Weigh in on weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2010, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I had my regular 4 week appointment with the mw and discovered that she was not a fan of my increased weight gain this past month. At 23 weeks, I have roughly gained 18-20 pounds. I honestly didn't think that was bad- I thought I was on target, but apparently not.

So here's my problem- I was so stunned that I had fallen off the wagon, that I didn't think to ask any clarifying questions. I honestly don't know the amount of calories I should be getting, how "overweight" I am, if I need to not gain any weight this month, or whatever.

I am 5' 3". I was a healthy 130 before pregnant, and like I said, now, at 23 weeks I am 148.8 (as of this morning). Do you have any advice on how many calories I should be eating daily? I used to be much more active, but since the pregnancy, I have not done much. I am doing gentle yoga for 40 minutes twice weekly and am trying to get in 30 minute walks most nights.

I would like to be within the healthy range for weight gain, but I just want to make sure I make "safe" adjustments to my calories, ya know?

If you are feeling especially open, I'd love to hear your total weight gain to date based on your # of weeks along in the pregnancy and what your eating/calorie/food intake strategy is.

Thanks mamas!

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

PS I am 27 years old (28 in September) in case that factors into the amount of calories I should be getting.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 AM

They say you should only be consume 100-300 calories more a day. I'm 31 and 5' 3.5". Prepregnancy I was 162 lbs. I gained 2 the first month. Nothing the second month. 4 lbs the third month. And last month I lost 2. So I'm only up 4lbs at 19 weeks. Granted I have some excess weight to begin with. My midwife didn't like the fact that I lost 2 pounds. But she said since I had extra she wasn't worried. So if anything I would say that you shouldn't lose weight just maintain or gain a small amount.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 AM

I believe the average healthy weight gain during pregnancy is 25-30 pounds. This is totally off the top of my head and I'm close to passing out so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I am 5'1" and hardly gained any weight the first few months. In fact, one month I lost a pound or two. I am now about 7 pounds heavier than my prepregnancy weight. My next prenatal is Monday, so we'll see what my midwife thinks about that.

I'm a backup doula for one mama-to-be and she told me that at her 5 month prenatal appointment, she discovered she had gained 30 pounds. Her OB told her to stop gaining weight. She was like, impossible!...I have a baby to grow! I think as of her due date on Fri, she gained a total of 60 pounds during her pregnancy? Probably on the excessive end of the spectrum. But it varies a bit per person and I'm sure your height and prepregnancy weight plays a role in what the healthy limits are to weight gain.

I have no idea about caloric intake. I have never had the patience to count calories. :-/ Maybe instead try to focus on the kind of food you're eating? Fresh produce vs processed foods, fried vs non-fat...that sort of thing.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM

I am 5'5", weighed 131ish at the beginning of pregnancy. In the first month or so I dropped 4 lbs or so, then very slowly got back up to 132 by 18 weeks. Then in the last month I gained 10 lbs, now at almost 23 weeks I'm up to 142 lbs. My biggest fear is gaining water weight because with my 2 lb preemie, I gained almost nothing until 28 weeks, then gained 20 lbs of all water in 2 weeks, until my BP spiked and I delivered. I was probably the only mom depressed about being 10 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight a few months after delivery! This time I think the weight is fat and baby so far, so I'm excited! My dr said 25 lbs is typical to gain, usually in the late second and third trimesters.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM

I am about 5'7" inches and prepregnancy, I think I weighed 134.5. I hadn't weighed myself since Christmas, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Since I have a normal BMI, my target weight gain is 25 - 35 pounds.

As of 3 days ago at 21 weeks, I had gained 9.5 pounds total.

My friend who is CNP says that her OB dr. she works for tells women that you should gain 1/3 of the weight by 20 weeks. So I expect that I will gain 30 pounds total with this pregnancy based on that figure.

I don't count calories, and actually, I'm trying desperately to increase my protein intake (I don't eat meat) because my uterus is still measuring a tad bit small. I do eat super healthy though...here's a break down of my planned meals for today, in case that helps:

pre workout snack: 1 homemade super nutty granola bar

breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal; 3/4 c. whole milk plain yogurt; flax meal; 1 large peach; 1 t. honey all mixed together

lunch: um, probably 2/3 c. homemade hummus, veggie sticks, and a bowl of seitan and veggies (homemade)

snack 1: fruit with cheese

snack 2: piece of homemade whole wheat bread with peanut butter

dinner: salmon patty (I do eat fish) on homeamde bun (but white wheat this time) with a dash of mayo; salad with maybe a tiny bit of Ranch dressing or vinegariette if I get around to making it; steamed and grilled potatoes (also fat free)

snack 3, if needed: fruit with a few almonds

Today is an easy exercise day for me, as I am just going to go walk a few miles this morning; yesterday I swam 1 mile, and the day before I bicycled 20 miles (which was too much).

I hope that helps... and maybe you could call your midiwfe and ask for some more clarification...because not eating if you are hungry sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! That's basically what I try to do: eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full....ha ha...sometimes much easier said than done!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
I am about 5'7" inches and prepregnancy, I think I weighed 134.5. I hadn't weighed myself since Christmas, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Since I have a normal BMI, my target weight gain is 25 - 35 pounds.

As of 3 days ago at 21 weeks, I had gained 9.5 pounds total.

My friend who is CNP says that her OB dr. she works for tells women that you should gain 1/3 of the weight by 20 weeks. So I expect that I will gain 30 pounds total with this pregnancy based on that figure.

I don't count calories, and actually, I'm trying desperately to increase my protein intake (I don't eat meat) because my uterus is still measuring a tad bit small. I do eat super healthy though...here's a break down of my planned meals for today, in case that helps:

pre workout snack: 1 homemade super nutty granola bar

breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal; 3/4 c. whole milk plain yogurt; flax meal; 1 large peach; 1 t. honey all mixed together

lunch: um, probably 2/3 c. homemade hummus, veggie sticks, and a small bowl of black bean soup (homemade, fat free)

snack 1: fruit with cheese

snack 2: piece of homemade whole wheat bread with peanut butter

dinner: salmon patty (I do eat fish) on homeamde bun (but white wheat this time) with a dash of mayo; salad with maybe a tiny bit of Ranch dressing or vinegariette if I get around to making it; steamed and grilled potatoes (also fat free)

snack 3, if needed: fruit with a few almonds

Today is an easy exercise day for me, as I am just going to go walk a few miles this morning; yesterday I swam 1 mile, and the day before I bicycled 20 miles (which was too much).

I hope that helps... and maybe you could call your midiwfe and ask for some more clarification...because not eating if you are hungry sounds like a recipe for disaster to me! That's basically what I try to do: eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full....ha ha...sometimes much easier said than done!
I am very impressed by your diet and especially that you make everything yourself I'm equally impressed by how much exercise you do whilst pregnant. I feel VERY lazy now

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm 5'7"-5'8", 135 lbs pre-pregnancy.

I dropped to 125 lbs from morning sickness, then gained it back. Now I'm at about 137-138 lbs.

This jives with my last pregnancy- I gained 10 lbs total with DD. Granted, I was running 3 miles/day until the day I delivered, so that probably had a lot to do with it.

I totally get how frustrating it can be to have someone judge your weight, whether you're considered to be gaining "too much" or "too little." I took a lot of flack with my last pregnancy for being so small, but I was in great shape, really healthy, and delivered a totally healthy, beautiful little girl, so whatever.

I don't like the guidelines regarding weight.... I think your body knows how much you need to gain!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=wholewheatchick;15723635]I don't count calories, and actually, I'm trying desperately to increase my protein intake (I don't eat meat) because my uterus is still measuring a tad bit small.[QUOTE]

I don't think it's unusual to measure small when you're an avid exerciser....I measured small the entire time with DD, and she was 6 lbs, 4 oz at birth, and that was at exactly 38 weeks.

Also, I have a hunch that first-timers measure smaller, ESPECIALLY when you have some abdominal muscles anyway...

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=ein328;15723877][QUOTE=wholewheatchick;15723635]I don't count calories, and actually, I'm trying desperately to increase my protein intake (I don't eat meat) because my uterus is still measuring a tad bit small.
Quote:

I don't think it's unusual to measure small when you're an avid exerciser....I measured small the entire time with DD, and she was 6 lbs, 4 oz at birth, and that was at exactly 38 weeks.

Also, I have a hunch that first-timers measure smaller, ESPECIALLY when you have some abdominal muscles anyway...
Thank you so much for that! I believe that, too, but the midwife just doesn't seem to "get" how much I did, and still do, exercise...but most people don't, lol. I'm trying not to let it bother me too much.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
123 lbs pre-pregnancy, 134 currently (was 137 until I got sick) at 23 weeks 3 days.

Total gain: 11 lbs (14 lbs prior to illness).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 PM

I started out at a BMI of 22/23, which is normal/healthy. I've gained about 20lbs at about 23w. My midwife says I'm fine. I look farther along than I am, because of the extra skin I had from having weight-loss surgery. I looked pregnant long before I actually was!

I hope to stay in the 30-40lb range of weight gain. My babes at term are 8-8.5lbs.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 08-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know the formula says 25-30lbs for a person of a "normal" BMI. I do think some people just need to gain more or less, even within that "normal" range.
I'm 5'8", and weighed 135lbs pre pregnancy. I was still hanging on to 5-10lbs from my pregnancy with dd, but I think my body needed that little extra for breastfeeding purposes. Anyway, I'm almost 21 weeks, and have gained close to 30lbs. I'm fairly active on a daily basis (walk a couple of kms with 23lbs dd on my back as a minimum), and we eat pretty well. ie: this morning we had homemade whole wheat bread with nut butter and honey for breakfast, green smoothie mid morning, lunch will be left over homemade barley soup and nectarines, and I think we'll have mushroom risotto and spinach salad for dinner. We do have some delish peanut butter fudge ice cream in the freezer, and I suspect I will have a small bowl at some point! Anyway.
I expect I will gain close to the 75lbs I gained with dd again this time. It honestly panics me to think about it, so I try not to (I also have a history of anorexia). I make big babies (dd was 9.2) and the weight came off without any particular effort within a few months pp. I'm hoping for the same this time around!
I think the key is to just not panic about it. Eat good foods, indulge in occasional treats, be active every day, and tell your midwife to back the frig off. Seriously. There are midwives who don't weigh women AT ALL. It's not that great of an indicator of, well, anything. Blood pressure, fetal/fundal growth, etc, etc, are far more important as long as you're being reasonable about intake and output. Maybe you could ask her to refer you to a nutritionist? He/She might have some helpful ideas for you, and it might also help your midwife to relax about the whole thing.

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM

My prepregnancy weight was 134 , I am 5'5.5.. At my 20 week midwife appt I had gained 2 lbs. With my other 4 kids I gained 25- 30 lbs so I figure I will start gaining faster now.

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM

i have gained 21 lbs. so far, but started out at a low bmi, low body fat. i have a post about it in 'my butt is totally freaking me out'. my midwife is not concerned at this point. i gained 55 lbs. with my first pregnancy, and likewise, my midwife was not concerned. i lost 30 lbs. in the first 2 weeks after giving birth.

make healthy food choices as much as possible and try to move your body, work up a small sweat a few times a week.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm 24 weeks ... I've gained exactly 20 pounds. My belly looks huge and is measuring 28cm so I'm wondering if I just have extra fluid in there. My diet hasn't changed that much since getting pg. I was low-normal weight pre-pg.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM

23 pounds @ 21 weeks, most of that in the second trimester. I started out about 5 pounds heavier than my usual weight of 133, I am 5'8". I was still nursing my 2 year old a lot at conception, I needed the extra pounds to get pregnant.

I wish that I did not gain so much, but I have gained 55-70 pounds each pregnancy, this is #6. ALL the weight has gone away each time with nursing and regular activity. I gain all that weight despite eating super healthy and exercising the entire pregnancy. I currently power walk two miles every day, on top of my normal active mom duties. I find that the more I exercise, the more weight I gain. BUT, thanks to the exercise and good food, the weight comes off fast and easy after birth. I am trying to cut back on my sugar intake, but all this yummy summer fruit is hard to resist!

Like a previous poster said, don't stress. Listen to your body. Eat healthy, satisfying food and be as active as you can. Drink extra water too! Your stress level is important too. As you can see from all these varied posts, each woman gains differently.
If you are worried about weird weight gain and edema, then up your protein and water, walk, soak in epsom salts and talk to your doctor or midwife.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the chiming in!

I think I will just plan to up my exercise (I honestly did nothing...like NOTHING the first 4 months of this pregnancy, so I am starting with adding 1 mile every other day on the treadmill and two yoga workouts.

I wasn't really watching my food, so I've started my food journal again and I am going to make sure I am getting my water and tea daily, which will hopefully curb my drinking of caloric beverages. It's also making me realize when I haven't eaten enough protein.

The food journal will help me slow down with the chocolate/sweets/cookies, which are my downfall too.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM

I am 6' and prepregnancy 160# which is normal BMI but about 10# more than I'd like. I am 21weeks and weigh 165#. 5 pounds total.

My eating has changed in that I eat some meat now, low fat cream cheese, eggs, cheese and frozen yogurt. I just try to have protein every time I eat. I have no increased appetite yet and can't imagine consuming enough quantity of veggie protein sources to account for the 80-100 gram increase. I do eat pretty darn well, mostly all homemade, fresh and organic. I have always been this way though. No junk food. Occasional chips or chocolate, no sodas or sugar. I think the lack of my nightly glass of wine (or close to nightly) has contributed to a huge caloric decrease.

I kinda trip sometimes when I hear other mamas worried they are gaining too much as I worry I am not gaining enough. What it all comes down to though is really how our bodies feel. I feel good and intuitively I think my weight gain is fine for now. I think we all just do pregnancy different.

Glad to hear their are others with minimal weight gain too!!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 AM

22 weeks today, started at 158 and 175lbs now, so that's 17lbs.
158 was not a pretty starting weight I was about 148 when I got pregnant with DD.

Measurements of the baby are on target. I am only 5'6" so I would like more total weight gain to be 25 lbs, 30 lbs MAX. I gained about 38 with DD.

This is pregnancy #2, I eat lighter dinners with this pregnancy, usually vegetarian. I resist the urge to snack late at night and drink more water instead as a substitute. Both of these measure are great healthy choices but the truth is my stomach/digestion system wasn't handling food at night very well, and dinner time is usually over by 7pm-so it wasn't an issue of eating late.

Also, I haven't been able to handle prenatal vitamins on a consistent basis.

I am not concerned about how MANY calories I take in daily as I am about WHAT calories I take in each day.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM

raspberry - We are very similar in our weight gains! I started this pregnancy at 148, 10 lbs heavier than my others. After a lb loss this week I am at 164 (total gain of 16 lbs). I feel both good and bad about it. Good because at almost 23 weeks I feel like 16 lbs is pretty good, but bad because I feel like it has all gone straight to my butt and thighs! I haven't been eating too badly and I have been exercising except for several weeks in the first tri when I was sick. I did a really fast walk last night for 2 miles and did my yoga video last night. I felt really great inspite of some pretty intense back pain!

With that said, I am almost 5'8" and I am usually around 138-140 but I like my body better on the skinny side 'cause I have a long, but small bone structure. I really loved weighing 133 after my 2nd child! I also would LOVE to not gain more that 30 lbs with this baby but I doubt that will happen. I would be happy with 35 at this point.

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy912 View Post
Do you have any advice on how many calories I should be eating daily? I used to be much more active, but since the pregnancy, I have not done much. I am doing gentle yoga for 40 minutes twice weekly and am trying to get in 30 minute walks most nights.

I would like to be within the healthy range for weight gain, but I just want to make sure I make "safe" adjustments to my calories, ya know?
I found this site through this forum when I was searching for what my calorie needs were. It's nice because it factors in how active you are, starting, and height.

I'm up 3 pounds since using this, but I'm only 17 weeks.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM

wolfmom- I was definitely comforted when I saw the scale read an even 175 because that was my weight at my last visit 1 month ago. I typically gain a little each month in T2. I did exercise more-lots of walking and figured that played a role. I would like to stay at 175 for the remainder of T2. But that's still 6 weeks away right? T3 begins at Week 28, I think.

I gain it fast and furious in the later part of T3, no fun...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM

I am 20 weeks and up 2lbs total. I am going for a VBAC, and my doc has stressed the importance of not gaining too much weight. With my first, I gained 55+ lbs...YIKES! I lost it all fairly quickly and was about 10lbs under my #1 pre-pregnancy weight when I got pregnant this time. I have been really watching it! Not restricting, of course, but making a much bigger effort to control my diet this time. My OB said if I were to gain 25lbs, he'd like to see 1lb per month for the first 20 weeks and 1lb per week for the second 20 weeks, no more than that. I hope I can keep this up!

Oh, also, I was/am about 20lbs overweight anyway, so it's not like I don't have a little extra for the both of us to live on.

K + J = DS Evan 1/26/09 and happily welcoming DS Colin, our 9lb 5oz vbac.gif New Year's Day baby, 1/1/11!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

I'd have to go back and look at what I gained with DD but so far this pregnancy, I've gained approx 7 lbs (depends on what I ate the day before). I'm 19.5 weeks. Though I'm overweight I know I can gain up to 25 lbs but I'm not undereating at all (the opposite sometimes!) but I am very conscious of my weight gain and know that it will be going up the more the baby grows.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
I found this site through this forum when I was searching for what my calorie needs were. It's nice because it factors in how active you are, starting, and height.

I'm up 3 pounds since using this, but I'm only 17 weeks.
Thanks for the link! I think that will really help me out a lot!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 AM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 AM

I've gained either 9 or 14lbs (somehow between switching of practices my beginning weight got lost). I'm really thinking I'm at 14lbs at 21wks. EEEK! That being said, I was eating really well and doing P90X until 17wks when I totally got lazy and fell off the wagon (was also having some worrisome contrax which made me too nervous to work out any longer) and then promptly put on 7-10lbs in those FOUR weeks. Not feeling great about that. I'd really love for this heat to be gone so I can be out riding bikes with my kids and not feel like I'm going to pass out.

And I gained 30lbs with #1 and about 12lbs with #2 (much more MS).

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coraljean View Post
I actually have no idea how much I weigh right now. I haven't weighed myself at all this pregnancy. My midwife doesn't bring a scale with her and just has you tell her your weight around the beginning, middle and end of pregnancy. I'm surprised your midwife is making such a big deal about it. I gained about 40 pounds with my first one, and lost all of it and more carrying my baby around town, breastfeeding, and now trying to keep up with him! I would have times during my last pregnancy where I seemed to gain a lot all at once like a growth spurt, so maybe you just had one of those. I've known plenty of people who have gained what you have at the point you are at. My midwife does recommend not eating too much sugar and carbs (which turn into sugar in your body). The general guidelines say you need an extra 200 calories a day while pregnant. More exercise is a good idea, just don't overdo it and try not to stress out about it!
yeah I was a little disheartened, to be honest. Just because I have had so many people say that, regardless of how healthy they were and their level of exercise, they still gained tons...and they have just said to not get too bothered by it.

part of me knows that I was making some unhealthy food choices and that some of the weight gain is attributable to that...so that's what I am trying to work on- just making the food choices more healthy and getting in some light exercise daily.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM

MW said I measured a little big this appt. I'm 24 weeks and I've gained 19 lbs. I started at 124 (a good weight for me) and am now 143. She wasn't concerned at all about the amount of weight, and she didn't suggest twins either.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!

User Tag List