~*Weekly Chat Thread for the Week of June 27 - July 3~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey mamas! I'm starting the new chat thread in Cathy's honor.

We just had our weekly tradition of looking at a site about how babies grow in the womb, reading in our week by week book, and listening to the babies on the doppler. Even Daniel stayed this time. He usually runs away because he says the babies are too loud. I keep telling him, wait until they're here, LOL!

I'm 17 weeks today. I really super popped out in the past day or so too. It's crazy. I keep telling myself it's only natural because I have twice the baby and twice the placenta and twice the amniotic fluid in there. Still... sigh.

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. I've never met this particular doc. After this, I'm hoping to just stick with the midwives.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For Cathy

I am feeling ok. Still days where I feel so low on energy. I can feel the baby from the outside now! Not every movement, but the bigger ones you can def. feel. DH has to have his hands practically down my pants to feel it though, baby is low

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Annette, I love that you have your weekly ritual! What a great way to get the family involved.

Today's excitement???

FEELING THE BABY MOVE!!

Ahh, it was so cool. Last night (and once a week or so ago) I felt a light "something" on the left side of my tummy...but Im still not sure if that was just gas or if it was the baby. I have no doubts about what I felt today. It was very shortly after my lunch break, and I had just recently gotten back to my desk. I was sipping on my (caffeine free) pepsi from lunch and I felt just the tiniest "bump" from inside. I really dont know how exactly to describe it. It was on my right side of my tummy, and felt like what I would imagine a popcorn kernel would feel like if it popped in my tummy. Or kinda like what it might feel like if someone lightly flicked me from the inside. Just once, and just a little one, and then nothing since.

I asked my midwife in passing if she thought it could be the baby I was feeling this early, and she seemed to think it totally sounded like what early movement feels like!! Ive been on cloud 9 for the rest of the day. I called Matt, I called my mom, I called my favorite aunt to tell her....SO exciting.

My baby moves!!

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#4 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 PM

Hiya! I've had to remove a post from this thread.

As a quick FYI, your DDC moderator, To-Fu, had her baby and is babymooning. Our Administrators, abimommy & AdinaL, are always available and oversee all of MDC's forums, so just shoot them a PM if you need something.

Thanks for your patience!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#5 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM

This is my first time joining in one of these on here...

I'm doing ok, but we've all had colds here lately and it's draining me. I got tonsillitis but I think I've managed to beat it with gargling apple cider vinegar. My daughter turns 6 tomorrow, and we are planning a zoo day. I hope I feel well enough to hold out...I want the day to be special for her.

I'm loving feeling all the kicks and flutters. It's weird, when I'm in the bath and I lie on my tummy, i swear I feel two big lumps and not just one. Could it be a really large placenta? I feel most movement on my left side, but there's a lump on the right side too, almost as big as the baby. And my uterus is above my belly button already. I guess since I've given birth 5 times now, it gets bigger faster every time..feels like it's huge though.

This is my favorite stage of pregnancy, where the first trimester is easing off and I'm not too uncomfortable yet. I'm trying to just enjoy it all.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#6 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 AM

Welcome, FSG!

I'm feeling pretty good -- except for the heat. Where I live (SE) is experiencing unusual heat and I feel like an oven. I'm small, and I don't remember feeling this miserable last summer, so I blame Tax Deduction. I'm hotttttttttttttt.

I still nap every afternoon, and if I wait too long I wake up sweating -- my bedroom windows face west and as the sun goes down, my room heats up.

I think we have a girl name: Avalon.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#7 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 AM

Only a week till my first appointment...I'm hoping it goes really well! I'll be 15+ weeks, so we should be able to hear the heart beat no problemo.

It's back to work today. Boo. My new worst enemy: suctioning tracheostomies. Ick and double ick. I was heaving and nearly lost my breakfast AND lunch today.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#8 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Welcome FSG!

I think I might have felt the baby move today! 15.5 weeks along. Still not sure I believe it was really the baby though, so I didn't tell my husband.

I just planned to meet my other mom friends to take my toddler to baby swim tomorrow morning. I haven't told any of them I'm pregnant yet, and wasn't planning to until after my appointment on Wednesday. And I just realized my belly will be absolutely impossible to hide in a swimsuit! Oops. I think I will just go and not worry about it, and if I start a rumor, oh well - it's only a day until I confirm the rumor.
#9 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Even with last week's cleaning, we are still down 2 library DVD's (happy to hear anyone's craziest-place-they've found a DVD)

Swimming all the time and loving it.

And today....I got a......ALMOST felt on the outside baby kick to the middle of the belly!!!!

(I'm probably about the farthest along here, edd 11/29 but with one a week late last time due 10/31 I am not going to make the mistake I did then and not be on both DDC's after my 9 days pre-EDD dd I thought I would NEVER go over )

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#10 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 04:28 AM

welcome FSG! Jess, I feel your pain! I cant stand suctioning on a regular day - let alone with pregnancy hormones going on!

I am feeling pretty good with lots of baby movement. The news is out at work, especially today since I had to decline to take care of someone with a serious infectious disease. I suppose I can't really hide it anymore anyway. My next appointment is in about 2 weeks and my u/s in a month. But I do feel huge!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#11 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 AM

Hello everyone-

I am nervous about my MW appt today. I am 15w4d and have not felt movement. That's not necessarily abnormal for this stage of pregnancy, although I remember feeling movement earlier with the others. What worries me, though, is that when I'm feeling around for the baby (eight times a day ) I can definitely find a large lump, and every once in a while I feel a little knob that might be a knee or an elbow. When I press on one of those little bumps, nothing happens. Usually when I'm pregnant and I find a bump, I push on it and the baby pushes back, or I can feel the baby moving away. That's not happening this time and it makes me nervous. Hopefully I'll be back later with good news - I know that hearing a heartbeat would erase all of this anxiety. I will be at my appointment with my other five children and I'm praying that we hear a heartbeat, because I don't want them to find out with me that the baby did not survive. I'm probably getting worked up over nothing (I hope) but such is my mental state during the second trimester before I feel movement. Sigh.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#12 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Nova Perhaps the placenta is the lump you feel, if it's round the front you won't feel movement until later. There's still plenty time yet to feel movement. And you might just have a sleepy baby with a more content personality. My more content babies weren't as active in the womb either. I hope you get the reassurance you need today.

Hmmm strangest places I've found a library DVD were under my kids' bed and behind the fridge.

#13 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post
Nova Perhaps the placenta is the lump you feel, if it's round the front you won't feel movement until later. There's still plenty time yet to feel movement. And you might just have a sleepy baby with a more content personality. My more content babies weren't as active in the womb either. I hope you get the reassurance you need today.

Hmmm strangest places I've found a library DVD were under my kids' bed and behind the fridge.
Thank you for that. I'm hoping it's the placenta, too. My last baby was very mellow in the womb and is to this day our most content child, happy to be put down for a nap or to play. Maybe I lucked out with two content babies in a row.

Behind the fridge...that's a new one! I find our Netflix DVDs in very odd places too but there has never been one there. They have however been found in children's books (being used as a bookmark), pinned to the wall (??) and in sock drawers. To make room for the movies in the sock drawer, the socks were cleverly moved to the toy box. And the toys were tossed all over the room as if by tornado. Never a dull moment!

#14 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Thinking of you today, Nova. Im sure your appointment will go well today. Maybe this belly baby of yours is just a mellow little bean. Im 15.2 and although Im just starting to feel movement, most of the time when I poke my lump just stays put. LOL

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#15 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Welcome FSG! I hope your appt goes well today, Nova. I could swear that I felt baby last night, but I am not even 15 w yet, so I could just be imagining things, lol! I have had a splitting headache for 2 days and DH suggested that I might need some caffeine. I just caved and drank a half of a sugar free red bulll and it is all but gone. I've never had caffeine withdrawal during pregnancy, so this is a first for me. I am counting the days until we move to WA, but this AZ heat is KILLING me right now!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#16 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM

My week- dh working the night shift for a project all week. Which means he's putting a kink in our days by trying to sleep in our little house.

I'm 15 weeks tomorrow!

Ds's homeschool eval is this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Everything is due to the district tomorrow, and we may be late if our evaluator is (understandably) unable to write her report almost instantaneously. All that waiting for test results really messed up my schedule, and I have no clue how my superintendent is going to react.

Hoping to take all 4 kids to the pool tomorrow, which is a project in and of itself with my dare devils. At least I don't have to hold my stomach in!

DD#2 officially turns 7 on Thursday and wants to have lunch at McDonalds. Just the thought of McDonalds makes me feel icky.

I got a good, swift kick last night! There have been questionable flutters for a while, but I do have an anterior placenta (CVS done front and center!) There was no mistaking this one though. Hoping for more soon!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#17 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

peaceful_mama, I hear you. We're missing two of the Penderwick CDs and a book. GAH!

It's so weird for me to be at the front end of the due date club. Most of my kids have end of the month birthdays, and with twins, I'll actually be surprised if I make it until December 6. Or December even, LOL!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#18 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM

MyFullHouse - Sometimes I have had to go to McDonald's for reasons beyond my control and I'd try to get something healthy like a salad or fruit and nuts...nope...it all tastes like Yuck. Good luck!

MW appointment went fine...heartbeat was 150bpm

#19 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
MyFullHouse - Sometimes I have had to go to McDonald's for reasons beyond my control and I'd try to get something healthy like a salad or fruit and nuts...nope...it all tastes like Yuck. Good luck!

Yay! SO happy to hear

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#20 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

Yay!

#21 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time joining the weekly chat and I am happy to be here.

My husband and I are expecting our first baby December 19th and are very excited.

The Bad News
This week I am nervous that I haven't felt the baby (not sure what's going on in there) and anxious about my check in appointment tomorrow. Mostly I feel extremely fat, tired, overwhelmed, unprepared, grateful, and hungry.
My husband has tonsillitis and needs a lot of care, we also have a puppy who needs care. Right now I am thanking god that we don't have any other children yet (because I don't think I could take care of one more thing).

The Good News
I've definitely reached the nesting stage, which for me means when I'm not sleeping I'm cleaning, cooking, and organizing like a mad woman. I joined Motivated Moms and am hoping the chore schedule will help me to stay on top of everything.

The Reality Check
I have to say despite the exhaustion and anxiety, after reading Cathy's farewell I was reminded of just how much I have to be grateful for. My heart goes out to you and your family Cathy and I am praying for your healing.

Wishing you all a wonderful week.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#22 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci&Granola View Post
My husband has tonsillitis and needs a lot of care, we also have a puppy who needs care.
If it helps, I get tonsillitis a few times a year. I recently managed to heal extra early from a bout of it by gargling apple cider vinegar. It was gross, but it really helped. Can't hurt to try, right?

#23 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Gucci&Granola, I'm glad you're here on the chat thread!

#24 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post
If it helps, I get tonsillitis a few times a year. I recently managed to heal extra early from a bout of it by gargling apple cider vinegar. It was gross, but it really helped. Can't hurt to try, right?
Hello FSG and thanks for the advice. I think we are desperate enough at this point to try anything (and vinegar gargling sounds like a small price to pay). Like you, my husband seems to have particularly sensitive tonsils. When he gets sick they almost always swell and get irritated. Our family utilizes natural medicine and I would like to pinpoint some underlying cause for this that may indicate chronic internal health issues (allergies? vitamin or mineral deficiencies? weak organ systems?).

Wishing you good health and happy healthy tonsils

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#25 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
This week I am nervous that I haven't felt the baby (not sure what's going on in there) and anxious about my check in appointment tomorrow. Mostly I feel extremely fat, tired, overwhelmed, unprepared, grateful, and hungry.
With my first I did not get to hear the heartbeat with dopplar until 16 weeks, and could not feel movement until 22 weeks. The OB explained that where he implanted made it difficult to hear/feel, and that those things would come with time. I hope you get to feel movement soon! So sorry you're having a rough time!

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#26 of 39 Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Hello FSG and thanks for the advice. I think we are desperate enough at this point to try anything (and vinegar gargling sounds like a small price to pay). Like you, my husband seems to have particularly sensitive tonsils. When he gets sick they almost always swell and get irritated. Our family utilizes natural medicine and I would like to pinpoint some underlying cause for this that may indicate chronic internal health issues (allergies? vitamin or mineral deficiencies? weak organ systems?).

Wishing you good health and happy healthy tonsils
Yes, that's exactly it for me too. My family gets a cold, they'll cough and snuffle and maybe have a day in bed. When it gets round to me my tonsils completely overreact and I end up having 3 days in bed, completely miserable. I used to get it every few months, but now it's just 2-3 times a year, so it's getting better...I compare it to DH's allergy to pollen. His body overreacts to something otherwise not terribly harmful.

If he tries the gargling, make sure it's apple cider vinegar, not just any old vinegar.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. Continue with pregnancy talk everybody....

#27 of 39 Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Today's accomplishments:

Many hours spent in the water with children.

Many kicks felt from the BellyBean.

One fridge and one upright deep freeze pulled out and swept under. STILL NO DVD's!!!!!

Got those renewed till the 6th. DH will be home the 4th so he can help....
I do have one more hope...the kids' book collection cabinets on the entertainment center.

After that I SERIOUSLY do not know. like I said, mattresses were checked under, sheets changed, dresser pulled out of closet, drawers emptied and organized......all toy containers checked. NADA!!! All living room furniture also checked under.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#28 of 39 Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Oh my gosh peaceful! How frustrating! My little one loves to carry movies (especially new library ones) around with him. I have found them outside on more than one occasion. We also have a movie player in the van and they work their way out there if that's an option for you. The only other place I can think of is under or in couches, I find loads of random stuff there! Good luck!!!!

FSG, welcome! Glad to see you actively join the group!

Anouk, I completely agree, an anterior or front placenta makes it difficult to feel the baby's movement. My first was that way as well.

G&G, you're 15 weeks right? Try not to worry, most women don't feel their first baby until at least 17 weeks and many not until 20. It's so frustrating to be at the inbetween stage where you aren't feeling all the 1st trimester stuff, but you don't feel the baby yet either. I had a really hard time with that part with my first. I hope it goes by quickly and you start feeling movement soon!! I also hope your DH starts feeling better soon!

Nova22, so glad for you!!

FullHouse, my DH worked overnights for a while, it is a hard adjustment for a family with kids! I hope it doesn't have to last too long. I hope your HS eval went well! Yay for swift kicks!

jwpsgurl, caffine withdrawl stinks. I had it early on when I was feeling very adversive to anything with caffine. Now I'm back to having a pop once a day. Yay for kicks!

Shoot, gotta run, sorry I didn't get to more people, but I did read!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#29 of 39 Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from my appointment. It was awesome, and I will post about it in the appointment thread.

I have my big ultrasound in three weeks. YAY!

#30 of 39 Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 PM

I have my anatomy scan in an hour and a half. I am BEYOND nervous, you guys. Please send happy thoughts!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page