Trying to distract myself - let's talk cloth diapers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's going to be fluffing their baby's bottom with cloth?

I know I will be; I already have most of my newborn stash done . I have 3 dozen NB orange-edged organic prefolds from GMD, lots of NB covers, and over a dozen fitteds. The only things missing are some soakers & longies I want to knit. I also need to serge up a bunch of soft baby wipes as well.

So, who else is going to be CDing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM

SOOOO glad we are CDing with DD#1- with her and the new baby being so close together, we are going to save so much money! It seems like I just packed up her "small" prefolds (green stitching)- she's in the 15-30 lbs range now (blue stitching), which, hopefully, will last through potty-training- we're still folding them down in the front. I guess there will be a point when I will need more of the larger size, but that's no biggie. We love our prefolds and Bummis Super Brites- no complaints here!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm planning on it, although I will be going back to work and I don't know whether daycare will use them or not. I have a pretty big stash of all different kinds of things that I collected while TTC and during my other pregnancy. I think I'll be more into the pocket/AIO side of things rather than prefolds or fitteds and wool, just for the sake of convenience.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
I think I'll be more into the pocket/AIO side of things rather than prefolds or fitteds and wool, just for the sake of convenience.
I bought both prefolds/covers and pockets (fuzzibunz), and ended up selling all my pockets! I found them to be a huge PIA- I hated stuffing those things. They took a lot longer to dry, too- assuming you don't use the dryer. My dd was only 6 lbs 4 oz when she was born, and it took her forever to grow into the pockets- even though she's a chunky monkey now, I could always seem to get prefolds tighter, and I'll bet I can get a prefold and cover (including snappi) on quicker than most can stuff a pocket and put it on- lol.

I guess everybody (and their perception of convenience) is different!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM

We are. I like bamboo prefolds and wool in the start. And then fitted bamboo's with wool later.
I never liked the AIO's, or plastic diaper covers. Part of why I CD is because I wouldn't like my bum stuck in plastic 24/7, so I'm figuring neither will any child. So it's all natural with bamboo and wool for us.
I love the BumGenius bamboo fitted ones, but I'm also trying out a diaper my friend has just taken in in her store called bamboozle Stretch.
There's another brand here too, called Nøstebarn, also all organic, so I was thinking about trying those out too.
But that's for later, prefolds first!

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 PM

I sold off my NB stash to finance some more dipes for DD. In the end I still use the FB I bought for DS, so they have been through two kids. I really would like to do PF because they are more economical. But who knows, I may buy some small pockets.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM

We are! We started CD DS when he was 12 months, and we use FB pockets. He was already a size large, so we got mostly that size plus a couple one size. For this baby, we'll probably order a couple dozen FB one size from one of the sites that do the bundles. For me, convenience is just as important as the environmental concerns and I find pockets to be super convenient. I love stuffing them...DS "helps" me and it has become a nice little project we do together

Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 PM

We have our stash from DS and a couple of other diapers that we have picked up along the way. I will be knitting a few longies because we don't have any nb ones

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

me too!!

I sold all of our smalls, needed $ to buy bigger ones, so I get to start over!

I bought a bunch when I was pregnant in January - 2 dozen prefolds (preemie and newborn), some fitteds, and some yarn to start knitting. And the cutest woollybottoms footies you've ever seen.

I'll start looking again for fitteds (I hate OS dipes, so they'll be newborn/small), a few AIOs for going out, and longies/footies. This time I'm waiting until I have an ultrasound before I start shopping, 'cause the ones I bought before kinda broke my heart - they started showing up in the mail the week I had my D&C

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM

I WANT to. I have to get DH on board, though, since he'll be the mostly-SAHD. It helps that we have plenty of IRL friends that cloth diaper, so he's seen Real! People! Who he Actually Knows! who have done cloth diapering & survived. He's been skeptical in the past, and then, right after we got our BFP, we were wandering around Babies-R-Us & I showed him a gDiaper. To my surprise, he said "Hey, that's pretty cool!" So, there's hope!

We have a local company that will come do in-home demos of a variety of cloth diaper styles, and I think seeing all of them next to each other will help- rather than be trying to explain what "all in one", "pocket", "fitted, "snappi" and "prefold" all mean

I've got *months* to convince him, right?

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM

Definitely! But we are also going to do elimination communication as much as possible, so my plan is to use cotton pre-folds and then diaper covers like thirsties or bummies when needed, as it is easier for both parents and baby to know immediately when baby is wet. DH is totally on board for the EC and the cloth diapering. First baby, so I think I'll get the diapers and covers new. Cloth diapers combined with a clothesline: I feel all "green" lol.

ETA: There is a woman in my spouse's club who makes and sells cloth wipes with a wipe "solution" so I'm definitely planning on trying those, too.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulJo View Post
I've got *months* to convince him, right?
Definitely! My DH was SO not-on-board when we started, only because he thought it would be a hassle. But now he is a pro, and I've caught him bragging about how much money we've saved and how they're "not that big of a deal." In fact, when we started solids a while back he even designed/put together his own diaper sprayer! So yes- definitely doable!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We will be, but I'm going to have to rethink how to do it with twins.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Everything be essentially the same, except you will need double

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Me too! I made all of DD's diapers, and will be using them again for this baby. I'll probably make some more though, cause it'ss pretty addictive

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I'm planning on it, although I will be going back to work and I don't know whether daycare will use them or not. I have a pretty big stash of all different kinds of things that I collected while TTC and during my other pregnancy. I think I'll be more into the pocket/AIO side of things rather than prefolds or fitteds and wool, just for the sake of convenience.
You'll likely have better luck at daycare with pockets or AIOs - less work for the providers.

We CD'd our DD from birth, though we used a service the first month. I'm debating doing that again, just so I don't have to deal with meconium and loads of laundry the first couple weeks.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
Everything be essentially the same, except you will need double
Well, and simplified and streamlined. In the past we've never used any sort of "system". We have an eclectic mix of prefolds, covers, AIOs, soakers, and fitteds but for simplicity's sake I'd love to be able to have all one thing. Plus it would help anyone who was going to be helping us.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

#4 was our first CD'd baby, and this one will most definitely be, too!

I like prefolds for the first couple of months, but I have an easier time with fitteds and covers once they get real wiggly!

I sew my own fitteds, but I've never had good luck with covers, so I stick with Thirsties. I haven't tried the new one-size (well, two-size, I guess), so that will be something exciting to add, lol. We've liked Bumgenious pockets for on-the-go changes and stuff them with prefolds for overnight.

I do have to pretty much start a new stash (minus newborn size) since ds's look like they've been through a war. He wore mediums for nearly 2 years straight, and I never wanted to update his stash in hopes of potty training!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM

We are! I love building a stash.

I will likely wait until he is a few weeks old though. We battle thrush every time and with the cloth last time it got BAD. We had to switch to sposies until it was gone and by that time he'd outgrown all the small dipes and I had to build a new stash. We hardly used the small stuff at all.

I would love to not have the thrush and yeast rash this time.

I like prefolds and thirsties covers and might look at trying some new pockets for this babe. Love wool too!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM

We will be too, all my small FBs are finally shot. I bought them used when DS was a baby and they have been through my 2 (my almost 2 yr old is in smalls!) and how many kids they were used on before mine! I just wish the newer style ones held up as well. My mediums only made it through two kids, and my newer style smalls will be too big for a newborn and are already showing wear. I do have some some CDWs and RMDs, some BGs that are all one sized, and a ton of pre-folds and a few thirsties covers. I *should* have enough if my 22m old PLs before the baby gets here, but I may get a few more because losing all those FBs is going to be a huge hit on my stash.

I have to say I ADORE the new Thirsties Duos covers with snaps, I will be OK with my infant and small to where I won't need any size 1s, but I may need some size 2s. Also, if this is a boy, he will be wearing a few pink diapers as my shot FBs are my neutral colored diapers, and most of my other dipes are pretty girly.

Heather: Mama to my amazing boys A-14.5, C-13, & M-5.5, and my sweet girl S-2.5 and introducing our little surprise Liam Michael, born 12/28!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 PM

We're planning on cloth diapering our #1...and have been collecting a smallish stash for our prospective children for a couple years now. Now we get to put our efforts to use!!

We've collected:

2 Tobies Trousers Pockets in NB size
2 Lovey Bums Fitted Diaper NB size
1 Lovey Bums Wool Cover NB size
2 Batik Bum Covers NB size
1 Kissaluvs Fitted size 0
4 Tobies Trousers Pockets in S size
2 Cuddlebug Cloth Minkee AIO S size
1 Thirsties Pocket AIO S size
1 Prorap Cover S size
1 Little Beetle Fitted in Size 1
1 Batik Bum Fitted S size
1 Happy Heiny Pocket S size
11 FuzziBuns (first style) M size
1 Lovey Bums Wool cover M size
2 Lovey Bums Fitted M size
1 Batik Bum Fitted M size
1 WAHM Fitted M size
7 BumGenius OS AIOs
1 Blueberry Minkee OS AIO
2 Mommys Touch OS Pocket AIO

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

I welcome any imput...as I obviously havent used any of this first hand. What suggestions do you have? What am I lacking to successfully CD from birth through potty learning?

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Well, and simplified and streamlined. In the past we've never used any sort of "system". We have an eclectic mix of prefolds, covers, AIOs, soakers, and fitteds but for simplicity's sake I'd love to be able to have all one thing. Plus it would help anyone who was going to be helping us.
If money is a concern, I would think prefolds would be the best choice for twins, as they are relatively cheap (per each). And either poly (like Proraps or Bummis) or wool covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
We're planning on cloth diapering our #1...and have been collecting a smallish stash for our prospective children for a couple years now. Now we get to put our efforts to use!!

We've collected:

1 Prorap Cover S size
1 WAHM Fitted M size
7 BumGenius OS AIOs

I welcome any imput...as I obviously havent used any of this first hand. What suggestions do you have? What am I lacking to successfully CD from birth through potty learning?
I would get 2 or 3 dozen prefolds to supplement what you have already. NB's go through over a dozen diapers a day, so you will need a lot more than what you have. And don't forget cloth wipes as well!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:59 AM

I will be for at least the first year.
I made a committment to myself for a year.
DS is now in sposies and has been since he was about 14 months. Something had to give and since our neighborhood has really hard water I was constantly fighting diaper stink and decided that it wasn't worth it anymore. It was getting frustrating and not easy at all.
We will be moving before this baby is born, so hopefully our water will be better.
I still have all the nanipoos that I have collected through the kids, and I think I still have one dozen infant prefolds. I will be knitting lots of pants and a few soakers and then will buy a couple of pul covers for longer car rides or days we are going to be out of the house a lot.
I am excited to have fluffy baby butt again!!!!

My Dh rarely changes baby bottoms.. it just is easier and faster for me to do it while he deals with the biggers. He doesn't mind the cloth...but I told him when we first started using cloth that he didn't get a say unless he changed a diaper at least once a day He does change them when he has them and I am having me time

I noticed on craigslist that there was a new diaper service in the area and it seems to be really reasonable. I might think about using that for a month or so if I am struggling with diaper stink or any other post partum issues.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post

We've collected:

1 Prorap Cover S size
1 WAHM Fitted M size
7 BumGenius OS AIOs

I agree you do need some prefolds. Even if you don't use them regularly it is a good idea to have them as a backup or for burp cloths or milk soaks or just about any other thing you can think of, plus when they start to wear out they make great cleaning cloths.

After your baby is born you will have a chance to really see what works for you and the shape of your baby. I would hesitate to commit to any one type of diaper before that, because it is possible that may not work for you.
You seem to have a pretty eclectic start, but you definately need a lot more newborn diapers. Those tiny guys go through them!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
Who's going to be fluffing their baby's bottom with cloth?

I know I will be; I already have most of my newborn stash done . I have 3 dozen NB orange-edged organic prefolds from GMD, lots of NB covers, and over a dozen fitteds. The only things missing are some soakers & longies I want to knit. I also need to serge up a bunch of soft baby wipes as well.

So, who else is going to be CDing?
One less thing you will have to worry about! WTG!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Some daycares are better than others about it, and some might say they will use them, but complain about it the entire time.... make sure you specifically ask when checking out daycares.

I agree that pockets/AIO are best for daycare. When my olders were getting cared for by my SIL while I worked she really preffered the diapers that were more like sposies. I don't know that a center based care center would take the time to properly show employees how to use a prefold and snappi.
You might find you like something better at home. So get a little of each and then commit.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey8 View Post
me too!!

I sold all of our smalls, needed $ to buy bigger ones, so I get to start over!

I bought a bunch when I was pregnant in January - 2 dozen prefolds (preemie and newborn), some fitteds, and some yarn to start knitting. And the cutest woollybottoms footies you've ever seen.

I'll start looking again for fitteds (I hate OS dipes, so they'll be newborn/small), a few AIOs for going out, and longies/footies. This time I'm waiting until I have an ultrasound before I start shopping, 'cause the ones I bought before kinda broke my heart - they started showing up in the mail the week I had my D&C
Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslmere View Post
One less thing you will have to worry about! WTG!!!
And I got all of it cheap and from here on MDC's Trading Post! The PF's were like 1/2 price; I paid $36 for all of them, paid $13 for 6 NB Proraps, and I got the fitteds & other covers FFS! I'm so proud of my frugality .

Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
And I got all of it cheap and from here on MDC's Trading Post! The PF's were like 1/2 price; I paid $36 for all of them, paid $13 for 6 NB Proraps, and I got the fitteds & other covers FFS! I'm so proud of my frugality .

I hope I can get the last few things I need for so little!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslmere View Post

I hope I can get the last few things I need for so little!!!!
One of the benefits of being on MDC a lot . I always check those forums at least daily; you never know what you'll find!

User Tag List