DD getting suspicious? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD looked at me this morning and said, "Mommy, you belly looks chubby!" and she squeezed it. She just kept looking at me and my belly, I so wanted to tell her about being pregnant, but I think it's best to wait for a little while...anyway, my belly IS chubby, baby or not, it's just fat at this point . I don't think she's catching on, although she has asked random people with a little chubs in the belly area if they have a baby in their belly (not embarrassing at all when they're NOT ) so I may get the question sooner rather than later...

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM

That's so cute! I'd just wait til she asks point blank if you are, then tell her the truth.

#3 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

My DD has been acting weird ever since we a week before the positive test. she wants to snuggle constantly, keeps telling me she loves me, spends a few hours away from me and tells me "i missed you today." we're telling her that were working on a baby sister or brother for her, but not that there is one in my tummy. we wouldnt know how to tell her that there wasnt one anymore. plus, she would tell everyone if we told her that. shes a talker. she did say, "theres a baby in your tummy," a few days ago. and i just said, "really?" and changed the subject. shes still so young i can easily pull it off. besides, she doesnt know how long it takes for babies to grow... so if anything happens... mommy and daddy are still "working on it." hehe.

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#4 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM

ddcc.....

I had one of my sons tell me (Longggg before we let the beans spill) "you know mommy's get sick when they have babies in their bellies" DH and I just looked at each other I had started to be sick but had been rather "secretive" about it because my kids are freaked out about vomiting..apparantly I was not too good at it.
#5 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM

DD asked me this morning...mum why do you keep touching your stomach?

Then later said...I feel like you guys are keeping a secret from me.

It's not going to be long before she finds out...try to keep a secret from the most intuitive 6yo in the world...hA!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#6 of 21 Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 PM

My daughter is 4 1/2 and she looooooves babies, so I'm wondering how long it will take before she figures it out...

We are planning to wait as long as possible before telling her the news, since she finds it hard to wait for something happening tomorrow, let along months from now!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#7 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

The plot thickens, this morning DD informed DH while brushing their teeth that his cup is for the grownups and her cup is for "me and my little sister". Then she said, "Did you know daddy, me and mommy are having a baby...and you too, daddy." Now, we have discussed the idea of babies in general and having one has obviously come up from time to time, but she seemed pretty definite with DH this morning. So cute!! And I like the gender prediction, too.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#8 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Holy cow, that is so awesome Qbear! Kids have an intuition, so maybe she's right on the gender.

#9 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM

I use to teach preschool and I don't know how many times a little would teltheir mommy is having a baby. I would the mommy and her respose would be "yeah right" or "uhhh no!" and sure enough month or two would go by and mom would say "you will never guess what". CRAZY!

My17 month old has become very clingy(more than usual). She knows!!

They also say when a baby stands on its head someone in its life is pregnant. The women swear on it. Old Wives tale

~Summer~ Married DH Chris Mom to DS  Brendan (12/91)  Jenna DD (6/97) and Ava DD(10/08)  and adding #4 12/2   stork-boy.gif

#10 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Qbear, that is awesome!

Literally while I was posting my comment on the subject, my DD walked over to me, Im not talking at all and she said, "theres a baby in your tummy." I was like, "uhhh..." Then she just smiled and walked away. We hadnt talked about babies AT ALL yesterday. and like I said, we never talk about a baby being in my tummy... just being a big sister, or having a baby sister or brother one day. I was so shocked with her comment. My little psychic 4 year old. totally bizarre.

why i am not telling her again? she clearly knows. and all she wants to do is cuddle with me. like she knows soon there wont be time for that... poor baby.

#11 of 21 Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebegim View Post
we never talk about a baby being in my tummy... just being a big sister, or having a baby sister or brother one day. I was so shocked with her comment. My little psychic 4 year old. totally bizarre.

why i am not telling her again? she clearly knows. and all she wants to do is cuddle with me. like she knows soon there wont be time for that... poor baby.
Exactly, we talked about it as a general idea. 4 year olds appear to be a little psychic about these things...Also, your last comment, I know , my poor honey won't be an only anymore, it does make me kind of sad for her, but she loves babies too and will LOVE being a big sister, I think. I will tell her as soon as I can.

#12 of 21 Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Qbear, that is awesome!

Literally while I was posting my comment on the subject, my DD walked over to me, Im not talking at all and she said, "theres a baby in your tummy." I was like, "uhhh..." Then she just smiled and walked away. We hadnt talked about babies AT ALL yesterday. and like I said, we never talk about a baby being in my tummy... just being a big sister, or having a baby sister or brother one day. I was so shocked with her comment. My little psychic 4 year old. totally bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Exactly, we talked about it as a general idea. 4 year olds appear to be a little psychic about these things...Also, your last comment, I know , my poor honey won't be an only anymore, it does make me kind of sad for her, but she loves babies too and will LOVE being a big sister, I think. I will tell her as soon as I can.
You ladies should not worry, or be sad. A sibling is the best gift you can give a child, and even if there's tough times at first, it will all work out. There will still be time for cuddles with your first, it's not like you're abandoning them forever.

I think it was the hardest going from 1 to 2 kids, just til you get in the groove of juggling everyone's needs. Any kids after that is easy, since you become the queen of multi-tasking .

#13 of 21 Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Yesterday when I got out of the shower, dd, who is 2, pointed to my belly and said, "Mama, baby!"

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#14 of 21 Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
You ladies should not worry, or be sad. A sibling is the best gift you can give a child, and even if there's tough times at first, it will all work out. There will still be time for cuddles with your first, it's not like you're abandoning them forever.

I think it was the hardest going from 1 to 2 kids, just til you get in the groove of juggling everyone's needs. Any kids after that is easy, since you become the queen of multi-tasking .
I believe you, super-mama!! But you do get a little emotional thinking about how much life will change for your only baby. But I am thrilled to be giving her a sibling and I know she will be super happy to have one.

We seem to have a gang of psychics on our hands, splath!

#15 of 21 Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM

My kids are 100% oblivious. You'd think processed foods and TV in the house would send huge red flags that something is up.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#16 of 21 Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I believe you, super-mama!! But you do get a little emotional thinking about how much life will change for your only baby. But I am thrilled to be giving her a sibling and I know she will be super happy to have one.

We seem to have a gang of psychics on our hands, splath!
I feel soooo horrible about having another baby!!!! I feel like, I totally suck at this job as it is, and why the he** would I want to take MORE time away from my poor DD. She already begs me most of the day to play with her and I really just cant. Or dont want too. And now, I will literally not be able too. Plus, I mean, she is so sweet, why would I make her feel like she isnt important anymore? Its really so mean. I guess because she has been my whole world for so long, since before she was ever born, I feel like a major traitor for having another baby.

By this time in my pregnancy with DD I was already talking to her constantly, telling her how much I loved her and talking about all the fun things we would do together... I cant attach at all to this baby yet. I felt like I knew DD immediately, but I have no idea who is swimming around in there now. I am really one of those moms who is wondering, how can I possibly love another baby as much as my first?

AND, Im pissed I didnt have another sooner, so DD could have a playmate... instead of a way younger siblings who will undoubtedly annoy the crap out of her like my sister did to me! "Include your sister, Lauren!!" "But shes a baby!! And my friends are here..." "I dont care, give her a part and include her." UGH! I hated her because she was so much younger than me and I still always had to play with her! And now Im doing the exact same thing to my poor DD (

pregnancy hormones are clearly killing me....

#17 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Bebegim, I don't feel horrible about it, I just feel like I did when I weaned DD: sorry this might be hard for you, but it is part of life and I love you and will make it as good for you as possible. But there is a big difference: with weaning she was losing something as a part of growing up. Now, she is losing one thing but gaining a lot, too.

I feel very positive about DD having a sibling and I think this positivity will impact her feelings about it. If you have a "OMG I feel so bad for you" attitude, she may pick up on it and adopt that attitude: "poor me, this is terrible, how could they do this to me?" Believe me, my DD is the centre of our universe but she is excited to have a new little one to care for and to join our little club. I am sure it will have its hard moments, but my moments of feeling bad for her are outweighed by my thoughts about how great it will be. I don't want her to be self-absorbed and think everything we do should be about her and she will learn that when there is a baby to care for. And a new person in our family to love! Sometimes I think she feels like "don't you people have something else to do? " because we are all over her all the time, so having another recipient of our affection may be a bit of a relief for her!!!

As for sucking at the mom job, well I think we are all hard on ourselves but I try to remember that I am doing the best I can and am always trying to improve and well, I don't think I suck that bad and I'm sure you don't, either. Of course you'll be able to play with her! People always tell me that the second one is along for the ride while you do regular life with the first one. It's not like the first time where it's all about the baby, when you already have a little one, #2 has to adapt to what's going on, not vice versa (am I right, people with more than one kid?? ) I mean, I am planning on wearing the baby as we hustle off to DD's ballet, music, school runs, etc. I think it is vitally important that DD NOT feel like life has come to a screeching halt because now we have a baby; that would definitely foster resentment. So that's what I'm thinkin'. Go easy on yourself, mama!!!

#18 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I feel soooo horrible about having another baby!!!! I feel like, I totally suck at this job as it is, and why the he** would I want to take MORE time away from my poor DD. She already begs me most of the day to play with her and I really just cant. Or dont want too. And now, I will literally not be able too. Plus, I mean, she is so sweet, why would I make her feel like she isnt important anymore? Its really so mean. I guess because she has been my whole world for so long, since before she was ever born, I feel like a major traitor for having another baby.

By this time in my pregnancy with DD I was already talking to her constantly, telling her how much I loved her and talking about all the fun things we would do together... I cant attach at all to this baby yet. I felt like I knew DD immediately, but I have no idea who is swimming around in there now. I am really one of those moms who is wondering, how can I possibly love another baby as much as my first?

AND, Im pissed I didnt have another sooner, so DD could have a playmate... instead of a way younger siblings who will undoubtedly annoy the crap out of her like my sister did to me! "Include your sister, Lauren!!" "But shes a baby!! And my friends are here..." "I dont care, give her a part and include her." UGH! I hated her because she was so much younger than me and I still always had to play with her! And now Im doing the exact same thing to my poor DD (

Yes, blame the hormones! I know I'm never good about playing with my kids, especially when they're little. Now that they're older, I LOVE the board games & card games we play together.

My youngest will be nearly 4 when this one is born; not something I wanted, I wanted them closer, and think the 2 yr spacing is ideal for us. It didn't work out that way, unfortunately . I had the same gap between #2 & #3, and everything is OK now.

Quote:
Bebegim, I don't feel horrible about it, I just feel like I did when I weaned DD: sorry this might be hard for you, but it is part of life and I love you and will make it as good for you as possible. But there is a big difference: with weaning she was losing something as a part of growing up. Now, she is losing one thing but gaining a lot, too.

I feel very positive about DD having a sibling and I think this positivity will impact her feelings about it. If you have a "OMG I feel so bad for you" attitude, she may pick up on it and adopt that attitude: "poor me, this is terrible, how could they do this to me?" Believe me, my DD is the centre of our universe but she is excited to have a new little one to care for and to join our little club. I am sure it will have its hard moments, but my moments of feeling bad for her are outweighed by my thoughts about how great it will be. I don't want her to be self-absorbed and think everything we do should be about her and she will learn that when there is a baby to care for. And a new person in our family to love! Sometimes I think she feels like "don't you people have something else to do? " because we are all over her all the time, so having another recipient of our affection may be a bit of a relief for her!!!

As for sucking at the mom job, well I think we are all hard on ourselves but I try to remember that I am doing the best I can and am always trying to improve and well, I don't think I suck that bad and I'm sure you don't, either. Of course you'll be able to play with her! People always tell me that the second one is along for the ride while you do regular life with the first one. It's not like the first time where it's all about the baby, when you already have a little one, #2 has to adapt to what's going on, not vice versa (am I right, people with more than one kid?? ) I mean, I am planning on wearing the baby as we hustle off to DD's ballet, music, school runs, etc. I think it is vitally important that DD NOT feel like life has come to a screeching halt because now we have a baby; that would definitely foster resentment. So that's what I'm thinkin'. Go easy on yourself, mama!!!
You're right, mama! The baby just fits right into the chaos already going on . Kids are very adaptable, and just go with the flow.

#19 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM

aw, thanks you guys! Sometimes these hormones are so overwhelming!!! Today I feel way better. DD is so obsessed with babies right now. All she can talk about is helping with her "two babies." (she still thinks that shes going to get both a sister and a brother, not either or). I'm trying to stay really positive to DD about being a big sibling. But i seem to fall apart at night when shes asleep

Im glad Im not the only one whose not a huge fan of three hour long games of animals and princesses. I feel so guilty when she asks me to play with her and I'd rather do the dishes...

oh well, I guess its not too bad. Night time makes everything seem worse!!

#20 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM

I want to give you a big Lauren! Everything seems worse at night, and especially at night when pregnant!

#21 of 21 Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I think that is a common feeling with a second pregnancy. I got depressed with #2 pregnancy, feeling bad about not being able to have it be just me and child #1. And I didn't feel attatched to the baby in the womb until I almost lost him at 12 weeks when I started to bleed. But, once baby was born, things fell together and it was so much easier to parent... especially when they began interacting iwth eachother... and especially when driving in the car. If you can have a positive attitude that rubs off on your dd, I think she can have a good relationship with her younger sibling. My sisters and I were 7 years apart, and I was the middle girl. We were all very close, and have gotten more so as we grew up. It can be a good thing!

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to six handsome and fun boys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page