Weigh in on weight gain - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know I have no great advice here. My first pregnancy I was 5'7" 135. I gained well over 45 pounds. I have no idea why. Maybe I ate more junk, I know I ate more overall because I had heartburn so I ate a lot to soothe it. But I thought I ate pretty healthy, cheese and grapes and crackers were my snack, I drank a lot of water.

This time I started at 128 pounds, and at 20 weeks, I have gained maybe 2-3 pounds. I had hyperemesis both times. I don't think I ate any differently, I know it's not a healthy diet, I eat what I can get down. Last time I gained 15 pounds by 12 weeks.

First time I was told baby was measuring on target. This time I am told baby is measuring big. I have really no clue as to the difference in weight, it's not intentional by any means, and both times I have been unable to exercise because of the hyperemesis. DD was 8 pounds when born.

I wouldn't stress and wouldn't let the midwife stress about it either.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#32 of 55 Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Last time I was really not wanting to know the numbers so I had my MW not tell me the wt. but let me know if I needed to increase or decrease intake. The stupid OB nurse insisted telling me when I was admitted to L and D so I know I gained 28 pounds total.

This time I'm ok with knowing. I see a dietition for gestational diabetes. Her scale shows only a 6 pound wt. gain at 22 weeks. She freaked out and wants me to eat avocados and flax oil with every meal. Had an OB appointment 2 days later and her scale shows a 10 pound wt. gain. OB didn't even mention it. Not really sure how to take it, but just continuing to eat healthy food when I'm hungry and exercising when my body feels well. Seems like a pretty wide range for what's healthy for each woman and each pregnancy.
#33 of 55 Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM

I gained 60 pounds last time! It was crazy. I went from 130 to 190. I told DH that he better gain some weight so I did not weigh more than him He jokes that he still has not lost the "baby weight"!

The OB said that since I had been underweight the year before, my body was probably just stocking up, just in case. I was on my feet working and eating decently. Although I did follow their stupid "low salt" advice which I am not now and noticing the swelling is dramatically less this time around. I am up about 10 pounds now.

I would try not to stress about it. Just eat the best you can.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#34 of 55 Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 AM

With DD #1 I started out 110lbs at 5'0'' and gained up to 156 by the time she was born. With this pregnancy i started out weighing more than I did when I had DD #1 and i've only gained 2lbs...my doctor hasn't said anything to me but i'm almost 24 weeks and I figured I would have gained more than that. I'm greatful that I haven't though because I was in the process of losing my weight that I gained before me and my DH got to gether when we finally got pregnant!!!!! I wouldn't worry too much about weight gain because everyone will lose and gain weight differently...and obviously it's even different from pregnancy to pregnancy with the same woman.

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#35 of 55 Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'll definitely check back in after my next appt and let you know MW's reaction to this next scale reading.

Except for a bad day here or there, I've been pretty vigilent about my calories and monitoring the weight- I've been much better about getting healthy snacks and more protein, so I hope it shows!!!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#36 of 55 Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started out around 110 lbs and am about 5'4 tall - so definitely on the skinny side, but I've always been that way and never had to watch what I eat (I have a crazy high metabolism). At my 24 week appointment last week I weighed 132, which is a gain of around 22 lbs. My midwife says that's a little more than I need to have gained at this point, but that since I started so small it's not that big of a deal and she expects me to gain around 35-40 total.

I never had any morning sickness and have a pretty healthy appetite anyway, which increased almost immediately after the BFP. So I started gaining right away. I think part of the reason I've gained more than expected is that I'm feeding my cravings as well as trying to eat good stuff too. So I do feel like I'm eating more than I actually WANT to eat, because I'll eat something bad for me cause I want it (like something carb-filled and sugary or greasy/fatty), and then I have to make myself eat some veggies and/or healthy proteins.

I'm really not that worried about it. I look great - all the extra weight is in my belly and boobs (only a little extra in the butt/thighs). I don't even look pregnant from the back. I don't want to go crazy and gain 50+ (that would be a LOT of weight on my small frame) but I think I'm doing fine. I just need to eat ONE brownie, not FOUR and one cheeseburger with lots of veggies on the side instead of two cheeseburgers and fries.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#37 of 55 Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
weight is not usally something I talk about. But, I was 203 at the begining. My last apoinmetn I was 211. so 8 pounds so far.
I haven't been feeling well for a couple of days and have been losing about a pound a day.
I don't even want to go on the scale anymore.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#38 of 55 Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy912 View Post
thanks for all the chiming in!

I think I will just plan to up my exercise (I honestly did nothing...like NOTHING the first 4 months of this pregnancy, so I am starting with adding 1 mile every other day on the treadmill and two yoga workouts.

I wasn't really watching my food, so I've started my food journal again and I am going to make sure I am getting my water and tea daily, which will hopefully curb my drinking of caloric beverages. It's also making me realize when I haven't eaten enough protein.

The food journal will help me slow down with the chocolate/sweets/cookies, which are my downfall too.

The food journal sounds like an excellent idea, but please don't kick yourself if you have an occasional goodie. Moderation is key here (but isn't it always?)

Speaking of moderation... be gentle with your new exercise routine. If you've don't "nothing" for four months, start slowly. Your body will tell you how much you can handle. And drink water!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#39 of 55 Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 AM

Well, I fixed my scale, and was dreading getting on it. I feel HUGE! and I have gone up a pants size due to my now rather large butt. However, it is not awful. I have gained 17 lbs, most of them in the 1st trimester when I was only really eating pasta and bread. With my last pregnancy I gained about 35lbs. I am guessing it will be similar this time around. And I lost it all and then some in a matter of months.

I have started to monitor my eating as I am measuring my blood sugar 1 and 2 hours after each meal now. I don't want to do the OGT, but also don't want to mess about with GD (if I have it. I didn't have it last time). I think this monitoring will help me get my snacking under control.

I am also looking forward to more walking when this heat abates! I really need it.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#40 of 55 Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM

hello all,

This is my first pregnancy and I'm at 25 weeks and I've gained about 15 pounds. I started out at 162, I'm 5'9", and my bmi is normal, I'm fairly muscular. I've been pretty much eating when I'm hungry. I was a big snacker before pregnancy, so I am still snacking, although in the first trimester, I was hungry all the time in the morning. Then, this trimester, my appetite has felt fairly normal. Although, with this heat, and it being summer, I've been enjoying ice cream every day or every other day. But, I just have about a scoop/scoop and a half... which is probably what I would have eaten even not being pregnant.
#41 of 55 Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think weight is that much of a problem IF it all comes from healthy eating. An ice cream a day is simply an ice cream a day-- it isn't pregnancy weight, it is just fat on your bodyand it is hard to loose after the fact. This is true for nursing calories too. I've had very, very different experiences with loosing weight gain from healthy eating than unhealthy eating. I get huge sugar cravings when pregnant and nursing but I finally figured out that I can satisfy them (grumpily) with healthy carbs.

Most women report that weight loss is harder with subsequent pregancies so don't assume the experience will be the same.
#42 of 55 Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersmama View Post
i have gained 21 lbs. so far, but started out at a low bmi, low body fat. i have a post about it in 'my butt is totally freaking me out'. my midwife is not concerned at this point. i gained 55 lbs. with my first pregnancy, and likewise, my midwife was not concerned. i lost 30 lbs. in the first 2 weeks after giving birth.

make healthy food choices as much as possible and try to move your body, work up a small sweat a few times a week.
I'm where you are. I've gained about 21 lbs and I'm 23 weeks. I started out at 5'5" and started out at 126lbs. I'm 147 now. I'm not really worried. I actually even let myself gain a few extra lbs from my normal weight when we were TTC. I did the same thing with my 1st pregnancy. I ended up gaining 50lbs. 8 of it seemed to be mostly water weight though. Since I lost 8lbs about a week before I delivered. But you could visiably see how much my swelling had went down. I lost it all pretty quickly too. I was fitting into my size 4 jeans about a week pp although I was over a few lbs from normal until 2 months pp. Then after that I started loosing weight like it was my job or something. I had to eat a boat load and stopped excerising and ended up being 12 lbs under my prepregancy weight at 12 months pp. I finally started to gain some back when my period returned soon after that.

I think I'm pretty much on target to do the same this time. 21 lbs seems like a lot, but most people who look at me say they can't even tell I'm pregnant from the back. I've just got this huge belly growing. I keep a fairly decent diet although I usually allow myself one treat a day and I excerise fairly consistently too. I would say I'm more conscious about eating healthily while pregnant that I am when I'm not. I usually spend 2-3 times/week in the gym doing 30 mins on the eliptical and some strength training.

I was 30 for my 1st pregnancy and I'm 33 now. I know they say that it's harder as you get older and 2nd pregnancies are not always as easy to loose the weight as the first. But I feel like I know my body and it'll be okay. It's just what my body needs during pregnancy. I need the extra weight and if I didn't I wouldn't be gaining it.
#43 of 55 Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM

I am 25 weeks and gained 24 lbs. I always gain a LOT during pregnancies, and it comes right off. I am not concerned. I started out at 128 and am now I think 152. Last time I hit 178. My first time I hit 164. It was all off by 4 months pp though, so I don't worry. I don't seem to gain much the last month, I am thinking I will be around 164 this time as well. My butt and thighs have gotten bigger, my face a little bigger, but my belly is HUGE.
#44 of 55 Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

AT 23 weeks still at 5 lbs.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#45 of 55 Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm at 22 weeks, and am just up about 4 lbs. I was 159, and that was a good weight for me at 5'9 and with my build. I (and others) can tell I'm losing weight from other parts of my body- my face and arms look thinner. And I haven't been sick at all! so it's not like I lost weight throwing up in T1.

I figure I should "eat when I'm hungry" & eat healthily, which I'm doing, but the fact I'm slimming out is kind of worrying to me & DH. I've got an appointment Monday & I'll ask the midwife about it, I guess. I may be one of those ladies who just gains all their weight in T3!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#46 of 55 Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM

It sounds like you and I are similar at about the same height and pre-pregnancy weight. I have gained about 15 pounds, but it's been holding steady for a month and I'm the smallest woman in a pre-natal group of about 6, with one woman sharing the exact same due date. I kind of wonder if I'm losing some muscle and that's going to the kid? I hope not. But, my sister said she mostly gained her weight in the last tri-mester, so perhaps that's what's happening to you and me. In the meantime, my belly keeps getting bigger. But, it is funny, because people who don't know me well, keep saying you hardly look pg, while people who do know me, think I do.

And, geez, hips and thighs have grown, I tried to just pull on my pre-pg pants a few weeks ago, just to see how high I could get them and it was not gonna happen. It's a little strange, b/c I was prepared for big belly, but somehow bigger butt and thighs seems more alarming.
Oh, sigh*, these are the prices we pay for bringing a new life in the world.
#47 of 55 Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieABS View Post
But, it is funny, because people who don't know me well, keep saying you hardly look pg, while people who do know me, think I do.
I'm getting this daily. No one believes me when I tell them that I'm over halfway done with pregnancy! People who know me can definitely see I have more of a belly, and it's those that REALLY know me who can tell I'm losing weight elsewhere. I had our ultrasound a couple weeks ago, and Baby was measuring right on, so I at least know that HE'S growing fine, whether I "look pregnant" or not!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#48 of 55 Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlgirl View Post
AT 23 weeks still at 5 lbs.
I am the EXACT same as you due to the same day so 23 weeks and have also gained 5 lbs! Baby is measuring perfect with a tape measure at 23 weeks

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#49 of 55 Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Is there anyone who understands my plight at all? I am 24 weeks and have gained 25+ pounds, and I was OVERweight to start with, at 5'3'' and 165 pounds. It seems like no matter how much I restrict my diet, I gain weight at breakneck speed (and I don't mean restricting to unhealthy levels at all, but I am not by any means eating what I what, or as often as I want). Granted, I am not a big exerciser, although I do go for a vigorous walk every day. I am just really freaked out by this because I feel like it is completely out of my control and that I will never lose the weight afterwards.

I know there are plenty of people who gain a lot during pregnancy, but it seems like they all started out pretty thin, so it didn't matter that much. I feel kind of alone with this. I absolutely dread going to the OB's office and getting weighed every month. They haven't really been mean about it, but I don't know how long that'll last.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#50 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
I am the EXACT same as you due to the same day so 23 weeks and have also gained 5 lbs! Baby is measuring perfect with a tape measure at 23 weeks
Well, I am not this blessed. I have held steady at 175lbs for 6 weeks now. My walking activity has increased and my food intake consist of smarter portions, although not always smarter choices.

I would love to hold on to this number until the 3rd trimester, I am only 5'6" and I was 148 to begin with. With DD, T3 brought on a 1lb/week easily!
#51 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
I am 25 weeks and gained 24 lbs. I always gain a LOT during pregnancies, and it comes right off. I am not concerned. I started out at 128 and am now I think 152. Last time I hit 178. My first time I hit 164. It was all off by 4 months pp though, so I don't worry. I don't seem to gain much the last month, I am thinking I will be around 164 this time as well. My butt and thighs have gotten bigger, my face a little bigger, but my belly is HUGE.
If I recall you correctly, you are always an uber-breastmilk producer. Is that connected to how easily the weight comes off? My DD was born in April 2008 and I thought I recognized you from that DDC.
#52 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
Is there anyone who understands my plight at all? I am 24 weeks and have gained 25+ pounds, and I was OVERweight to start with, at 5'3'' and 165 pounds. It seems like no matter how much I restrict my diet, I gain weight at breakneck speed (and I don't mean restricting to unhealthy levels at all, but I am not by any means eating what I what, or as often as I want). Granted, I am not a big exerciser, although I do go for a vigorous walk every day. I am just really freaked out by this because I feel like it is completely out of my control and that I will never lose the weight afterwards.

I know there are plenty of people who gain a lot during pregnancy, but it seems like they all started out pretty thin, so it didn't matter that much. I feel kind of alone with this. I absolutely dread going to the OB's office and getting weighed every month. They haven't really been mean about it, but I don't know how long that'll last.

Nothing to say of any help. But thought a virtual might at least brighten your day.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#53 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post
ME!

I had just lost weight to get to 160 at 5'4" when I got pregnant, and I've gained 29 lbs so far. I'm a little sad because it takes a lot of exercise for me to lose weight, and I know it won't happen for six to nine months after baby's born. That's just the way my body works. I'm carefully tracking my intake, and I'm vigorously walking two miles a day, plus taking care of eight kids all day, so I'm really not just laying around. If hater's wanna hate, that's their problem.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#54 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry.swirl View Post
Is that connected to how easily the weight comes off? My DD was born in April 2008 and I thought I recognized you from that DDC.
My SIL is like that, as she nurses the weight comes off. I have no problem with supply, and the weight stays on me no matter what, until the baby is nine months old. So I think some people are just lucky with their metabolism that way, and some people are better at storing fat than others. I'm a storer!

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#55 of 55 Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This thread makes me feel better. I'm 26 weeks (as of tomorrow) and up somewhere between 20 and 25 lbs. I was gaining PERFECTLY until about a month ago and then it really accelerated. Doesn't help that I'm on vacation visiting family across the country!! I just wish it would slow down. I'm not swelled at all either so its not 'water weight'. I really only look pregnant in the belly and breasts (besides the stretch marks on my butt...). I think I look great naked now but I'm pretty sure the fat is getting stored in my back, butt, and love handles.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page