*gulp* Twins? Who else! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know there's at least one other mama, so I figured it was time for a twins thread.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have confirmed twins? Congratulations!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 41 Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM

woohoo!!! congrats!

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
#4 of 41 Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

How wonderful and exciting for you!
#5 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 AM

ahhh!!! That is sooo exciting!!!! woohoo!!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#6 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM

I know it's not me! But a HUGE congrats Annette !!

#7 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Annette: I hope you are getting over the intial shock. I've had a week to adjust... plus there was 33% if we were pregnant that we would have twins because we did IVF. This will be my first so I have a lot to learn but maybe you'll know a bit better what to expect because you have other children.

I'd love to know what people think I need to think about with twins. Thanks!

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#8 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Wow congrats!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#9 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTC#1 View Post
Annette: I hope you are getting over the intial shock. I've had a week to adjust... plus there was 33% if we were pregnant that we would have twins because we did IVF. This will be my first so I have a lot to learn but maybe you'll know a bit better what to expect because you have other children.

I'd love to know what people think I need to think about with twins. Thanks!
I am not over the shock at all. I woke up this morning and everything was normal for about five seconds and then it was as if someone hit me over the head with a ginormous TWINS brick, LOL! How about you? How long have you known?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Yikes! Congratulations! I have to admit that twins are hugely exciting and my worst fear all wrapped into one. I don't have any idea how I would handle nursing and sleeping with and carrying two babies at once, but I'm sure it's just one of those things that you figure out with experience.

I guess you must have had an ultrasound to find out. Can they tell at this stage if they're in one sac or two or whatever else they look at while still in utero to tell if they're fraternal or identical?

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#11 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mine are in two very distinct sacs, and the more I research, the happier I am. So our babies are definitely fraternal.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rie/Twins1.jpg

#12 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM

We found out last Wednesday at the ultrasound (6w 5d). DH was convinced all along it was twins so he probably would have been in shock if it was a singleton.

We could see 2 completely separate sacs each with own placenta. We saw the heartbeats flickering. Both measure identical in size with the same heartbeat-138.

I was in a bit of shock for a while and still find it hard to believe there are two. But maybe that explains why I need to eat every 2 hours or I feel nauseous. This is my first pregnancy so I'm wondering how early I will show... some of my pants are too tight already but I don't think it is obvious to other people.

I am really tired but the doctor said that should pass after the first trimester. I am trying to take it somewhat easy and avoid things like heavy lifting but really at this point it's just business as usual.

#13 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Nice photo. I've always thought that it would be fun to have either identical twins or boy-girl twins. I think same-sex fraternal (or identical, but identical is just so cool) would be prone to competition issues. (As an aside, I have neighbors who had two boys and then got pregnant with their third, which turned out to be their third, fourth and fifth boys! Two of them are identical and one is fraternal. Wacky, huh?)

Every time I get pregnant I have dreams that I am pregnant with twins and only breathe easy once I've had an ultrasound, which I generally don't do for a while. So out of curiosity, is this pregnancy different for you in any way? Are you sicker or more tired or anything like that?

I don't mean to sound negative about your twins -- sorry. It's just an anxiety-provoking issue for me!

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#14 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

My doc was a little more overcautious, but that might be (a) because I'm an old lady (37, LOL!), (b) I just had two miscarriages, one at the end of July and one in October and (c) I am a bit of an overachiever-- 4 kids I'm homeschooling, 4 children's choirs I conduct, I teach a co-op class, I'm a LLL leader... there's probably more. So I'm going to really need to scale back.

So you're having fraternal twins too! Yay!

#15 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Maybe that's just his way of saying that you need to listen to your body and do things that are within your limits based on how you are feeling. My doctor did talk about the fact prematurity is common with twins and that bedrest may come into play later on but it really varies from person to person.

#16 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM

DDCC! Congrats! We found out we were having twins at the end of December, but didn't start to enjoy the news for almost 2 months! It took that long for the shock to start to fade LOL! Something I found out that I didn't know before is that even tho my girls are in seperate sacks w/ their own placentas they could still be identical! The only way to know for sure will be either how they look, or a DNA test. Identicals having their own sacks and placentas depends on at what point the egg seperated.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#17 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 PM

I am not having twins (well, at least I don't think I am) but I am fraternal twin and so are my older brother and sister. Yes, my Mom had two sets!

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#18 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Mine are in two very distinct sacs, and the more I research, the happier I am. So our babies are definitely fraternal.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...rie/Twins1.jpg
i got teary looking at your sono! so wonderful!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#19 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM

I am pregnant with twins again lol I am a surrogate so I just have to carry them, congrats!

I would be terrified if these were my boys, My second set of twins in 3 years to carry.

Get lots of rest mama!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#20 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

I saw your post on the multiples board- Congratulations! I'm due in Nov (11/27) and also started lurking over there. We found out about 2 weeks ago that I'm carrying twins (monochorionic/diamniotic). Biggest surprise of my life! Even though I was looking right at two obvious heartbeats on the screen, my brain simply could not process the information!
#21 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM

I wanted to say congrats!

I have an ultrasound next week or the following week. Won't know exactly when until friday.

Anyways... I'm guessing twins this time around. Just a huge suspicion of it. I've had numerous dreams about it, other things as well. My dd was a twin... (vanishing twin syndrome) so there is always that possibility! I also am fairly certain I O'd twice but a day apart.. my chart looks goofy and I felt two distinguish O pains. so we'll see! I'll be surprised if there is just a singleton... but who knows.

Mama to a zoo!
#22 of 41 Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 PM

wow, congratulations - i can't imagine!! our first sono is next wed and i'd be shocked if there's more than one heartbeat...

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#23 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 04:14 PM

Add me to the list!! I just found out today!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/DSC_0349.jpg

lol i knew it.. yet I am still quite shocked. I actually had myself convinced last night it ws just one... um nope!

Mama to a zoo!
#24 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Amanda! Congratulations.

#25 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Congrats to the twin-mums!
I gotta say, twins are awesome.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#26 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM

TURNQUIA: Congrats! Glad to have another twin mom here!
I guess your intuition was correct!!

#27 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
TURNQUIA: Congrats! Glad to have another twin mom here!
I guess your intuition was correct!!
Yup lol. Still suprised i was right.

Mama to a zoo!
#28 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnquia View Post
Yup lol. Still suprised i was right.
LOL! I wrote on my blog (link in my signature) about how I willed my twins into existence. I still don't quite believe it.

#29 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
We found out last Wednesday at the ultrasound (6w 5d). DH was convinced all along it was twins so he probably would have been in shock if it was a singleton.

We could see 2 completely separate sacs each with own placenta. We saw the heartbeats flickering. Both measure identical in size with the same heartbeat-138.

I was in a bit of shock for a while and still find it hard to believe there are two. But maybe that explains why I need to eat every 2 hours or I feel nauseous. This is my first pregnancy so I'm wondering how early I will show... some of my pants are too tight already but I don't think it is obvious to other people.

I am really tired but the doctor said that should pass after the first trimester. I am trying to take it somewhat easy and avoid things like heavy lifting but really at this point it's just business as usual.
KellyTTC#1, Congrats!!! We just got news at our first US that we're having twins, too! We went through IVF also. We are so esctatic, we've been TTC naturally for 4 yrs and finally got up the nerve to start our 1st IVF cycle. We had one prior ectopic, but this is my first pregnancy. Today I'm 6w2d and had my first bout of morning sickness. Usually I HAVE to eat every 3 hours or I get a wave of nausea. My pants don't button anymore and I live in sweat pants and leggings when I'm not at work. I'm sleepy all the time and take a daily nap at 2pm We're due 12/19/10 & are thrilled!!

I can't wait until our next US next Monday we'll be able to see the heartbeats at that time.

***4***8***12***16***20******28***32***36***40
#30 of 41 Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM

congrats to all the dec twin moms! I still have 3 weeks until my first midwife visit and don't plan on having an ultrasound until 20 wks (if then), but I hope I won't be joining you ladies in twinland! I am happy to be pregnant but I never wanted twins and I think it would be really hard right now with my other 3 kidlets (kudos to you annettemarie!) That being said-i'm sure that if this one is two, I will totally get into it and have some fun. It's just not my first choice.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page