When is your big ultrasound scheduled? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering if anyone already has their big level II ultrasound scheduled. They usually do the anatomy scan around 16-20 weeks and many of us are getting VERY close! Who is getting such an ultrasound and will you find out the sex? I am really impatient this time around to find out if we are having a boy or girl. Our u/s is scheduled for July 9th, so just a little over 3 weeks away.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#2 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Not scheduled yet. They won't do it until 19 weeks if you want to know sex, so that there isn't a chance of misinterpretation, and they don't schedule further out than two weeks, so I'll call in the middle of July to schedule.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#3 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine isn't scheduled, which I was thinking is kind of weird. My next appointment is 6/30, at which point I will be 17 weeks. I guess they'll schedule it then. I absolutely can't wait to find out. People keep saying "Don't you want to be surprised again?" Um... no. Twins was enough of a shocker, thank you.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Mine is scheduled for 18 weeks, also on July 9. We're still debating about out gender. We didn't know last time, but my husband really wants to know this time around. We'll see.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#5 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM

I just scheduled mine for August 5th. I'll be just shy of 21 weeks at that point!!

I cant wait to find out what this little one is!!!

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#6 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is scheduled for 18 weeks on June 30th. I had a real quick ultrasound last week just to peek at gender and the tech said she's almost positive of what it is, but DH wants to wait til the BIG ultrasound to make sure before we announce. Though I'd sneak in another quicky if I didn't worry about the ultrasound possibly having harmful effects. I've already had more than I probably should have cause I am a worrier and I can have one anytime at the clinic I work at. I'm trying to hold back. The BIG one on the 30th will be my last one unless there is a true medical need for more.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#7 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Not getting one. I LOVE suprises.
#8 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM

My MW wanted me to wait until 20 weeks so mine will be the week of July 20th- probably the 24th- it seems like FOREVER to wait though! We want to know the sex so badly!!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#9 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

I would not be having u/s -- if I wasn't pregnant after weight-loss surgery. Because of that, my surgeon wants to make sure the baby is growing appropriately (although he does not anticipate any problems).

So I'm having FOUR ultrasounds

It's going to kill me not to find out the sex, but I really want it to be a surprise, so I'm planning to wear a sleep mask and tell the OB several times not to tell me.

I think it's a boy.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebearsmama View Post
Not getting one. I LOVE suprises.
Same here!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#11 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM

My anatomy scan hasn't been scheduled yet, but the practice I go to is pretty strict about doing them right at 20 weeks, so I've got another 6 weeks or so to go. I would be happier not finding out sex, but I told my husband he could decide, and he wants to find out as of right now. Honestly, I care so much less about finding out/not finding out than about scanning for anomalies. I am actually terrified of the big ultrasound--I just keep worrying that there will be something really, really wrong that didn't show up on the 12-week scan.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#12 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 08:19 PM

We'll get one around 20 weeks to make sure there is not a physical reason to change our homebirth plans. I'm anticipating having it around the first week of August. We will not find out the gender, I vividly dreampt that it's a girl, I guess I'll find out in about 27 weeks!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#13 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Our anatomy scan will be done at 18 weeks on 7/14 at 7:45 am.
So excited, can you tell? Just a month away now!
#14 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post
Mine is scheduled for 18 weeks, also on July 9. We're still debating about out gender. We didn't know last time, but my husband really wants to know this time around. We'll see.
We will be 18 weeks and are getting our ultrasounds on the same day

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry.swirl View Post
Our anatomy scan will be done at 18 weeks on 7/14 at 7:45 am.
So excited, can you tell? Just a month away now!
I can tell! I'm counting down too....3w+4days

#15 of 62 Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
My anatomy scan hasn't been scheduled yet, but the practice I go to is pretty strict about doing them right at 20 weeks, so I've got another 6 weeks or so to go. I would be happier not finding out sex, but I told my husband he could decide, and he wants to find out as of right now. Honestly, I care so much less about finding out/not finding out than about scanning for anomalies. I am actually terrified of the big ultrasound--I just keep worrying that there will be something really, really wrong that didn't show up on the 12-week scan.
*HUGS* Try not to worry mama. I'm sure everything is perfectly fine

#16 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 AM

I'm not finding out the sex but I'm going to have an anatomy scan. I plan on asking at my appointment tomorrow if I can go ahead and schedule it soon. Unlike most of you, the ultrasound is a very stressful, anxious thing for me. If you can believe it, I have never had a good experience with one and I really hate dealing with mean, stupid techs! I was actually crying about this today because I have to have a breast u/s and a baby u/s and I don't want to do either. And I am a really laid back person so this is hard for me to deal with this anxiety! I wish I was excited like you guys.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#17 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine is scheduled for 18w2d on July 6th.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#18 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 AM

Anyone else NOT getting one?
I won't be, unless there's a medical need... i.e. - something is obviously delayed or I am very ill or something to that effect.
Otherwise, I'll just be patiently waiting till the end to find out!

If my midwife were to suspect twins or if I were large for dates, I would get one after waiting at least 4 weeks to see if it was just a big growth spurt of one baby. I would not want my midwife to have the burden of trying to care for me and two babies without the advantage of having another midwife or assistant on call for me for sure.

Other than that, I'm content to just wait and grow this baby.

I really feel badly about the anxiety a lot of moms seem to derive from all the testing and u/s and such. It seems that there is very little relaxing and just letting your body grow your baby. If you're a healthy woman with no other considerations - like doomayula's weightloss surgery concerns - why would you imagine there was something wrong or something potentially wrong?
It feels like there is way too much fear and trepidation around all these tests, which almost always turn out normal... hence a lot of anxiety for nothing....
I'm not trying to be mean, quite the opposite. It's concerning that there is so much fear swirling around what seem to be quite normal pregnancies.
Anyone care to comment?
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#19 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure how we're going to work this. Basically, I don't want any more u/s; I only had the one to make sure the baby was still alive, since we got scary news at my first appt.

DH wants to find out the sex. I don't want to know anything else. Not sure how we're going to explain this to the midwives...

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#20 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post
I really feel badly about the anxiety a lot of moms seem to derive from all the testing and u/s and such. It seems that there is very little relaxing and just letting your body grow your baby. If you're a healthy woman with no other considerations - like doomayula's weightloss surgery concerns - why would you imagine there was something wrong or something potentially wrong?
It feels like there is way too much fear and trepidation around all these tests, which almost always turn out normal... hence a lot of anxiety for nothing....
I'm not trying to be mean, quite the opposite. It's concerning that there is so much fear swirling around what seem to be quite normal pregnancies.
Anyone care to comment?
- Jen
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am healthy and young and have lost two pregnancies. In my last pregnancy, the baby had trisomy 18, a fatal genetic syndrome which is very rare in women my age (28 at the time). I never for a moment suspected anything was wrong and had a wonderful pregnancy. If I had not had screening performed, I would have given birth to a dead or dying baby, and been completely blindsided.

I am again having a very normal, healthy pregnancy so far, but I know now that that doesn't mean everything is okay, and I am having screening and ultrasounds for the sake of reassurance. Yes, I worry a lot beforehand, but that is a small price to pay for a little smidgen of peace of mind once the testing is done.

I do think that many women worry a lot, and yeah, most of the time the worry is unnecessary and everything is fine. But, sorry, sometimes everything isn't fine, even if you're young and healthy and things are going great. Some people don't want to know, and that's fine, that's their choice. But I don't think it is unreasonable to want to know with as much certainty as possible whether your baby is going to live or not.

So, that's my point of view on it. I do worry prior to every ultrasound and every blood draw, but I would worry a WHOLE lot more if I weren't getting any testing done at all.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#21 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 AM

I'm 13 weeks tomorrow, so nothing is scheduled yet. I may push to have it done on the early side since I'd really like them to tell me they aren't able to make out the sex clearly enough to share. Dh wants to know, and I know I'll give in if they say it's clear.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#22 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM

well Jen, to comment on your thoughts, it's not the testing of the baby that makes me anxious. I know that everything is most likely fine and normal and I'm only doing one because this time around I want to verify that all the important parts are there and working before my homebirth. For example, I would rather know if there is a heart defect before the birth so that we aren't dealing with a great birth but then a scary transfer for unknown problems right after pushing out my baby! The anxiety I have is about being treated poorly by the ultrasound tech and them giving me a stupid attitude. In spite of having all of my previous five u/s done at different places and by different people, I have still had a range of annoying to down right traumatizing experiences. So by now I don't expect it to be anything but unpleasant. I'm not sure what else I can do so I'm going to just suck it up and get it done quickly. I feel this is important to me to do. Besides, I have to get a breast u/s done too. That I'm not comfortable putting off because it is important that I take care of my health for myself and my children.

just my 2 cents.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#23 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM

I will get my radiology slip for it at my next appointment (I'll be almost 16 weeks), so it will be sometime between 18-20 weeks.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#24 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM

I am thinking mine will be scheduled, after my OB appt next week. Because of my history, my OB sends me to a high risk clinic for the US. We wont be finding out hte sex, and the US techs LOVE that. LOL Everyone wants to know these days, and they love not having to tell me what baby is. I am 13 weeks now, i I guess i will be having the US around 18 weeks or so. I think that is when i have always had my level 2.

I would not have an ultrasound, but i want to know if there is something we need to prepare for. I like to see the baby, but really, i think all US look alike, so i am contgent to look at US pics online. I really only do this for medical reasons.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#25 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 PM

For my first pregnancy I did this, but since then I have never had an ultrasound for the sole purpose of finding out the gender. I'm not against them or anything, I just don't like going in for ultrasounds.

With my second, I had an ultrasound to determine dates because I was pretty sure of my conception date but my doctor didn't agree with me. It turned out he was right. By my LMP date my EDD was March 3 but after the ultrasound it was reset at January 28. My baby was born on January 19 and looked like she was full-term. I'm glad I had that ultrasound, otherwise I would have been in a panic when my water broke over a month before my EDD...it was shocking enough that it was two weeks "early."I had a second ultrasound with her because the radiologist thought her legs looked a little short and they wanted to make sure they were growing properly.

With my third I went in for cramping at about 12w but it was too early to see the gender even if I had wanted to. That was my only u/s for that pregnancy.

I hadn't planned on getting one for my fourth pregnancy but my midwife was starting to suspect possible twins, so I had one. I didn't want to find out the gender but he made it pretty obvious!

In my last pregnancy I had zero ultrasounds except for the one I had at the hospital when I went into premature labor. I don't know if an ultrasound would have revealed any problems that may have given me an opportunity to have steroid shots or get on bedrest and prevent all the time my baby was hospitalized after birth, but we have decided to have ultrasounds during this pregnancy in order to keep an eye on things. I am planning an HBAC and if there are problems, I want to know about it before I go through with a birth at home. I have had one ultrasound already to determine dates because there were two possible conception dates a month apart, and I plan to have at least one more in a few weeks to look for problems and probably find out the gender. I have been surprised twice and I've found out three times. Both ways are good...and I have a lot to knit, so I'd like to know what color to use.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#26 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Mine is on July 28th at 9am - can't wait! I will be one day shy of 20 weeks at that point. We are going to take DD to the appointment, so that will make it extra special

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#27 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM

My husband was for getting one done, so I just scheduled mine for July 15th. I'll be 19 wks 2 days since LMP, so hopefully we can see gender.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#28 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM

July 15th. I'll be 20 weeks.

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#29 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 PM

I'd like to find out before my vacation but I'll only be 16 weeks and 2 days (they only schedule the ultrasound on Thursdays I think.) The might schedule them on Tuesdays too and then I could do it at 17 weeks. Otherwise I have to wait until we return when I'll be 19 weeks. I just really want to know the sex.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#30 of 62 Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm debating getting another u/s. I had one done early on because I was having pains on one side and thought it might be an ectopic pg. I feel the normal fear that I think everyone does about the baby not being healthy, but I also don't like so many interventions in pregnancy, and I see u/s as being a definite intervention.

My last ob appointment is this Friday, and then I'm traveling and moving, and then we hope to find a midwife, but we aren't planning on settling down til I'm 6 months along. So... all that to say, this friday is my last chance for awhile, and I don't know if I'll get one! We're def. not finding out the sex though, I guess this one would just be to screen the babe and make sure everything seems ok.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page