Anybody not so sure about close to holiday baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a New Year's Eve baby, and it was a mixed bag growing up. I'm not sure I'm loving this middle of December due date thing. It's going to be a crazy holiday season this year, and all the ones after. I'm hoping I'm early, like last time (38 weeks), to take some of the pressure off.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#2 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post
I am a New Year's Eve baby, and it was a mixed bag growing up. I'm not sure I'm loving this middle of December due date thing. It's going to be a crazy holiday season this year, and all the ones after. I'm hoping I'm early, like last time (38 weeks), to take some of the pressure off.
Im a Dec 14th baby myself and I agree... and mine is a decent distance from christmas... DH's friend is Dec 24, which sucks, because no one ever goes to his party...

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#3 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 AM

I am crossing my legs until January, hubby's is Dec 26th and I am due the 27th and he had HIS OWN MOTHER forget his birthday one year when he was a kid. January, January, January!!

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#4 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 AM

Yeah, the holiday season is busy for my family. My brother's birthday is Dec. 16 (same as my due date!), then comes Christmas and New Year's, then my mom's birthday is Jan. 9 and my dad's is Jan. 19th. It's already crazy enough as it is! And yeah, my brother gets the shaft on his birthday every year, so I hope that doesn't happen to this baby too!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#5 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM

I'm so glad you said this! Dh and I have been trying for 9 months and I decided that I would be fine with it if nothing happened this month because then we would avoid the holidays. And wouldn't you know, my guessdate it 12/20. I've actually been thinking about coming up with an alternate celebration day so the poor kid doesn't get shafted.
#6 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Sort of. Dh has a lot of apprehension about it, but I just feel like it will be our job as a family to make our little one's birthday special irregardless.
I'm more worried at this point about being able to celebrate Christmas with our dd this year, as it is possible we won't even be home with her for Christmas since my due date is 12/23 or 24.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#7 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 AM

This will be my third born in December . One is the 2nd, the other is the 28th. I'm due on the 9-10th or so. It's already a crazy month, but we make sure to have separate parties for the kids, since I don't want it to be combined with Christmas. The other kids get separate parties, and so it's only fair my December kids do too.

#8 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Not a big deal to me. My DS2 was born on Halloween, and DS1 the day before Thanksgiving. So, we're used to holiday birthdays

My DH is actually MLK's BD (Jan 15) and mine right around Memorial Day (May 28th)

I'm due 12/6- so this babe would be the furthest from a holiday in our family

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05
#9 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm really excited about a holiday baby. Talk about the best gift ever...

We'll throw him/her birthday parties before all the holiday chaos kicks in. My parents used to take us on trips over the holiday break from school; hopefully DH and I will be able to keep that tradition with this little one!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#10 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM

My dad's birthday is Dec 17, my best friend's is Dec 18, and DH's dad's is Dec 19! My EDD is Dec 19.

I really hope it doesn't edge any closer to Christmas, but I also hope baby stays put till about the EDD, because I have finals for grad school!

We always celebrated dad's birthday on the 17th and made it special. Then we'd leave the "happy birthday" signs up for Jesus' birthday on Christmas!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#11 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

I've already gotten a couple of comments about combining birthday and holiday gifts for the baby...no fair! We will have to make an effort to make sure this one's b-day is special every year.
#12 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM

My birthday is Dec 15 and that's what I'm calling my EDD. It's really supposed to be Dec 8, but being my first, I'm going to just call it my birthday.

I didn't mind my birthday growing up. I never had much in the way of parties, but neither did the rest of my brothers and sister, so we were fine.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#13 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM

I have been thinking about this a lot, we started TTC when the due date would have been spring, but of course it didn't go as planned and months passed...I was like LillianB, once you're trying and nothing is happening, you just figure you'll keep trying and nothing will happen and this time we weren't hoping too much and voila! My EDD is December 17th but I went early with DD by 5 days and my cycles seem to be around 25 days so I am hoping this one will be early too...I imagine we'll do a party the first week of December to avoid the holidays and hopefully kids will come...? I have always felt bad for friends whose birthdays fall during the holidays, but what can you do?

As DD says, "you get what you get and you don't get upset" (she learned that gem at school)

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#14 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM

My last baby was a Dec 2008 baby. The nice thing we've found is that people don't want to buy twice in a month, so we have received a lot of cash in lieu of gifts, which is great. She has too much stuff anyways! She was due Dec 7, born Dec 14. This one is due Dec 18. Honestly, with birthdays so close and Christmas thrown in there, they'll get stuck with early joint birthday parties. Each can have a special day on their actual birthdays but I'm not throwing 2 bday parties in December!
#15 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM

To me, the most important part of the holidays is family and adding to the family at that time just makes it that much more special

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#16 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM

my 2nd DS is 12/21 and my DH is 1/7...and of course I think I'll be due 12/26 or so. Nothing like packing them all in close!

I actually don't mind so much having the one so close to Christmas. I do have to try really hard to make sure we have a birthday celebration separate from the holiday stuff, but he's still only 2 so we haven't had a problem yet.

I hope this one's not born on his birthday, though, that would be too much for me!

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
#17 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm also a New Year's Eve baby. I thought for years that the New's Year Parade was in honor of me. I have thought many times about just changing my birthday to sometime in June after Father's Day. I might do that for this one since s/he's due on Christmas!
#18 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Due on 12/15/10 but delivered DD @ 38 weeks so I am hoping for the same scenario. I hear mixed things about the 2nd in terms of EDD.
#19 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM

My birthday's Jan 2nd, and my sis is Dec 19th, so we're both about 1 week on either side of Christmas. She definitely got a more 'separate-from-Christmas' birthday parties, because often school was still in session, and people weren't off visiting family yet. Jan 2nd was harder, because people were tired of celebrating after all the holidays, and Christmas break was usually still going on. Hope for earlier-in-Dec babies

That said, we both make a "Christmas/birthday" list, and would get some gifts for each. It was particularly annoying for both of us when a birthday gift would come wrapped in Christmas paper, but it happens every year.

I'm so hoping to join you ladies- I'm hopeful, and testing tomorrow at 13DPO, which would give me an EDD of 12/30/10!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#20 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM

You know what were all forgetting!!!

What an awesome tax deduction december babies are! They are born right at the end of the year... so you barely spend money on them. But you still get to deduct them as if they were there the whole year. haha.

thats what my lovely accountant husband keeps telling me. haha.

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#21 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM

My birthday is Dec 28th and my EDD is Dec 21 so odds are good that it will be anytime between Christmas and New Year's. It does kind of suck, I often wished for a summer birthday as a child and honestly, I was hoping for a sring birthday for this baby. But, they decided to join us now so I'm sure it will be great!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#22 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM

My birthday's Dec 3rd. My aunts are Dec 2nd and Dec 4th. A cousin is Dec 20th. My Dad is Dec 22nd.

My EDD is Dec 21st.

Part of me feels a little bad. I know my Dad has always had people merge his birthday into Christmas and it always irked him (even though he's not really one for presents). Given I have a December birthday too, I'm always careful to get people I know with December birthdays two separate gifts (and NEVER wrap them in Christmas paper!!).

But I also love my December birthday. For years I've pretended all the decorations everywhere were secretly for me, and I love that it feels like you're celebrating the whole month of your birthday.

The only other part that really sucked was in college my first-week-of-December birthday ALWAYS fell the week before or the week of final exams. That was miserable. Once I bought myself very expensive tickets to an Indigo Girls concert for the night of my birthday. At the last minute I had to bail on it because I had a final paper due the next day that wasn't finished.

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#23 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebegim View Post

What an awesome tax deduction december babies are! They are born right at the end of the year... so you barely spend money on them. But you still get to deduct them as if they were there the whole year. haha.

#24 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 PM

for us, early december is perfect timing. my husband is a farmer and during the growing season, EVERYTHING comes second to the crop. harvest is october, which gives him plenty of time to get things buttoned up for winter. then baby will come and i will have his help for several months!

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#25 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM

This will be the closest to a holiday baby for us, although our first was due on the fourth of july, he was born on the 14th. Our third was born nov. 29th but she'll never have a t-day birthday. This little one is due on christmas eve!!! My last two were a few days early, which is basically on time, so I can't figure which is better, just before christmas or just after.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#26 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our first was born on December 22. That was her due date, but I totally anticipated a January birth. I had set the 22nd as a cutoff though - she either had to be born by then or wait until the 27th! We had been ttc for three years, so, like others had mentioned, we didn't really think it was going to work that month! This time, we anticipated another long process, and were shocked when I got pregnant on the first, "warm up" try.
This year, on her first birthday, my own sister forgot to send a card or anything for dd. Not that dd cared, but I was a little hurt. It's not the gift, it's just the remembering, and I think people are more likely to forget in the bustle of Christmas holidays.
This kiddo is due on the 24th. I just have my fingers crossed that he/she will be born before the 22nd or after boxing day. It's sort of out of our hands though!
We do plan to do half-birthday celebrations though, starting this coming July for dd. We're going to do something special with a few friends, have half of a cake, and whatever othe "half" themed things I can come up with. We don't really plan on gifts from other people, but will probably make something simple (I'm thinking a tutu) and otherwise just make it a special Maren day.
Hopefully it'll all work out.
The important thing is that they're here, in the end.

Is anyone planning holiday themed names? Noel, Holly, etc

For greater things are yet to come...

#27 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesoup View Post
The only other part that really sucked was in college my first-week-of-December birthday ALWAYS fell the week before or the week of final exams. That was miserable. Once I bought myself very expensive tickets to an Indigo Girls concert for the night of my birthday. At the last minute I had to bail on it because I had a final paper due the next day that wasn't finished.
Oh my April birthday always fell right at final exams in university, I feel your pain!! It was great up until then, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersmama View Post
for us, early december is perfect timing. my husband is a farmer and during the growing season, EVERYTHING comes second to the crop. harvest is october, which gives him plenty of time to get things buttoned up for winter. then baby will come and i will have his help for several months!
This sounds ideal for you!! Amazing how the universe works it all out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebegim View Post

You'll have to get him to write up a little thread with tips at some point closer to the end of the year, we are bad with money so any clues about how to benefit would be so great!!

For me, a December baby is good because I realized that a Sagittarius is very compatible with our signs (Aries, Leo and DD Aries) so that makes me happy, even if it is more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than anything, I do believe in zodiac compatibility to some degree.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#28 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM

#4 is due 12/12. My twin nieces are the 14th. My oldest is the 15th. SIL is the 22nd. Nephew is the 26th. And can't forget my English Mastiff is the 27th. We always get together and have a big celebration. We are going to have to have smaller font on the cake to fit all the names this year. My kid also have his own b-day party. He wants the baby on his birthday (he is 18). But no chance, it we be a scheduled c-section way before the 15th.

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

#29 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
The important thing is that they're here, in the end.

Is anyone planning holiday themed names? Noel, Holly, etc
ITA with the first sentiment. As for the second, I am considering saddling the lil monkey with the middle name Winter, just for fun. It would be cute for a girl, don't you think?

#30 of 63 Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
ITA with the first sentiment. As for the second, I am considering saddling the lil monkey with the middle name Winter, just for fun. It would be cute for a girl, don't you think?
My name is Summer. Hated it as a kid. "Summertime" "Fall. Winter, Spring" it got old. Now I love it. I defiantly think Winter as a middle name is very cute!

I don't think I'll do it....the joke WOULD never end!

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page