Freezer meals for when baby comes? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
December 2010 > Freezer meals for when baby comes?
splath's Avatar splath 05:48 PM 08-10-2010
Is anyone already planning their list? I know it's early but is always a good topic in my house LOL. We just got a big chest freezer, so I'm hoping to freeze lots of ready made meals.

MyFullHouse's Avatar MyFullHouse 05:58 PM 08-10-2010
I keep telling myself to start my list, but just haven't gotten there. A friend of mine is 6wks behind me, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to ask her to join me in prep. I don't know how much of a pain it would be though, since she's got a household of 2.5 (step-child there part time) and I have a household of 5!

I'm also feeling discouraged, because most of the easy meals include ingredients that are common annoyances for breastfed babies. Heaven would be a freezer full of lasagne, sausage and peppers, and pulled BBQ pork. And then, with my luck, the baby will hate them all!
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 06:00 PM 08-10-2010
I had a big huge linky thread going when I was pregnant with Daniel that had tons of recipes. Let me see if I can find it...
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 06:01 PM 08-10-2010
splath's Avatar splath 06:26 PM 08-10-2010
I'm kind of excited planning the meals for when this baby will be born since it will be the winter. For dd, it was April in NC and it was hot. This time around soups and chili will be great!
mahiisland's Avatar mahiisland 06:54 PM 08-10-2010
Checked out your link annettemarie. Thanks!!! I was planning to do some freezer meals too, wish I had done the same before MS hit! Will do next time.... I have a great freezer burrito recipe, made from soaked beans and all sorts of wholesome goodies, so I was surprised when I read that there are BF unfriendly foods. FTM here! No clue! Does anyone have a link to tell me what sorts of foods baby or BF won't like? Happy cooking!
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 06:58 PM 08-10-2010
Some people believe broccoli, too much onions/garlic, etc can cause fussiness in breastfed babies. Basically anything that causes gas in grownups might cause gas in babies. Additionally, some babies have milk/dairy sensitivities when the proteins pass through breastmilk. HOWEVER I am a firm believer that it's not a problem until it's a problem, you know? I think it's silly and unnecessarily restrictive to limit your diet based on the very remote possibility that your baby has a sensitivity. So what I would do is go easy on those ingredients, but not stress out about it. More babies don't have issues than do, you know, and there's no sense making life with a new baby harder than it needs to be.
Qbear'smama's Avatar Qbear'smama 07:04 PM 08-10-2010
I've been thinking about this, thanks for the links, Annettemarie!! I don't have a chest freezer, however, so I am wondering when I should start to store meals. I looked into buying premade meals for the freezer, there are a few places around here that prepare them or you can go in and assemble the ingredients yourself, holy expensive! It was a real motivator to do it myself.
nova22's Avatar nova22 07:20 PM 08-10-2010
Thanks for posting this, I need to get started. AnnetteMarie ~ your list is awesome!!! I agree with your sentiment about food problems. A couple of my kids have reacted badly when I ate broccoli, but others didn't seem to have any reaction. It's my favorite vegetable and it's so healthy, so I always try a couple times and see what happens with the baby's diaper later.

I have a OAMC cookbook that I use for ideas sometimes, but usually instead of batch cooking I just double or triple whatever I'm making for dinner anyway and freeze it. Some things I've done:

Beef Enchilada Mix
Salisbury Steak (basically individual meatloaves with gravy)
Twice-Baked Potatoes
Meatloaf
Bean Soup
Ham Soup
Chicken Broth
various casseroles
breakfast sandwiches
splath's Avatar splath 08:36 PM 08-10-2010
Thanks for the link Annette I agree that most babies are just fine with everything, but dairy can sometimes be an issue, so I plan to freeze some things that don't have dairy just in case. Some things that froze well last time around:

cooked and seasoned ground meat for tacos
cooked and seasoned ground meat for spaghetti
meatballs
meatloaf
cooked chicken for casseroles
cooked fajita mix (onions, green peppers, chicken)
stroganoff casserole
MyFullHouse's Avatar MyFullHouse 09:29 PM 08-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Some people believe broccoli, too much onions/garlic, etc can cause fussiness in breastfed babies. Basically anything that causes gas in grownups might cause gas in babies. Additionally, some babies have milk/dairy sensitivities when the proteins pass through breastmilk. HOWEVER I am a firm believer that it's not a problem until it's a problem, you know? I think it's silly and unnecessarily restrictive to limit your diet based on the very remote possibility that your baby has a sensitivity. So what I would do is go easy on those ingredients, but not stress out about it. More babies don't have issues than do, you know, and there's no sense making life with a new baby harder than it needs to be.
Oh, no doubt! I just don't want to wind up with a freezer full of 30 onion or cheese-based meals that might make me resent the rest of my family for a few weeks, lol. I need to branch out a bit. Thanks for the link!
annettemarie's Avatar annettemarie 09:32 PM 08-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
Oh, no doubt! I just don't want to wind up with a freezer full of 30 onion or cheese-based meals that might make me resent the rest of my family for a few weeks, lol. I need to branch out a bit. Thanks for the link!
Well, that's a great point. And as someone else pointed out, if you have a family history of allergies/sensitivities, it might be wise to limit those foods. It just makes me sad when people act like breastfeeding is a big fat ball of "DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!" when it doesn't need to be.
thebigfam's Avatar thebigfam 10:55 PM 08-10-2010
DDCC I am loving the tread that annettmarie linked and I really love the part about first snow because it is SO HOT here and I feel like dieing. Being preggers doesn't help either. We did just move our small window AC unit to our room so that helps with sleeping time. I am so inspired to freeze now!

Big Momma
rad's Avatar rad 12:12 AM 08-11-2010
This is something I need to start thinking about. I always have the best intention to make several freezer meals and never get aorund to it. Then we're stuck with fast food and a overly tight budget. It's too hot right now to think about it but I will definitely be making a few come fall.
laurata's Avatar laurata 12:46 AM 08-11-2010
I need to get moving on this. I have a nearly empty upright freezer that I want to fill. I have extra challenges though, as if I want it to feed the whole family, if has to be vegetarian, egg-free, dairy-free, garlic-free, and gluten-free. Possibly citrus-free as well, but we're not sure yet.
wholewheatchick's Avatar wholewheatchick 09:15 AM 08-11-2010
I've started a list, but that's all. I need to do more research on vegetarian meals that will freeze well...besides chili, dahl, lentils, and more bean dishes! I plan on prepping about 2 weeks worth of meals, but even mroe than that, I plan on preparing snacks. Like homemade breads, muffins, oatmeal squares for breakfast, etc. I hate eating storebought versions of those, and I know that I will have help withmeals for the first month or so, but getting people to drop off homemade breakfast might be more difficult, you know?

I recently got the book Fresh from teh Vegetarian Slow Cooker from the library, and so far LOVE it and I think that is going to be super helpful for after Squirt arrives, too.
Fat Scottish Gal's Avatar Fat Scottish Gal 12:16 PM 08-11-2010
I know I will be making some bean enchiladas, because they reheat nicely when frozen in individual portions, and it's always a welcome meal. Last time I made coconut dahl too which was yummy, maybe I'll do that again. I'm thinking possibly some tempeh meatballs. I really don't know...
We don't have tons of freezer space, but I also don't want to have nothing prepared and end up having to order pizza every night...
WifeofAnt's Avatar WifeofAnt 12:25 PM 08-11-2010
I started thinking about it but I don't know. I'm going to have my mom staying with us for pretty much the whole month of December (I'm 'due' the 5th) and she's having bariatric surgery next week. I'm not really sure what she'd be able to eat! I think she'd agree to help DH with the shopping and cooking though, lol.
splath's Avatar splath 01:35 PM 08-11-2010
Ok, I could spend days in those links Annette posted

One other thing that I definitely want to add to my list is to do up some oatmeal "packets" for quick breakfasts for dd and I. I just bought 10 lbs of oatmeal from a local organic bulk foods order, (and 50 lbs of flour), so I want to make up lots of pizza crusts and things, too.
owlgirl's Avatar owlgirl 07:41 PM 08-11-2010
SO IRONIC!!! I just got home from researching my standup freezer options at all our local stores!! Plan on buying one by the end of the month!! So excited!!

--I want to freeze various pressure cooked beans (I eat beans daily so I pray to god the little one will be adapted!!) Plan to return to meatfree after pregnancy.
--Fresh fruits, peaches, berries, apples for smoothies later
--gluten free homemade breads, rolls, zucchini breads, cookies. (DP is GF)
--Pesto's with all this basil of summer
--homemade veggie burger patties
--soups, stews, chilis

That's all right on top of my mind. I will have to check out the link posted earlier. I am actually super excited to stock a freezer, I am so part squirrel already!! The fall and winter will be perfect times for us all to cook it up!~!
APMama04's Avatar APMama04 07:54 PM 08-12-2010
Thanks Annette for the links and other Mamas for the ideas. We didn't when we had DD but I wished we had. I will fore sure have some this time around. We have a small deep freeze in the garage.

DD was sensitive to dairy and I tired to limit it but I only cut some items out like milk, ice cream. It was torture to limit the cheese and in the end I couldn't. I know chocolate did give her big time gas/ fussiness. I don't remember beans, broccoli or spicy foods. I want to make easy to make and freeze meals as I'm not even close to being a good cook.
northcountrymamma's Avatar northcountrymamma 10:30 PM 08-12-2010
Thank you for starting this and giving me some inspiration to get started with all this local summer produce...and our lovely little garden.

I am planning on continueing to freeze berries and summer fruit for smoothies; will do a few veggie lasagnas, chillies, veggie caseroles, veggie sheppards pie, soups and i also plan to make a good lot of breads to freeze.

I think my sister will be staying with us to help cook after the baby comes though, so I'm not too too worried...she is the world's most amazing cook (if you are vegetarian!) and she bakes like my grandma...ahhhhmazing!!!

We also have a thing with our friends that each person who comes to visit not only brings a meal that can be shared and one that can be either frozen or eaten later. It's perfect and I know we will be just fine...and once all that is gone, I'll be well ready to be back cooking...I adore preparing food.

But I'm tuning in for more ideas...you ladies are coming up with some good ones.
starshine1001's Avatar starshine1001 05:36 PM 08-13-2010
I have a half-sized deep freeze but it's full of the meat birds that were recently butchered at the moment. I need to use/get rid of a few of those so I can actually USE my freezer space!

Last time around we just did some chicken/noodle and chicken/rice casseroles, eggplant parmesan, lasagna, pasta sauce, and various soups. I wish we had made a little bit more...I will this time. I also want to make up a big batch of granola and freeze a lot of fruit this summer for smoothies, even though it will be in the winter. I love smoothies!
nova22's Avatar nova22 06:58 PM 08-13-2010
Something I like to do...

Make meatloaf as normal, double the recipe.

Cook half for dinner. Put the other half (uncooked) into a gallon sized ziplock bag labeled with the current date. Flatten the meatloaf mixture so it's nice and flat and takes up the whole bag, squeeze out any extra air, seal it, and lay it flat in your freezer to freeze. I do this with meatball mixture, soup broth, etc., freezing it flat every time. Once it's frozen you can store it almost like a filing system, with sheets of meals instead of big boxes and lumpy things that don't fit as well. I can fit a few freezer-safe boxes in my freezer or a couple dozen ziplock bags with the contents frozen flat. I have also done mini-meatloaves like this, cooked them, and flash-froze them on a cookie sheet before putting them in a ziplock bag and storing them in one layer so it's still kind of like a flat sheet.
AndysQueen's Avatar AndysQueen 01:25 AM 08-18-2010
Here's a HUGE list of freezer recipes off a mom's site I'm a member of:

Freezer recipes

CHICKEN
Chicken and Rice Wraps
1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 c. water
1 c. mild salsa
1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix
2 cups instant rice, uncooked
8 - 12 flour tortillas
In skillet or saucepan, combine chicken, water, salsa and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add rice, simmer on low for 5 minutes. Spoon mixture into center of tortillas and wrap. You can add cheese to mixture before wrapping, if desired.

To FREEZE: Simply wrap each folded tortilla in tin foil and place in 1
gallon freezer bag. I like to have 8 to a bag (for our swaps).

To SERVE: Reheat and eat! Another "instant" meal! This makes a LOT! We found it to be very filling, and kind to our diets!

Kid-Friendly Chicken Bites
2 c. cooked chicken, chopped
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. salt
Frozen bread dough, thawed, but not risen

TO FREEZE: Combine chicken with other ingredients (except bread dough) in a bowl. Roll out bread dough to a 9"x13" rectangle. Cut into smaller squares.
Spoon filling onto one side of each square, leaving a border of dough on
three sides. Fold over bare side of dough into a triangle and pinch ends
together. Fold points of triangle into center to make a roundish shape.
Freeze on cookie sheet. Place frozen individual bites into 1 gallon freezer
bag and lay flat.

TO COOK: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Place bites on greased cookie
sheet. Loosely cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Allow to rise, but
not double. Cook 15 - 20 minutes in a 350� oven until golden.
OPTION #2 - Bake the bites then freeze. I like this option best because I
can have an "instant" dinner or snack.

CHICKEN BROCCOLI
(Serves 4 people; 4 times)
1 cup margarine
1 cup flour
8 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups cooked chicken, cut up
2 lbs. broccoli, cut up and lightly steamed
2 lbs. cheddar cheese, grated

Make white sauce: melt margarine in a large heavy pan. Add flour, stirring
constantly. When it reaches the boiling point, add milk, mixing constantly
with a wire whisk. Heat until almost boiling, stirring constantly. Remove
from heat. Place cooked chicken into four 8x8-inch baking pans; sprinkle
each pan with grated cheese; cover pans with foil; label and freeze. You can also store this in zip-top freezer bags, saving the grated cheese to
sprinkle on top at serving time.

To serve: Thaw. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or pour from freezer bag and heat in heavy pan on stove top.
Serve over cooked rice, spaghetti, or fettuccine noodles.

Chinese Chicken Morsels
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup regular, uncooked rice
Cut chicken breasts (kitchen scissors work best) into 1-inch cubes. Mix
lemon juice, soy sauce, mustard, oil and pepper. Put marinade and chicken cubes in a 1-gallon bag and freeze.
To serve, thaw chicken and remove from marinade. Warm marinade in a small saucepan. Place chicken cubes about an inch apart on broiler pan treated with nonstick spray. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 7 minutes, brushing with marinade once. Turn chicken cubes and broil another 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Bring remaining
marinade to a boil and serve over rice.

Teriyaki Chicken
1/2 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
2 t. veg. or sesame oil
1 sm. minced garlic clove
3/4 t. ground ginger.
Stir ingredients together and pour into a gallon sized ziploc bag with 1 lb.
boneless, skinless chicken breasts. On serving day, thaw and pour into a
baking dish. Bake in preheated at 350 for 35 min. Serve over rice. To
stretch this out, I add a bag of frozen, stir fry style veggies in before
baking.

Chicken Curry
10 servings
8 c. cooked brown rice
1/2 c. olive oil
2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
6 c. cooked chicken, chopped
2 T. flour
2 T. curry powder
1 1/2 t. salt
1 c. water
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 c. tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed
Cook onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add chicken . Saut�
briefly. In separate bowl mix flour, curry powder and salt. Slowly stir in
water and lemon juice to make paste. Add tomato sauce and garlic and pour mixture over chicken mixture. Mix. To freeze, freeze in ziploc plastic bag.
Freeze rice in separate ziploc bag. To serve, thaw. Place rice in casserole
dish. Place chicken mixture over top of rice. Heat through on 350�, about 30
min.

Peanut Butter Chicken
1 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
12 oz. Apricot jam
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1/3 c. orange juice
1/3 c. apple juice
2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Curry powder
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Ground cumin
To FREEZE: Combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix until
smooth. Add chicken and mix. Pour into 1 gallon freezer bag and lay flat to freeze.
To SERVE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour thawed chicken mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish, and bake, uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over hot rice.

Chicken and Rice Bake
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked regular white rice
1/4 tsp. Paprika
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
To freeze: Dump all ingredients into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag. Lay flat
in freezer.
To cook: Thaw in refrigerator. Place all ingredients in a 2 quart shallow
baking dish. Cover. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until chicken
and rice are done.

Note: I also like this one made with cream of chicken and cream
of asparagus soup. Add cut up asparagus to the latter for a summer treat!

CHEESY Chicken and Rice Bake
1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup uncooked regular white rice
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
in freezer.
To cook: Thaw in refrigerator. Place all ingredients in a 2 quart shallow
baking dish. Cover. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until chicken
and rice are done.

NOTE: Try it with a can of cheddar broccoli soup and add broccoli
florets for added color and nutrition.

Tomato Chicken Gumbo
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
1/2 1b. hot sausage links or Polish Sausage, cooked and sliced
1 can (26 oz.) chunky spaghetti sauce
2 cups cooked diced chicken
1 can (11 oz.) canned corn, drained
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
To freeze: Dump all ingredients except rice into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer
bag. Lay flat in freezer.
To cook: In 6-quart pot, bring gumbo to a boil. Add cooked rice. Cover; cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until heated through. Add additional water or broth for a thinner gumbo. For spicier gumbo serve with hot red pepper sauce.

Chicken Primavera
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups broccoli flowerets (I use frozen)
2 medium carrots, sliced (I use frozen pre-cut carrots)
2 1/2 cups cooked corkscrew or elbow macaroni
2 cans (5 oz. each) Chunk White Chicken, drained

To freeze: Dump all ingredients except macaroni into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag. Lay flat in freezer.
To cook: Place thawed dinner in a pot over medium heat, heat to a boil.
Cover and cook over low heat 30 min. or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring occasionally (it won�t actually take this long, since the veggies have been frozen). Stir in macaroni and chicken and heat through.
Serves 4.

Chicken Orient Express
1 can (about 14 oz.) low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Corn starch
1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
1/2 tsp. Ginger
2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 lb. Boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 c. cut up vegetables (I use frozen stir-fry veggies)
2 c. cooked rice

In bowl, stir first 4 ingredients; set aside. In large skillet, heat oil
over medium- high heat. Stir in garlic. Add chicken; cook, stirring 2
minutes. Stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, and let boil 1 minute,
stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Add vegetables and ladle into 1 gallon
Ziploc freezer bag.
To serve: Thaw sauce, and place in skillet. Heat to almost boiling. Serve
over rice.

Modified Chicken Lickin'
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut up
3 Tbsp. Butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Ground ginger
1/2 tsp. Chili powder
1 can (28 oz.) diced or crushed tomatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup

To freeze: Brown chicken, onion, and garlic in butter. Add remaining
ingredients, stir well. Heat to boiling. Allow to cool, and ladle into 1
gallon Ziploc freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.
To cook: Thaw and reheat on stovetop. Serve over cooked spaghetti or other pasta.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
1- 8 oz. Fat Free French Dressing
1- 8 Oz. can Jelly (whole)cranberry sauce
1 package - Dried Onion Soup Mix
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts (you can add more or less - cut into cube pieces)
in freezer.
To cook: Mix all ingredients in a 13 x 9 glass pan. Cover with tin foil.
Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Stir and serve over rice or noodles.
Christy's note: I like to add a bunch of stir-fry veggies in the bag when I
freeze this. They cook well in the sauce, and add a lot more nutrition to
the meal. (Plus, I don't have to bother with a side dish this way!) The kids
are also more apt to eat the vegetables when they are in the sweet sauce
than on the side.

Chicken Parmesan
1/3 C. dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg, beaten
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3/4 C. shredded mozzarella cheese

To freeze: Combine first four ingredients in a shallow bowl. Dip each
chicken breast in beaten egg, then roll in bread crumb mixture to evenly
coat.
Place chicken on a greased cookie sheet or jellyroll pan. Bake in preheated 375' F. oven 10 min. Turn chicken over; bake 10-12 min. or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Freeze in 1 gallon bag with separate bags of sauce and shredded cheese.

To serve: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat chicken in 375' F. oven until heated through and crust is crispy. Spoon tomato sauce over chicken. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings

Spiced & Fragrant Chicken
3 1/4 c. tomato sauce
4 whole chicken legs
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/8 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. curry powder
2 garlic cloves - minced
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
To Freeze: Remove the skin from the chicken legs. In a pot, heat the tomato sauce on low heat. Add the chicken legs, stock, curry, cayenne, garlic and pepper. Cover and simmer on low until chicken is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Gently remove the chicken meat from the bones and return to the pot. Add the mushrooms and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.
To serve: Reheat and serve over cooked pasta.

Apricot or Peach Glazed Chicken
1/2 c. Italian dressing
2 tsp. Ground ginger (optional)
2 1/2 - 3 lbs. Chicken pieces
1/4 c. apricot or peach preserves
in freezer.
To cook: Thaw in refrigerator. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes or
until chicken is done. This is also a nice grill recipe.

TERIYAKI CHICKEN WINGS
1 bag of frozen chicken wings
1 cup of soy sauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. ginger
Divide chicken wings between 2 or 3 one gallon bags. In a 4 cup measuring cup assemble remaining ingredients and stir. Divide teriyaki sauce between the 2 or 3 bags of chicken wings, and freeze. To prepare chicken wings, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Place wings in a large baking pan along with teriyaki sauce. Heat oven to 400� and bake for 30 minutes turning once.
Serve with rice and steamed broccoli.

Chicken Tetrazzini
10 oz. dry spaghetti -- (10 to 12)
3 cups grated cheese - Jack or Cheddar
3 Tbsp. margarine
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup -- (10 3/4 oz)
1 can cream of chicken soup -- (10 3/4 oz)
1 (10 3/4 oz) soup can milk
3 cups cooked diced chicken
salt & pepper

Cook spaghetti as directed until al dente; drain. Saut� onions in margarine.
Mix onions and remaining ingredients with spaghetti in a large bowl. Put
mixture in containers and freeze. To prepare for serving, thaw tetrazzini
and put in a baking dish. Bake uncovered in a preheated 350* oven until
bubbly, about 30-40 minutes. For 2 people makes 5 casseroles.

Chicken Enchiladas
(Freeze the tortillas separately for this easy dinner)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 pint sour cream
pinch garlic powder
1 can diced green chiles
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 dozen flour tortillas
grated Monterey Jack cheese

Mix first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon into a 1 gallon
freezer bag and lay flat to freeze.
To prepare: Thaw sauce and tortillas. Spoon a bit of the chicken mixture
into each tortilla. Roll up and place side by side in a 9 X 13 baking pan.
Pour remaining mixture over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 30
minutes at 350 degrees.

Chicken Spectacular
3 c. cooked chicken
1 can cream of celery soup
1 (4 oz.) jar sliced pimentos
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pkg. Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice (cooked according to package)
1 (16 oz.) can French style green beans, drained
1 c. mayonnaise
1 (8 oz. can) diced water chestnuts
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients. Bag in 1 gallon freezer bags and freeze.
To prepare: Thaw overnight. Pour into a 9 1/2 X 15 inch casserole pan. Bakeuncovered 25 -30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 16.

Maple Glazed Chicken
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 teaspoons lemon juice or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons butter
4 whole chicken legs
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450'. Combine the maple syrup, lemon juice, and butter in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Line a baking dish with foil and grease. Pat the chicken dry (and trim excess skin, if desired) and lay it on the foil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, then pour the glaze over the pieces. Basting occasionally, cook for another 15 minutes, or until the meat is cooked throughout and the juices run clear.
Serves 4. Bag, freeze and reheat later! YUMMY!!!

Chicken Taco bake
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked shredded turkey or chicken
1 can tomato sauce
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 cup grated cheese(reserve in it's own baggie)

In a 1 gallon freezer bag, place the cooked rice. In another bowl, mix taco
seasoning and tomato sauce. Add shredded chicken and coat it well with
tomato mixture. Add mix to the bag. Freeze.
After thawing, place rice and chicken mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. "Frost"
with the refried beans. It may take up to 2 cans for that, especially if you
want a good thick layer. Top off with grated cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot all the way through and the cheese is nice and bubbly.

Note: This is just my way of freezing this casserole. I figure
that to save space I can leave the refried beans on a shelf just as well as
in my freezer! You can prepare the whole casserole in a dish, cover and
freeze so all you have to do is thaw and pop into the oven. If you plan on
doing this, make sure to purchase the disposable baking pans. Fewer dishes to wash, and you can continue to use your regular casserole dishes for other meals.

Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie
Combine: 2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 pkg. Frozen mixed vegetables
2 c. cubed cooked chicken

Pour mix into bag and lay flat to freeze. When thawed, pour into a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Mix together:
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 c. biscuit mix
Pour dough over chicken mixture. Bake at 400 for 35 minutes or until golden.

Lemonade Chicken
3 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 12-oz. Can frozen lemonade, thawed
2 Tbsp. Oil
1 c. water
6 Tpsp. Catsup
6 Tbsp. Brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Vinegar Corn starch

Brown chicken in oil. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 - 50 minutes or until tender. Combine 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch and 1/2 c. cold water. Stir into chicken mixture until thick and bubbly.
To FREEZE: Allow to cool. Add frozen vegetables, if desired. I added peas,
and the kids LOVED it! Bag and lay flat. Makes 2 meals.
To SERVE: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Reheat in a pan, adding water as necessary. Serve over hot rice.

Barbecue Chicken
Chicken
Barbecue sauce

Wash and dry chicken pieces. Place in freezer bag. Add BBQ sauce. Lay flat to freeze.
After thawing in the refrigerator, cook as you normally would. I use my
Foreman Grill (Merry Christmas!) or bake it in the oven. The chicken comes out very juicy and tender from the long marinating process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CROCK POT FREEZER RECIPES

Crockpot Chili

2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
3 16-oz. cans kidney beans, drained
2 16-oz. cans Northern beans
4 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
1 c. chopped green peppers
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients, and separate into 2 1-gallon freezer bags (I used frozen bell peppers and chopped onion for mine). Seal and lay flat to freeze.

When ready to serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Pour chili into crockpot, and cook on low 8 -10 hours. (I cheated on this too. I defrosted slightly in the microwave, then put everything in the crockpot on high for an hour. After that, I switched it back to low for the remaining cooking time.)

Cream Cheese Chicken
from Suzanne Brenchley

1 frying chicken -- cut up (or use 3 pounds of boneless skinless breasts)
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
salt & pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons dry Italian salad dressing (1 pkg.)
1 can condensed chicken soup
8 ounces cream cheese -- cut in 1" cubes
1 tablespoon onion, minced (optional)

Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a crockpot and sprinkle dry mix over all. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. About 45 minutes before done, mix soup, cream cheese, and onion in a small saucepan. Cook until smooth. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook another 45 minutes.

To freeze: Cool and place in 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Lay flat to freeze.

To Serve: Reheat and serve over rice, pasta or potatoes.

Crock Pot Lasagne
Christy Wardle
Lasagne noodles
Spaghetti sauce
Browned ground beef (optional)
Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Eggs

You'll also need:
1 gallon ice cream tub (for family of 4-6) or 1/2 gallon tub (for family of 2 - 4)
2 gallon freezer bags

Cook noodles 1/2 the time indicated on the box. Drain and rinse with cold water. Combine spaghetti sauce and meat (if desired) in bowl. Combine cheeses and 1 - 2 eggs in another bowl, reserving about 1/2 -1 cup of Mozzarella for the top. Place freezer bag in the tub, and press into bottom and sides, removing air bubbles. (I found it helpful to fold the opening of the bag over the sides of the tub.) Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place small amount of sauce in bottom. Cutting or tearing noodles as you go to make them fit, layer noodles, then cheese mixture, then sauce. I usually fill the tub about ½ way (using the gallon tub), and it makes about a 5 - 6 layer lasagne. Finish off with noodles, sauce and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.

Freeze in the container until solid, then remove bag and seal, pressing out the air.

To serve, remove FROZEN lasagne from bag. Place in crock pot and cook on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours (1/2 gallon container) or 4 - 5 hours (1 gallon container).

This is the BEST lasagne! ;o)

SISTER BEHNING'S STEW
from Martie Mullenbach

2 lbs. Stew meat
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 can green beans (with liquid)
1 can tomatoes
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. onions, chopped
1 Tbsp parsley (dry)
1 Tbsp Kitchen Boquet
1/4 tsp. Basil
1/3 c. tapioca
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cook 5 - 6 hours on high. Cool and ladle into freezer bags. Lay flat to freeze.

To Serve: Thaw. Pour stew into crockpot, adding 1 c. of frozen (or fresh) diced potatoes. Cook on low for 2 - 3 hours, or until potatoes are soft.

BAKED CHICKEN BREASTS

2 - 3 whole chicken breasts, halved (boneless, skinless)
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 can (10 1/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. orange or apple juice
1 tsp. leaf tarragon or rosemary
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 can (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry; place in crockpot. In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and heat until smooth and hot. Pour over chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

Christy's Note: When I prepared this, the chicken came out so tender, it was falling apart. So, I shredded it, and served it over rice. We also found that shredded, it makes a GREAT sandwich filler!

Cool, bag, lay flat to freeze.

To serve: Thaw chicken and reheat. Serve as half-breasts with sides, or shredded on rice, or shredded on sandwich rolls.

Shredded Beef Tacos
adapted from Martie Mullenbach
1 pot roast
1 package taco seasoning

Place pot roast in crockpot. Cover with taco seasoning. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until tender.

Shred beef, and cool. Place beef in 1 quart freezer bag.

In separate 1 quart freezer bags, place the following:

1 - 2 c. shredded cheese of your choice
picante or taco sauce (if desired)

Assemble meat, cheese, sauce and 1 package flour tortillas in 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.

To serve: Thaw all ingredients. Reheat meat and place some in the center of each tortilla. Add cheese, and any other fresh toppings you want (onions, olives, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) and fold in half. Enjoy!

PORK BARBECUE
Pork roast
BBQ sauce of your choice (I highly recommend "Bone Suckin' Sauce" from NC!)
Sandwich rolls or buns
Place pork roast and BBQ sauce in crockpot. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Shred, cool, bag and freeze. You can freeze the buns as well, so you have enough for your family, and can buy them in bulk.

Reheat and serve on buns with slaw on the side:

BEST Southern Cole Slaw Recipe:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar

Combine and mix until smooth. Pour over shredded cabbage (I get the pre-shredded bags from the store) and allow to sit in the fridge for at least an hour. The longer the slaw marinates, the better it is![/quote]

HAMBURGER

Sloppy Joes-serves 4
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped (I use 1/3 Cup dried minced onion to make it quicker)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

TO Freeze: I brown and drain the ground beef, you can either saute the onion with the beef or just add the minced dried onion without cooking it. I let the ground beef cool, toss in a freezer Ziploc bag, add the minced onion, and all the other ingredients, and freeze.

When you're ready to eat it, thaw it, and reheat in a pan until it's warmed
up. If you're just making it without freezing it, you would brown the beef
and saute the onion. Then add all the other ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until sauce has thickened and divide between 4 hamburger buns and serve.

CHEESEBURGER 'N' FRIES CASSEROLE
4 pounds lean ground beef
2 cans cream soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 package onion soup mix
2 packaged (20 oz each) frozen crinkle-cut French fries

In a skillet, brown the beef, drain. Stir in soups and soup mix. Pour into
two 1 gallon freezer bags. Lay flat to freeze.
Thaw. Place meat mixture into 9x13 baking dish. Top with frozen fries. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until the fries are golden brown.

Freezer Bagel Pizzas
24 Plain Bagels -- split and buttered
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion -- diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 - 6 oz. jar processed cheese spread
1- 14 oz. jar pizza sauce
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1. Brown beef and onion in large skillet; drain.
2. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
3. Spread 2 teaspoons of cheese spread and 2 teaspoons of pizza sauce on each muffin. Spoon meat mixture onto pizza sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
4. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze. Place in 1 gallon freezer bag. Store
in freezer until ready to use.
5. Bake frozen, approximately 20 to 30 minutes, at 350 degrees, or until
bubbly.

Simple Salsbury Steak
(Campbell's soup recipe)
1 can of mushroom soup
1 pound of ground beef
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

In a bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of the soup, beef, bread crumbs, egg, and
onion. Shape firmly into 6 patties. (If you are using raw meat, you can
freeze it now and brown the mushrooms and freeze them too, or you can freeze everything after cooking)
In a skillet over medium heat, cook patties, a few at a time, until browned
on both sides, spoon off fat, set aside.
Stir in remaining soup and mushrooms, return the patties to the skillet,
reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until done, turning
patties occasionally. Allow to cool and place patties and sauce into freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.
To COOK: Allow to thaw. Reheat and eat!

BBQ Meatballs
2 lbs. lean hamburger or ground turkey
2 eggs
2 c. quick oatmeal
1 c. minced onion
1 c. milk (whole or cream)
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
Mix and make 72 walnut sized balls (any larger and sauce won't cook
through). Place in flat pan in a single layer.
SAUCE:
3 c. ketchup
2 c. brown sugar
3 tbsp. liquid smoke or Kitchen Bouquet
1 tsp. salt

Mix sauce over low heat and pour 1/2 of mixture or less over meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Add meatballs and remaining sauce to 1 gallon freezer bag and lay flat to freeze. Serve over rice. This is SOOOOOOO YUMMY!

Swedish Meatballs
3 tbsp. onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
GRAVY:
1/4 c. flour
3 beef bouillon cubes
2 c. water

For meatballs, combine ingredients thoroughly. Shape into 1-inch balls.
slowly brown meatballs in butter. Shake pan frequently to brown evenly.
Remove from pan. Blend flour into fat left in pan. Add bouillon cubes and
water. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Heat
meatballs in gravy. These freeze well.

Three Bean Mexican Chili
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. Ground turkey or ground beef
1 can (1 lb. 12 oz.) brick oven baked beans, UNDRAINED
1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14.5 oz. Each) Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 c. mild salsa
1 c. chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Chili powder

To freeze: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add meat, onion, garlic
and peppers. Cook and stir until meat is no longer pink; drain. Return meat mixture to pot. Stir in all beans, tomatoes, salsa, broth, and chili powder.
Bring to boil over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Lay flat to freeze.

To cook: Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat on stovetop or in crock-pot. Serve
garnished with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Serves 10
Christy?s note: This is the BEST chili recipe, and the baked beans give it a
nice sweetness. I can usually bag 2 - 3 meals from this one recipe.

Hamburger Stroganoff
1 lb. Ground beef
1 large onion, sliced
fresh or canned sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1- 16 oz. Container sour cream (low-fat works well with this)
1/4 c. margarine
salt and pepper to taste

To freeze: In skillet, brown ground beef. Drain, but reserve a little bit of
the fat in the pan. Saute the onion until soft, and add the garlic, soup and
mushrooms. Stir until coated. Add the sour cream and mix well. Salt and
pepper to taste. Allow to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag.
Lay flat to freeze.
To serve: Reheat and serve over rice or noodles.
NOTE: Instead of mincing my own garlic, I buy it already minced in
a jar.

Grandma's Spaghetti and Meatballs
SAUCE:
4 - 6 oz. Cans tomato paste
6 cups water
1 clove garlic (she used 1/8 tsp. Garlic powder)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. Sweet basil

In a 3 quart pan, blend tomato paste and water until smooth. Stir in garlic.
Cook, uncovered, until sauce begins to boil. Stir and lower heat. Simmer
with lid on, stirring occasionally. After 3 hours, add sugar and basil. Stir
and simmer 1 more hour. Pan will be about 1/2 full.

MEATBALLS:
1 lb. Ground beef
1/2 lb. Sausage
2 eggs
1/2 cup stale bread crumbs
2 stalks celery, chopped fine (optional)
1 clove garlic (she used 1/8 tsp. Garlic powder)
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese (2 oz. Package)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix ground beef, sausage and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix well. In another bowl, blend remaining ingredients and add a little at a time to meat mixture. Blend well, and form into meatballs. Fry, turning as needed. Simmer meatballs in sauce 15 minutes before serving with spaghetti.

To freeze: Divide meatballs and sauce into two 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Lay flat to freeze.

NOTE: Life wouldn?t go on without Grandma?s sauce! I have found it
easier to lay all of the formed meatballs on cookie sheets and bake them at 350 rather than fry them. Often, I am doubling this recipe (like I said,
life wouldn't go on without it!), and would rather skip the splatter cleanup
afterwards.

Easy Pleasing Meatloaf
2 lb. Ground beef
1 package (6 oz.) stuffing mix
1 cup water
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup barbeque sauce, divided

Mix all ingredients well except for ? cup of the barbeque sauce. Shape meat mixture into 2 oval loaves, side by side, in a 9"x13" baking dish. Top with remaining barbeque sauce. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until center is no longer pink.

To freeze: Allow loaves to cool. Wrap individually in tin foil, and place in
1 gallon freezer bag.
To serve: Thaw, and reheat in oven or microwave. Top with more barbeque sauce, if desired.

Cheesy Mostaccioli
1 package (16 ounces) mostaccioli pasta, uncooked
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 can (1 l ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In medium nonstick
skillet, cook and stir beef over medium-high heat until browned. Remove from heat; pour off drippings. Stir in spaghetti sauce, soup, pepper and
seasoning. Combine pasta, sauce mixture and the cheese. Ladle into freezer bag and lay flat to freeze.

To serve: Preheat oven to 350. In greased 4-quart baking dish, place thawed casserole. Sprinkle additional cheese on top if desired. Bake 40 minutes or until heated through.

Tater Tot Casserole
2 lbs. Hamburger
1 Envelope dry onion soup mix
2 lbs. tator tots
2 cans mushroom soup
1 Pint sour cream

Brown hamburger and place in a 10" x 14" baking dish. Sprinkle soup mix over meat, then place one layer of tater tots on top of that. Freeze. Thaw (it doesn't have to be completely thawed). Mix soup and sour cream together, pour over tater tots. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Serves 6 - 8 people.

NOTE: I like to bag up the sauce (Basically, I mix up all the ingredients except for the tots), and then add the tater tots to the bag and lay flat to freeze.
After it thaws, I then separate the tots from the meat mix and layer in the
pan. It saves space, and I have my 9 X 13 pan for other dishes.

Beef & Broccoli Calzone
1 lb. Ground beef, browned until crumbly and drained
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. sour cream
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4? tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed

To FREEZE: Combine ground beef with other ingredients (except bread
dough) in a bowl. Roll our bread dough to a 9"x13" rectangle. Spoon filling
onto one side of the dough, leaving a border of dough on three sides. Fold
over bare side of dough and pinch ends together. Spray lightly with cooking spray and wrap in plastic wrap. Wrap again in tin foil and freeze. To COOK: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Unwrap calzone and place on cookie sheet. Loosely cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Allow to rise, but not double. Cook 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden. Slice and serve.

Pork

Christy's Cheesy Sausage Bake
(This is one of those "I have no idea what to fix for dinner, so let's toss everything in a casserole and hope we can call it dinner" recipes.

1 lb. smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/2" slices
1 tsp. Lawry's season salt
1 soup can milk
2 eggs
1-1 lb. bag frozen vegetables (we started with broccoli, but now I use a garden or California blend)
1/2 c. diced onions (optional)
1 1/2 c. - 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

To freeze: Combine all ingredients and dump into 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.

To serve: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Pour contents into a bowl and mix with cooked macaroni or other pasta. I don't have an exact measurement on this, since I buy my pasta in bulk and just eyeball it. Probably 8 - 10 oz. uncooked macaroni.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until bubbly.

This is one of my kid's favorites! I'm glad it ended up freezing well!

PORK BARBECUE
Pork roast
BBQ sauce of your choice (I highly recommend "Bone Suckin' Sauce" from NC!)
Sandwich rolls or buns

Place pork roast and BBQ sauce in crockpot. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Shred, cool, bag and freeze. You can freeze the buns as well, so you have enough for your family, and can buy them in bulk.

Reheat and serve on buns with slaw on the side.

BBQ Spareribs
from Suzanne Brenchley

Boneless Pork spareribs
1 c. catsup
2 c. water
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 c. brown sugar

Mix all ingredients and boil for 3 minutes. Allow to cool. Place ribs in freezer bag and pour sauce over ribs. Lay flat to freeze.

To serve, thaw and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Baste ribs while baking. OR bake ribs at 300 - 325 for 2 - 3 hours.

Split Pea Soup
Makes 6 servings
(12-ounce) package dry, green split peas
3 cups water
1/2 pound cooked, cubed turkey ham
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup peeled, sliced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste

Rinse split peas, soak in cold water overnight; drain. Put peas with remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stirring occasionally, simmer about 2 hours until peas are tender and turn pasty. Cool and freeze.

To serve, thaw soup and simmer until warmed through. If too thick, add water.

VEGETARIAN

Tamale Corn Casserole
Serves 10
3 c. corn meal
8 c. water
6 cups whole kernel corn
2 c. chopped olives
1 c. chopped onion
2 c. tomato sauce
1/2 c. green chilies (opt.)

Boil water. Add corn meal. Cook until the consistency of mush. Cook corn,
olives, onion and chilies in tomato sauce over medium high heat until onion is transparent. If mixture boils down too much, add water. In casserole dish, place half of mush. Pour vegetable mixture over this. Top with remaining corn mush mixture. Cover; freeze. Place directly into 350 oven from freezer. Bake 2 hours or until hot and cooked through. This is very good!

Marinara Sauce
1 can tomatoes, peeled in juice (16 oz.) coarsely crushed
1/3 cup salad oil
6 garlic cloves -- pressed or minced
3 onions -- chopped
4 carrots -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons basil -- dried
1 tablespoon oregano -- dried
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a 5-quart or larger pot over medium heat. Cook garlic, onions
and carrots, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in tomatoes and juice,
basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer rapidly, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours or until sauce is very thick and reduced by about half. Ladle into freezer bag and lay flat to freeze.

Minestrone
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
3 1/2 c. (two 14 oz. Cans) reduced-sodium chicken broth (to make Vegan, usevegetable broth)
1 3/4 c. (15 oz. Can) Great Northern white beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. water
2/3 c. (6 oz. Can) Italian style tomato paste with tomato pesto
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
2 c. (2 large) sliced zucchini
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
1/3 c. small macaroni (add when reheating)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic;
cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in
broth, beans, water, tomato paste, seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Add zucchini and mixed vegetables. Bring to a boil, stirring to break up
vegetables. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or
until vegetables and pasta are tender. Freeze up to 4 months.
THAW soup overnight in refrigerator. Place partially thawed soup in large
saucepan. Add macaroni. Warm over medium heat until serving temperature and macaroni is tender. Makes 6 servings.

Light Alfredo Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 garlic cloves, pressed
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups skim milk
3 tablespoons light cream cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds. Blend in flour; cook and stir minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses and parsley until cheeses melt. Toss with fettuccine.
To Freeze: Allow to cool and ladle (sauce only) into 1 gallon Ziploc bag.
Lay flat to freeze.

Fettucine Romano
8 oz. fettucine or wide egg noodles
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. butter
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
2 c. water
1/4 c. grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

Cook fettucine in boiling, salted water until tender; drain well. Meanwhile,
saute onion in butter. Thoroughly blend in tomato paste and water; heat
through. Pour over hot cooked fettucine and toss with romano cheese. Fold in sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 4 - 6 servings.
NOTE: I just tripled this and bagged it up noodles and all for
freezing. It's probably one of the easiest recipes I have tried!

Alfredo Sauce
32 oz. cream cheese
2 c. butter (NOT MARGARINE)
3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
16 oz. heavy cream
pinch nutmeg (optional)
Melt all ingredients together over low heat, stirring constantly.

Calzones
2 loaves bread dough, frozen
6 oz. sliced mozzarella cheese
5 cups spaghetti sauce
Pizza toppings (to add to cheese filling, if wanted)

Thaw two loaves of bread dough. Divide each loaf into 6 parts each. One at a time, roll out each dough piece on a floured board or stretch with your
hands, making 12 7-inch squares. Fold each dough square over half a cheese slice to form a turnover, and pinch edges to seal (I use a fork). The book says that another option is that you can also ladle 1/3 cup sauce onto center of each square before making the turnover, but the sauce tends to seep out.

Place each turnover in a small sandwich bag, or wrap in plastic wrap. Put 6
turnovers in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Divide sauce in half and store in two
1-qt freezer bags; enclose bag of sauce in a bag of Calzones. Do the same for remaining 6 turnovers.

To prepare for serving, thaw sauce; heat in a medium pan 10-15 minutes until bubbly. At the same time, take frozen turnovers out of plastic, and place them about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet sprayed with a nonstick spray.

When thawed, preheat oven to 325. Bake for about 15 minutes. Turnovers will be golden brown when done. Ladle sauce on top of turnovers, and serve. Makes 12 servings.

Ultimate Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp olive oil
3 chopped onions
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 peppers, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 large can, undrained, of tomatoes, chopped
1 c. water
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1/2 c. bulgur
salt and pepper
cilantro (optional)
Directions:

In a large pan, saute the onions and spices. Add peppers and garlic for 1
min. Add cocoa, tomatoes, and water; bring to a boil. Add kidney and black beans, corn and bulgur. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 min. or until bulgur is cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. To serve, sprinkle with cilantro.

Ratatouille

Ingredients:
1 red onion
3 tsp garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 eggplant, cubed
2 zucchini sliced
1 19 oz can Tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp organo
1 19 oz can chickpeas
parmesan cheese and cayenne

Instructions:
1. Bring to a onion, garlic, greenpepper, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes to a boil in a large skillet or saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 15
minutes.

2. Add basil, thyme, oregano and chickpeas to saucepan and cook 5-10 minutes more.

3. Salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasoning.

Sprinkle parmesan and cayenne over ratatouille.

Veggie Burgers

15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse or blend until coarsely chopped. Do NOT puree. Chill mixture, then shape into 4 1/2" thick patties. Wrap and freeze.
To cook, thaw patties in microwave or overnight in the refrigerator, then broil 4-6" from heat for 10-12 minutes or until patties are thoroughly cooked.

Veggie Jambalaya

1 Tbsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups water
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
15 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained

PREPARATION:

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed.

OAMC Taco Stuffed Baked Potatoes(Vegetarian)
(serves 10)
Have 10 potatoes on hand

Have salsa on hand (3-4 cups)

2 cups yogurt or soy yogurt
12 ounces (3 cups) shredded soy cheese or dairy cheese, optional
Cooked red or black beans or any cooked beans, i.e., reds, whites, pintos, 4 cups

Store salsa, shredded cheese and cooked beans in separate plastic zippered plastic freezer bags in freezer. Thaw beans, cheese and salsa, preferably overnight in refrigerator.

Day of dinner:

Bake potatoes in oven in skins 40 minutes or until soft.
Heat beans through while potatoes are baking.

To serve, slice potatoes down center, spoon beans, cheese, salsa and yogurt over potatoes.

OAMC Vegetarian Fried Rice

(serves 10)
2 lb tofu or tempeh (steamed 10 min. and cooled)
(add additional 1 pound tofu if omitting eggs)
10 cups brown rice
3 tablespoons oil
6 tablespoons sesame seeds, crushed or ground
3 slices fresh ginger (omit, if dried, nit the same)
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 bunch shredded spinach leaves
6 eggs (optional), well beaten
1 cup whole peas or peas and diced carrots
3 tablespoons tamari

If you use eggs, preheat and oil the saute pan and pour the beaten eggs in in a very thin sheet, like a crepe. When eggs are thoroughly cooked, remove egg sheet from pan, cool and stack. When all the egg is used, shred into thin strips with scissors or a sharp knife and set aside. You can do this the day before.

In large heavy skillet or wok brown cracked sesame seeds and ginger in oil. Add tofu or tempeh and brown.

Now stir in onions, celery, and spinach leaves. When cooked through (a few minutes), add rice and peas. Mix with rice and vegetables.

Add egg strips if used and 3 tablespoons tamari, mix. Freeze in zippered plastic freezer bags.

OAMC Vegetarian Cabbage Roll Casserole

(serves 10)
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cups mushrooms, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cups sunflower seeds
1 head cabbage, shredded
4 cups tomato juice or tomato puree
Optional sweet-sour tang:
1/3 cup brown sugar (add to sauce)
3 tablespoons cider or rice wine vinegar (add to sauce)
1 cup raisins (add to rice with mushrooms)

In deep, heavy pot saute onion, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic and seeds. Add rice.

In large pan layer 1 cups juice or puree,then 1/3 of cabbage (approx.) then 2 cups rice and vegetable mixture.

Repeat twice. Pour remaining juice or puree over top. Cover and freeze.

To serve, place directly into 350 degrees oven from freezer. Bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours or more until cooked through.

OAMC Stuffed Peppers for the Freezer

OK, so everything else is cooked and assembled. This is the cleanup dish: everything left can go in here! Each batch makes 10.

8-10 large green peppers (or tomatoes or onions if you prefer)
4 cups cooked grain, rice, barley, millet, quinoa
4 teaspoons parsley
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
3 cups tomato sauce (half for stuffing, half for topping)
1 cup jicama, chopped (may substitute 2 cans drained sliced water chestnuts)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 peeled cucumber, chopped
4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds

Hollow peppers (or tomatoes or onions); steam until semi-soft. Steam by placing colander in heavy pot over 2-3 inches of boiling water. Put green peppers in colander to cool.

Mix remaining ingredients with half of tomato sauce. Stuff vegetables.

Place in zippered plastic freezer bags to freeze. Freeze remaining sauce in separate zippered freezer bag bag. To serve, place stuffed peppers in oiled casserole dish, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover dish. Bake at 350 degrees, just until hot.

Try this at least once with the cucumber, even if you have not had cooked cucumber before. The cucumber provides a little moisture, which is a benefit in cooking, adding to the moisture of the mixture in the pepper.

OAMC Black Bean Sloppy Joes (Vegetarian)

(serves 10)
1/4 cups olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2-4 tablespoons chili powder
1 green pepper, chopped
6 cups cooked black turtle beans
2-4 tablespoons Bragg Amino Acids
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups tomato sauce
When ready to serve you will need:
10 slices whole wheat bread or rolls
Sandwich fixings such as lettuce, tomatoes, pickle, mustard

In large skillet or pan, saute onions and peppers in olive oil, and chili powder and cook until just fragrant. Add remaining ingredients, simmer briefly. Freeze in zippered plastic freezer bag. To serve, thaw overnight in refrigerator, heat through. Serve on bread or rolls.

3 Cheese Potato Soup

This soup is great by itself, but also a nice way to use up leftovers as stir-ins. I have added ham, broccoli, chicken, peas, and other sundry bits and pieces to make this a very versatile freezer staple.

3 Tbsp. butter
1 c. onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic powder
6 - 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup
2 soup cans milk
1 8oz. package cream cheese (light is fine)
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1 c. grated Parmesan or cheddar
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, cooking until soft. Add potatoes and enough water to barely cover. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender (15 - 20 minutes). In a medium-size bowl, combine soup and milk until smooth. Pour soup mixture into potato mixture and stir over low heat. Add cheeses, and stir until smooth. Heat, but do not boil. Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.

To Freeze: Allow soup to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.

To serve: Reheat in microwave or over low heat on the stovetop, stirring constantly to keep from burning. Add in any additional ingredients and heat through.[/quote]
sas719 wrote:
Here are a few from my meal swap group that my family has enjoyed

Outback's Alice's Spring Chicken
1/2 c. grey poupon
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp lemon juice
4 chicken breasts
1 TB oil
2 TB butter
salt, pepper and paprika
8 slices of cooked bacon
1 c each monterey jack and cheddar cheese shredded

Whip in blender mustard, honey, oil and lemon juice for 30 seconds. Pour 2/3 of mixture over chicken and refridgerate at least 2 hours. Save remaining marinade for later.
Heat oven to 375. Pan sear chicken (I pound it out pretty flat so it cooks evenly.) Place in oven safe pan and brush with remaining marinade. Season with s/p and paprika. Stack 2 peices of bacon crosswise and top with cheese. bake until fully cooked.

If I'm freezing this, I put raw chicken and marinade together then freeze in a ziploc bag.

Chicken Marengo
chicken (whatever you've got!)
2 TB oil
salt/pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
small onion
chicken broth
1/2 c white wine

Saute onion in oil, add garlic, chicken, wine and tomatoes and seaon. Cover and let simmer until chicken is cooked. Shred chicken and add back in. Serve over rice
I've done this on the stove top and also in crock pot.

Apricot Chicken
1 lb chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 jar of apricot jam
1/2 package of onion soup mix
a little bit of water

put everything in a crockpot and cook 4-5 hours on high

Orange Sticky Chicken

1 tsp each pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil
2 tsp each salt and paprika
1 orange
1/4 c orange juice
1 large roasting chicken
I also add a bit of Harry and David's orange peppercorns

Place chicken in Ziploc bag add spices and rub bag to even out spices and add orange juice. Refridgerate 12-24 hrs. Remove from bag and fill cavity with orange chunks. Place in large roasting pan and roast at 300 until done (takes a few hours) once juices have formed, baste often.
To make with chicken parts roast parts atop a bed of orange slices.

Can be frozen raw or fully cooked (minus the orange)

Sweet and Sour Pork
1/2c brown sugar
1/4 c ketchup
1 tsp soy sauce
salt, pepper and paprika to taste
pork chops or country style ribs

mix together, add pork, place in ziploc bag for 24 hours or freeze
great on the grill!

Fried Chicken
This chicken is great!
4 TB salt
3 TB onion powder
2 TB paprika
2 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
chicken
oil for frying

mix spices, baking powder and flour in a large bowl
heat oil
rinse chicken and coat with dry ingredients. for extra crispy chicken, dip in water and flour mixture again
fry until done (about 15 minutes) turning once. drain on paper towels

to freeze: let chicken cool, place uncovered in freezer on a cookie sheet over night then transfer to ziploc bags

to reheat: bake @ 400 for 15 minutes turn, bake another 15 mins, turn again bake 5 minutes more

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves/Yields: 8 -12 servings
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients
5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
2 packages garlic-flavor Boursin or Rondele brand spiced cheese
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
Directions
Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place in 5- to 6-quart pan.

Add water to cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to the pan.

Mash potatoes with a potato masher until light and dry. Stir in cheese and milk. Mash until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cool potatoes to room temperature. Divide potatoes into 8- to 9-inch oven safe casserole dishes. Cover with foil; freeze.

Reheat covered at 375 degrees, 40 minutes for thawed potatoes, 90 minutes straight from freezer.

Chicken Biscuit Casserole
Serves/Yields: 6-8 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Category: Freezer Cooking

Ingredients
3 cups chicken -- cooked and cubed
3 cups chicken broth
4 carrots -- sliced 1" thick
1 onion -- chopped
4 stalks celery -- sliced 1/2" thick
8 ounces mushrooms -- halved
2 garlic cloves -- sliced
1 can peas -- (8 oz.) canned
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
10 biscuits -- (tube or fresh)
1 freezer bag -- jumbo
Directions
Bring chicken broth to a boil; add carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms and garlic; simmer 10 minutes. Add cubed chicken meat and peas; simmer 5 minutes more. Mix cornstarch with cold water in measuring cup; add slowly until chicken mixture has consistency of gravy. Remove from heat; cool.

To freeze: pour into round casserole dish (2-qt capacity). Cover with aluminum foil; flash freeze, then wrap in jumbo freezer bag.

To prepare: thaw casserole before cooking. Place in 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and place uncooked biscuits (either from "tube" or scratch--my family enjoys their "chicken biscuits" cut with a chicken-shaped cookie cutter) in slightly-overlapping circles on top of casserole. Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, until mixture is bubbling and biscuits are golden brown.

Mim's Cabbage Rolls
Serves/Yields: 4-6 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time:

Ingredients
1 cabbage head
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup rice -- uncooked
1/4 cup cold water
2 eggs
1 16 oz. can tomatoes, peeled in juice, crushed
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt -- to taste
pepper -- to taste
1 freezer bag -- jumbo

Directions
Separate cabbage into leaves; stack loosely in large skillet and add 1 " water. Cover and steam cabbage leaves until soft. Cool. Combine ground beef, nutmeg, rice, water and eggs. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each leaf; roll up and place seam side down in baking pan.

To make sauce, mash canned tomatoes and mix with tomato sauce. Add brown sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage rolls.

To freeze: cover pan with aluminum foil. Flash freeze; place casserole inside freezer bag.

To prepare: thaw casserole completely before cooking. Bake covered dish in 400-degree oven for 1 hour; remove cover and bake 15 minutes more.[/quote]

Easy Indian Butter Chicken

1 onion, chopped finely
2 tablespoons fresh minced gingerroot
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons garam masala
16 ounces tomato paste
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup single cream (half and half)
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
1/4 cup melted butter

1. Cut chicken into 3/4" cubes.
2. Heat oil & cook the onion & ginger until brown stir in the garam masala.
3. Put in onion and ginger in blender together with tomato paste and chicken stock blend until smooth.
4. Put back into the pan & add the cream (1/2 & 1/2) reduce a little set aside.
5. Heat 1 TBL of butter & add chicken cook until no longer pink in the middle.
6. Pour the butter sauce back into the pan and add remaining butter.
*After it cools, I put just enough for the family into bags and freeze. When ready to eat, I take it out before I go to work to thaw, when I get home, I put it into a casserole dish and heat at350 until hot.*

Freezer Taco Meal

1 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
6-8 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups water
1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 green onion, sliced
1/3 cup frozen corn
1 onion, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
1 chicken bouillon cube

1. Add rice, water, corn, green onion, bullion and roughly half of the diced tomatoes to a rice cooker. Cook as you normally would. (Or, bring to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat and simmer until done, about 12-15 minutes.) Cool thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, brown beef and onion in skillet. Drain off the fat (I usually rinse it off under hot water in a mesh colander.) Add the seasoning mix and remaining tomatoes (including the juice,) stir well. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, if you are using block cheese, shred it. Toss with as little cornstarch as is possible (this will help keep the pieces from forming a single glob in the freezer.) If you buy pre-shredded cheese, you don't need it.
4. TO ASSEMBLE: Make sure that all food is cooled enough that it won't melt a ziplock bag. The ground meat should fit into a quart sized bag. The rice should also fit into a quart sized bag. The cheese will probably fit into a sandwich size bag. The tortillas may need a gallon size, depending on what kind you use. If you made beans, I'd put them in a quart bag. After all of the food is in bags, smooth it out so that you have nice flat bags, being careful not the break the seals. Freeze on something flat, such as a cookie sheet. The next day, or several hours later, place all ingredients in one gallon or 1 1/2 gallon bag and seal.
5. TO REHEAT: First off, smash the bag of cheese to separate the pieces, and pour in to a serving dish to defrost on the counter. Microwave the beans, rice, and meat together in their bags on high for 3 minutes. Remove them each to a serving bowl, and microwave 3-10 minutes more, depending on how many bowls fit into your microwave at once. (You may need to smash the bags to separate the food, and break it up with a fork. I like to stir it once in the middle of reheating because microwaves don't heat evenly.) The tortillas should separate easily, and only need 30-40 seconds to warm them by the time everything else is warmed. The rice may need a tablespoon of water or broth added so it doesn't taste dry.
6. It sounds complicated, but really you get a nice meal, and few dishes, in 10-15 minutes or reheating / set the table time.

Chicken Pot Pies

Filling
4 chicken breasts
2 cups potatoes, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Pastry
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening, plus
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1/3-1/2 cup cold water

1. Cut the chicken breasts up into one-inch pieces and add to a large pot. Cover just to the top with water and boil for 20 minutes, or until done. Reserve the water (broth) for use later in the recipe.
2. Meanwhile, chop the potatoes and par-boil.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in melted butter until tender. Whisk in flour and stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth and milk and whisk, stirring constantly, until smooth, thick and bubbly. Stir in chicken, potatoes, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. To make pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening into mixture becomes coarse crumbs the size of peas. Add cold water 1 tbsp at a time and mix gently until dough becomes a sticky ball. Divide into 8 equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll 4 parts into 10-inch circles.
5. Place pastry circles into four 6-inch disposable pie pans. Divide chicken mixture evenly into pie pans. Roll the last 4 portions of pastry into circles. Place over the tops of the pans and fold edges under and flute. Cut slits in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
6. Cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
7. To serve, bake frozen pies uncovered at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until brown.[/quote]
laurata's Avatar laurata 12:33 AM 08-20-2010
I started my list! My meal planning is a touch complicated because of our dietary restrictions, so some recipes will need to be tweaked.

Our restrictions:
Vegetarian (dh and dd, I rarely eat meat as well)
No Shellfish (anaphylactic allergy- me)
No eggs (nasty eczema- dd3)
No dairy (eczema, intestinal pain- me)
No gluten (me, ds, maybe dd3)
No oats (me)
No navy beans (ds doesn't tolerate them well)
No garlic (ds)

Here's my idea list so far:
https://docs.google.com/document/edi...uthkey=CMzklEI

So far I have one gf vegan pizza crust. (And toppings, but I'm glad we froze them seperate because I tried cooking one frozen crust with the toppings and it was mushy and GROSS. I'll just make up and parbake the crusts from now on.) I also have black bean chili on the stove right now, and plan to freeze half tonight.
Multimomma's Avatar Multimomma 12:05 PM 08-20-2010
I tend to just double my dinners in the second trimester, and freeze half before even serving. I'm already cooking, so it's not a big amount of time or energy I wasn't already using.

I also tend to just cook and freeze part of the meal...chopped veggies or fruits, a few pounds of ground beef, or strips of chicken breast. If I want to add seasonings, i can line up the containers, add the seasonings over the top and let them freeze with the food. Meatloaf, i love to just add the ingredients and refreeze raw, so that the meat is more tender when cooked, and you can do that with other meats.

You can do just dough also, our double yeast bread I'll go through one rise, then roll out into golf ball sizes. Freeze them on a cookie sheet, and then roll into a storage container/bag. Then they can rise later, it takes a few hours to rise, but honestly it tastes so yummy to have freshly cooked bread that its worth it. I have to pull stuff out of the freezer anyway!
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula 09:13 PM 08-20-2010
I would like to have at least 10-15 freezer meals.

I plan on the following casserole type dishes:

Lasagna
Amish breakfast casserole
quiche
chicken pot pie
shepherds pie
meatballs/sauce
enchiladas -- beef and chicken
mac'n'cheese
splath's Avatar splath 12:54 PM 08-30-2010
Here are a couple more I came across that I want to do up:

french bread pizzas: http://randomrecipes.blogspot.com/20...ead-pizza.html (not so much the recipe, just the concept)

homemade hamburger helper: http://www.chickensintheroad.com/blo...burger-helper/

lactation cookie dough: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lacta...ncreasing.html

sloppy joe filling

chili

cooked taco meat
artteacher's Avatar artteacher 11:22 PM 09-03-2010
this is so awesome! i am so excited to start cooking!!!!!
1 2 

Up