Appointment thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, mamas! Post when you have your appointments here so we can send thoughts and warm wishes your way. And don't forget to post after your appointment so we know how things are going!

This week I have my first official OB physical tomorrow, 6/1. I'm nervous she won't hear the heartbeats. I'm also nervous because I'm putting my foot down and saying I don't want a Pap. I'm a good girl and have gotten one every single year since I turned 18, and I've never had a negative one yet. But I don't need the crampy stress of them poking around in there. They can do one at my 6 week post-baby check up.

On Thursday I have the T1 screen for nuchal translucency. I will freely admit that mostly the only reason I am having this done is because insurance will pay for it and it's a chance to see how the babies are doing. After 2 losses, I'm very paranoid.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love this idea! Thanks Annette.

My next appointment isn't until June 7th. Just a week away but it still feels like forever. I'll be 14w3d.
But, a week and a half ago I did go in for the 1st Tri screening test. I'm 37 and have had 3 m/c in a row - including one known trisomy - so there was no way (for me) I was going to be able to be zen and skip it. Overall it went quite well, and my risk is lower than I feared. It calmed me enough that I feel I can decline any invasive testing for now, and seeing a nice strong heartbeat (158) and a growing, wiggling babe did me a WORLD of good.

the bean!
face in profile
kicking leg!

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#3 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Your bean is gorgeous! Did you get the blood work along with the US?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Your bean looks great, Becca! Glad to hear things are looking good.

Annette, for heartbeats! I got a reminder for my annual in the mail from my OB. For now, I am planning a HB and hopefully won't even see the OB at all, but I'm sure they'l hassle me about it if I have to transfer care.

I have my 2nd appt (kind of an unofficial one) to just see if we can find the heartbeat b/c we couldn't last week. Everything else sounded good, but I really want to hear that beautiful, strong HB so for me too!

#5 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks!

Yes, I did do the blood work. I considered just doing the u/s, but I'm someone who generally wants info, so I decided to go ahead with the whole shebang.
They drew blood the same day they did the u/s (which was a Thurs) and the genetic counselor called me back with my combined results by Monday. They calculated my initial risk (just based on age & the known trisomy) to be very high, 1 in 55 for trisomy 21, but with the blood results and nuchal measurement it went down to 1 in 260, which for that lab is a negative - or 'good' - result.

I bet you'll get a lot of reassurance from doing it too. I know that nothing is ever certain, and that strength and peace can only be achieved from within, but still - we've been through a lot and I'll take the votes of confidence wherever I can find them!

#6 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 PM

Get this- I'm on a waiting list for an appointment (that's supposed to be this week).

I love my midwives. I've been with them for more than 7 years, 2 babies and an ectopic. Their care is incredible. Their increase in patient load over that time is frustrating! I'm just glad I'm not a first-timer, or I'd be even more frustrated.

I intend to do the NT ultrasound. There has been Downs in the family before, but mostly I want to officially rule out twins. I don't trust my 6wk us.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#7 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Great idea.

I'm having a homebirth but seeing an Ob every two months for a growth scan because of my weight-loss surgery. I haven't really had an "official" appt with my midwife, but I'm seeing the Ob on June 28. It will be the first of four scans in which I vow NOT to find out the sex! (This will be my first time not finding out. I'm excited.)

I'm really glad that this particular Ob is homebirth-tolerant, and has no problem with me refusing GBS, glucose, etc. All she wants is to do the scans and see my labs.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

That's really awesome that you found an OB who will support hospital birth.

Carrie, that's wild that you can't get in. I hope something opens up soon.

#9 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Here they only require a pap every 3 yrs even at kaiser.

My midwife appt. to hear the heartbeat with a doppler is June 11th. Right before we move.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#10 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM

I think the recommendations have been changed if you've never had an irregular pap -- I believe it's now 3-5 years.

I just looked it up:

Women in their 20’s should have a Pap smear every two years (assuming prior Pap smears have been normal)

Women age 30 and older who have had three consecutive normal Pap smears should have a Pap smear every three years.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh cool. I'm an old lady of 37, so I am good to go. At last, my advanced maternal age works to my advantage!

#12 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM

I've already had FOUR appointments (!) - one for a viability ultrasound due to spotting, one for a follow-up ultrasound (which the OB would've done anyway for dating), one to talk to a nurse about insurance (lame), and one for a Pap smear (but I also got to hear the heartbeat!) Whew...that's a lot for only a couple months.

But this Thursday I have the one I'm really freaking out about, the NT scan/screening bloodwork. My last pregnancy was with a baby with a fatal trisomy, so I feel like I'm actually being pretty laid-back by going for screening rather than jumping straight to CVS. I'm soooooooo scared. I can't sleep because I'm thinking about it so much.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#13 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 PM

My appointment is Friday and I'll have blood work drawn (AFI?) and then US for nuccal translucency the week after. I'm hoping they can get the heartbeat (I'll only be 12 weeks) and I can tell DD, 4.5 years old. She told me last week "Mom, you should really think about making a baby for me, because I would love it!"
#14 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

(((NoraFlood))) Pregnancy after a loss is so, so hard. I've had 4 US already and I don't feel one bit guilty. It's kept me sane to see the babies growing.

#15 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've got my first midwife appt on 6/8. I already had a blood draw and an u/s on Friday because of some bleeding going on. Luckily the baby was healthy and we couldn't see a reason for bleeding.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#16 of 98 Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
I've already had FOUR appointments (!) - one for a viability ultrasound due to spotting, one for a follow-up ultrasound (which the OB would've done anyway for dating), one to talk to a nurse about insurance (lame), and one for a Pap smear (but I also got to hear the heartbeat!) Whew...that's a lot for only a couple months.

But this Thursday I have the one I'm really freaking out about, the NT scan/screening bloodwork. My last pregnancy was with a baby with a fatal trisomy, so I feel like I'm actually being pretty laid-back by going for screening rather than jumping straight to CVS. I'm soooooooo scared. I can't sleep because I'm thinking about it so much.
Nora, I'll be thinking of you this Thursday. Sending you many peaceful vibes this week

#17 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM

I'll be 12 weeks this Wednesday. I see my midwife for the first time on June 8. I'm so hoping and praying for a good strong heartbeat!! I don't think I'll be able to breathe a bit easier until then since I had a worrisome issue over the weekend, but that seems to have cleared up!! Lets hope it stays that way. Come on heartbeat...

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#18 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHippie View Post
I'll be 12 weeks this Wednesday. I see my midwife for the first time on June 8. I'm so hoping and praying for a good strong heartbeat!! I don't think I'll be able to breathe a bit easier until then since I had a worrisome issue over the weekend, but that seems to have cleared up!! Lets hope it stays that way. Come on heartbeat...
I'm so glad it cleared up!

#19 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM

I have my next appointment on June 12; I'll be 14.5 weeks then, and hopefully my uterus will have un-tucked itself and we can hear the heartbeat! 3 weeks to wait, though; just hope DH can get off work to be there. He's a pilot in the Coast Guard, and their schedules are "erratic but unmovable"; unmovable at least by him.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#20 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Sending luck to everyone with appointments this week! My next appointment is June 10 (next Thursday), and I'll be almost 12 weeks, so hopefully we'll hear the heartbeat.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#21 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM

I have an appointment June 3 with the midwife. I am trying very hard to remind myself we probably will not hear the heartbeat but I know I will FREAK out if we don't. I am 10 weeks.

I am trying very hard to be zen this time around, but I am having a hard time going to sleep and that is affecting me....

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#22 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I went to my appointment today because that's what the reminder message said on my machine. I swear I heard Tuesday although I did book it for June 2nd. Which is tomorrow.

I blame it on preggo brain. Well, in less than 24 hours I will have completed my T1 ultrasound screening and had a visit with the CNM and informed them of my homebirth plan.

Waiting...waiting...waiting
#23 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry.swirl View Post
I blame it on preggo brain. Well, in less than 24 hours I will have completed my T1 ultrasound screening and had a visit with the CNM and informed them of my homebirth plan.

Waiting...waiting...waiting
Wow - that's a lot of exciting stuff in a day! Good luck tomorrow.

And lots of to everyone with appts in the next few days.

#24 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

My appointment is actually not until tomorrow. These babies are eating my brains.

#25 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
My appointment is actually not until tomorrow. These babies are eating my brains.
I'm so excited for you to see them again Annette! They're gonna be soooo cute!!

#26 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
6/12

Yes, a Saturday. It's a HB Midwife, she does her appts. I think it is Wed. evenings and Sat.

I'll pee in a cup, be measured, and hear a HB. We'll probably discuss the email I am about to send her asking about what to watch for if a NB has blood sugar issues. (my friend's sister just had her baby in hospital, she was born the 26th, released y/day, in NICU with blood sugar issues. At the hospital, obviously, they draw blood. I don't *think* the mom was g-diabetic or anything like that. Baby is fine now.)

should be fine. hopefully my BP is totally normal, not high like it was at first last time (I was stressed about discussing last birth's cervical lip issue...even considering whether to proceed with her for this birth based on how our conversation went. It went fine and BP was normal after that.)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#27 of 98 Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM

I've already had three appts: first was a viability scan at 6 weeks, then an appt w/midwives around 9 weeks, then appt w/high risk OB who works w/my midwives at 10 weeks, which also included a sono. We're going for the NT scan on June 9th, when I'll be one day short of 13 weeks. I wish I didn't need such frequent sonos but it's worth it to me for the peace of mind, esp now that I know how lucky I was that DD was born safely (I have a previously undiagnosed blood clotting disorder that caused a placental abruption at 35 wks and also caused IUGR).

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#28 of 98 Old 06-03-2010, 02:30 PM

I had my nuchal translucency scan today and it was great! NT is 1.7 mm and the nasal bone was present, which are both awesome signs. The baby was measuring 5 days ahead (and I am sure of my dates). It had a nice fast heart rate of 180 bpm, possibly in part due to the cup of coffee I had this morning. I still have to wait for my bloodwork to be done, and that is supposed to be ready by Monday. I feel really good about the ultrasound--it's such a big load off to know that everything looks normal. The genetic counselor was very surprised that we didn't go straight to CVS, based on our history. I am a believer in screening, though.

#29 of 98 Old 06-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Congrats on a great u/s NoraFlood!!

#30 of 98 Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Nora, that's great news about the u/s!! Glad you got good news

AFM, we heard the HB it took about 15-20 mins and all 3 of my MWs/apprentice MWs but they found my little bean hiding out in my pubic bone. I love that they were so persistent, they seriously rock! And one of them said I have strong ab muscles, so that may be why it took awhile to find...I feel really doughy so that was an awesome compliment lol My blood pressure is being really good too, so that's promising. My MW said around 28 weeks will be really crucial for me. I need to be sure I'm eating properly and doing what I need to do to keep my readings where they need to be. I have never thought this much about what to eat/how much to eat/etc in my whole life. It feels great. Even though my MW says 28 weeks is crucial, I'm anxious to get past 19 weeks b/c that is where I risked out of my birthing center with DS. So my pressures cooperate. I'm doing everything I can to make that happen!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page