Colostrum! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some already! Am I alone? My colostrum came in at 25 weeks with my first and it really freaked me out that early. I guess it was about 30 weeks with my second which was weird because I was still nursing #1 so I though it would come in sooner. I'm 21 weeks now.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#2 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM

I've got mine Makes me happy. I tried to offer it to DS, but he has given up on me ever since my milk dried up Plus it went salty before drying and he doesn't want to try it again. Oh well, I'm still happy to see the colostrum in for the new wee baby. Makes me feel more...maternal or something to know I'm producing it.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#3 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

My DS didn't like my pregnancy milk either and weaned early on this pregnancy. I was really enjoying not having anything coming out of my breasts because I've been nursing non-stop for 4.5 years! Oh well, at least it's not leaking and itching yet.

#4 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I started producing it at 19 weeks! Crazy! It's still clear at 22 weeks, though...still thinking about it apparently! lol

My mom (who is an IBCLC) says that production of colustrom doesn't actually predict how much milk you will make, but I'm still thrilled. We are still concerned about some mild hypoplasia, but since my breasts have grown a cup size and both are doing the colostrum thing, I'm feeling much more positive about it.

Breastfeeding is one the things that I am really, really, really excited about!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#5 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM

wholewheatchick- Can you tell me more about the mild hypoplasia. With DD the IBCLC I saw said I may have mild hypoplasia and that is maybe one of the reasons i had very low supply. 8 months pp I found out I have hasimotos thyroiditis and that could have been a reason for very low supply. Really I dont know which one it was and this baby will only tell me more about what I went through. If it was the thyroid then great, and if it is hypoplasia then I guess I may have very low milk supply again, which I am hoping and praying I don't. What have you been told about hypoplasia?

My breasts have changed this pregnancy unlike the last and I am hoping for colostrum.

thanks

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#6 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not leaking and can't get any out myself but DH said I started getting some around... 18 weeks?

Strangely I haven't had much breast growth since I was 9 weeks. I went up a cup and band size immediately and then have only swelled slightly.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#7 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 PM

16 weeks for me! I was surprised it could come so early.
#8 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
I'm not leaking and can't get any out myself but DH said I started getting some around... 18 weeks?

Strangely I haven't had much breast growth since I was 9 weeks. I went up a cup and band size immediately and then have only swelled slightly.
With DD, my breasts didn't change at all, size-wise, until my milk came in after DD was born, and I had plenty of milk. No size changes during pregnancy at all!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#9 of 20 Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I noticed alittle bit a couple weeks ago.

My breast size has stayed the same for most of my pg. I got really huge with my first but ever since then they've stayed the same. Most likely since I haven't had much time down from nursing and/or pg, they've never had a chance to get smaller.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#10 of 20 Old 08-14-2010, 03:53 AM

No colustrum yet... and my breasts went up a cup size between pregnancy and my milk coming in and have pretty much stayed there. No changes with this pregnancy. I remember worrying that I would not have enough milk as other women went up 2-3 more more cup sizes. However, DS had plenty and was the chubbiest, well fed baby ever.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#11 of 20 Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 AM

How interesting! How do you know if it has come in?

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#12 of 20 Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM

None here, yet! I've been on the look out, since I have started to feel the hormones rush when hearing another baby cry.

I did finally have an awesome bf dream though, lol.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#13 of 20 Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Wanted to add....no colostrom here, either, and since I pump everyday it seems like I'd notice. The nipple sensitivity is out of control, though- DD's initial latch is killing me!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#14 of 20 Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy912 View Post
How interesting! How do you know if it has come in?
With my first, I was in a store with my husband and my nipples started itching like crazy. I was trying to hide in corners to scratch, I had to leave the store, it was driving me nuts! Well, when we got outside I looked in my bra and there was gold liquid and some gold crusty stuff on my breasts and my bra. I called my midwife, because I was freaked out. She said not to worry, but she felt that it was really early. It continued the rest of the pregnancy to various degrees, there were times I had to wear nursing bras because it was ruining my bras, I was having to wash them all the time. I think that's unusual.

With my second, nursing started to feel different/better because there was finally something there, even though it wasn't very much.

This time, my husband found it.

#15 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 AM

I have some too -- I'm 23w.

My breasts seemed to grow as soon as I hit my second tri. I've gone up a band size and at least one cup size. And they feel so dense! I haven't nursed in two years. I'm not looking forward to sore nipples, but I am looking forward to that wonderful nursing relationship.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#16 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My breasts started growing right away. Seriously. they must have seen the positive test. I started at an A, was a B by 8 weeks and was a C whenever it was I finally bought new bras, maybe around 12-15 weeks? I squeezed my nipples experimentally sometime around 15-18 weeks and saw a tiny bit of liquid. Then for weeks I checked every so often and got nothing. Now I have some again, but only if I check it. I'm not leaking on my own yet. This is my first and I'm 24.5 weeks now. I am really excited about breastfeeding! I hope that I don't have a lot of difficulty with it. I have a couple breastfeeding books I am planning to read in the last tri.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#17 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
wholewheatchick- Can you tell me more about the mild hypoplasia. With DD the IBCLC I saw said I may have mild hypoplasia and that is maybe one of the reasons i had very low supply. 8 months pp I found out I have hasimotos thyroiditis and that could have been a reason for very low supply. Really I dont know which one it was and this baby will only tell me more about what I went through. If it was the thyroid then great, and if it is hypoplasia then I guess I may have very low milk supply again, which I am hoping and praying I don't. What have you been told about hypoplasia?

My breasts have changed this pregnancy unlike the last and I am hoping for colostrum.

thanks
Hypoplasia is basically when you don't have enough milk making tissue. Generally, women with hypoplasia have very assymetrical breasts, very droopy breasts (I mean, like tubes, with hte nipple pointed at the ground), and very widely spaced breasts (more than a handwith apart, measured at your bra band line). But, all of those "signs' can exist, and the woman makes enough milk to feed triplets. None of those can exist, and she still has insufficient glandular tissue (IUGT, I think it's called.) There are four different degrees of hypoplasia, I think based on those physical signs, but it cannot be diagnosed until you actually try breastfeeding.

There are lots of things you can do to stimulate production, though. Like renting a hospital grade pump for the first few months, uses a supplemental nutrition sysem if needed (SNS), and taking certain herbs. Goat's rue is a less common one, but actually increases the amount of breast tissue so that your body is even capable of making more milk. However, the fact that your breasts have grown is a tremendously good sign already!

My breasts are somewhat asymetrical, like my feet, lol, they're about a 1/2 cup size different. But, both have grown, both are heavy and denser, and both are producing some colosutrom. So I am feeling much more optimisitc. bit still plan on helping myself out but having an unmedicated birth with the baby put right on my belly ASAP. The first 2 - 3 weeks are absolutely crucial for establishing a milk supply for anybody, so I already told DH that that is going to be my only job for the first bit there. Feeding Squirt and sleeping! Also, my mom is coming down for that fist week to be my personal IBCLC.

One of my moms IBCLC friends has a daughter with severe hypoplasia, but after a month or so, was 100% breastfeeding her baby. So it is possible, you just have to get help immediately, and sometimes some pretty significant help. There are also pharmaceutical drugs like Reglan that have a side effect of increased milk production, but the side effect of that is PPD. Of course, not producing enough milk for your baby can be pretty depressing, too.

I am going to start saving my colustrom starting at 36 weeks, and putting it in little 5 mL vials and storing it in the freezer, just in case we have any issues.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#18 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 AM

I think I am starting to produce some at almost 21 weeks. DS seems to like my boobs regardless of whether anything is coming out. He did not nurse for 2 days (mainly because I kept him busy) but he wanted to nurse this morning so I let him for a bit. There is a quote in Adventure of Tandem Nursing where the mom says she thought her daughter would nurse if motor oil was coming out of her breast and I really feel that!

Having him open his mouth WIDE has been the key to not going insane when he does it.

I have decided that I want to encourage him to wean. He will be over 3 when the new one comes. I feel like my body is screaming NO to all this and I think it is wise to honor that I see a lot of distraction in our future, but I do have to figure out something to replace the nursing time (and he has only be open to "cuddling" once).

Wholewheatchick, are you going to start pumping at 36 weeks? Just curious...

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#19 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post

Wholewheatchick, are you going to start pumping at 36 weeks? Just curious...
No, not pumping, but maybe hand expressing a bit, as long as it doesn't cause contractions...though I may do it for that purpose starting around 39 weeks! lol

#20 of 20 Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM

Wholewheatchick- Thanks for the reply. I went through a lot to breastfeed dd, SNS, domperidone, etc. My IBCLC thought I had a case of mild hypoplasia but was unaware of my thyroid. So at this point we are just thinking positive milk vibes from the breastfeeding fairy, and collecting as much information and help that I can. My MW's know my past challenges, so they will be helpful and I will be seeing my IBCLC, and I am gathering information from moms with IGT. There needs to be more talk of hypoplasia and breastfeeding! Thank you!

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page