Best baby products for new mom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have my registry complete but am constantly playing with it as I learn more and more and read others' recommendations of things. Because this is my first baby I'm registering for a lot but I really do think it necessary (and the things that aren't absolute necessities I feel are just really useful to have). But, I've learned a lot from all of you on here so I thought I should ask before my shower in 2 months- what baby products (brand names included if possible) have you found to be the best?

The reason I am asking for a lot is because my husband and I just moved to the area, have nearly NOTHING for a baby and I won't be working...so things are a bit tight this year. I am cloth diapering so a lot of my registry is devoted to all of the stuff I will need for that, along with pricier items like an organic crib mattress, an Ergo, a high chair, etc. I've been looking for things off of craigslist that I feel I can get for cheaper (I bought a never used maclaren easy traveller for half price, a bumbo seat for $5 and am holding out for a breast pump that I will sterilize). But, knowing how showers go, I can predict that I will get a ton of clothes and items that friends and family like, and then a bulk of my registry will basically be left for us to fulfill. So, if this ends up being the case, I want to know what I should really focus on. Thanks!
-Oh, and my baby is due Dec. 28th so he's a winter baby!
#2 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 06:55 PM

I look forward to reading your replies!

Im a first time mama as well. DP and I are starting our registry this coming weekend...and Im eager to hear suggestions. We'll be cloth diapering as well, and while I have a decent stash started up...I'm worried I wont see much that I can register for at Babies R Us.

We've decided against registering at Target as well...so I dont know how to go about registering for cloth?

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

#3 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am registering at Amazon...they have EVERYTHING. But I am finding that I'm buying mostly the Flip diapers from Cotton Babies anyway b/c they don't sell them directly on Amazon (they do sell GroVia though, which are the other diapers I'm buying)..and I'm just going to put a ton of the inserts on my registry. The great thing about Amazon is that they have this universal button where you can add anything from anywhere to your registry. It does make things a bit more complicated though for people that aren't computer-savvy, as my mom keeps reminding me (who is pushing me to register at Babies R Us and I refuse).
#4 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM

hmmm...
when i think back when my 2 year old was born, here is what comes to mind as to what i used/needed/came in most handy (and all moms and babies are different, so take it with a grain of salt, i guess):

-the boppy pillow for breastfeeding, later on for baby to lie on. and extra covers are very handy.

-a swing-when my babe was just cranky for no reason it usually soothed her.

-a baby chair, i think mine was a papison (sp?) type. it is just a safe place to set baby down. although a swing can also serve this purpose.

-arm's reach co-sleeper. babe is right next to you in bed.

-a changing table next to your bed. you will do a lot of changing in the night for several months.

-homemade wipes. i found even the 7th generation wipes gave my babe diaper rash at some point from too much wiping. i mixed my own solution that worked better.

-breast pads!! you will find yourself leaking through your shirt at the worst times! i found that it subsided after several months though.

-breast pump and accessories. eventually, someone else may need to feed your babe for whatever reason, so you need some milk for that. i froze a lot of mine. i have the medela swing pump. i only pumped once in the morning.

-a friend of mine made me a 'hooter hider'. (nice name, ) but it really did come in handy.

something that i found pretty quickly was that newborns, until they sleep through the night w/out pooping (4-5 months?) or until there poo becomes more solid, will have blow outs of poo up the back.
i remember lots of clothes/pajama changes due to this, washing pillow, swing, car seat and chair covers and bed sheets due to this.

that's all i can think of for now.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#5 of 17 Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anything by Earth Mama Angel Baby. Make sure you get some of their stuff for you as well-- I don't want to give TMI, but their Mama Bottom Butter was really indispensible after childbirth.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 12:41 AM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#7 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 AM

I registered for the standard stuff for my first baby and then sent my husband out to the store a million times after she was born and ended up using only half of what I had registered for! Here's my list:

-Car seat + stroller
-Arm's Reach Co-sleeper
-Aden + Anais swaddle blankets (cheaper at Target but less selection, these blankets are good for EVERYTHING!), burpie bib and sleeping bag (I used a sleeping bag from 3 months+) Can you tell I love muslin?! It washes well, wears well, soft and dries quickly
-Hugamonkey sling for your newborn
-SwaddleMe Infant Wrap for newborn (at BabiesRUs)
-Swing or Bouncer (my babies only liked one or the other!)
-Playpen or crib (safe place to put your baby down, especially when they're mobile)
-High chair
-Good thermometer/first aid kit

It's late so I can't think of anything else right now.... Hope this helps!

Wife to Krisztian and Mother to three little ones Rose (2006) Alina (2007) and Ben (2009). Expecting another miracle Dec 2010
#8 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 AM

This is #5 for me, so I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of what I need for me/baby. Luckily most of this stuff has been donated/loaned by generous friends, but I have a little list on Amazon since I'm having a shower/blessing.

HOMEBIRTH
Shower liners
reusable/washable chux pads
python and connector

DIAPERING
green mountain diaper prefolds
snappis
covers/wool
Ewe Need It wool wash
Lansinoh
Baby Bjorn Little Potty (I'm doing EC)

BREASTFEEDING
ameda or medela breast SHELLS (for soreness. I love them!)
My breast friend
utterly yours breast pillow
Elle Macpherson nursing bras (I am big-busted)
nursing necklace

BABY
Bassinet/arm's reach cosleeper/pack'n'play
Long-sleeved tshirts
amber teething necklace
miracle swaddling blanket
wooden teethers

CARRIERS
Ergo with insert
Half-buckle tai
SBP ring sling
Moby wrap

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#9 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM

I've had 2 baby showers and the thing I noticed is most people DON'T buy the exepensive things, which is understandable in this economy. Unless of course you have some friends with money, we don't.

I found that most important to me was:
Boppy
swing
diapers
clothes
kit with thermometer, nose sucker, nail clippers

This will be my first time wearing a newborn.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#10 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Get a Nose Freida (aka the nose sucker). So much better than a bulb syringe and easier to clean. DH thinks it is disgusting, but I LOVE it

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#11 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM

You can register for cloth diaper stuff on Kelly's Closet and Green Mountain Diaper. DH and I are going to buy the cloth diapers themselves from GMD (we are mostly doing prefolds) but I registered for the other stuff like covers, wet bags, pines and snappies, etc., on Kelly's Closet.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#12 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 PM

clothing/blankets:
*swaddle blankets (we liked the kiddopotamous ones). I never did get good at wrapping with the receiving blankets
*kimono tees with the hand wrap thingys
*sleepers or gowns

for nursing:
*lanolin
*pump, if you plan to pump
*my breast friend pillow
*refrigerated cold pack for sore boobs

tons of prefold diapers/receiving cloths for spit up

carrier:
I liked a pouch in the beginning (peanut shell) and then moved on to an ergo around 5 months.

bouncer (worked perfectly so I could bath/shower in the beginning)

the inexpensive washcloths (gerber makes a great one) work fantastically for cloth diaper wipes

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#13 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 AM

Well I am having 3 baby showers, first baby. I moved to Oregon 2.5 years ago so most of my family and close friends are in Cali. I will have a family/friend Baby Shower end of October in Cali followed by a Blessingway/Baby Shower the following day with closer friends. A work baby shower up here in NOvember. I have had to do much thinking in regards to the registry thing. I started at Amazon b/c they have everything and lots of CDing stuff. I am doing prefolds with Thirsty/Bummis covers.

My mom also did the whole pressure thing for me to register ast some corporate store. I vehemently resisted. Then a close friend had a baby shower for her sister who only registered on line at some eco groovy site....she ended up with a zillion onseies!! My friend said 3 people ordered stuff off her registry. Maybe not wanting to pay shipping? Too last minute? So this made me literally run to Target and set one up. Figure everyone goes there at some point and I can return stuff for credit really easily.

Something to think about. I loaded up the BPA free bottles, nipples, organic clothes, alarm walkie talkies, books, CDs for baby from Target. (I will be returning to work at 3 months and have to pump). They had first aid kits, some okay stuff. Just something to think about.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#14 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 AM

I had a registry with dd and the majority of people just bought clothes anyway, and nothing off my registry, except my close family.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#15 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

That is something I've thought about when it comes to not registering at a big corporate place...but I've been trying to train my somewhat difficult mom into advertising where I'm registering instead of telling people to get me what SHE thinks I want (sigh...she did this with my wedding registry too...drove me crazy). So far I've been very firm and I think it's been working out. She's tried to make the case that most friends of hers don't know how to use the internet (maybe 1 or 2, but definitely not "most"), and then she says that people like to "see and touch the things they're buying" (whatever).

But yeah, it might be possible that I get a lot of clothes and very little off the reg...and if that's what happens then so be it, I haven't really bought any clothes and definitely don't have any, so I would be very appreciative either way...but that's why I'm asking, if it comes down to me needing to buy a lot of stuff for my baby myself, which things I should really focus on since I won't be able to buy it all.

BTW- my best friend who is due a month before me registered at Babies R Us and Target and barely got anything off her registry at her shower. So I don't think it matters where you register, I get the impression that people buy what they like and what's easiest for them regardless of how convenient and corporate the stores are.
#16 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM

I think it depends on what you put on the registry. I think having a few high ticket items mixed with a few lower priced items helps. I think also people are of the mindset you can not have enough clothes. My last registry, I knew my sister was giving me EVERYTHING she had clothes wise for 2 boys. So, I put that in the notes, "Aunty Brooke is giving me clothes for 0-6 months (and she has 2 boys worth going to us - for 2 seasons!). Thanks Aunty Brooke! If you would like to get Aiden some clothes, please buy in upper sizes." I think that helped because I did not get a lot of smaller clothes. And, of course, I actually registered for some I would not mind

A lot of people DO like to go into the store to buy baby stuff (probably because they don't really have a reason to go in normally and it is fun to look at all the cute stuff they didn't have when they were having kids). So, I definitely think registering at nationwide stores is going to be helpful (and they sometimes give you a coupon to finish out your registry as well).

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#17 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM

car seat
sling
cloth diapers
wipes
clothes
diaper bag
wet bag
maybe a stroller
I like the little bouncy chairs, to have some place to set the baby while I shower etc

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page