Nervous/Unsure - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm due December 3. I've known I've been pregnant know for 4 weeks. The first 2 weeks I FELT pregnant. I couldn't wear necklaces cause they made me gag - I had daylight sickness, I was VERY bloated, etc.
For the last 2 weeks I've felt totally normal, aka not-pregnant. Last weekend I POS and got a bright pink line pretty quickly - made me feel better. But this last week again with NO symptoms I can't help but think - is everything okay?

My first 2 pregnancies I was sick and KNEW I was pregnant. I've known too many people who's first sign of M/C was the morning sickness ended

How normal is it to have morning sickness then nothing. I am only 8 weeks so there is time to get sick but I rather be sick now and KNOW I'm pregnant.

Can the baby have stopped growing and a M/C is on the way? If so, would I still test positive on a test?

Just wondering if this has happened to others... the not knowing is driving me nuts.

TIA

Kara
DH love.gif, DS 13y Peace.gif, DS 9½y winky.gif, SDD 9y shy.gif, baby Oliver babyboy.gif 4/9/2013!
#2 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There's a HUGE variation on normal! I totally understand what you're saying - I feel pretty unpregnant too. I mean, I'm tired, but what parent of a toddler isn't?! My nipples are a bit sore, but dd is teething, still nursing and doing weird things with her latch. I guess I'm just trying to say that when symptoms aren't of the vomitting 10x a day sort, it's so easy to explain them away and worry that things aren't "more".
Are you able to get in for blood draws every now and then? Seeing that beta do its thing would put your mind at ease relatively easily.
I'm sorry you're worried. It probably doesn't help to know that you're not alone in your worry, but you aren't. Ah, motherhood. I remember thinking, when I was pregnant with dd, that I would be able to stop worrying once she was born. Ha! I think it's just part of the job description, as you well know, I'm sure. Hang in there.

ps- If your babe has stopped growing, and the pregnancy is at an end, you will still test positive until the hcg clears your system. Not super helpful, I know. If you continue to get fast, strong, clear positives though (instead of having them be slower, fainter, etc), chances are you can take that as a good sign.

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM

I'm sorry you're so worried! It is within the realm of normal, but you are right that it is a sign for some of a m/c. Depending on your care preferences, you could ask for HCG draws or an ultrasound or you could just wait and see. You will test positive on a HPT for quite a while after a m/c so that isn't a great gage right now. I hope you get some answers or a sense of peace.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#4 of 14 Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies ladies.

I have insurance - selfpay - but it doesn't cover maternity for another year so I'm 100% on my own.

I should have mentioned this is my first post but I was in a hurry -
I did go in Friday and Dr. said my cervix is closed and my uterus feels 7-8 weeks. They took blood for hcg levels and I'll go back tomorrow for a comparison.

Also, my nipples are still tender but just slightly. If the pregnancy is sticking then this is wonderful... but it just doesn't FEEL wonderful. *sigh*
Anyway, I appreciate your posts and I'll update tomorrow.

Kara
DH love.gif, DS 13y Peace.gif, DS 9½y winky.gif, SDD 9y shy.gif, baby Oliver babyboy.gif 4/9/2013!
#5 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 AM

Hi Kara,

I send hugs your way because I feel the same way. My symptoms on this pregnancy are different from DD. My rationale is that it's a boy. I didn't POAS this weekend but I am so tempted so I can get that confirmation from a quick pregnancy result or not. I don't have my 1st appointment until 5/11, after Mother's day. Greaat! I tried to get in earlier but the CNM reminded me that even if it looks good, I still have a 15% MC chance until the 12 wk point is passed. It consumes my mind, I am trying to think more positively. I picked up Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery last night and it helped. I should read it nightly. Sending you positive vibes!
#6 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 AM

SO sorry you're having this stress! I find it ironic that even in pregnancy we have the "grass is always greener" syndrome. I am trying very hard NOT to let my pregnancy or symptoms show at work! LOL! Today, because of either excessive early pregnancy nose sniffles (or I'm simply getting a head cold) I was coughing so much at work I had to run off to the bathroom. My work environment is such that I can't just sneak off to the bathroom and no one will notice. Someone has to take over my position while I'm gone... so, subtle is out!
I was coughing and feeling REALLY pukey.... argh!
Not to mention every time I bend down I feel super lightheaded and I though I was going to pass out friday night! I've NEVER been this faint during a pregnancy before! THis is #5 and I'm trying not to get depressed about feeling so OLD this time! I will be 38 in Sept. Fortunately, probably due to being used to being up all night with labors, I am used to holding it when I have to pee, so no one has noticed excess pee-ing at work. But if I puke, I think the jig will be up, and I'd rather they not know about it for another couple months.
So, I hope you get lots and lots more pregnancy symptoms and I get less and less! LOL!!!! : ) Crossing my fingers for ya!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#7 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Talk about a rollercoaster... the nurse called and said my levels are consistant with someone who's pregnant - GREAT! Then I asked if I could know what they are. She said: "3692 which is consistant with someone who is 5 weeks". I am 8w3d. I feel like my stomach just dropped to my knees.

I go in a 4pm today and will know the results tomorrow. ugh.

When does the bleeding start? Can it just be absorbed?

I found this - I've never had my levels taken before so I'm pretty naive on it but how can the levels be SO varied?

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml

Kara
#8 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Those are some pretty huge ranges. I know nothing about this topic, but I can give a medical anecdote or two that show that they don't always know their ass from their elbow and sometimes things are just fine when they say they're horrible.

For example, with my first child they tested my bile acids because I had some obstetric cholestasis symptoms. The details don't matter, but the gist of it is that my level was above the normal range. I said that I was going to do some things to try to get it down and the doctor told me that it was 100% impossible to lower my level. Well, I got it back to normal.

Then he measured my amniotic fluid at a 3, where normal is 10-25 and low but not an emergency is 5-10. He said my baby could die in the next 6 hours. He said that I'd need continuous monitoring and probably need to be induced that day (this was at 35 weeks or so). So we went to the hospital to use the better machine. I asked how we would proceed if the level went back to normal (I had been measuring low, like 8-10 all along) and he said it was physically impossible for my body to make that much amniotic fluid before the time at which they'd have to recommend/insist on induction/section.

Guess what? The next morning I got a 12 on the hospital's machine. I grant that amniotic fluid level tests are about 95% guesswork and your blood test is probably pretty scientific, but the point is that doctors get it wrong A LOT.

(This was a very highly respected doctor in the SF Bay area in a big, well thought-of teaching hospital.)

I'll be thinking of you.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#9 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I also meant to ask how sure you are of your EDD.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#10 of 14 Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM

s I hope your Dr. delivers good news to you tomorrow.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#11 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
I also meant to ask how sure you are of your EDD.
I know the date we conceived. But at this point, I'll accept any due date as long as the number goes up.

Kara
#12 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Here is a good site for the ranges of betas in successful pregnancies. http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

Just because you are in the lower end doesn't mean your m/c.
#13 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

My new number is over 5000!

I don't remember what it was exactly because I was crying but I'm still pregnant! What a roller coaster I've been on... reading the Pregnancy & Loss forum for hours today totally dumb of me before I knew...

I go back for another test Thursday and we'll see where I'm at.

I'm TOTALLY dumbfounded because the numbers are so low. I can't explain what is going on. I got my first HPT+ on April 1 with my cycle due April 3. I don't get it but I'M PREGNANT!

Kara
#14 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

What wonderful news!

Maybe you're just someone with low levels. You never got tested before so you never had the opportunity to worry about it! I'm a firm believer that you can get yourself into a lot of trouble with all these tests. I sure did it to myself the first time around. The second time I went with a "don't ask don't tell" policy and everything was much more relaxed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page