Homebirthers roll call - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Stole this idea from the Jan 2011 ddc)

I'm planning my second homebirth. I've given birth once in a hospital, once in a birth center, and once at home. I'm a very private birther, so I'm only planning to have two midwives, no apprentices, and possibly a birth photographer. Part of me wants one, but really -- I want as few people around as possible. I just like to get my work done and push out the baby. If my older kids need dh, I'm okay with him not being there!

Speaking of which, my kids have asked if they can attend. We'll see. If the timing works and they're okay with it -- and I'm okay with it. All four of them were born between 1am and 2am, so if everyone is asleep, I'm not waking them up.

Who else is having a homebirth? UC?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#2 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM

We're planning to homebirth. I had my first in a hospital (planned birthing home birth, had to switch to hospital at 32 weeks due to heart issues with baby), second in a freestanding birthing home, and I plan this one at home. I'm the same way...I need a quiet, private atmosphere. I kept everyone OUT during my last until the very last minute or two, when I allowed people in.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#3 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM

I had two hospital births with a doctor and two hospital births with a midwife. I WOULD LOVE to have a homebirth this time around but it will depend on it our home is built in time! That all depends on if we have a warm enough summer for our cob to dry and get the roof on!! So hopefully I will be joining in the homebirthers

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#4 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM

We are planning a HBAC. I am nervous about it, but I am more nervous of going to the hospital and having all the VBAC crap pushed on me.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#5 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm planning my 6th homebirth. I have no other experiences so it really is the only way I feel comfortable doing it. I like to be left alone while I'm laboring so it's very nice to be in my own house. Plus my labors go really fast so I would hate having to drive anywhere. My first 4 births were with a family doctor who did homebirths until a few years ago. He was actually pretty far away so it was just us and his midwife; He'd show up right as I was pushing with almost all the kids. This baby will be with the same midwife I used with my 5th baby. I loved her.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#6 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Me! I had UCs with my three middle kids, but am using my naturopathic midwife this time. I'm such a private labourer that I almost accidentally solo birthed my youngest, so we're going to come up with a plan so I don't go so far into labour land without letting someone know I'm going.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#7 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I've had one hospital birth and one homebirth. Planning a home waterbirth this time, pretty much a repeat of last time with the same doula, midwife and photographer.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 PM

I will be having my second waterbirth at home

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#9 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM

I had DD #1 with the UCLA CNM at the UCLA hospital but there were nurses and residents there too for the pushing part. We're planning a home birth with www.birthgoddess.com My doula from the last time is her apprentice.
#10 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 AM

I am planning a home birth. I have had a hospital birth with a midwife, a birth center and because the last birth was less than 2 hours, i might as well stay home and avoid the drive.
#11 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 AM

I birthed DS in a kind of birth centre. It was a birthing cabin with a hydrotherapy pool and a birthing pool. It is owned by a OB/GYN who accepts private pateints. Anyway, a stunning birth that was then transferred due to retained placenta. Although I have my suspicions that his interventions after the birth of my son did not help issues.

Anyway, I am planning a home birth with a midwife this time around. And I want to make sure that any intervention for birthing the placenta is clinically indicated, and not just routine after x number of minutes.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#12 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 AM

This will be our third home birth, 5th birth all together. We unintentionally UC'd the first one, intentionally UC'd the second one and I was wanting a midwife this last time, just to have someone come and take care of me, as a woman does and a man often does not, simply because of being a man. But my husband doesn't want to have anyone else. So I'm in a quandry right now. What to do... either way, with midwife or without, it will be at home.
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#13 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM

My first one was at home in California, my second was at home (waterbirth) in Amsterdam and I plan another home birth, probably another waterbirth, with this one. Same midwife and doula as last time.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#14 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM

I will be! This will be my 2nd one.

#15 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Home water birth with midwife and doula!
#16 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Planning our 5th home/waterbirth, most likely 3rd UC.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#17 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post
This will be our third home birth, 5th birth all together. We unintentionally UC'd the first one, intentionally UC'd the second one and I was wanting a midwife this last time, just to have someone come and take care of me, as a woman does and a man often does not, simply because of being a man. But my husband doesn't want to have anyone else. So I'm in a quandry right now. What to do... either way, with midwife or without, it will be at home.
- Jen
A post partum doula maybe?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#18 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Well I guess I feel like I can join this group. Heard a heartbeat today. I had a homebirth with my first and look forward to another one with this little guy. so glad to be here.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#19 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Well I guess I feel like I can join this group. Heard a heartbeat today. I had a homebirth with my first and look forward to another one with this little guy. so glad to be here.
Oh heartbeat! Yay!

#20 of 43 Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Planning our second homebirth, our first was a hospital birth.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#21 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
A post partum doula maybe?
Yes, that's what I'm considering, asking the midwife if she'll consider just doing after-care and postpartum for me, or if she can recommend someone. I wanted someone there to help me with afterpains and bleeding, but I don't want anyone to touch me or tell me how to do it before baby's born. I've btdt, don't need help with that.

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#22 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM

I am planning a home waterbirth as well. This is my first birth!!

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#23 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM

DS1: I was 19 and thought the hospital was the *only* option. Had almost every intervention possible (Except an Episiotomy)

DS2: Started looking into a more natural approach. Wanted to do a birth center, but the only one in Cincinnati hadn't caught a baby since '92. Started thinking and seriously considering a natural birth. Had no support, caved in, and got the epidural and iv drugs. Felt let down by everyone in the delivery room for not being more supportive.

DD: After my water broke and I arrived at the hospital, I was told by the anesthesia doc that my condition contraindicated the use of an epidural (Arnold Chiari Malformation...Google it). Freaked out, got iv pain meds, stalled my labor. Even though my water had only been broken for maybe 8 hours at this point, pitocin was started.

DS3: Moved to Georgia after my DH died. Got remarried and pregnant again. Home waterbirth. Most amazing thing EVER! Can't wait to do it again.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#24 of 43 Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm planning to give birth at the free standing birth center that is 1 mile from my house! They're tubs are AMAZING and I love water, so I'm excited about that. I've been on a tour there before, and my first appt. is in less than 2 weeks. I figure if I really want to, I can walk there while I'm in labor!

This is baby #1, and I'm excited at the prospect of having a peaceful birth. Already praying that everything goes well and I can...

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#25 of 43 Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM

This is my first birth and I'm doing it at home with a midwife. My husband may not be there though... he could be deployed at the time.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#26 of 43 Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM

planning a home birth...keeping my fingers crossed for it!

last time I planned a freestanding birth centre birth with midwives but was transferred out of their care at the very end of my pregnancy to a horrible OB/GYN who was more concerned about a tennis game then anything else. The hospital wasn't really all that bad, but I'm so excited to be at home with DP and DD; two fabulous midwives; two closest friends and maybe my mom?!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#27 of 43 Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Absolutely! Wouldn't have it any other way (one hospital OB, one hospital CNM, one almost-home waterbirth/CPM attended, another to-be almost-home waterbirthed)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#28 of 43 Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Planning 2nd home water birth at the end of the year. I think it may be too cold to birth outside in December, but who knows. Last time, I had a birthing tub on the back deck in the sunshine, and the other set up in the frontroom. It was marvelous!
#29 of 43 Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM

My first was born in the hospital, my second in the car outside the hospital and we are happily planning a homebirth for this bean. We actually just signed with a great hb midwife yesterday! So excited!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#30 of 43 Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM

We planned for a birth in a free standing birthing center last time, but we ended up being transfered to the hospital. I think this was mostly because my midwife was intimidated by that fact that im an GP who attends births and felt she needed to be more proactive... I was really dissapointed that she broke the water for no clear reason, and then felt that I had "failure to progress" when the exam was unchanged 2 hours later. By the time I was transfered to the hospital, I was fully (the transfer was non-urgent so we took our time, it took about an hour).
This time, I have my heart set on a homebirth. I visited the birthing center near my home and did not like it. It's new, it's beautiful, but it's cold. And they kick you out really early (2-3 hours). Don't get me wrong, I don't want to spend 2 days there like they do in the hospital, but by 3 hours after my son's birth, I still hadn't peed and was in no shape to go home...
Unfortunately, DH is not convinced about a HB. I think he's mostly afraid of the "mess", and of people's opinion about HBs. (I couldn't care less about either... Im not going to be the one cleaning up lol. And rightfully or not, I use my "doctor's card" to shut up people who insist a HB is dangerous - "I've attended hundreds of births, I know what Im doing")

This time, I want a homebirth because I don't want to have to go anywhere. We don't have a car, cabs are hard to get and Im NOT walking to the birthing center in late december in labor in the middle of the night! We also just moved to this country and don't know anyone on whom we could drop DS at the last minute while i deliver. The midwife I interviewed offered a great solution for DS: open my house to a midwife student who would care for DS, but if he's asleep when the baby comes, she would get to attend the delivery

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page