Cravings & Aversions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm loving chocolate cream pie, but if anyone mentions the word "p-e-s-t-o", I feel a severe wave of nausea (think I overdid it on the pesto at the beginning of this pregnancy....I can hardly type the word!)
I have to eat an apple a day (baby says) and of course I'm drinking like a fish (water, that is).
I'm also craving to be outside in nature, mostly the beach and my nesting instinct just kicked in, so I'm totally craving a clean and organized home.
What are your babies and bodies demanding from you?
#2 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Aversions to garlic, creamy sauces, mushrooms (I keep buying them cause I usually love them, but they just spoil in the fridge because I can't bring myself to eat them), processed soy (which is good I guess, to have an aversion to it, since it's not healthy anyway, but as a veggie sometimes it's convenient..) and many other things but I'm starting to feel horribly sick by typing it so I'll move on.

I've been craving chili like nobody's business. Thankfully, DH isn't fed up of eating it yet, although we've had it 5 days a week for the past few weeks! I can't get enough chili, and it's healthy, full of veg and protein. I have also been craving vinegar a lot and am adding it to everything.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#3 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 AM

No aversions, praise the Lord! (after 15 weeks of sever morning sickness this is worth celebrating! )

Craving?... hmmm, lots of wholesome veg*n dishes. Especially soups and chowders. Anything warm and filling.

And I've been drinking sparkling apple cider a lot as my 'treat'. Sooooo good.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#4 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Ceasar salad. Lots of romaine, some parmesan, some croutons and a little ceasar dressing. Funny thing is I never liked ceasar dressing before!
Sometimes if i have it or I am ordering out I like some grilled chicken on it too.
yum yum yum
#5 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 AM

yummm! I am actually loving the pesto now. I just finished some! I love everything salty and savory. Cheese, bread, garlic, shrimp, eggs, steak. Seriously, it's a good thing I'm not craving sugar though. I can eat it, but it just doesn't do much for me. I think I could live on eggs, cheese, and bread though. And fruit - just about anything but especially berries and apples.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#6 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Ugh my problem is sugar! I never am usually remotely interested in sweet/dessert things, except maybe once per week. But I made this DIVINE vegan chocolate chocolate chip banana bread, and limiting myself to two slices a day is really tough. I mean, it's pretty healthy...super low fat (but I addded nuts and unsweetened coconut, and I spread peanut butter on top) with whole wheat flour and 3/4 c. sugar. But still. I usually am not interested in things like that.

I think I've just gotten into a "habit" of eating at least a sweet a day kind of thing, and I really need to quit that asap. We're leaving on vacation for 2 weeks this weekend, so I'm hoping that being out of my setting and routine will be a kickstart for that!

Aversions? Nothing, really...raw veggies without sometime of dip or dressing are tough to fathom still, but sometimes I manage.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#7 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
Ugh my problem is sugar! I never am usually remotely interested in sweet/dessert things, except maybe once per week. But I made this DIVINE vegan chocolate chocolate chip banana bread, and limiting myself to two slices a day is really tough. I mean, it's pretty healthy...super low fat (but I addded nuts and unsweetened coconut, and I spread peanut butter on top) with whole wheat flour and 3/4 c. sugar. But still. I usually am not interested in things like that.
That was my problem with every other pregnancy. With #2, I would get frozen custard with all kinds of crazy sweet toppings at least 3x a week. I found a solution with this pregnancy, though: be hypoglycemic. I feel terrible if I eat anything remotely sweet, including a chewable vitamin. Blech! It is awful...but I guess it's nice to be forced away from all that junk food. If only I would develop some allergy to fried foods, I'd be in good shape.

I am craving french fries with shredded cheese & bacon on top like crazy! I want it all.the.time and will get it at every available opportunity. I request fries as a side with cheese and bacon on top every time we go to a restaurant that sells fries. I cannot have enough...yumyumyum.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#8 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM

This is bad, but all I want is tuna fish salad. Super fatty, mercury laden tuna fish sandwiches sound the most appetizing. I'm keeping it down to once a week, but really wanting to eat more.

I guess it's a good thing that I have gestational diabetes. I haven't eaten candy, cookies, cake or anything sugary for 16 weeks and counting. I am fantasizing daily about what I'm going to eat once the baby is out. Rum cake, cheesecake, those "it's it" cookie and ice cream sandwiches, ice cream sundaes, reese's peanut butter cups. I'm planning a trip to Fresh Choice and just getting a giant bowl for their self-serve ice cream sundae bar. I never stock ice cream in the freezer, I don't really like cold foods, but now, ice cream is on the brain all the time.
#9 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Fruit -- by itself, in juice, in pie, in anything! Also, milk. And salty foods. I should probably drink more water.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#10 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Cravings: wine. and everything not healthy~ potato chips, french fries
Aversions: chicken and eggs

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#11 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This has been the most suggestable pregnancy in the history of the universe. As soon as I see something, hear about it, or think about it, I want it. Then once I have it, I probably don't want it ever again. Sigh. Thank goodness my husband is willing to just roll with it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#12 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM

Cravings: Eggs! I could probably eat eggs at every meal and be completely happy. Cucumbers and hummus, watermelon, apples and pasta salad are big ones, too.

Aversions: Mushrooms. Normally I LOVE them, but everytime I try and eat them, they come right back up. Anything super sugary/sweet, which works out well for me, because it keeps my blood sugar down. Fish isn't sitting well, either.

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
#13 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cravings: BAKED BEANS!!! BEAN BURRITOS!! Cream of mushroom soup, brussel sprouts, pork chops (I finally threw away a bone I was chewing on for 10 minutes)... I could use a chocolate cheesecake too.

Aversions: Mustard. Beef. Ugh.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#14 of 22 Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM

I'm with the sweet crowd. I've also been into spicy/vinegary, as in radishes, chili, pickles, this bean salad stuff with a sugar vinegar dressing, etc. I'm also super suggestible. If I hear of something or see a commercial or something I want it. If I can fight it off for about 30 I'm usually fine but I did get stuck on gummy worms at one point and finally gave in and got them after about 3 days of obsessing. I have been craving alcohol as well which is really unusual for me while pregnant, I'm usually very aversive. I had a strawberry daiquiri while on vacation and it was soooooo good. I was really craving wine after that, but it's passed now that we are back home.

I'm aversion to meat a lot of the time and that's unusual for me. I'm having a hard time with lots of veggies too. It seems like I can either cook it or eat it, but I can't do both. We were doing loads and loads of take out between the m/s, the aversions, and feeling like I couldn't eat something I cooked. I'm getting better, this past week has been a huge improvement so I'm hoping that's mostly gone.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#15 of 22 Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM

I usually love sweets (not the processed scary kind but things like quality pastries, homemade baked goods etc...). For some reason sweets have not been sitting well and I have been pretty much avoiding them.

Cravings include salty items, vinegar, and rich savory foods such as Thai curries, eggplant parmesan, and tamales. Also things that taste bright and fresh like fruits and vegetables (watermelon with lime juice and fresh mint, tomato basil salad with just a drizzle of dressing, fresh berries, entire sliced cucumber eaten in a sitting).

The biggest shock for me (and this is my first pregnancy) is how hungry I am all the time. I never did get any real morning sickness (just nausea and fatigue in the first trimester) and now that my mostly mild symptoms are passing I'm hungrier than ever. I'll probably be as big as a whale when this is all over but I just can't stop (and I'm certainly not going to diet while pregnant).

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 22 Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Craving: Steak. Steaksteaksteak.

Aversion: Cilantro (which I usually can't get enough of).

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#17 of 22 Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
craving- water, Iam so thirsty. anything that is wet, like tomatoes, soup, gravys. fruit watermelon bluberries apples

adversions-
salad.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#18 of 22 Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Aversions: coffee and cookie dough

Cravings: bacon and fruit and mayo. I hate mayo. I never eat it on sandwiches or anything. Now I need it. Go figure.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#19 of 22 Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
Cravings: wine. and everything not healthy~ potato chips, french fries
I do crave alcohol...but not b/c I want it, per se. I just can't stand to be sober in a room full of drunk people, so I never want to go out anymore.

I'm with you on the "not healthy" tip. But I don't know that it's a true craving or that I know I'm not supposed to eat them...which makes them all the more desirable!

I have occasional junk food cravings: Big Macs, Taco Bell, cheese puffs, potato chips. But I have had constant fruit cravings (apples and melon) and I've noticed I've been consuming WAY more dairy than I ever have.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#20 of 22 Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 AM

Aw, jealous of those who crave healthy food! I am usually a health junkie, but now I just crave ham and bacon and salami and anything else doused in nitrates... Developed TOTAL aversions to all cooked vegies in the first trimester, when my stepmother visited and cooked vegie soup I nearly had to move out! Thank goodness I love fruit, I eat about 15 mandarins a day. I can't be without them. Is that a craving lol?....

Shopping now consists of me trying not to look at that delectable salami isle, and nervously stuffing huge bags with mandarins and tomatoes.

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#21 of 22 Old 07-18-2010, 07:22 PM

I love chocolate. Though now I can love the smell but eating anything of the choclate sort is *gag*. It tastes like bitter straight cocoa- no sugar, nothing. Chocolate milk, candy, cake, etc is all out of the question. It sucks.

Though I've been craving protein a lot- meat, lots of cheese (especially melted), and lots of sour cream. Veggies are a hit or miss- sometime I can gorge and other times it just doesn't sound good.

I never had any real cravings when pregnant last time and definitely had no aversions. This pregnancy really is different.
#22 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APMama04 View Post

Though I've been craving protein a lot- meat, lots of cheese (especially melted), and lots of sour cream.
OMG I want tacos now.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page