Dizzy-queasy? Almost passing out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My morning sickness (which had never been severe) waned sometime between 10 and 11 weeks. I'm at 15w5d now, and for the last week or two I've had this strange experience...

Whenever I have to stand for more than a minute or two I start to feel my legs go a bit weak. I feel slightly queasy and dizzy and my heart starts to feel like its pounding. On one or two occasions these feelings progressed to almost passing out -- where I felt clammy, heard rushing in my ears, and my vision started to blur/fade a bit.

I haven't actually passed out, because I try to sit down or lie down as quickly as possible. When I do, the dizziness and such goes away pretty quickly. The queasiness also fades, though more slowly.

I'm going to see my midwife this week and I'll certainly ask her then, but has anyone had this experience? Any thoughts? Advice?

It happens whether I'm out in hot sun or indoors in A/C, at different times of day, and whether I've eaten or not. My first thought was dehydration but I feel like I'm getting a lot of liquids (plus eating lots of water-filled summery fruits like canteloupes, grapes, watermelons).

I'm SO excited for my vacation (camping on Cape Cod with my SO, July 10-17) and I don't want to be worried about this while I'm out there!

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#2 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 07:21 PM

YES! This happened to me right around the same time as you (15-16 weeks). For me, it turned out I wasn't getting enough water and protein. My midwife recommends 96+ oz of water a day- I was averaging 40-64- especially coming out of morning sickness zone. I think my body was just dehydrated from 2 months of puking/very little water. Pregnant bodies need SO much water as we build blood and amniotic fluid. WAY more than what we get from fruits.
Also, I was slacking on the protein. Now I make sure I get it 5-6 times a day with EVERY meal (averaging 80-90g).
Another thing that makes me dizzy and my heart pound is if I eat a high carbohydrate meal/snack- like fruit alone, or cereal and milk, or chips and salsa. I HAVE to have fat/protein with every think I put in my mouth. Also, I have to make sure I eat every two hours even if its just 10 walnuts or something. Otherwise I get dizzy. I even have a protein shake in the middle of the night sometimes.

By paying attention to all of these things had made a world of difference.

The same exact thing happened to my friend when she was preg, too.

Hope you feel better soon!

8/2008, 1/2009 and 5/2009... Expecting first baby November 28ish, 2010!!!! So excited!
#3 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 PM

I would type more. but after standing up in church today, I'm laying down and trying to get rid of the same feeling lol!

It's shocking how much water you need, and the protein amounts are amazing too. Just take it easy, you are going to have a great trip, just sit and relax and enjoy everything! (with a glass of water in your hand!)

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#4 of 12 Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That can also be blood pressure related. The diet tips are great, but your bp can be involved. Low blood pressure can cause dizziness, and it's super common in pregnancy. You can add a bit more salt to your diet, which helps some people. (don't go nuts, but salt needs also increase in pregnancy)

For greater things are yet to come...

#5 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, it makes me feel MUCH better just to know I'm not the only one!

I will definitely try the diet suggestions. I have always (my whole life) had slightly low blood pressure, which has continued into pregnancy, so that could be part of it too.

#6 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I get the same exact thing. Mine started around 11 weeks and I still get it occasionally. 3 episodes of nearly fainting and almost had another one yesterday. I think it has a little to do with the salt and the protein. I was seriously craving bacon when we got back home, lol.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#7 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 PM

I always have low blood pressure, pregnancy included, and I get that same feeling often. When I do, it's usually because I need more salt - so I take a little sea salt (less than 1/4 of a teaspoon) and about 8-12 ounces of water. It usually helps very quickly.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#8 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM

yup. It happened with baby #1 and this one too. As long as I have a massive egg breakfast every morning that I'm at work, I'm fine. I pound the water and sit down when I can. (I'm a nurse so it's not always possible). good luck!
#9 of 12 Old 07-05-2010, 10:37 PM

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this because that is exactly what has been happening to me since I've been 14 weeks along (whichwas last week). I almost fainted on a New York City subway and had to be helped off by a very nice girl (figures, none of the men blinked an eye). It was super hot that day and there were no seats in the car so I stood. Even though I wasn't going very far, I guess it was too much for me. It went away though once I was able to sit down. Then last night I was standing in a giant crowd waiting to see the fireworks and the same symptoms you described hit me (I've fainted before in the past, pre-pregnancy, due to dehydration so I recognize the signs quickly). Luckily this time around I knew to just sit down and I was ok in the long-run.

I saw my midwife today and asked her about this, and she said it is due to the lack of blood circulation when you are standing still. So it may be related to nutrition or just to a change in circulation. Since the baby is growing so rapidly at this point in our pregnancy, I guess a decrease in blood circulation can really cause us to faint fast!
#10 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 01:10 PM

You may also want to have your iron levels checked - a friend of mine had horrible dizziness due to an iron deficiency during her pregnancy.

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#11 of 12 Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHcj2008 View Post
I saw my midwife today and asked her about this, and she said it is due to the lack of blood circulation when you are standing still.
Ah, so glad you added this! I had been thinking it was so strange that as long as I was moving around (ie. in the kitchen cooking, or walking from one place to another) that it didn't bother me. But as soon as I was standing still (ie. in line at the grocery store) it hit me. That makes so much sense!

#12 of 12 Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM

I have been having this as well! It really freaked me out, but I guess its more common than I thought. My doctor said it was low blood pressure and my midwife said it was a combo of low blood pressure and low blood sugar. I just know it sucks and it makes me super tired and weak and I get so dizzy. My head is fuzzy and I have a hard time thinking except in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep

Baby Lillian Isabelle, due early December

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page