Cervical lip? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...apparently this is NOT uncommon!

and apparently this is also a reason hospitals do C-sections?

I count myself LUCKY then to have had my one experience with it be during an out-of hospital birth!

My MW pushed it back and I pushed. 2 hours of this, which was *ell after having pushed 20 mins. apiece with my first two!

I considered other options because of how it was handled, but in the end I see where the only 'mistake' I made was in not having a doula, and my MW is open to NOT pushing it back, if it were to happen again.

Which she says she thinks is unlikely because I have had two others without one. She says sometimes--likely in my case--position of baby can cause it. In other cases--not me--it can be something like a tipped uterus.

we talked about it and I'm satisfied that I won't be stuck in that scenario again no matter what happens.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM

I had this too at my homebirth. It was sooo annoying. DS's head was cockeyed so I was 10 cm, but with a lip. For like hours. My midwife had me do lunges, walking, rocking, and finally she pushed it back and I only pushed for 10 min. But I am CONVINCED I would have had a c/s in the hospital for SURE.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Wowww- I didn't realize how lucky I was! I had dd in the hospital with my mw, and ended up at "10 and a lip." My mw gave me the option- try moving around for a while, or let her push it back and "have this baby now!" I opted for the latter, hopped in the bed (for the first time during labor), and had to get on my side for a few contractions while she went to work. WHOAH was it painful- as in, I had a wonderful labor leading up to it, which I'd barely describe as painful at all, and then this happened, and it was awful. Luckily it was only for a few minutes (like I think 3 contractions), but I don't know that I could have bared much more of it. Only part of the entire thing that I got distracted by the pain. Anyways, only a few minutes, then I pushed dd in less than 15. So definitely worth it- but I hadn't realized before that it justified a c/s for some people!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#4 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM

I had a lip. The nurse told me to not push and (don't remember the exact words), but she made it sound that if I pushed, they I could do irrepairable damage. So, since my body did not care, and was pushing anyway, they gave me fentanayl (misspelled) and that knocked me out for 45 minutes. However, my body was still pushing the whole time and then my cervix was swollen. So, NOW we had to do a c-section for "failure to progress" and "CPD" (baby too big). Yeah, TOTALLY pissed about it. DS looked like he was born vaginally when he was a c-section.

So, now I am a VBAC and doing it at home.

And then of course my MIL told me that I am just too small to birth the big babies their side of the family makes. And that maybe I should adopt if I don't want another c-section. Argh!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#5 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also had a lip with dd, due to malpositioning. She was asynclitic/her head was crooked to the side. I pushed against that cervical lip for almost three hours. Ugh. Like maky of you, labour was really good, until the pushing. Awful. I, however, knew that it was too early to push and didn't listen to that inner voice. There are heaps of things you can do - movement, arnica, ice in a glove internally, positioning yourself so that the babe's head gets *off* the cervix for a bit, etc, etc. We held the lip back, for three hours. I remember, at one point, thinking, "This has GOT to be over soon!", and then like 20 minutes later, someone announced that her head had cleared the cervix. I seriously wanted to die. It felt like there was still forever to go before she would actually be BORN.
Anyway, many obs and ob nurses have it in their heads that you will tear your cervix if you push against a lip or an incompletely dialated cervix, but the research really doesn't support that. At all. You do what you've got to do, andd hopefully you have some support to offer suggestions of various things to try.
No wonder c/s rates are so high in North America, if we're happy to go with a section for a cervical lip. Gah.

For greater things are yet to come...

#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Yep, I had it, too. It was undetected by my midwife during the first examinations and so I ended up pushing at 10cm with a lip, and ended up going back to 7 cm. Talk about discouraging! It took a long time to get back to full dilation, and it was one hell of a long labor (total unneccesarean if I hadn't been at home!), and he was such a big boy (almost a ten pounder). But I'm so much stronger for having gone through it all. Since then, my midwife has learned how to gently massage back those cervical lips successfully.
#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
I had this too at my homebirth. It was sooo annoying. DS's head was cockeyed so I was 10 cm, but with a lip. For like hours. My midwife had me do lunges, walking, rocking, and finally she pushed it back and I only pushed for 10 min. But I am CONVINCED I would have had a c/s in the hospital for SURE.
That was me too! 10 with a lip. but TWO HOURS of her moving it and me pushing and then FINALLY it went away on its own somehow and he was born 10 mins. later!

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
Wowww- I didn't realize how lucky I was! I had dd in the hospital with my mw, and ended up at "10 and a lip." My mw gave me the option- try moving around for a while, or let her push it back and "have this baby now!" I opted for the latter, hopped in the bed (for the first time during labor), and had to get on my side for a few contractions while she went to work. WHOAH was it painful- as in, I had a wonderful labor leading up to it, which I'd barely describe as painful at all, and then this happened, and it was awful. Luckily it was only for a few minutes (like I think 3 contractions), but I don't know that I could have bared much more of it. Only part of the entire thing that I got distracted by the pain. Anyways, only a few minutes, then I pushed dd in less than 15. So definitely worth it- but I hadn't realized before that it justified a c/s for some people!
I don't know WHY I didn't try a side lie for awhile in the tub while pushing, I birthed dd side-lying on a bed.

good ideas here....

#9 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Being at home doesn't solve the problem or mean that you won't end up with a c/s. I was at home but after pushing against a lip for 13 hours my labor stopped and I had to transfer for a c/s. After 5 hours of pushing I had my first vaginal exam where it was revealed why I hadn't made any progress. It was suggested that I move around a lot and labor down which didn't do anything. Now I wish I had had a vaginal exam during the first 3 hours of heavy pushing when I wasn't making any progress. Maybe we could have pushed it back and been done. But my midwife just told me I wasn't pushing hard enough. It was never revealed to me that DD's head was cocked but perhaps that was a problem. I do plan to have regular chiro this time.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
Which she says she thinks is unlikely because I have had two others without one. She says sometimes--likely in my case--position of baby can cause it. In other cases--not me--it can be something like a tipped uterus.
This scares me because I have both of these issues, meaning it could happen to me again. DD was posterior AND I have a retroverted uterus. I was hoping it was just her position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
But I am CONVINCED I would have had a c/s in the hospital for SURE.
This!! I have no doubt they would never have let me wait it out as long as we did and would not have let me push as long as I did. No way!! Luckily I was in a birthing centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
My mw gave me the option- try moving around for a while, or let her push it back and "have this baby now!" I opted for the latter, hopped in the bed (for the first time during labor), and had to get on my side for a few contractions while she went to work. WHOAH was it painful- as in, I had a wonderful labor leading up to it, which I'd barely describe as painful at all, and then this happened, and it was awful. Luckily it was only for a few minutes (like I think 3 contractions), but I don't know that I could have bared much more of it. Only part of the entire thing that I got distracted by the pain.
First, you are superwoman, ein328!! I could NOT deal with the pain when my MW tried to push it back, I opted to wait it out, followed by hours of pushing. If I had it to do again and could push DD out fairly quickly afterward, I might have gone for it, but she was posterior anyway so I was in for some heavy pushing regardless.

I have a new midwife this time around, is this something she should know about? Jeez I hope there is some way to avoid this!!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#11 of 11 Old 05-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
This scares me because I have both of these issues, meaning it could happen to me again. DD was posterior AND I have a retroverted uterus. I was hoping it was just her position...

This!! I have no doubt they would never have let me wait it out as long as we did and would not have let me push as long as I did. No way!! Luckily I was in a birthing centre.

First, you are superwoman, ein328!! I could NOT deal with the pain when my MW tried to push it back, I opted to wait it out, followed by hours of pushing. If I had it to do again and could push DD out fairly quickly afterward, I might have gone for it, but she was posterior anyway so I was in for some heavy pushing regardless.

I have a new midwife this time around, is this something she should know about? Jeez I hope there is some way to avoid this!!!
haha had i known how bad it was going to be when she pushed it back, i probably would have turned her down! i guess i figured i'd rather have a few minutes of excruciating pain than potentially hours of deal-able pain. and i was definitely ready to meet my baby. AND i really didn't realize at the time what was going on.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page