? for the veterans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quite a few of us are working on baby 4+! What are/will be your rooming arrangements?

We purchased this 3br house when we had 3 kids. My 6 and 7yo (soon to be 7 and 8yo) girls share a room, and they are a miserable odd couple. My 11yo boy has his own room.

My 3yo boy has all of his toys in our living room and basically passes out wherever he crashes at night, so long as it isn't my bed (unless he's sick or has a nightmare.) I have never been able to cosleep past 12-18 months, because I always wind up with someone's feet in my bum, and I can't stand it!

We've been talking about moving younger ds in with older ds, but it would require so much work and so many limitations on older ds. He has science kits, building stuff, school books and who knows what other precious/fragile treasures that would basically have to disappear, since we have no other available rooms in which he could set these things out.

We've also talked about adding 2 bedrooms to the house. If we do that, our dream of building our own little homestead would be pushed off for a LONG time (if not forever!)

This baby of unknown flavor will wind up staying in our room for about a year, so the decision isn't incredibly urgent, but we do have to formulate a plan. I REALLY want to separate my girls. If this baby is a boy, it's an easy decision to bunk the youngest two together. If it's a girl... Would you bunk a 5yo boy with a 1yo girl? Or would you put up with the non-stop fighting of the middle girls in order to give the littles their own spaces?

FWIW, my sisters and I rotated sharing rooms. None of us became friends until we were all grown and out of the house. And sometimes that's not even all that peachy! While I'm not an "every kid deserves their own room" kind of parent, my girls are making me crazy with the fighting, and I am evidence that sucking it up does not necessarily strengthen the relationship.

These are the things I think about while still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that I'm pregnant. No, it still hasn't sunk in!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM

I'd bunk a 5yo boy & 1yo girl together. Nothing wrong with that.

We only have 4 bedrooms. My oldest (DS is 16) has his own room, the other 2 boys share (14 & 10), and the 3 girls have a room, plus our master bedroom of course. Youngest DD still sleeps with us most nights.

After baby comes, things will stay the same. Baby will be with us til age 2 or so.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM

Well, recently I cut down on all non-essential books and toys, so that gives us more breathing space.

I have two boys who share and two girls who share. I also have two extra rooms, so if someone needs space, they go into an extra room.

When my kids argue, I force the arguers to spend time together alone.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM

we live in a 3 bedroom house, and are working on baby number 5.

right now, with 4, my oldest dd ( 9) and my youngest dd (6) share a room. My middle DD,( 8) who has OCD and cannot stand a mess, shares a room with my 11 month old son.

We are currently looking at rental houses, since our home will soon be in foreclosure, and we are only able to afford a 4 bedroom. One of the rooms, will be an office, so we will still have 5 kids, sharing 2 bedrooms, unless we find a 4 bedroom plus a den. At least in the newer homes, the bedrooms are bigger, and i could put 3 girls in one room, and the 2 babies in the other.

I am also decluttering big time. we have lived here for 11 years, and collected lots of stuff. So far i am only moving 1/3 of what we own. That will be fantastic.

If i have to but 3 in one room, i will buy one a loft bed, ( we alread have a bunk bed) and put the dressers under the loft, to save space. I will also use underbed storage for toys and stuffies, and i am hoping to find rooms with walk in closets.

I know a family that had 7 children in a 3 bedroom home, and they made it work. it was tight quarters, but everyone was happy and healthy. I use them as my model, when i am frustrated. LOL

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM

A good friend of mine who also has five does three per room. She has a bunk bed that's a double over a twin with a trundle.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM

We built triple bunkbeds for the girls. Such a space saver!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM

I would say first, could you figure out what is causing the girls to have such issues? Maybe they need to come up with some "rules" that will make life easier on all of you?

Otherwise, I would consider putting the older kids in a room together (boy/girl). That would make them have to dress in the bathroom instead of their rooms, but I don't see that as being too bad. My sister had to do that because our house was a weird setup and the way to the bathroom from the front of the house was through her room. Honestly, she was in an oversized hallway (her "room" had 3 doors!).

To answer your question, I would not put up with the non-stop fighting. But I would not build them rooms in order to accomplish that. Maybe you guys could have a family meeting and see what the kids come up with?

My family lived on a 29 foot sailboat when I was 5 and my sister was 3. My "bed" was the dining room table that could be moved down and the cushions moved around in order to make a bed. We each had a duffel bag with our clothes that was about a week's worth. We were very happy and played a lot. Could you possibly repurpose things in your house in order to have things work in a similar fashion. I would think RV magazines would have some neat ideas....

Could you get a lockable cabinet for the son that has all the building stuff? Could you find him a corner to work on things? Does he have any suggestions?

Sorry, I am rambling.....

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM

This is something we were pondering before we got pregnant! We're in a tiny house with three tiny bedrooms and a basement. We made a makeshift room for our son in the basement which has been temporary for two years now! All thekids are getting bigger which makes the house feel smaller by the day. The baby will be with us for at least 8 months, but our bedroom is so small that our bed and dressers barely fit in, so we'll have the changing table on top of my dresser as we did last time, and we'll keep househunting and hoping we can qualify before the baby comes! logistics are my forte, though, so figuring out space will be the least of my concerns!!!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Well, this isn't gonna help you.
Because we have a family bed (300x220 cm.) where we co-sleep with two 6 yos., 4 yo. and baby. (Emergency care baby, will be gone long before this Bean comes along who will take that place.)

We have plenty of bedrooms though, when we got the house it was a 6 bedroom one. One of those is a library, and it will never stop being library. One is a sensory room, we don't want to give it up, but if we must, we will, and make it a corner of another room again like before.
11 yo. has his own room. We have our room with the family bed. And the other two are currently a guest room and a play room.
The 4 yo. will want to move out, perhaps in not too long, so the guest room will be turned into his bedroom, and the play room will double as guest room.
The 6 yos. can't move out. Well, the girl can't, she has severe special needs, and needs to sleep right next to one of us, her situation can be critical in seconds. And her brother is not gonna move out on his own. Those two never sleep without each other.
Even when we have night nurses, the two of them and one of us usually sleeps in the guest room to give the rest good sleep.
If we, in some years, decide to go with night nurses the whole time, the two of them will get the last bedroom, and we'll put guests in the library/sensory room.
Oh, and this Bean, well, I expect Bean will be with us for years to come. And whenever Bean decides to move out of the family bed we'll put Bean with one of the others I think, instead of loosing the sensory room. Probably with the now 4 yo. But by that time, our 11 yo. might be soon moving out so.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Right now, the 6 of us (dh, me, 3 kids, and my mom) live in a 3 bedroom too-small IMO apartment. (probably influenced by living where winter is WAY TOO LONG IMO and we can't go out....I mean, my perception of this place as 'too small' is influenced by that)

Right now, DS-5 and DD-3 share a room, mom has a room, and little DS, me and DH have a room.

I am planning on buying a twin over full bunkbed. DS wants the top. DD will keep her current mattress on the floor, unless she really objects to that, and I'll be transitioning DS2 out of our bed to make way for the baby using the full bottom bunk.

EVENTUALLY I would like to have a 4 bedroom house with a decent, preferably finished, basement family room...or just a family room even if it's not in the basement, that part does not matter. One bedroom for me and DH, one for the boys, one for girls, my mom, and a room that can be a general shared playroom. (I *could* live without the family room if I had 2 large bedrooms for the kids...probably. If we stopped at 4 kids.)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!

User Tag List