Anyone else Anemic?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found out today I am super low on iron, I had a feeling and had started taking it the last few days cause I felt completely exhausted!! What are others eating/ taking to help with low iron? And how long will it take to boost my system back up??

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I might be, My midwife sent me for blood work I 'll find out on the 9th of sept.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM

I regularly seem to get low iron through my life. So when I started feeling really tired again, and the inside lower rim of my eyelids were looking pale I started taking some natural iron supplements. Floradix is usually great and gets me feeling vibrant. But it did not work this time, so I got some pharmacy iron pills, and after taking them for a few days I felt human again. Now I just take 1/2 every day or other day, depending on how I am feeling and I feel much better. Take in the middle of a meal to protect your stomach, vitamin C helps with absorption and I think taking them at night (with dinner) is more effective. After a week check your eyes again, the inner lower lid should look nice and red and flushed. And you should feel better! Good Luck!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM

I seem to deal with low iron off and on through out my life. I take a ferrofood supplement (food based iron source) and make sure to take it with vitamin C for maximum absorption. I feel sooo sooo sooo much better and have more energy since starting supplements a month ago.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Old 08-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
Found out today I am super low on iron, I had a feeling and had started taking it the last few days cause I felt completely exhausted!! What are others eating/ taking to help with low iron? And how long will it take to boost my system back up??
Are you a vegetarian? I was a veg for my pregnancy with my first and I was really dangerously low despite supplementation. With this pregnancy I am not supplementing (besides my prenatal) and my iron is perfect. I have been eating eggs, turkey, chicken, and occasional red meat though and I honestly think it helps to maintain a healthy iron level. I understand why one would not want to eat meat though (I still struggle with the fact that I do again) so if you are a vegetarian then I would recommend the following supplements: Floradix liquid iron, Chlorophyll in liquid or pill form, homeopathic cell salts (helps your body to better utilize irons you are getting from foods). I would also start eating tons of tahini, beans, spinach blackstrap molasses.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM

I was with the first - and I took the prescription pills my doctor gave me. I can't remember how long it took, maybe a week

This time I felt it happening and recognized it, so I am trying blood builder from Mega Foods and see if that helps. I had a huge aversion to red meat this pregnancy, so I am not sure I can eat enough meat. I do eat cream of wheat, even though the iron is added later, it is still a lot. I eat raisins, pumpkin seeds have a good amount of iron, I can't think of anything else offhand, but I do read labels a lot.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 PM

I've always struggled with anemia during pregnancy even with taking supplements. I'm surprised my doctor hasn't tested me yet but I feel much more energetic this time. I don't believe I am anemic at all. I switched to Nature's Plus Ultra prenatal because it has a lot of iron in it and I take Flordix. If I forget to take anything and start feeling extremely tired it only takes a couple days to get my energy back w/ supplement. I have been eating red meat once a week plus I always cook in cast iron.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM

I am not anemic but I am veggie so I worry about it. I don't want to spend the money on Floradex, so expensive. So I made an iron rich elixir. I boiled yellow dock roots with dandelion roots and then simmered for 45 minutes. Strained and added a bunch of black strap molasses to it. I take a few tablespoons a day and wash it down with a large glass of water mixed with emergen-c, 2 packs, for 2000mg vitamin C. Remember Vit.C helps iron absorb better and plant based iron is way easier for body to assimilate. I also snack on turkish dried unsulphured apricots.

Hope this helps.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I was anemic during all 4 of my pregnancies- I was able to get my iron up through floradix- It depends on how low your iron is as to how long it will take to get it back up.  I took it 3 times a day and it was great.  Best of luck.

User Tag List