I'm going bald!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm literally going bald. This happened (to a lesser extent) after DD was born, but at 22 weeks I have about half the hair I started with. Even my eyelashes are getting sparse. DH put his arm around me at dinner the other night and then bit into a long red haired sandwich. Gross! I try to dress professionally at work (I'm a nurse), but no matter how many times I pick hairs off my clothing I still look like I just hugged Big Foot.

Anything I can do, or just watch as the shower clogs and make wigs for DD's dolls? eek!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Are you sure you don't have any nutrient deficencies?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 08-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Yes- I'd probably have this checked out.

Hair loss is pretty common post-partum when hormone levels return to normal, but I've not heard of it being associated with pregnancy itself. I guess I'm just lucky, but my hair always grows like a weed when I'm pregnant, and then I lose a bunch later on.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 PM

are you getting enough EFA's - essential fatty acids...that would be something I'd check into. Some hair loss is considered normal...but that sounds a bit much. In general, and not just during pregnancy, excessive hair loss can mean that you aren't getting enough of your EFA's or even calcium, protein or iron.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Old 08-16-2010, 12:49 PM

I have been having a lot more hair loss than usual, although I have so much hair to start with that I am definitely not in any danger of going bald.

The eyelash thing is weird, though. Do you have an HCP you could ask about this?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM

I would have your thyroid (TSH levels) checked too. Hair loss is common with hypothyroidism and pregnancy and postpartum are common times to have a change in function.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 PM

DDDC to say that I can sympathise with you. I started losing my hair with my first pregnancy in 2003. By the time my daughter was a few months old I had complete loss, including my eyelashes and brows. I am now on my third pregnanacy and still bald. I was diagnosed with alopecia. If you are losing in spots you may have that too?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

User Tag List