Homebirthers roll call - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymango View Post
We planned for a birth in a free standing birthing center last time, but we ended up being transfered to the hospital. I think this was mostly because my midwife was intimidated by that fact that im an GP who attends births and felt she needed to be more proactive... I was really dissapointed that she broke the water for no clear reason, and then felt that I had "failure to progress" when the exam was unchanged 2 hours later. By the time I was transfered to the hospital, I was fully (the transfer was non-urgent so we took our time, it took about an hour).
This time, I have my heart set on a homebirth. I visited the birthing center near my home and did not like it. It's new, it's beautiful, but it's cold. And they kick you out really early (2-3 hours). Don't get me wrong, I don't want to spend 2 days there like they do in the hospital, but by 3 hours after my son's birth, I still hadn't peed and was in no shape to go home...
Unfortunately, DH is not convinced about a HB. I think he's mostly afraid of the "mess", and of people's opinion about HBs. (I couldn't care less about either... Im not going to be the one cleaning up lol. And rightfully or not, I use my "doctor's card" to shut up people who insist a HB is dangerous - "I've attended hundreds of births, I know what Im doing")

This time, I want a homebirth because I don't want to have to go anywhere. We don't have a car, cabs are hard to get and Im NOT walking to the birthing center in late december in labor in the middle of the night! We also just moved to this country and don't know anyone on whom we could drop DS at the last minute while i deliver. The midwife I interviewed offered a great solution for DS: open my house to a midwife student who would care for DS, but if he's asleep when the baby comes, she would get to attend the delivery
Bravo to you! Sounds like you're making the right choice for you and your family. I think the midwifery student is a great idea, she gets much needed experience (we need more midwives!) and you have someone to help with your ds. i'd recommend a "get to know you" session with the midwifery student, just to make sure she's comfortable around your ds and that he's comfy with her, before the birth.
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM

Me... planning a home waterbirth.

I had my 1st in a hospital, had my 2nd at home in the water, and now planning for the 3rd to be at home and in the water.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM

I am so beyond excited to see this thread! It literally warms my heart I am on several pregnancy forums and if there is a brave person posting about natural/homebirth/waterbirth/etc. someone always jumps in and attacks them as if they are negating anyone else's choice. It makes me sad because I have done a ton of research after my first nightmare hospital delivery and wish I had known before what I know now. It's so hard to speak up about the state of birth in the United States without someone attacking you. On here, everyone is so open, even if homebirth isn't their choice. I have tried talking to a few family and friends... you'd think I was an alien I wish they would do the research I have and see if they still think I am crazy.

Obviously, I had a hospital delivery with my first baby as I thought it was the only option and that they would respect my wishes.

With this baby, we are planning a homebirth, barring any returning complications (I had pre-eclampsia with DS). I am hoping that the attentive care of our very experienced midwife (longer than I have been alive ) will be able to help me do everything I can to avoid complications. Then, if I have to go to the hospital, I will know that I did everything in my power to stay healthy!

Baby Lillian Isabelle, due early December
Old 06-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Add me to the list, God-willing. I had three natural births in a hospital, then a homebirth. I planned another homebirth but ended up with an emergency c-section seven weeks before my due date. I'm back with my midwife again and she's helping me work towards an HBAC, which is exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I'm doing a lot more prenatal tests (namely ultrasounds) than I normally do because if something's wrong, I'll reconsider my birth choice.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Yes
this is my baby #4
but 1st homebirth water
I had Mw with my 2nd
was not able to get one with 3rd
its all differt plannign for me
i can't belive i am looking forward to birthign lolol

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Yes
We are planning our second homebirth, this time a UC
1st was a c-sec, #2 was Hbac w/MW, but we had some experiences we want to avoid, and Daady really wants to help catch the baby this time.
Is anyone else doing their own prenatal care?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM

I'm planning another waterbirth at home. I think I may rent or buy a real birth pool this time! I want more room to stretch out and move around.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM

Jazzmin, I have a Birth Pool In A Box and I loved it. The only problem was that we had to add hot water several times so we just put large pots on the stove and dumped them in as needed. It is huge, has handles all over, a little bench seat, it's deep, and it holds 2 people if your partner wants to get in too. I'm excited to use it again! I plan on actually birthing in it this time, last time I got out at the end for my MW to break my water (it was a freaking bag of steel and I couldn't move it down at all!) and then he just came out and I couldn't move to get back in.

I am so glad we decided to use the expensive midwife this time, it's already money well spent, I love her. We had an appt this week and the kids went with me. She let DD, 4, use the doppler to find the baby and DS, 2, held the speaker part, they thought that was awesome.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 PM

I am eying the BPIB. I love the idea of a seat and all the handles. My only concern is its size, I am not sure if it will fit in any of the rooms I would be interested laboring in. Luckily, I have a few months to figure it all out.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 AM

Another HBer here. I had my first in the hospital at 30wks but had a wonderful HB with #2. Looking forward to another wonderful birth experience!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM

we are planning our third hb/uc
The last birth was great because my oldest slept through the whole thing. I hope that I'll labor at night again and the little one's will sleep through it! I'm not sure how I would handle laboring while they're awake I need my space and I think my hubby would feel like he had too many people to take care of. I have invited a friend to join the "birth team" but she lives three states away and has two small children, so there is a possibility that she wouldn't be able to be here for it. Perhaps i'll meet someone locally that could be "on-call" incase we need a babysitter. I may even have my Dad come and stay nearby and he could take the girls if need be So happy to hear the love of the Birth Pool In a Box... I've been looking at pools. We rented one last time and I'd honestly rather buy my own this time

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Me!!! This will be my second birth, i had a mw, and was planning a hb last time, but my water broke and i didn't go into labor for days after, so i was induced.

This time around we are planning a homebirth too. I want to have my baby at home, and have more control over the situation.

What is a UC?

(smilies for ds)

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM

unassisted childbirth

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!

User Tag List