Trying to distract myself - let's talk cloth diapers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
I'm planning to do NB prefolds and covers at first, but I am unsure what to do after that... do I go straight into OS? Get some smalls, then OS? Or skip the OS and just get some of each size as baby grows? I've also been told Mediums will fit most babes after the NB stage. I am worried about OS being bulky. I'm a rather small person (5'4 and 112) and am assuming I'm going to have a skinny babe that will be swallowed by OS dipes, but I don't really know.
Dabble a bit, try everything. I found I love most pockeds, and dipes & prefolds get old quick. I thought I would hate AIOs, but I got a organic BG OS and I love it.

I also am lucky enough to have lived in two cities now with a brick & mortar store (I have not visited the one in Olympia yet), plus I have met the retailers of Rumparoos, Cloth Diaper Wholesale, Wahmmies, Rocky Mountain Diapers & Drybees. It is very cool to have a face to put with a name to put with a diaper. If you can get together IRL with others who CD, it is nice to touch and feel their stash to see who's diapers you like best. I am a thick PUL kinda girl, so I loved *******'s Pants, but they are really hard to find at a discount.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#62 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the update Heather ~ I hope it's true! I really prefer sized covers and diapers, especially for the smaller sizes.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#63 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
Thanks for the update Heather ~ I hope it's true! I really prefer sized covers and diapers, especially for the smaller sizes.
Yes, sized is better for smaller sizes, as it allows a better fit with little frustration! I'd save OS stuff for the M & L sized stuff.

#64 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM

There is still a possibility the fab fitteds will be phased out of single size into dual size.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
#65 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post
I also checked into the Thirstie's sitch. They are from Colorado and my friend is a retailer and friends with the owner. She said the single sizes are here to stay for the foreseeable future. They *may* phase some of the colors since they are not selling as well as before they duos were introduced, but she still has a steady stream of clientele who love them.

So there you go!
Thanks! I got an email back from them today saying the same thing!

I can't figure out why that one site said they were discontinued.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#66 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM

LOL am I the only one that loves my prefolds????

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#67 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 PM

Ok, I'm just gonna jump in here: with DD, we used disposables and honestly in every other regard I was/am a crunchy baby mama. This time around, I really want to give CDs a try. I am reading this thread with great interest and gaining so much wisdom from you BTDT crew. AND I looked into it and there are a couple of stores in my area that have loaner programs for newborns (kissaluvs and prefolds and covers for 4 weeks) and then when the baby is a little bigger, another program where they loan you a package with every kind of diaper (18 different kinds) for 10 days so you can try them and figure out what you like best before buying. So I am really getting excited!! DH, less so. He is VERY concerned that there will be a serious gross-out factor, but he is agreeing to having an open mind or face the wrath of the pregnant wife . I just wanted to say, your passion has inspired me!! I'm all over it!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#68 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Ok, I'm just gonna jump in here: with DD, we used disposables and honestly in every other regard I was/am a crunchy baby mama. This time around, I really want to give CDs a try. I am reading this thread with great interest and gaining so much wisdom from you BTDT crew. AND I looked into it and there are a couple of stores in my area that have loaner programs for newborns (kissaluvs and prefolds and covers for 4 weeks) and then when the baby is a little bigger, another program where they loan you a package with every kind of diaper (18 different kinds) for 10 days so you can try them and figure out what you like best before buying. So I am really getting excited!! DH, less so. He is VERY concerned that there will be a serious gross-out factor, but he is agreeing to having an open mind or face the wrath of the pregnant wife . I just wanted to say, your passion has inspired me!! I'm all over it!!
Good luck with it, mama! Man, I wish I lived where you do! In all seriousness, though, for us, cd'ing just means an extra load of laundry every couple of days. No biggie at all. My DH is great about them- I think he gets more excited about saving money, esp. with #2 on the way. Anyways, I would also recommend you look into a diaper sprayer when you start solids down the road- DH went to Lowe's to get ours, and was super proud of it. Plus we don't have to dunk diapers. Instead of paying a ton of money for one of the diaper-specific ones (they attach directly to the toilet- I have visions of my LOs spraying themselves with it), we just bought an extra showerhead with a long hose and attached it to our guest shower. It reaches the toilet, has a powerful spray, and really helps with the "ick" factor.

Also, we keep our dirty dipes in a kitchen-sized trashcan with a spring-y lid. It's lined with a waterproof bag that has a drawstring, to keep it tight. On wash day, we just dump the bag out- no touching dirty diapers! This works great- I'd say the "ick" factor is minor until you start on solids.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#69 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Yes, ick is totally not a big deal until solids. Newborn poo is completely water soluble, so everything just goes in the wetbag, rather than a trashbag or diaper pail with a disposable, and the entire thing gets dumped in the washer. You don't have to touch the dirty diapers any more than touching a dirty sposie.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

#70 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
Nope! They're our staple!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#71 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So after you start solids, and the poo is icky...then what? Dump it in the toilet? use a sprayer? The idea of a diaper sprayer scares me! I have visions of watery poo all over the bathroom! I am kinda thinking of using disposable liners.

And BTW, I've gone a little crazy and spent $144 in less than 24 hours at diaperswappers.com! I got 4 Bummis NB covers, 4 thirsties duo covers, 3 graceful moose fitteds, 4 bluedog fitteds, 4 kissaluv contours, and 3 fleece fitted covers. I think I did pretty well, but I've got to stay away from that site for awhile now. I did register for a few more small fitteds, small and medium prefolds, quite a few one-size AIOs and pockets and accessories, but I may spend every cent I have on dipes before I ever have a shower!

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#72 of 85 Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Honestly, for poo, I use the Imse Vimse liners. I was spraying but when we moved to our new place, the toilets were not low flow ones and the bowl was not as deep, so I was basically dunking and I was not liking that. Especially since DS sometimes poos several times a day (at 2.5!).

The liners get the majority of the "bulk" and are flushable. I have been able to also wash them several times before they are too worn out. They are not that expensive and have made dealing with poo a lot easier (and DS likes to see that he gets to flush his poo away).

I use my sprayer as backup. And may move it to the master bathroom in order to have something that is gentle on my privates in 8 months or so

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#73 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
So after you start solids, and the poo is icky...then what? Dump it in the toilet? use a sprayer? The idea of a diaper sprayer scares me! I have visions of watery poo all over the bathroom! I am kinda thinking of using disposable liners.
I would recommend a diaper sprayer for the in-between time when you're first starting solids- IMO, much less gross than dunking (shudder). After a couple of weeks, everything's solid, and then you can just shake it out into the toilet, no sprayer needed. Of course, I can think of lots of times when a sprayer is just handy to have around.

#74 of 85 Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope, love mine as well ! LOVE the look of a baby in a pinned prefold .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Awesome, you'll love it! Sounds like you got some great programs to try too!

Quote:

And BTW, I've gone a little crazy and spent $144 in less than 24 hours at diaperswappers.com! I got 4 Bummis NB covers, 4 thirsties duo covers, 3 graceful moose fitteds, 4 bluedog fitteds, 4 kissaluv contours, and 3 fleece fitted covers. I think I did pretty well, but I've got to stay away from that site for awhile now. I did register for a few more small fitteds, small and medium prefolds, quite a few one-size AIOs and pockets and accessories, but I may spend every cent I have on dipes before I ever have a shower!
Diaper sprayers are genius, and I really recommend one. I never minded dunking before I got mine, but when I got pregnant last time, it was too much ick for me! Won't go back to dunking ever again!

Sounds like you did really well at diaperswappers, although I haven't heard of some of those brands. I'm out of the loop, obviously .

#75 of 85 Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was blessed with a bit of a stash from a friend that I met right here on mothering! Small world, huh? I'm not going to buy any more cloth until the new one arrives and we see what we'll need. With dd, she would have never fit in newborn diapers-she was nine pounds and had a round little booty!
#76 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM

I can't wait to start working on my newborn stash. I'm planning on newborn size prefolds and wool covers. I'm going to start picking up old wool sweaters to convert. I've already been given some small prefolds (not positive they are DSQ) lthat I'm going to embellish or dye. I'm sure I'll find some used odds and ends I want to try too. So many new dipes that came out since my 3 year old.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#77 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I would recommend a diaper sprayer for the in-between time when you're first starting solids- IMO, much less gross than dunking (shudder). After a couple of weeks, everything's solid, and then you can just shake it out into the toilet, no sprayer needed. Of course, I can think of lots of times when a sprayer is just handy to have around.
Um, not always. Dd is 2 and her poops are not always solid

#78 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so proud of myself - I'm just about done (like 85% done) with a NB size wool soaker I'm knitting! I started it Saturday night, so this went really fast! I'll share a picture when it's done!

#79 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
Um, not always. Dd is 2 and her poops are not always solid
Yeah. Ds is 18 months and his poo is peanut buttery at best. He still breastfeeds a lot. We still can't shake it off into the toilet like people keep saying! I'm thinking I might splurge for a diaper sprayer for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
I'm so proud of myself - I'm just about done (like 85% done) with a NB size wool soaker I'm knitting! I started it Saturday night, so this went really fast! I'll share a picture when it's done!
So are you an experienced knitter? I want to learn to knit so I can make some longies but my grandmother, who has been knitting for a hundred years tried to make me some and said they are just too difficult and gave up.

I so want to knit my babe some things!

#80 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

We can usually just shake off into the toilet, but sometimes it's disgusting and awful and pasty. Ugh. Thankfully, our toilet and our shower are squashed in to an impossibly small space, and we have a removable shower head, which reaches to the toilet.

This is perhaps not helpful now that you've bought them, but KL contours are AWFUL for newborns. Awful. You can't roll up the edges, like with a prefold, and there are no gussets like with a fitted, so the poo just leaks out the legs. You have to wash the cover every time you use one of those contours. And, they take like ten years to dry. Don't get any more!

For greater things are yet to come...

#81 of 85 Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Selkat, thanks for the heads up on the KL contours. I actually just got that batch of dipes in the mail today (4 bluedog fitteds and 4 KL) and all of them are kind of stiff and not soft at all, so I will probably not even try them. At least those were cheap. The other dipes that have arrived so far have been in great shape. The graceful moose fitteds are adorable, and seem like they've never been worn.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#82 of 85 Old 05-11-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
So are you an experienced knitter? I want to learn to knit so I can make some longies but my grandmother, who has been knitting for a hundred years tried to make me some and said they are just too difficult and gave up.

I so want to knit my babe some things!
No, this is the first one I've ever made. I'd call myself a beginner; I can't do all of the fancy stuff yet. I've only knit hats, wash cloths, a skirt for DD#2, and a simple shawl, and then this soaker.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it. It felt really awkward at first, now it's almost second nature.

#83 of 85 Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Selkat, thanks for the heads up on the KL contours. I actually just got that batch of dipes in the mail today (4 bluedog fitteds and 4 KL) and all of them are kind of stiff and not soft at all, so I will probably not even try them. At least those were cheap. The other dipes that have arrived so far have been in great shape. The graceful moose fitteds are adorable, and seem like they've never been worn.
You can try softening them up with some ecover fabric softener. It's on of the only fabric softeners that's cloth diaper safe It worked wonders on my stiffer fitteds when we line dried

#84 of 85 Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
No, this is the first one I've ever made. I'd call myself a beginner; I can't do all of the fancy stuff yet. I've only knit hats, wash cloths, a skirt for DD#2, and a simple shawl, and then this soaker.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it. It felt really awkward at first, now it's almost second nature.
Thanks! You've got me feeling a bit hopeful.

#85 of 85 Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
Thanks! You've got me feeling a bit hopeful.
If I can do it, you sure can! I never thought I'd be good enough to knit a soaker, but I did it! Just jump right in & start knitting a square til you get the hang of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page