Blessing Shower vs. Baby Shower - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some friends from my Gym that are throwing me a baby Shower. And then I have my mother that is giving me a Blessing shower just for my special Lady friends that are very close to me and that will be attending my birth!

I wanted to know how popular is the blessing shower and how many are you going to have one?

I really am looking forward to my blessing shower because it is not all about baby but Mother and make sure she is well cared for!

let me know! Thanks

Daughter (7.5) Son(5) and Husband of 9 Years!!  saynovax.gifhomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgh20homebirth.gif
***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*stork-boy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 AM

i like the concept of a blessing shower. i've been to a few and IMO they're important-they are a special way to honor, prepare, support and love the 'new mama'.
Enjoy yours!
#3 of 9 Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM

I am not having either. My friend offered to throw my a blessing, but my other friends really are not into that type of thing.

I am throwing a baby shower for a good friend, she requested there be no focusing on her, some people just aren't comfortable with it I guess.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#4 of 9 Old 07-24-2010, 06:20 PM

I've never been to a belsing shower but it sounds nice. I don't want a baby shower for this one as we have all we need if its a girl and just clothes for a boy. We have all bedding, linens, gear, toys, etc we'll need. So I was thinking of a meet the baby party when the babe's about 2-4 weeks old. My family will be visiting then so I thought we'd do it the same weekend as the baptism (though a different day).

I'm just not into baby showers after the 1st babe. I would feel guilty getting gifts that are duplicates or triplicates of what we already have. I think seeing the baby afterwards would be better (plus, I would look a bit better than too!)
#5 of 9 Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 PM

My best friend is doing a Birth Blessing for me. I've never had one or a baby shower. I'm calling it a celebration of life, birth and womanhood. I invited 38 wonderful mamas.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 9 Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM

I hosted a blessingway for my friend for baby #2. No gifts, except everyone brought a bead that was special in some way. We had a potluck and gorged and chatted and then each one of us lit a candle honoring laboring women and presented a blessing and the bead. Two other friends gave the guest of honor a foot washing and massage. It was really fun and we laughed a lot and cried a bit.

She took all the beads we gave her and made them into a necklace to wear during labor to remind her that we were sending her blessings on her journey.
#7 of 9 Old 07-25-2010, 01:34 AM

oh my gosh. what a wonderful experience. i wish i had friends like that. im the only, uh, i dont even know how to label myself... im the only person i know whose into this kind of natural parenting, getting back to nature stuff. which is sooo hard sometimes! But that blessing shower sounds super fun. like how the birth experience should be. all that positive energy has got to do wonders to the womans self-esteem! love it.

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#8 of 9 Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 AM

I think a Blessingway is so important. We live in a society so devoid of rituals to honor transformational experiences. All is so consumer driven. I have been to several Blessingways. Lots of really special things that can be done, as Shellnurse mentioned. There are wonderful birth songs and chants that can be sung and then resung in labor holding even more power. I am a first time mama so I am having a baby shower (really having fun compiling my registry I must say, really hope I get styled out on the cloth diapers otherwise I am dropping some cash-agh!) and I am having a Blessingway. Two very different crowds at each gathering I must say as a Blessingway is sacred and something I am not comfortable having my distant cousin coming too. I feel the need to have a ceremony to honor the maiden becoming the mother. This is a big one!!!
I recommend a Blessingway for all mamas and especially first timers!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#9 of 9 Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM

a blessingway is just so lovely for any mom...I have hosted a few and everyone, including grandparents and conservative parents, always loved them. The entire event can be as simple or as traditional (with chant, sage smudges, blessings read aloud, song) as the mother would like it to be. I always recommend a small group of close friends to the mom, those who she knows will share only good birthing vibes.

my best friend is hosting a blessingway for me, I am so excited to take part...I just hosted hers in April...it was so lovely to plan and will be so lovely to enjoy!

We do things like belly casting, making a birthing necklace, foot soaks, foot and hand massages, henna on the belly, creating a basket with goods for the mom and add a few special touches based on what we know of the mom. One nice thing to do is to have a blessing written out from each person there and rather than the pressure of reading them aloud, place them into a book for the mom to read in her own time. Not everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts aloud, but may have something to wish for the mother.

Our next one is in a couple weeks...4 of us this year in our close group of friends...

I'm sure someone in my family will host a baby shower after the baby comes...but only because I lived 6000miles away for dd and didn't have one. Otherwise I have heard they are only for baby #1.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

User Tag List