'll see!

Edit: Soooooo, I did Level 1 and 2...I feel accomplished but sore! FTR, I hate pushups!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Hi gals! I want to join you too. I am actually starting out this pregnancy about 8 lbs higher than any of my other pregnancies but in the past year I have probably been my fittest. Now I just need to lose a few lbs of fat! I'm hoping the first trimester that might happen if I'm careful. I won't do anything stupid to risk the health of my baby, but I can't eat that much right now anyway so maybe I'll just drop a few lbs.

Anyway, in the past year I ran a couple of 5ks, competed in my first triathlon, and ran in a half marathon. I never thought I'd do the half marathon but it went really well! So over the winter I have really slacked off and I need to get back in the swing of things. My son wants to run in the 5k in may so he and I are doing the couch to 5k program. Partly to build his endurance and partly to retrain myself. I guess I just have to get back to a regular schedule.

so prod away at me and encourage me to bust my butt! I did 2 runs last week with my boy and I was pushing the jog stroller with 90 lbs of kids and stroller weight - that is a huge workout. I haven't really been too sick yet and I'm just pushing thru the mild nausea that I do have, so here's hoping that I can keep that up! I hear you guys about the sore boobs! My are hurting even more this week. Definately gotta use the tight sports bra!

nice to meet you all! here to a healthy, happy, and fit 9 months!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Jenny! WTG on the running last week! Keep it up! What's your goal for workouts per week through the pregnancy?

Well, I shredded again today with Jillian and DH I think I'm going to kick it up to level 2 next week, but I also want to keep this Biggest Loser Bootcamp in rotation b/c it is a good workout! And I *still* need to go get a prenatal yoga DVD. I think having some more "relaxing" workouts will be good for my BP

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 AM

I did a Wii workout yesterday, and I am going to try and continue that as much as possible, at least during the first trimester. I am going away for a month, traveling out of the country, so not during that time. Later in pregnancy I will probably do more prenatal yoga and walking. I have a prenatal yoga DVD, will have to find that. One of my goals before getting pregnant was to exercise regularly and lose a little weight but I got pregnant before that happened, oops.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

How are we all doing on our workouts ladies? This was already on page 3, so I hope that doesn't mean we all have taken a break!

I did the Shred level 2 today for the first time and it was a great workout! Hard, but doable! I love that these are 20 minute workouts. DH does this with me and we get a good sweat worked up together! I have not been treadmilling lately--mostly focusing on shred and bootcamp workouts--but I might do it again pretty soon. And I have only missed one day (Wednesday) this week! If you knew me a year ago, you'd realize what a big deal this is! In 2 weeks, I have only missed two days!!

How is everyone else doing?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM

I'm subbing so I can come back and read this. I do water aerobics 3 times a week and a zumba class once a week. I plan on continuing these with some zumba adjustments as needed. I've actually been losing weight (and I wanted to lose quite a bit more before a pregnancy but here it is anyway! ) so I plan to just continue to eat well and excercise and hopefully continue to improve my physical shape throughout the pregnancy in a safe and healthy way! I'm glad there are others!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:12 AM

This is the shameful side of my pregnancy. I need to work out, I never lost all of my 1st pregnancy weight. I seriously need a good ass kicking. I just don't have the motivation. I am so driven in all other aspects of my life and in regards to a health-conscious lifestyle. I simply need to make it a routine but it's not happening.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 AM

Ooh me! I'm definitely exercising and working out! I was working out (cardio) about 45 min/day 6 - 7 days/week, and I intend to keep that up as long as I can! It's starting to get too hot for outdoor workouts here, so I got a membership to the YMCA and am very happy with their gym and pool. I LOVE swimming so I'm glad that it is heartily recommended during pregnancy. I know that soon I am going to have to put away my rollerblades, and towards the end it will probably be more walking than jogging, but I need to be active to feel good about myself, plus, I figure I'm now in training for this very physically demanding and amazing event called labor and birth!

I am also desperate to pick up yoga again (haven't done any since we moved here 2 months ago!) and now I have that YMCA membership which includes classes, but work has prevented that so far.

The only difference I have made in my workouts is that I no longer do crunches/concentrated ab work, because already, that does NOT feel good, for whatever reason. And on the elliptical machine, I did tone it down a little bit when on the "random" program it suddenly spiked the resistance to 18

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 04-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Morning sickness has really kicked in and it is putting a cramp in my workout routine Seriously, I burp while I am working out and I am worried I will vomit. If I wait until later in the day, I have no motivation.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM

all right ladies, I haven't done much this past week but next will be better! I did do most of a boot camp video on wednesday night and that left me quite sore - but it was good. So tomorrow I will go jogging. My 8yo is doing a 5k with me in about a month so we are doing the couch to 5k program together. My plan is that we will do 3 running workouts this week and I'd like to get to the gym at least once. I will also do some kind of video, either yoga, ballet, or belly dance. so that will be 5 workouts this week.

I am also feeling pretty gross right now. I am about 14 lbs above my goal weight before this pregnancy and I'm pretty frustrated. I'm hoping that the 1 tri will produce a few lbs of loss! I know I'm growing a person but this is the heaviest I've ever been (other that within a year of being post partum) and I'm really hating it! I'm also hoping to gain alot less this time. All my other pregnancies I gained 40-50 lbs. I have lost it all each time but this time I would love to gain 25-30 so I can get to my goal weight easier after this baby.

So you all can hold me to my goals this week!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 PM

ooh! swimming! it's been raining buckets here and finally, we are having nice weather-I forgot about swimming!

I've been running, but it took so much work to finally get a BFP that any twinge in the pelvic region slows me to walking. So I guess it's jog walking and maybe swimming. My DH wanted to kill me last pregnancy for buying 10 pound weights, but I figured why not keep my arms looking great if I can't do sit ups and my usual long-distance running? So I'm back to a quick routine right before bed and using the thighmaster, which has strengthened my legs so that now yoga is much, much easier!

I'm really wanting to do pregnancy exercise classes to meet other moms, but trying to save money as well, so I may wait until later in the pregnancy.

Love this thread!!!! keep it up ladies!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Wolfmom, I know you can do it! Keep us posted this week...if we don't hear from you, I'll assume you need some encouragement!

Shell, I've been doing a lot more arm lifting myself. I think my arms are going to be nicer by the end of this pregnancy than they've been in a looooong time

AFM, I managed to get in my workout today even though DH has been gone since early afternoon. I think DS likes to watch me workout b/c he sits in the living room with me so patiently playing by himself. What an angel!! And sometimes, he tries to join me which is just too darling. Today, I did levels 1 and 2 of the Biggest Loser cardio max dvd. With warm up and cool down, it was 40 minutes, so I'm pretty happy with that. We are taking a day trip tomorrow to visit my parents, so not sure I'll get in a workout, but I may just take my babywearing backpack and go walking with my mom and DS on my back. We'll see!

Let"s have a great week ladies!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 AM

I exercised this week! (Patting myself on the back.) I went to Pilates and hit the elliptical for twenty minutes, which felt really good, and took a two-mile walk, which also felt good. Both kinda wiped me out, and I'm finding I need to set up a routine for when I return home from a workout or else I end up getting sucked into TV or something equally lame and I just end up feeling horrible. So that is my goal for this week: exercise a few more times, and keep moving when I'm done!

Sounds like lots of you are doing a great job keeping up workouts. Nicely done!! Let's make this a healthy pregnancy!

One curly engineer + One curly accountant = One curly preschooler (12/2010). Next up: 9/2014. Hoping this one sleeps, cause the first one didn't.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM

I'd like to join. I had been taking a nightly walk with the kids in tow, but the gnats have gotten so bad that we all end up getting bit really bad. Instead, I'm going to try to get on the eliptical every night for 30+ minutes. I wish I could go to the gym, but my little one screams the entire time she's in childwatch Just can't do that to her.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)

User Tag List