Anyone started childbirth prep stuff yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need to dig out my Bradley book and I wanted to maybe look into Hypnobabies (although it seems like the two might be opposed to one another, LOL!) but I'm just too tired still to even think about it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I'm buying hypnobabies this weekend after dh gets paid. I already downloaded some of the tracks and am really enjoying it. I did bradley last time, but I think hypnobabies will be more beneficial this time.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#3 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Whipped out my Hypnobirthing book and CD the other day. It was for a friend, but now it's still on my desk. Maybe I should start reading up.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#4 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM

I did Bradley with my first and Hyponobabies with my second. I think they are very complimentary in their view of birth and it's normalcy. Bradley also focuses a lot of relaxation as a labor coping skill. Hypnobabies does say not to do anything else, but I think the foundation that our Bradley class had given us was helpful in doing the Hypnobabies. So, yes, I plan on doing Hypnobabies again, but I probably won't start until about 28-32 weeks. I need to look at it and figure how long I'll want to go through it, I don't remember the recommendations. I loaned my program out and I need to follow up and get it back!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#5 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah, thanks! That's interesting. I guess I just figured Bradley was kind of about embracing the experience, even the pain, and seeing it as productive, and I assumed Hypnobabies was about kind of blocking the pain out.

I don't know. I feel about Childbirth Prep kind of like I feel about sex right now. Hypothetically, it seems like a good idea, but when push comes to shove what I really want to do is just take a nap.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 PM

I feel like Bradley is quite a bit different from hypnobabies, but I"m just starting hypnobabies. I think it depends on your bradley instructor, too though.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

#7 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 PM

I just got my Hypnobabies and put it all on my ipod. Haven't actually listened yet though.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Annette, the Hypnobabies will actually help with that!!

Splath, I agree that it depends a lot on your Bradley instructor. I guess, for me, they are similar in that they embrace the experience, see it as a normal and healthy event with rare exceptions. They focus on empowering the woman and her partner (to some extent with Hypnobabies). Our Bradley instructor had kind of a block it out/go somewhere else/relax deeply philosophy on pain control and I think that Hypnobabies does the same thing except to a much larger and more effective extent.

I think the Bradley method does encourage embracing the pain as part of the experience, but it also tries to make it as comfortable as possible. Hypnobabies is more about controlling/manipulating/....I-can't-think-of-the-right-word the pain. The goal is a pain free birth, but it's not failure of that doesn't happen. For me, My labor was much more manageable with the Hypnobabies, though not pain free, the pushing phase was still immensely painful for me (9lbs, posterior, 15"). I felt that it was very helpful and I'll use it again, but I don't expect a pain free birth, if I have one, that's awesome though! I think my problem was that I didn't go deep into hypnosis when labor started and I sort of half ass-ed it so that's likely part of the problem. I may try doing that this time, though I get pretty ramped up when labor starts since I go from nothing to active with no early labor, so there are things to do!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#9 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM

I didn't like hypnobabies. I recenly read hypnobirthing and liked it much better, but I'm not sure I agree with the 2nd stage stuff. I feel like in the second stage, a bit of adrenaline is a good thing, it's natural, helps energize you for the big push and meeting the baby. It's about breathing the baby down instead of pushing, but my body definitely makes me wanna push. Everyone's different I suppose.

I have been doing the relaxation tracks on my ipod and enjoying that.

My favorite has been birthing from within. I read it recently and will probably go through it again here in a week or so. It's a little wishy washy but I agree with more of it than the others.

I'm definitely not a bradley birth fan, though there is some useful stuff in there for sure.

I'm watching tons of you tubes and thinking about the birth all the time. I'm a bit birth obsessed hehe. Never too early to start preparing.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#10 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Ugh, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaated Birthing From Within. I'm a crunchy thinker, but it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too conceptual for me. Tigers? Drawing pictures? Footbaths? Just tell me how to deal with labor please, thanks!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Yep. Birthing from within was a total loss for me. Wish I'd taken a class that actually helped me. I did make some amazing friends though.

I'm reading orgasmic Birth just for kicks and I actually used the idea that you just go with what your body is doing. I had a terrible leg cramp last night and usually I try to stretch it out and toss and turn and it only gets worse. I breathed into and allowed it to just pass and it was way shorter than they usually are. I wish there was some way to continue that practice in the face of pain prior to the birth. Any suggestions?

I also have Calm Birth which is really off the map and I listen to Marie Mongan's Birth and baby relaxation (rainbow relaxation?) DVDs every now and then.
#12 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

I'm a Bradley birther. I know a good bit about hypobabies (friend is an instructor), and I agree that they seem to contradict each other. Yes, Bradley stresses relaxation, but you're not trying to escape/avoid or otherwise not-think-about the sensations you're feeling. I guess it varies from instructor to instructor- but in the way that I employ it, Bradley means identifying the sensation, recognizing the work that it's doing, and even embracing and moving with it.

That being said, I have been working a bit with my Bradley technique (stretching, tailor sitting, etc), and I'll probably do a little refreshing reading, but not too much else. I'm confident with my body's ability to birth.

My idea of childbirth prep is taking care of myself, avoiding negativity (other people's terrible birth stories, etc), reading beautiful birth stories (Spiritual Midwifery, mainly), and keeping a confident and positive mindset.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#13 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM

I have been thinking on these lines lately. I have never heard of hypnobabies! What is it? My favorites books on this topic are Calm Birth, Painless Childbirth by Giuditta Tornetta and Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing. I happen to be lots of air, astrologically speaking, so methods assisting me in altering my perceptions I think will help. I have assisted hundreds of women in birthing their babes and I think my tendency would be the getting stuck in my head loop. Learning to let go and let the contractions flow through will be key, not to resist.

I have never done this personally before so I really can only speculate as to what I think will work for me. I have Birthing From Within and wasn't drawn to the book. I am not a big artist. My midwife told me not to rule it out and depending on the teacher it may be very helpful. Not sure. I emailed Guidetta and she said she would come to Portland for a 4 day intensive workshop. I just need to find 4 other couples. That would be amazing, she is pretty inspiring.

I was going to work on a birth collage. Also write out my ideal birth and begin to visualize it daily. Do we do classes in 3rd trimester? 30 plus weeks?

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#14 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My doula wanted me to start classes a few weeks ago. I'm probably going to wait until after my baby shower in 5 weeks. I can't miss a class for being out of state!

Oh Owlgirl I just saw your siggy. I'm due on the last new moon of the year.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#15 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, haven't even thought about it yet. And am perhaps under the delusion that since it worked fine last time, it should work fine again, right? Last time I read up on childbirth in general, but no particular method. Though I would appreciate less than 3 hours of pushing this time around, I doubt there's a book that would help me with that.
#16 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM

The majority of the students who took Bradley classes from my instructor ended up with c-sections. :/ I don't know if it says more about HER or more about the hospitals in NC, but I feel more comfortable doing hypnobabies and feel it's already helping me relax this time around.

#17 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 PM

I've hired my doula/ childbirth educator. Classes will be 12 weeks and start mid-late August. She's a Bradley instructor also so maybe I should read up on that too.
#18 of 36 Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
The majority of the students who took Bradley classes from my instructor ended up with c-sections. :/ I don't know if it says more about HER or more about the hospitals in NC, but I feel more comfortable doing hypnobabies and feel it's already helping me relax this time around.
I think it is very dependent on the person- some women will naturally do better with Bradley, some with Hypobabies...or another technique- it just depends on your personality. I think that the key is recognizing what will work for you- if you try to force something, it's not going to be effective. Also, it can be very difficult for some Bradley-training mamas to have their babies in the hospital. Luckily for me, I had an AMAZING non-interventionist CNM who just sat back and let me do my thing. I was able to just go with the flow. If I was constantly being hassled about various interventions, or had to deal with an iv, or continuous fetal monitoring, etc., who knows how that could have changed things.

I'm glad Hynobabies is working for you :-)

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#19 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
If it was near Charlotte, NC, it's the hospitals! Very high c-s rates

treehugger.gif Erika
#20 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 AM

Fascinating discussion!
I don't know what we're going to do yet, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options. Friends have really liked Yoga Way to Birth, and I'm very intrigued by the idea of Hypnobabies.

Owlgirl, I'm in Portland too! Could you tell me more about Giuditta Tornetta and Painless Childbirth?

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

#21 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
Also, it can be very difficult for some Bradley-training mamas to have their babies in the hospital.
Could you elaborate on that a little? I am having my baby in the hospital and I was thinking about doing Bradley. Is there another method that you think would be more effective for hospital births?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#22 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
Could you elaborate on that a little? I am having my baby in the hospital and I was thinking about doing Bradley. Is there another method that you think would be more effective for hospital births?
Of course! Like I said, I had a hospital birth, and it was beautiful- completely non-medicalized. Basically the only think my CNM did was check fetal tones using the doppler every 10-15 minutes, and then tell my husband what to do when DD crowned and was born.

What I mean is that for Bradley to be effective (IMHO, of course), you need to have freedom of movement. You need to be uninhibited. You need to be able to do whatever feels right to you at the time- for me, it was coming out of the tub, staying naked, squatting while my husband supported me, making lovely low "mooing-like" sounds while I rocked my pelvis. If you're the kind of person who would be embarrassed by something like that, Bradley might not be the best choice.

Also, it's very difficult to hear what your body is saying over the whir of machines and the directions of medical personnel. And even if you know what you WANT to do, all of the above would have been much more difficult (if not impossible) had I had continuous fetal monitoring, an iv, and a less-amazing CNM. I think that you need to be able to listen to your body, determine what feels best to you, and do it- all without interruption by others or your own psyche.

That being said, I think we all would agree that having an intervention-free birth is much more easily attainable at home. So no matter which technique or birthing style you choose, you will face more obstacles in a hospital. Even though I *personally* prefer Bradley, from those I've talked to, I think that Hypobabies might be easier for mamas who deliver in the hospital, because you're focused and practiced with relaxing REGARDLESS of the situation.

Plus I've never seen a sign that reads "We don't do Bradley" outside an ob's office. Maybe doctors are less hostile to Hypobirthing because it's not been around as long???

#23 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM

I just opend my Birthing From Within book, and I am loving it. But then again, I love the concept of preparing to be a mother and birthing being a big part of that. And using art to explore the emotions around birthing and mothering.

I kind of did Hypnobabies last time, but totally forgot about the images and kinda just tranced out. (I read the book, I didn't do the course). I did a rather mainstream course with pictures of a a womans face more and more screwed up in pain and going a deeper and deeper colour of purple. This course so did not help me at all! I remember thinking that the purple faces so missed the point while I was in labour.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#24 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Any more info on Yoga Way to Birth? i see a few options online -breathing the yoga way to birth etc. it would be awesome to find a DVD, book with yoga poses and breathing. What have people tried? I find Yoga is the easiest way for me to force myself to breathe and relax and it might help me.
#25 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM

I just realized the book I read that I thought was hypnobabies, wasn't really. It was some cooky knock off at the library. I've read hypnobirthing but didn't agree with it all. Hypnobabies seems to be a whole course. Expensive though. Where's the cheapest place to get it? I'm wondering whether it would be worth while for me or not..

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#26 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Shellnurse, are you familiar with the book Active Birth? I made the mistake of buying it in Hebrew to improve my reading, and never really used it. But I have had friends who love it.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#27 of 36 Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
Of course! Like I said, I had a hospital birth, and it was beautiful- completely non-medicalized. Basically the only think my CNM did was check fetal tones using the doppler every 10-15 minutes, and then tell my husband what to do when DD crowned and was born.

What I mean is that for Bradley to be effective (IMHO, of course), you need to have freedom of movement. You need to be uninhibited. You need to be able to do whatever feels right to you at the time- for me, it was coming out of the tub, staying naked, squatting while my husband supported me, making lovely low "mooing-like" sounds while I rocked my pelvis. If you're the kind of person who would be embarrassed by something like that, Bradley might not be the best choice.

Also, it's very difficult to hear what your body is saying over the whir of machines and the directions of medical personnel. And even if you know what you WANT to do, all of the above would have been much more difficult (if not impossible) had I had continuous fetal monitoring, an iv, and a less-amazing CNM. I think that you need to be able to listen to your body, determine what feels best to you, and do it- all without interruption by others or your own psyche.

That being said, I think we all would agree that having an intervention-free birth is much more easily attainable at home. So no matter which technique or birthing style you choose, you will face more obstacles in a hospital. Even though I *personally* prefer Bradley, from those I've talked to, I think that Hypobabies might be easier for mamas who deliver in the hospital, because you're focused and practiced with relaxing REGARDLESS of the situation.

Plus I've never seen a sign that reads "We don't do Bradley" outside an ob's office. Maybe doctors are less hostile to Hypobirthing because it's not been around as long???
That's really helpful, thank you. I think I should give Hypnobabies another look...

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#28 of 36 Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM

We're just starting to look at birthing classes, etc. I just switched from an OB to a midwife, but will be giving birth in a hospital. We're trying to go as natural as possible and midwife is definitely on board and of the 3 hospitals she works at, we'll be using the one most natural birth friendly. Water birth may be an option, so long as I don't have any complications.

My midwife has recommended Bradley. I'm also interested in hypnobabies, but what is hypnobirthing? How is that different?

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#29 of 36 Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Any suggestions for first time births? My DD was born via emergency c-section so I have never gone into labor! I will be giving birth at a hospital with midwives - the OB who works with them is very pro-VBAC, especially given my blood clotting condition (which makes surgery more dangerous than it would be for the average patient).

I plan to attend some ICAN (www.ican-online.org) meetings to get info about local resources but I'd like to start reading up on different childbirth prep methods now. The only one I know is Bradley and I don't think it's right for us - unfortunately, we don't have enough free time to devote to the coursework...

Thank you!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#30 of 36 Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM

I don't know. I feel about Childbirth Prep kind of like I feel about sex right now. Hypothetically, it seems like a good idea, but when push comes to shove what I really want to do is just take a nap. [/QUOTE]

I am in exactly the same place! I started my HB homestudy two weeks ago, but I think that was probably a bit too early.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page