Twin and other multiple moms chat for May! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok I thought since there are so many twin moms haveing a monthly thread would be nice.

I can update this first page with usernames and duedates if everyone wants.

My due date is Dec. 17th. and we are hopefully going to have a homebirth. Provided all goes well and I make it to 36 weeks, and baby A semi cooperates on positioning We are also doing OB care just in case.

Am I the only one planning a homebirth? How are you guys feeling? Pretty nauseous I am so exited about that part hopefully passing.

Anyone read about the diet recommendations for twins? Its insane! I have abook that has a diet program for pregnant with twins and other multiples and its based off a lot of research. But its saying 3500 calories a day, 176g of protein, 8-10 servings of dairy, 6 of fruit, 6 of veggies something insane! LOL so I guess my job is just to eat eat eat. They say better birth weight outcomes if you gain roughly 24lbs by 24 weeks. lol. I will do anything at this point if it can ensure healthy babies.

Mama to a zoo!
#2 of 29 Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 PM

I have 7yo MZ boys (mono/di). I also have two singletons, a 5yo girl and a 2yo girl. This pregnancy is a single -- I'd say some words of thanks, but I don't want to scare you all!

IME, the best thing you can do is EAT DRINK and REST.

Big hugs!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 29 Old 05-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought maybe we could have a monthly thread, if that's OK.

I feel so freaking huge. I'll be 9 weeks on Monday, and I swear I look 4 months pregnant. And I'm not just tired-- I am downright apathetic. I have no energy for anything.

How are the rest of you doing? And how many more do you think will join us this month, LOL!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 29 Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

lol I made one two days ago its down a few but we can chatter here too

I look huge. My uterus is huge. About two fingers above the pubic bone. So high that at 7w 1d I got to hear the heartbeat today. (I borrowed a doppler while at work and snuck off for a listen... no way expecting to hear it!) BOTH babies were 160's.

Mama to a zoo!
#5 of 29 Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm so sorry. I keep saying these are zombie babies and they're eating my brains. Let me see if I can find the other thread and merge the two.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 29 Old 05-01-2010, 11:06 PM

OK, that's better.

No homebirth for me. My first three were hospital births and my last was a homebirth. To be honest, it just wasn't that spectacular. I mean, parts were nice, but there were no fairies and rainbows and in the end I was left with a screaming baby, a pile of bloody sheets, and not a whole lot of help. And my husband is NOT comfortable with the idea of a twin homebirth, so...

#7 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Do you guys mind if I join you here? I'm not the pregnant one, but my DP is pregnant w/twins, due Dec 10. I'm scared out of my mind by being left home with 3 under 3! My older DD will be 2.5 in November.

So far she's not too big but is eating everything in sight and tired a lot. Normal stuff, really. No homebirth here either, DP isn't comfortable with it, and given that it's her body that's pretty much the final word. She's definitely hoping for a natural hospital birth, and is compiling a list of questions for the OB. And I'm informing twin A that (s)he needs to practice this head-down business now.

OMG what am I gonna do with TWINS? AND a toddler?

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#8 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

annette- I'm so sorry your homebirth wasn't how you hoped. Our midwives clean up everything, do any dishes left over and help out for several hours after the birth. You tell them when your ready for them to go. So provided all goes well with pregnancy that we can do homebirth of the twins. But it is something we will play by ear. My dh wasn't sure for homebirth with twins at first yet after we had our first visit and I was told only way they wouldn't do a C/S is if both are head down (odds less than 40%) that if I refused a c/s they would drop my care. Um really? I don't want to face that at the end. So we are switching to a different OB and hopefully the homebirth. We shall see.

Thegirls- of course you can join! I will have 4... 4 and under when these babies arrive. EEK so I feel your stress. Now we have to figure out how the heck we will figure out work schedules.

Mama to a zoo!
#9 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Welcome TheGirls! I'll have twins, a toddler, a 6, a 9, and an 11. I win.

#10 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Yup, Annette, you win. Though a 9 or 11 yo would be useful sometimes... For the early weeks, we will have one distinct advantage though - 4 working boobs. I'm still nursing the 2yo and plan to try to bring up my supply, and DP will have 3 months off... I'm most scared of what happens at 3mo when she goes back to work and I have to survive with just me and all these little people!!!!

blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#11 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

4 working boobs would be awesomesauce!

And yes, I already informed the 9 and 11 they'd be changing dipes this time around.

#12 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Turniquia: thanks for the new thread.

We are planning a hosptial birth. This is our first 2 babies so we have no idea what to expect during delivery and feel some sort of comfort being at the hospital. I find the idea of a homebirth amazing, it's just not something we're comfortable with.

My due date is December 3rd.

I also read about being 24lbs by 24 weeks but that you won't likely start to put on the weight until second trimester... they say it's normal to gain 1.5 lbs. per week. I'm little bits of food all day long but I'm still feeling nauseous/adverse to some foods so I couldn't imagine increasing food intake at this point.

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#13 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTC#1 View Post
Turniquia: thanks for the new thread.

I also read about being 24lbs by 24 weeks but that you won't likely start to put on the weight until second trimester... they say it's normal to gain 1.5 lbs. per week. I'm little bits of food all day long but I'm still feeling nauseous/adverse to some foods so I couldn't imagine increasing food intake at this point.
I am trying to just increase protein not really anything else yet. the 176g of protein a day is rediculous! There is no way I can eat that. 3oz of steak = 21g of protein. So like 3 9oz steaks a day will meet your requirements. haha. I'm just trying to do as much protein as I can because its the one thing that is being stressed the most.

I went and bought some preggo pops today for the nausea... they work REALLY good and taste good too. (I got the sour ones). Seriously I'm gonna be buying them all the time!

Mama to a zoo!
#14 of 29 Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I had my OB interview this morning. I don't know why they call it that, since it's with a nurse who asks you 5 billion questions, but whatevs. I mentioed this whole protein/weight gain thing to her and she seemed extremely skeptical. She was all, "Look, just eat what you can stand and in the second trimester try to make it healthy. Don't try lose weight and you'll be fine."

She also said they probably won't "let" me go past 37 weeks. What the heck ever. She obviously has never fought with me before. They also managed to sneak formula gifts out with me. I thought they were prenatal vitamin samples, but there was also a "first trimester gift" planner from Similac and a magazine from Enfamil. Sneaky, sneaky.

People keep saying "the twins" or correcting me if I say "the baby" and it's starting to freak me out. I mean, obviously I know there are twins in there, but I tend to not focus on it.

Daniel, my three who loves Bear in the Big Blue House, has started referring to the babies as Pip and Pop.

#15 of 29 Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM

Add me to the club...just found out today that we have a pair. There just is not a smiley to adequately express my thoughts and emotions right now. Still trying to digest it all. We're happy, just a little overwhelmed! And there is NO history of twins in either family so this was definitely not expected!

Its weird...comparing this pregnancy to my pg's w/ both my girls, its not so bad. I'm not nearly as sick. I haven't gained any weight yet and my tummy isn't pooched out too much. I'm exhausted, but not any more than I would expect. I almost thought the tech was joking when she told me there were two. LOL

I'm going to go freak out quietly in the corner now...

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
#16 of 29 Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Welcome to the Twins Club!

#17 of 29 Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yay welcome Aurina!

Should we keep a roll call on the first post? Anyone else want to do it?

Annette? I'm so sorry your sick! I go to work tomorrow (I work in hospital lol) so I will be begging for some zofran as well Its been bad. However I can tell you... slurpee's are my new best friend. Have no clue why but they totally take away my sickness.

Oh with Zofran... drink extra water and fiber. They can make you consitpated.

Mama to a zoo!
#18 of 29 Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 PM

I think the roll call is a great idea!

I'm having a "moving through jello" day. I can't describe it. I'm dizzy and my head is in a fog. The nausea doesn't help. And I'm kind of short of breath and my heart is racing. I had this a few weeks ago and I know it's normal, especially with the increased blood capacity with twins, but it doesn't help that today is my daughter's 9th birthday and dance recital and my in-laws are coming.

I haven't taken the Zofran left. Because I only have 12 I want to save it until I feel despderate.

#19 of 29 Old 05-10-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm 8 wks today and have finally been cleared to go back to my midwife! Yay! I'm trying to follow the Brewer's diet, but some days it's almost impossible to eat all that food! The key is to find other types of protein. Dairy and eggs count. So for breakfast I'll try to eat 2 pieces of turkey bacon/sausage, 2 hard boiled eggs or cheese eggs and some toast. By breakfast I've already taken in almost 50gms of protein . I always keep cheese around to eat with fruit and incorporate protein with everything I put in my mouth! My last bit of protein comes in at bedtime (I've been waking up in the middle of the night nauseous) so to combat that I eat a bowl of high protein granola and milk. My waves of nausea have progressed to persistent nausea if I don't eat every 3 hrs on the dot, but I found eating to stay ahead of the game works and having a combo of a sugar/carb and protein works the best.

We're planning a home/waterbirth with our midwife. I've been interviewing doulas in the area and we found one that is a midwife-in-training and will be more of a midwife assistant & can provide more hands on help. She suggested I start reading about "spinning babies" for fetal optimal positioning (head down) for twins. My DH is actually the one that suggested the homebirth after watching the business of being born!

***4***8***12***16***20******28***32***36***40
#20 of 29 Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Crowned one- I am so glad there is another homebirth twin mama!!! We are planning a homebirth but still interviewing with OB's due to some contraction issues with last two singleton pregnancies. However plan is to deliver at home... keep the OB's until I hit 36 weeks, but with midwife care the entire time. If you find any spinningbaby links on twins let me know.

As for diet... right now, I'm focused on just eating. I've lost about 9-10lb in about 9 days. Despite taking zofran for the last 3 days and not throwing up and eating, better I am still loosing weight.

I will try some of the breakfast suggestions... but for now I am just trying to make healthy choices and eat frequently.

We probably aren't going to hire a doula though for our homebirth. We will have 2 midwives... mine plus another with lots of twin experience coming, on top of 2-3 apprentices that will be with the both of them. Plus the photographer, dh, myself, maybe a friend. So all in all I think there will be enough people present that I will have enough support.

I'm so excited.. my uterus is HUGE already, and is achy from all the growing I'm assuming. Ligament pain keeps me up at night if I roll over. And thankfully I am finally rehydrated so I'm peeing every 5 minutes! lol but otherwise I'm doing good here! I cannot wait for hearing the heartbeats officially. Haha me stealing the doppler one time at work (after I had spotting) and hearing them counts, but hearing it officially will be awesome!

So who is finding out or NOT finding out genders? We are not finding out. But we are already pretty set on names... easily enough

Mama to a zoo!
#21 of 29 Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 AM

It's still early for us to determine if our midwife will want another midwife at the birth or not. She's very experienced with twins...my doula/midwife-assistant was for my peace of mind since this is my first pregnancy . I plan to have plenty of support with my sisters and friends who all had natural childbirth, too.

We aren't finding out what we're having because I don't want to know. My DH is ready to payoff the sonographer to find out. I figure its my belly and I don't want to know, then no one knows--hehe

***4***8***12***16***20******28***32***36***40
#22 of 29 Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 AM

DP's exhaustion/morning sickness has gotten about a million times better since Tuesday. Which is good, since she felt pretty awful Tuesday, but has me freaked out because she's not quite 10weeks which seems too early to feel better. She got a couple of good nights sleep though, so I'm hoping it's just that. I'll find out in a few hours - ultrasound today!

#23 of 29 Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Update: Apparently it was just the sleep. Sono shows two babies growing on schedule and developing as expected. Looks like seperate sacks & placentas, too. :-)

#24 of 29 Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Glad to hear all is going well! Our babies are separate sacks, separate placentas as well.

#25 of 29 Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM

Baby pictures! I don't know if I posted these. I hope to have great news at my ultrasound on Monday.

First US, 6 weeks, 6 days

Second US, 8 weeks, 2 days

The closer I get to Monday's ultrasound, the more nervous I am. I think they're OK. I'm still really sick, my breasts feel like someone used them as punching bags, I'm exhuasted--2 naps just today-- and I swear I'm feeling little baby squiggles. But after two miscarriages, I just worry, you know?

#26 of 29 Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm going into see my RE again this week even though I have been discharged to my OB but I haven't had my first appointment yet... I had a bit of scare with a possible blood clot in my lung this week that was thankfully ruled out... I haven't had any abominal pain or bleeding but I want to just confirm that everything is OK, it's been a long week of tests and I feel like I've been through the wringer but I'm hopeful and will be thankful to know that everything is still progressing normally.

#27 of 29 Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM

New pics of the babies here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=e3f94bfcb3

They were so beautifully squirmy.

(((Kelly)))

#28 of 29 Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Annette- Awesome pics! I'm jealous of all the ultrasounds already. I've heard both heartbeats so I guess for now that will do. Another 6 weeks or so for my next ultrasound (16 weeks).

Kelly- I'm so sorry about the health scare.. I hope your feeling better!

Mama to a zoo!
#29 of 29 Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM

I am feeling better every day!

I saw my RE this week and saw the babies again too... I'm at the 12 week mark now! Yeah! They are growing so fast, it's amazing... every ultrasound twin A is way more active than the other. I guess the personalities are already starting to show!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page