Finding out the sex of baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll wait until the birth.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#32 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Not sure. We found out with DS. I was sure it was a boy, so it was good to have that confirmed. This time I really want a girl. I had a dream I gave birth to a girl around when I conceived, but nothing since then. Absolutely no inkling.

I don't think I will find out this time... although I am really curious. I like the idea of waiting. I don't have gender specific clothing/accesories, so it's not really a planning issue for us.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#33 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 AM

We really want to know! So we will be finding out ... hopefully in 6 weeks!

We didn't find out with DS1 but did with the others. We didn't like not knowing -- it seemed like so long to wait. Everyone told me the surprise would be great, but for us, we didn't like waiting. This time we have a ton of baby girl clothes from DD but NO boy clothes or gender neutral (we had gotten rid of a lot of stuff). It would be helpful to know whether we need clothes or not. Also the kids all want another sister and our 5 yr old REALLY wants a girl and believes the baby is his new sister (he tells everyone he meets this), so I think he would be the most shocked by a boy, and I want all the kids to get used to the idea of boy or girl.
#34 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Just a random, sort-of-funny story I heard from a friend this week....

She has two boys already, is pregnant with baby #3. They just had their u/s, and found out they're having another boy. She's sort of disappointed b/c they were hoping for a girl this time.

Anyways, they told their boys (4 and 2) that they're getting another brother, and the 4 y.o. straight up told the mother that the "doctor is wrong, b/c i'm getting a sister!" Mama tried to gently tell him, but he keeps saying "it can change! it can change!"

LOL.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#35 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
This was one of the best parts of not being able to tell people the gender! I had some "boy" suspicions, and shared them, but no one wanted to commit to anything outrageously one "gender" or the other, which was lovely.
This is why we are waiting until AFTER the baby shower to tell anyone; which is why we're going to wait till 30 weeks to find out ourselves. In the meantime, I'm getting all gender neutral stuff, and asking for gender neutral stuff, because this is only baby #1, and I'd like to reuse almost all of it for when baby # 2 comes around. And even when we do find out, I think we're just going to tell family.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#36 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 AM

A friend posted on my Facebook wall that ultrasounds can kill sperm for up to six months!Dh wants the ultrasound but this time I think we'll be surprised.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#37 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM

We won't be finding out. At least that's how I feel now and I do feel quite strongly about it. We didn't find out last time either. I never really had an inkling of what we were having either. Some women just know, but not me. As I'm thinking it might be one thing, then I think I'm wrong and it must be the other. Oh well. It's going to be what it's going to be, right. And we're gonna love the baby weather it be boy or girl.

Last time DH wanted to find out in the beginning. Then when I asked him why his only reason was that his buddy found out they were having a girl and they already had a closet full of clothes for their DD before she was born. Sorry but I'm not finding out just for the presents and who wants their nursery to look like pink palace anyhow? Of course if we do have a girl I'll be sure to get some pink and purple frilly things but I don't want the relative overload of it. He eventually decided I was right and was happy that we waited.

And really I'm all set now either way. Since we didn't know for DS everthing from NB clothes to the nursery is gender neutral. And it was the best surprise after labor. I was so out of it, that it took me a good ten minutes and then I was all "what is it?" lol.
#38 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyleed View Post
And it was the best surprise after labor. I was so out of it, that it took me a good ten minutes and then I was all "what is it?" lol.

I read a crazy study somewhere during my last pregnancy that said that women who don't know their baby(ies)' sex have shorter labors than those who do!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#39 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
A friend posted on my Facebook wall that ultrasounds can kill sperm for up to six months!Dh wants the ultrasound but this time I think we'll be surprised.
Did you ask for a study? There has been an initial study, with no conclusion and no repeatable findings.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#40 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post

I read a crazy study somewhere during my last pregnancy that said that women who don't know their baby(ies)' sex have shorter labors than those who do!
I wish that was true for me! The only one I didn't find out with was my longest, terrible labor. That is probably part of the reason, subconsciously that I don't want to relive that. The dr. didn't even announce boy/girl, I didn't get to hold him, and didn't even know what was going on (he needed oxygen). It was at that moment that I realized for us, it made the pregnancy more fun to find out -- afterward I didn't care whether it was a boy/girl anyway!
#41 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Did you ask for a study? There has been an initial study, with no conclusion and no repeatable findings.
This is a different kind of ultrasound, not a diagnostic one which uses lower frequency its a therapeutic one that uses higher frequencies, just like when they use them to break up kidney stones. There is a very big difference...

We are undecided about finding out. With twins knowing the genders would make some things really a ton easier. However it was SOOOO much fun not knowing. I loved it. So I think we will wait, but we will see. We will have a ton of ultrasounds so who knows what will happen.

Mama to a zoo!
#42 of 59 Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:

That could be true. With my first I didn't know the sex beforehand and his labor was 6 hours from first noticeable ctx to delivery. My second and third had slightly longer labors, 8 hours and 12 hours respectively, and I new the sex beforehand.

I don't really want to know. I would like the last to be a surprise. DH wants to know, but I think he is on board not knowing.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#43 of 59 Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 AM
rad

Quote:

Not for me. The first 3 I didn't know and my labors were 4, 3.5 and 1.5 hours. The next 2 that I did know the sex of, were both 2.5 hours. I htink I labor fast regardless of knowing or not.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#44 of 59 Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 PM

We are going to find out because I really want to this time. We have an U/S scheduled in July and will hopefully find out then. With DD we had decided not to find out but then at 25 weeks I just had to know because I had the strongest feeling I was having a girl and I was right .

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#45 of 59 Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

lol the labor speed thing... my dd (my first) we knew gender.. labor 2.5 horus.

My son (second baby) we did not know the gender... 9 hours.

Mama to a zoo!
#46 of 59 Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnquia View Post
lol the labor speed thing... my dd (my first) we knew gender.. labor 2.5 horus.

My son (second baby) we did not know the gender... 9 hours.
That's so funny (not a 9 hour labor, but what I'm about to say!)- in my last DDC, it seemed to be the case for more women than not (don't know gender = shorter labor!) Just reminds me how different everyone is- and how one group of women can vary drastically from another :-)

#47 of 59 Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 PM

We will find out when the baby is born

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#48 of 59 Old 05-29-2010, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
With my son, we waited. Except I accidentally found out at a very late ultrasound a couple weeks before he was born - I forgot to tell the tech we didn't know. I didn't tell anyone else though, so it was mostly a surprise.

This time, I am determined to have it a surprise for real.
#49 of 59 Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 PM

This will be the first time we don't find out. I'm pretty excited about that -- this baby will be the tie-breaker.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#50 of 59 Old 05-30-2010, 11:04 PM

I feel so silly- I don't understand how a lot of you have "feelings" of gender on way or the other- is it because of previous pregnancies??

This is my first, so I feel like I have no source of comparison. I haven't the slightest clue if it might be a girl or a boy- but I'm totally finding out I'm just so excited to know- I wish I knew now, but I know I'll have to wait a bit longer

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#51 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy, I have a feeling I'm having a boy and this is my first. Of course I could be totally wrong. I have a pretty good track record of just plain guessing for friends' babies: 8/10 correct. Also, the past 4 babies born to moms at my workplace have been girls, so we're guessing someone's got to have a boy, right? I don't really have a preference, just guessing that it is a boy.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#52 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM

I feel boy as well, but that could be because no girl names "sound" right yet, and we picked a boy name right away.

I have two of each and the pregs have all been different. My boys are MZ twins, so with that pregnancy I was terribly sick and had awful heartburn. With my next preg (girl) I was a little sick, no heartburn, felt totally psycho. Next pregnancy (girl) I wasn't sick at all, no heartburn, felt beyond totally psycho.

This pregnancy I am not sick at all, no heartburn, and do not feel psycho at all -- my dh even agrees! So I've got no idea.

I really look forward to the surprise of birth day!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#53 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Last time I thought it was a boy, and my husband thought a girl. But I'm pretty sure that was just because I had younger brothers and he had a younger sister, so that was just the gender of baby we could most easily imagine.

This time I have no idea. Though we already picked our girl name and love it, and are struggling with a boy name, so it would be easier if it was a girl!
#54 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
Also, the past 4 babies born to moms at my workplace have been girls, so we're guessing someone's got to have a boy, right? I don't really have a preference, just guessing that it is a boy.
When I was preggo with DD, we didn't find out the gender. There were 11 of us (friends and family) who had babies within 2 months of each other, and it seemed like EVERYONE was having girls. I got sort of downhearted, and convinced myself someone HAD to have a boy, and I was one of the last to deliver. But guess what? We went 11-for-11, girls! Crazy, huh? There must have been something in the water.....

#55 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM

We didn't find out last time. It was pretty exciting. Still I'm opting to find out this time so I can be more prepared.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#56 of 59 Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ein, that is crazy, 11/11 girls!

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#57 of 59 Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 AM

definitely finding out! for us last time it made us excited and anticipatory in a different, directed way to meet the new little person who's coming to join our family.
#58 of 59 Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
definitely finding out! for us last time it made us excited and anticipatory in a different, directed way to meet the new little person who's coming to join our family.
I agree! People in my family are saying it is like opening the gifts before Christmas (or peaking at the gifts, etc.) Ugh.
#59 of 59 Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
I agree! People in my family are saying it is like opening the gifts before Christmas (or peaking at the gifts, etc.) Ugh.
I think I said that earlier....sorry! That's just how DH and I feel.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page