What week is/was your first appt or u/s? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am asking because so many women here have already had both and tests as well and I don't see the midwife until I am 12 weeks and I am pretty sure the ultrasound is around 18 weeks. Is this difference because I am in Canada, or what? I recall with my first, I called the midwives (got put on a waiting list) called the OB and they were like "ok, see you at 12 weeks" This is making me a little crazy because thus far all I have had to prove my baby's existence is a positive test weeks ago. So is it usual to get the ultrasound and midwife/OB appointment sooner? I'm a little frustrated that I have to sit and do nothing until June!!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM

My first midwife appointment is Thursday at 6 weeks. I'm not sure when I'll get an u/s, although I'm going to push for an early one because of two previous miscarriages.
With dd, my first u/s was at 7 weeks, and my second was at 9 weeks, but I was seeing an RE then. After I was released from the RE, my next and last u/s wasn't until 20 weeks for the big scan.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#3 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 PM

If we go with the homebirth midwife, the first appointment will be at 12 weeks like you. I think the ultrasound is something around 18-20 weeks. She did say that if we were interested in the AFP or nuchal test, we would have our first appointment at 10 weeks. So, honestly, sounds like your schedule

Last time my first appointment was 9 weeks. Drove me a little batty honestly. I really thought that would bring me in and make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, but I guess they don't do that....

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#4 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 07:19 PM

i had my 1st appt with midwife at the clinic at 6 weeks. it was pretty much just intake info and blood tests, etc. i went in early because with my last preg., the midwife was almost booked up with too many clients and i wanted to be sure to get in. currently there is only 1 midwife in my area.

at 10 weeks we will listen for heartbeat, and as long as no complications, the only u/s will be at around 20 weeks.

my previous preg/midwife did an ultrasound at 10 weeks for heartbeat and just to see, then a 2nd at 20 weeks. but, that was at a much larger clinic.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#5 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I still haven't set one up yet. I'm thinking I'll probably set something up with my midwife in about 4 weeks. I don't do early u/s unless needed and they really can't feel your uterus or hear the heartbeat until 10-12 weeks. So I never see any reason to go in sooner than that.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#6 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM

my OB usually makes first appts. between 10 and 12 weeks, and usually doesn't do an ultrasound (last time he did but it was an unusual circumstance)

this time I"ll see him early because I just had my m/c and he wants me to have peace of mind that everything's good - that way I only have to wait until 7.5 weeks to see a heartbeat instead of 12 weeks, if that makes sense?

so I'll see him at 7.5 weeks (in about 2 weeks) and he'll do an early ultrasound.

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
#7 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 PM

My first appointment is set up for May 17th...and it seems like thats an ETERNITY away!! We'll meet with the midwife and then have an ultrasound with the doctor. I should be around 9 weeks at that time.

I cant wait to see my little one on the screen, and to hear a nice strong heartbeat!!

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#8 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM

My OB normally sees people at about 8 weeks for a dating ultrasound. I had some bleeding, though, and went in for an ultrasound at 5.5 weeks.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#9 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

My first prenatal appt with my HB MW is 5/27. I'll be 10w6d. I think the only u/s I will get is at 20 weeks. I was charting this time so I know when we conceived, so I don't need a dating u/s and there is no other reason I'd need one this early.

#10 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM

My first app will be around 12 weeks. Ultrasound around 20 weeks.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#11 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm like a lot of you. I called the midwife last week and made my appointment for 5/19. I'll be 10.5 wks by then. I didn't really want to go in earlier 'cause I want a decent chance of hearing the heartbeat. Hopefully, we will hear it then. I also didn't see the point of going in earlier 'cause I'm not doing any other testing (i.e. hcgs, afp, etc). But I'm getting impatient! 3 more weeks! Besides, I really want to keep it a secret until after then but I feel so huge today! I hope no one guesses - especially don't want the kids to know until I'm ready.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#12 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM

i am going to the OB next week. I will be 7 1/2 weeks. Although, i have a crazy pregnancy history. I am on pregnancy number 14. I have 4 living children, 5 stillborn, and many early miscarriages. I feel better, looking at the baby, confirming a heart beat, then i am good, until the second trimester.

My OB tollerates my strange schedule well. I will start seeing my midwife, if all is going well, around 35 weeks. I know and love her, but with OB care in the beginning, which is covered by insurance, i am good to see her at the end.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#13 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM

I'm in Canada as well...my first MW appt is on Thurs and I will be 6w. We won't be having an ultrasound though unless a specific need arises.

I think all MW's are different in terms of when they want to see you...

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#14 of 25 Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 PM

I haven't even made an appointment yet! I'll call the midwife when I'm 8 weeks to set one up for when I'm 10 weeks, I think. I was charting so I know exactly what day I ovulated, and I don't wany any ultrasounds, period, unless truly medically necessary.

However, I can't WAIT to hear the heartbeat!

Everyone keeps asking me when my appt is, and they're all a little shocked when I shurg and say I haven't made one yet. Hopefully I'll be able to eat better by then...I know they want a 3 day food log for my first appt.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#15 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 AM

I'm in Israel, and they're ultrasound crazy around here. My first is tomorrow, and I think I'm somewhere around 6 weeks. They do another at 16 or so, and a 3rd at 30some. They allow you to have additional ultrasounds in between, if you have a good reason (a good reason is not feeling movement, etc.)

I love national health care! (Ultrasounds cost $6.)
#16 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 AM

We are members of Kaiser, and they have you come in for a "pregnancy class" where you fill out a ream of paperwork and they do a general sort of lecture about nutrition, what to avoid, prenatal testing, etc. They set you up for an appt with the OB after that. Mine is tmrw at 7wk6d. They do a dating ultrasound, and bloodwork, I think. I refused the early ultrasound last time, but this time I think I'll do it as I'm not sure when this one was actually conceived, I think at day 17-18 in my 28 day cycle. I'd like for them to confirm that, so I have a later due date in case we get into discussions later about an "overdue" baby.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#17 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 AM

With the CNM group it was going to be at 9 weeks but my health insurance just approved my HB MW! So I am going next week at 8 weeks! However, I don't think I get an u/s. Dang it!
#18 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM

My first appt with my MW was at 5.5 weeks. She didn't do much - blood test, pap, and told me my uterus was the size of a small pear. We're going back next week (I'll be 8.5 weeks) to see and hopefully hear the heartbeat!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#19 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I am not really interested in an early u/s, but I would just like an appointment, a little chat, feel the belly, to feel like we're getting the ball rolling, y'know? When they told me my first apt is in June, I was a little disappointed but at the same time, the appointment is an hour and a half so I know it will be really great, a getting to know you kind of meeting. I really can't wait and I googled my midwife (is that weird? DH thought so) and she sounds awesome!

Wholewheatchick, midwives are so scarce here that you have to call before you even miss your period for the most part! So it is a luxury that you can wait on making an appointment, sounds way less stressful.

Eastvillage, I love national health care too! I wish everyone had coverage for a midwife, it's such an amazing experience.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#20 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM

I have an u/s appt. tonight, just to rule out ectopic pregnancy (which I'm pretty confident it isn't, but I do have a history). I think that's 6w2d.

I'm a little nervous. This still isn't completely real to me yet, so I'm not sure how hard it's going to hit me!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#21 of 25 Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM

I had two positive pregnancy tests and that's all that I'm going to use as my own proof that there's a little being in there. Other than that, I'm listening to my body and having faith that my body will tell me what is happening.
My homebirth midwife doesn't need to see me til twelve weeks. No ultrasounds, no fetal testing.
#22 of 25 Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 AM

Hi - I just joined. I haven't made an appt yet either. I'll wait until at least 7 weeks, I think. Still have to go over my insurance policy to figure out exactly what my coverage is, anyway.
#23 of 25 Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebearsmama View Post
I had two positive pregnancy tests and that's all that I'm going to use as my own proof that there's a little being in there. Other than that, I'm listening to my body and having faith that my body will tell me what is happening.
My homebirth midwife doesn't need to see me til twelve weeks. No ultrasounds, no fetal testing.
I am 7 weeks today and I have taken 3 pee stick tests! My HB MW will see me next week but I don't think it will include an ultra sound.
#24 of 25 Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM

I wish I had my first app. at 12 weeks, that would mean my pregnancy was all normal.
The U/S is 18 weeks here too.
We also have free health care, much like Canada I think.

But, since my pregnancy is high-risk, I'm going to be having loads of apps., from now on. It's good though, I feel taken care off. I can just call, and they'll check or do an U/S or whatever, and my apps. will probably be just a week or two appart depending on how wreck-ish I am later on.

I got really sick on friday night, extremely dizzy, nauseated and headache, dizziness being the worst, had to hold on sitting down. And when I hadn't passed after a nights sleep (my dear staying up all night watching me, the sweetie), my dear called the hospital and they wanted me up there on saturday morning (6+6). So after a blood draw (normal) and them seeing my low pulse and low bloodpressure and blaming it. I had an U/S too, just to check on Bean. And I got to see and hear that tiny little heart beat.
Pure magic moment! I filmed it for my dear who was at home with the kids.
My best friend was with me, and he had to wipe a tear too.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#25 of 25 Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I had an OB appt. at 6w6d, and had an U/S & saw the heartbeat.

We have an appt. w/ a HBMW on June 11th - approx. 13 weeks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page