Lets talk prenatals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious what prenatal everybody is taking. I am taking Baby and Me made by Megafoods. I like it because it is a whole food vitamin and is made with organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs. It requires me to take 4 a day which normally I don't like but since it is free of synthetic ingredients it does not make me ill. I am VERY pleased with it. I took 3 different prenatals (Rainbow Light, New Chapter, Nature's source) with my first and did not like any of them so I'm happy to have found something that works for me so early on.

Please share what you are taking and what you have tried.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#2 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM

I'm taking walmart brand, spring valley. I like them b/c they are small. I actually stopped taking prenatals with DS at about 16 weeks (*ducking*) b/c every one I tried was like a giant horse pill and I would immediately vomit I tried 3 different brands (not sure of the exact names, but I think one was Rainbow Light maybe?)...2 from Whole Foods and 1 from Target last time. I mentioned my issues to my MWs this time around and they recommended the ones I'm currently taking. So far, no problems and the pill isn't too big so I can keep it down all 10 months!

#3 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Normally, I take Standard Process supplements. I researched whole food vitamins that I could buy locally AND were affordable, after reading the reviews, I ended up going with Nature's Way Alive Multi.

From what I understand, a true whole-food should not nauseate you like common multi-vitamins because they are easier to digest and assimilate.

ETA: With DD I was taking a multi by Pure Encapsulations, but those brought on the nausea, big time!

nak

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#4 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Rainbow Light One a Day.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#5 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM

I take Target brand because they are really easy to swallow and don't have that vitamin-y smell.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#6 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Am I the only one not taking one? I'm just taking folic acid (400mcg or mg, I forget which, per day). I also take EPA and DHA and I remineralize my water.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#7 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM

i take freeda prenatal. they are especially for vegans. they are large horse pills, but i break them in half and always take it at lunch, with food. i've found that if taken too early, or without food, they make morning sickness worse.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#8 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Whole Foods' 365 brand Prenatal 1 a day. I started taking it when DD was a newborn and never stopped and have been really happy with it. I've been in the habit of taking it at bedtime since that first pg, which often helps if you're nauseated by it (usually I believe it's the iron that triggers the nausea for most women).

Megan, wife to K, mama to C lady.gif (9/07), brokenheart.gif(4/10) brokenheart.gif(11/10)

And our rainbow is here! E babyboy.gif 10/11

#9 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I'm also not taking one. I am relying on my food (liver and fresh greens for folate) and I am also relying on my diet for my other B vitamins, as well as zinc, magnesium and iron. I am taking Omega 3's, FCLO, and vit C powder. I am going to start with a broad spectrum probiotic (bio kult). Grassfed butter for vitamin K and homemade yoghurt for calcium (also lots of techina - sesame paste).... and that is all I can think of right now.... today has been a tired day for me. :yawning

I am very nervous about getting post partum depression - so I am doing what I can to support myself nutritionally - both for baby and me.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#10 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
Am I the only one not taking one? I'm just taking folic acid (400mcg or mg, I forget which, per day). I also take EPA and DHA and I remineralize my water.
I am not taking a prenatal per se, but I am taking supplements and I do so even when not pregnant or lactating.

#11 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I'm taking Trader Joe's brand prenatals. They're huge horse pills, but I bite them in half and take them with breakfast. They're the only kind of vitamin that hasn't made given me stomach problems (even before TTC).

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#12 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm taking the Rainbow Light Complete System which is a 6 a day- I'm not going to lie, the pills are huge and taking 6 is cumbersome, but I haven't had any bad reaction to them and they came highly recommended, so I haven't even bothered looking at others. HTH!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#13 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

In 2008, Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins were found to have high levels of lead. I know it was over a year ago, but that really turned me off.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...n-vitamins.php

#14 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
In 2008, Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins were found to have high levels of lead. I know it was over a year ago, but that really turned me off.

Shyte! Now I have to find another vitamin. Every time I eat/drink/inhale/clean with something I think is safe I find out it's not!

ETA: I think I'll try this one. It doesn't have any of the herbs or enzymes that the RL had but at least it's low in LEAD! http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/...s_prenatal.htm

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#15 of 39 Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM

I haven't found one that I'm happy with. They all seem to be lacking in Magnesium. I looked into the RL once daly and also TJs and neither had enough. I'm queasy at the sight of most foods right now so I was hoping to find a good supplement.

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#16 of 39 Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM

I havent picked one either. Im just taking my usual vitamin d3 at a slightly higher dose (10,000 iu/day). I was so going to head to my local health food store, but MS hit like a rock yesterday and im really dysfunctional at this point. I'll probably order a few offline and try them all. Last time I didnt take any because I couldnt even keep water down and having that huge pill come back up a few times, I decided, no point, that hurts way too much and its not even partially dissolved! Hopefully, I will have a brief bout of MS this time and not 5 months worth! Here hoping!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#17 of 39 Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Okay, I finally got out to the store and bought some vitamins. I was going to get an official prenatal, but decided there was just too much weird stuff in them and did want to risk getting some random ingredient that was going to make me barf. So, I bought several of the O Organics ones from Safeway (vit c, folic acid, iron) and Im already on liquid d3. so, hopefully i can handle them. i took them about an hour ago and feel surprisingly good considering i was throwing up this morning and have since stopped! woohoo! even the nausea is barely noticeable! knock on wood!

#18 of 39 Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM

I too am taking the RL one a day prenatal, and feel pretty confident that it has a good amount of what I need.

I spoke to a rep at RL today about the naturally occuring lead in their vitamins and was told that they often test their vitamins to ensure that the naturally occuring lead levels found in botanical materials used are the lowest. I am not sure if all vitamins have this naturally occuring lead; I guess it depends on what foods and botanicals are used to make the vitamin. Their website states that the study found that their vitamins contained safe ane tolerable amounts of naturally occuring lead. I live in California and like using a product that is produced in our state.

Thanks for letting me know about the natural occuring lead.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#19 of 39 Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
Shyte! Now I have to find another vitamin. Every time I eat/drink/inhale/clean with something I think is safe I find out it's not!

ETA: I think I'll try this one. It doesn't have any of the herbs or enzymes that the RL had but at least it's low in LEAD! http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/...s_prenatal.htm
Shoot, I took them with my 1st pregnancy, she was born in April 08. She's fabulous! I am going back and forth between New Chapter Organic and Rainbow Light.
#20 of 39 Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 AM
CSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
I'm also not taking one. I am relying on my food (liver and fresh greens for folate) and I am also relying on my diet for my other B vitamins, as well as zinc, magnesium and iron. I am taking Omega 3's, FCLO, and vit C powder. I am going to start with a broad spectrum probiotic (bio kult). Grassfed butter for vitamin K and homemade yoghurt for calcium (also lots of techina - sesame paste).... and that is all I can think of right now.... today has been a tired day for me. :yawning

I am very nervous about getting post partum depression - so I am doing what I can to support myself nutritionally - both for baby and me.
this is what I'm trying to do too. I don't eat corn, soy or gluten so most multi vitamins are out anyway.

Connie-mom of DS 7, DD 5, DD 3, and new one coming in December
#21 of 39 Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM

I don't intend on taking a prenatal vitamin. My diet is superb (really, it is!) and I already take Calcium, B complex, Cod liver oil, C, and folic acid. I eat fish 3 times/week so I don't worry about the DHA. Mostly I'm vegetarian so I figure I get lots of vitamins that way. I also eat yogurt as my main source of dairy, so lots of probiotics there!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#22 of 39 Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM

I do Rainbow Light One a Day, Carlson's Fish Oil, and Vit D

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#23 of 39 Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Just wanted to BUMP!!! I noticed another Mommy asking, thought this might help!!!

#24 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 AM

I'm taking New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal. It's whole food based and doesn't make me sick, even on an empty stomach. It's 3 a day.

I'm also taking fish oil, COq10, Vit D, baby aspirin and extra folic acid (the last 2 for possible blood clotting issues).

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#25 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Super Moms by Beeyoutiful.com
Wow have they made a difference in my last two pregnancies! I have tons of energy, and feel great!
Plus I'm taking CLO and chlorophyll everyday.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!
#26 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 AM

Im taking CitraNatal Assure pills....so far they've agreed with my body. Its 2 pills per day (one is the multivit, the other the plant based DHA pill) and I take them at night.

Its more of a convenience for me to take these, as my midwife said I can just take samples from our office for the duration of my pregnancy!!

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#27 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 AM

I just switched over to New Chapter Wholemega and I cannot believe how soft my skin is. I don't get the fishy burps either. I am really impressed by it.

#28 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM

http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.co...rapeutics.html

I take those. They are a 6 a day regimen. Lots of our vitamins are water soluble and peed out throughout the day. Those need to be replenished. I feel awesome though.

I don't feel like the prescription ones fully dissolve in your gut thus not giving you the full benefit of them. I have read that the people that wash out port a johns have a hard time scrubbing out the undissolved pills people take.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#29 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for bumping
#30 of 39 Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post

oh, man! i wish I hadn't read that

I take the once daily ones. Guess I gotta go shopping.

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page