heart palpitations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.
I have been getting heart palpitations (or something that feels like that) for over a week now (I am newly 17 weeks). The frequency seems to be increasing and I have to admit it feels a little unnerving. It happens most when I am sitting or lying down. I read that this is a normal pregnancy thing, so I am looking for reassurance and also if anyone has any ideas to make it better (drink water, increase iron, exercise more???...) I have no idea, but if you could tell me that I surely am not about to keel over that would be a great help! My midwife said my blood pressure was really low at my visit last week (of course I forgot to ask her about them, they started to get worse after the last visit). I had a cold that week which is what she attributed the low bp too.
Thanks!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#2 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM

I have noticed them a lot myself, I'll be 16 weeks on Monday. I noticed them with my last pregnancy too, and I am still here

I have always had low blood pressure too

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#3 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 PM

I had it real bad a couple pregnancies ago. The Dr checked my thyroid, just in case. I'm not sure what exactly she was looking for, but I had the blood test and it came out clear, so she told me not to worry, it's just normal pregnancy stuff. My blood pressure is usually on the high side.

Sorry, I don't know how to relieve it. It would happen even when I was completely relaxed in bed. I wasn't panicky with it or anything, it just would start fluttering and pounding like crazy.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#4 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 PM

I have them too. I have them when I am not pregnant, but more often when pregnant. I seem to have acquired a slight heart murmur too.

I find that keeping cool, rested and hydrated keeps them to a minimum. If am dehydrated or hot they seem to happen more often.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#5 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 PM

I had them for a while last month and asked my dr- he said our hearts work extra hard because we have a lot more blood than normal to circulate.
#6 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 AM

ooo! i didnt even THINK it was related to pregnancy. I called my GP. My heart actually STOPPED. It missed three beats. I grabbed my husband and shook him awake and said my heart stopped and then it started again. I knew it happened because I had just run downstairs to grab DD a glass of water (it was early in the morning). So, I went from sleeping, to jumping up and going downstairs, to doubling back up (really so I could get in bed again faster) and laying down in less than a minute. It was beating really hard and fast.

Its happened a few times since then, but I dont freak out as much. I wonder if the iron Im now taking will help! Hopefully. No matter how much you know, its still scary to feel your heart beating fast and then feel NOTHING. Three missing beats felt like a whole minute... like that last minute of my life. yikes!

My gp thinks my bp, how did he put it, "isnt anything to brag about." haha. Mine is always low though, as is my temp (always arounf 96.5). No idea why. Its just weird. OB said it was normal at the last appt. So to me, that means its high

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had this happen yesterday... during our anniversary dinner! I also had it happen a LOT between 6-9 weeks. I'm not sure exactly why but I've been joking the baby must be doing cardio or something in there now. I can also feel my heart skip a beat or two occasionally (few times a month maybe). Its uncomfortable because it beats extra hard for a few seconds but other than making me feel temporarily out of breath I don't think its doing anything 'bad'.

Last time I had my bp checked it was 95/65 but that's normal for me.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM

personally, my thyroid is whacked, AND I tend toward lowish blood pressure. I have overactive (hyper) thyroid, and heart palpitations is one of the symptoms. Anxiety is another. Staying well hydrated seems to help.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 AM

I had them so bad this pregnancy that my doctor ordered an echocardiogram and a 24 hour heart monitor a couple weeks ago. I'm glad he checked it out for me because it was really bothering me. Of course right about the time I did the testing they pretty much stopped and I've been OK since. My only thought was that they might have been related to stress plus the pregnancy. I've never had them during a pg before.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 AM

I have had this in the past during pregnancy and post baby etc.. For me I think it coincides with sleep deprivation! What works for me really fast and really well is Calcium/Magnesium, it works wonders!!!!! It also helps when I feel stressed or can't sleep but for heart palpitations it is amazing!!!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 AM

DDC- Have you had your thyroid checked? When my thyroid was hyperactive i had heart palpaltations as well as anxiety. Just a thought. Otherwise i have read of many stories of heart palpations in pregnancy being normal.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page