Exercise Accountability Group! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 96 Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies!

So as I mentioned in the other thread, I have the desire to get at least 3 work-outs in weekly and really start doing yoga, but I have a very hard time gettin my big caboose off the couch. The only thing that has been really effective in the past was when someone was counting on me to get my workouts done and we kind of had an agreement with each other.

So please join this group if you would like to work out regularly and would benefit from the group accountability! I think the thread works best if we post regularly- I'd personally be so motivated seeing each time someone is getting their workout in for the day- it will really help get me on that treadmill I hope I am not the only one who needs that extra push from my other pregger friends

If you would like to join us, in your first post, please let us know how often you will be working out each week so we know how to check-in with you and if you would like to specify the type or amount of exercise, feel free to get as detailed as you like!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#2 of 96 Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

So I'll start us off

I would like to get in 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week. I would like at least one of those to be yoga.

Ultimately I'd like to do more, but since I haven't worked out in 4 months, I am starting slow

#3 of 96 Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 PM

I'll join!

I'd like to get 5 workouts in a week, primarily p90x videos. It's SO nice to be able to do it in my own home, DS LOVES to do them with me, and it's easy to even do them after the kids get to bed if the day has been particularly crazy.

I'll actually take this time to stop procrastinating and go do my Arms video now!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#4 of 96 Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 PM

I'm in.

Because of my fibro, I have to be very very careful not to overdo it. However, I also NEED to be active so my muscles don't atrophy and so my insulin resistance doesn't worsen and become GD. My "exercise" wont look much like exercise, but consistency is the key to wellness, in my case.

Ideally, I would like to do water walking twice a week, and the rest of the weekdays play with my kids in the pool from 3-4. I have a light cardio/ strength training routine that I also want to do twice a week, but need to figure out if my kids will tolerate childwatch at the gym or if I need to go in early, before dh goes to work.

So my tentative plan for next week:
Tomorrow- 10 am treadmill OR swim
Sat- swim @ 9am
Sun- cardio/ strength training
Mon- swim/ water play @ 3
Tues- Tentative Water Walking/ Swimming @1 (Need to reserve child watch)
Wed- Swim @ 3 if the weather is awful, park day (some walking) if it is beautiful out
Thurs- Tentative Water Walking/ Swimming @1 (Need to reserve child watch)
Fri- swim/ water play @ 3

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#5 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo- thanks for joining Laura! Look at you with your schedule! That's awesome! I am such a control freak that the minute I make a schedule I rebel against it (I know, I am so crazy).

Can't wait to hear how your workout goes tomorrow!

#6 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Just finished my workout for tonight! Thanks for this post!! Arms & Shoulders down!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#7 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysQueen View Post
Just finished my workout for tonight! Thanks for this post!! Arms & Shoulders down!
You Rock Andysqueen! (Hey- what is your first name?)

You have inspired me- I will defintiely work out today and post when I am finished!

Woohooooo!!!

#8 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Yea, strength in numbers!

I would like to walk at least 30 minutes for 3x/week and do 2 yoga prenatal videos per week.

I am not going to get crazy here. Just focused on not gaining more than 30 lbs and building stamina. I do need to add in some upper body stuff because my arms were exhausted after labor with DD.

Does anyone one have recommendations?
#9 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm in. At least I'll try to be. It will help to have other people to be accountible to. I plan to workout tonight, which will make my 2nd workout this week. I last worked out on Mon.

I usually aim to do 25-30 mins on the eliptical, some stretching, some lunges with light weights and then I usually do the some machine work for the inner and outter thighs (abductor/inductor? I can't remember) and I need to add in something for my arms. I would also like to get a prenatal yoga video that I can do maybe once or twice a week at home.
#10 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy912 View Post
Woohoo- thanks for joining Laura! Look at you with your schedule! That's awesome! I am such a control freak that the minute I make a schedule I rebel against it (I know, I am so crazy).

Can't wait to hear how your workout goes tomorrow!

I used to be the same way. The thing is... With 4 kids, their activities (and soon to be therapies), plus the gym schedule, plus naps and meals... If I don't know WHEN I will work out, I wont do it. Sad but true. So I schedule it in, and do my best. (Plus, if I want to use the Childwatch room, I have to make a reservation in advance so they have enough staff. They still charge if I don't call and cancel before my slot!)

Anyway, it's 8am here, so I need to rouse my children and start our day.

#11 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You Rock Andysqueen! (Hey- what is your first name?)

You have inspired me- I will defintiely work out today and post when I am finished!

Woohooooo!!!
My name is Jamie! I used to have a siggy, not sure where that went. I'll have to update it.

Plyometrics for me later today, then work from 6-9 (waiting tables on a HOT patio - a workout in itself!).

Jamie * Andy's Queen
#12 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry.swirl View Post
Yea, strength in numbers!

I would like to walk at least 30 minutes for 3x/week and do 2 yoga prenatal videos per week.

I am not going to get crazy here. Just focused on not gaining more than 30 lbs and building stamina. I do need to add in some upper body stuff because my arms were exhausted after labor with DD.

Does anyone one have recommendations?
Are you asking for arm strength exercise recommendations? If so, I have some hand weights (I actually have a few different sets- but you can get away with just one pair)

I do bicep curls, shoulder presses (think resting weights in your hands on top of your shoulders and pushing straight up to the sky), and tricep curls behind my head. They are simple and if you just do as many reps as you can with good form, working your way up to 2-3 sets.

Also, WELCOME!! I really like your plan and want to work my way up to exercising more than 3 times a week.

#13 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyleed View Post
I'm in. At least I'll try to be. It will help to have other people to be accountible to. I plan to workout tonight, which will make my 2nd workout this week. I last worked out on Mon.

I usually aim to do 25-30 mins on the eliptical, some stretching, some lunges with light weights and then I usually do the some machine work for the inner and outter thighs (abductor/inductor? I can't remember) and I need to add in something for my arms. I would also like to get a prenatal yoga video that I can do maybe once or twice a week at home.
WELCOME CINDY! I think that sounds great! Be sure to check in tonight once you are done so we can all give you virtual high-fives!

#14 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just completed my first official prenatal yoga video! It went by a lot quicker than I expected- it was called Yoga for Your Pregnancy- it actually has several different options and I chose the 30 minutes "strengthen and Energize" routine.

Anyways- a big thank you Jamie (not me, Andy's Jamie ), Laura, Cindy, and Rasberry because there's no way I would have done yoga on my lunch break without this thread and without my accountabilibuddies!

#15 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 02:51 PM

Hi! My goal is continue to work out 5 - 6 days per week.

For me, this looks like 30 min. of more intense cardio on the elliptical or "air walker" and then sometimes another 15 min. fast walking on the treadmill 2 - 3 days per week.

1 day per week is a fast, 45 min. walk on the treadmill

The other 2 - 3 days per week are swimming laps. I'm not fast, but I usually do one of two routines...my mile swim, or my 45 min. arms/back focus swim. I LOVE having a really muscular back! Today was a focus swim.

Because of the swimming, I don't do any targeted work with weights.

I do, however, need to add in yoga...I think I'll start with a goal of 1 day per week, outside of class (if I ever do get myself to a class!)

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#16 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 PM

I did my cardio/ strength training circuit today. I hope I don't pay tomorrow.

#17 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Hi! I'd like to join your thread. I have been into fitness my whole lfe, but pregnancy seems to change that for me, especially when I feel like crap all the time. I am shooting to workout 4-5 times a week. I like to do a mix of weights, yoga and riding the bike.

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#18 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 10:28 PM

I just finished a weight training workout followed with some yoga. Nausea is back in full force, so I didn't get the intensity that I would have liked, but I can only do what I can do!

#19 of 96 Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

First of all- WELCOME to Emily and Jessica!!! So excited to have you guys join the group!

Also- WAY TO GO to Jessica for getting a workout in despite the nausea- that is definitely an accomplishment in itself!

Great job to Laura too!

Look at all of us gettin' workouts in on Frida1- we rock!!

Keep up the great work ladies- if you work out this weekend, be sure to check in so we can tell you how awesome you are!!

#20 of 96 Old 06-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks Jamie! I am going to check out your prenatal yoga dvd. I have one, but it is isn't challenging enough for me until I am like 7 months along.

#21 of 96 Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 PM

20 minutes on the bike for me today

#22 of 96 Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpsgurl View Post
Thanks Jamie! I am going to check out your prenatal yoga dvd. I have one, but it is isn't challenging enough for me until I am like 7 months along.
I'm not sure how challenging you will find it. Honestly, I didn't sweat or anything- It was a challenge to me only because I literally haven't worked out in 4 months.

Good luck!!!

#23 of 96 Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
20 minutes on the bike for me today
Awesome! Hey- do you ride outside? Or do you have a bike at home? gym?

#24 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hello ladies- here are the mamas that I have on my list for this group so far:
-Me (Jamie- Happy912)
-Jamie (AndysQueen)
-Laura (Laurata)
-Rasberry.swirl (do I know your name yet?!? sorry- preggo brain)
-Cindy (cindyleed)
-wholewheatchick (Emily)
-Jessica (jwpsgurl)

I figured it was arbitrary which day we actually "staretd" our week- so I figured, why not Monday, since that is the start of the work week

It's too bad too because I walked 30 minutes today!

Anyhoo, I believe my goal was the smallest with working out 3 times this next week- most of you plan for 4-5 days, so let's get crackalackin! That means that if you aren't posting Monday, you better plan a Tuesday workout!

Cant' wait to see you all check in with your workouts of empowerment

#25 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Sorry group...I'm terrible about getting on line on the weekends at home. I'm on the computer so much during the workweek I neglect it at home.

But I did manage to get in a good work out on Friday night. I'm planning on getting to the gym tonight also. Hopefully I can make it 3x this week, since I only went twice last week. I had a good work out on Friday though and even added some arm stregthening exercizes to my routine!

Also, I'm sure everyone else here listens to some kind of music while working out. I have an Ipod shuffle. It's plenty for me cause I usually only use it for workouts. Anyways, my first workout of last week I forgot it at home. My workout dragged and was so hard and I barely thought I would make it all 30 mins on the eliptical. So on friday I made sure to remember my ipod and my g-d was my workout so much more energized and invigorating. Music makes such a huge difference for me!
#26 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Boo! I didn't make it to the gym at all this weekend, I was too worn out. I have high hopes of taking the kids to the pool this afternoon though.

Good job everyone, keep at it!

#27 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Hey- do you ride outside? Or do you have a bike at home? gym?
We have a stationary bike, it is way too hot for me this time of year outside (104 today)! We have a pretty good gym set up with a smith machine, cables, squat rack/pull-up bar and 5-100 lb dumbbells. DH and I both find fitness very important but the gym is way to inconvenient with 2 littles and him working shift work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FubXyjzzXZ...0/DSC00500.JPG

#28 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
We have a stationary bike, it is way too hot for me this time of year outside (104 today)! We have a pretty good gym set up with a smith machine, cables, squat rack/pull-up bar and 5-100 lb dumbbells. DH and I both find fitness very important but the gym is way to inconvenient with 2 littles and him working shift work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FubXyjzzXZ...0/DSC00500.JPG
Wow. That's your home gym? Pretty nice set up!
#29 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM

Today I swam 1 mile, but I am taking tomorrow "off" and am going to a 90 min. prenatal yoga class instead of an aerobic workout. I am excited about the yoga class! Wed. should be another swim day, I think.

Oh yeah: DH and I rode our bikes to my prenatal appt. today, but since the birth center is only like 1 mile from my house, it was nothing impressive; just nice to get outside (the weather was 1/2 way decent today)

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#30 of 96 Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Also, I'm sure everyone else here listens to some kind of music while working out. I have an Ipod shuffle. It's plenty for me cause I usually only use it for workouts. Anyways, my first workout of last week I forgot it at home. My workout dragged and was so hard and I barely thought I would make it all 30 mins on the eliptical. So on friday I made sure to remember my ipod and my g-d was my workout so much more energized and invigorating. Music makes such a huge difference for me!
Working out is a total chore for me without music!

Quote:
Wow. That's your home gym? Pretty nice set up!
Yes. We are very thankful to have the space

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
Today I swam 1 mile, but I am taking tomorrow "off" and am going to a 90 min. prenatal yoga class instead of an aerobic workout. I am excited about the yoga class! Wed. should be another swim day, I think.
Have fun at your yoga class. I would be excited, too!

Today, I did a leg workout with weights, some body weight exercises and stretching.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page