~Sept Chat Thread~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well it's a day early, but I miss having a chat thread and we were so bad at keeping a weekly one going, I thought maybe a monthly one would work better.

How is everyone doing? What's going on in your lives?

Well I'm 24 weeks now, I'm feeling good and the kids have felt the baby move even with the anterior placenta so that is exciting! My house is a huge mess and I have no motivation to clean it. Our basement flooded and it was a huge mess and I had to wash all of our stored clothes (about 30 loads) and they are still sitting around in my kids' room waiting to be resorted and put away. We went away for a week vacation and now we've been back for a week and I haven't really done anything other than dishes and sweeping in that time. I hate having a messy house, but I just don't. want. to. clean!

My 4 yo DD cracked me up the other night (and a few times since because of the reaction she got). She had apparently over heard a conversation between DH and I the previous night. At bed time she said, "mom, if you do bedtime tonight, dad will give you a back rub! With no strings attached!" I was rolling, she had no idea what she was talking about but she figured it must be good so now it's her favorite phrase.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#2 of 77 Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Lol, one day she'll be older and will put 2 and 2 together and be like....oh! Hehe.

Thanks for making a chat thread. I've been missing these.

I feel like death today. The kids have all been fighting infections - runny noses etc. My very hyperactive daughter got a bit overenthusiastic last night when playing a hugging game with me and ended up punching me really hard in the throat. It was agony. And it's just getting worse. Hurt all night. Feels like tonsilitus/strep throat, but isn't swollen. I can hardly talk, sore to swallow etc. It hurts right up to my right ear for some reason. I have no idea what she's damaged in there, there's nothing visual. But it sure hurts. And I'm grumpy today as a result. Plus DH unloaded the dishwasher super noisily this morning which woke up all the kids. So I had little sleep and throat hurt all night anyway, and I'm just so grumpy. Gotta get through the day....

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#3 of 77 Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
My 4 yo DD cracked me up the other night (and a few times since because of the reaction she got). She had apparently over heard a conversation between DH and I the previous night. At bed time she said, "mom, if you do bedtime tonight, dad will give you a back rub! With no strings attached!"
Hilarious!!!! Hope you enjoyed your no-strings backrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post
I feel like death today. {snip} Gotta get through the day....
That sounds rough, I hope you'll sleep much better tonight and have a laid-back day.

I hate to complain, but BLAH! My stomach hurts! I tried to Google what I've been feeling and I keep getting results about uterine cramps in pregnancy, which is not what I'm having at all. DH pointed out that my symptoms sound exactly like gastritis and if it's that, I am just going to hire a pseudo mom and spend the next few months in bed. I'm trying to push through by doing as little housework as I can get away with doing because the only time I experience any relief is when I'm laying down, and it hurts a thousand times worse if I start bending over for dishes, laundry, etc. During homeschooling I sit at the head of the table with one kid on each side and knit while they work. Normally I clean the kitchen during school but at least I'm doing something constructive (and fun).

Last night I had a very vivid dream that made me happy. I have been having nasty nightmares so this dream was a particularly nice break. In it I was at my midwife's home office and she said she wanted to do another ultrasound to make sure the placenta was still healthy and look for possible signs of premature labor. DH and I could see the baby and the midwife announced, "Look, it's a girl!" I was so excited (but also a little bummed because I've waited so long without finding out and then she went and told me. At one point I really wanted a boy but now that we have two names picked out and I am looking forward to the surprise, I really don't care either way. I just wish I knew what to knit.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 77 Old 08-31-2010, 09:57 PM

I should start by saying that every time I read a post about being pregnant while taking care of small children I am in awe of you ladies. I know that someday it will be my turn, but for now I am relishing the selfish and thoroughly pleasant luxury of only taking care of myself (and my dog and husband).

On a positive note:
*I am not retaining water.
*I feel pretty good the majority of the time.
*I have a supportive family and husband.
*I feel lucky not to have a regular full time job.
*It's almost fall.

Less than stellar things in my life include:
*No close friends who have children, are pregnant, almost no one who is married or in a serious relationship, and absolutely no one close who is a SAHM.
*I am feeling a bit isolated and lonely but hopefully that will dissipate in September when I start my pregnancy class/group and prenatal yoga.

The hideous realities of being pregnant include:
*Atomic gas (I normally have a happy digestive system and a minimum amount of flatulence so this is NOT cool).
*Terrible hives that break out only when I am out walking (which is also my preferred method of exercise so that sucks). Doesn't happen all the time but when it does good lord it feels like fire ants crawling underneath my skin.
*Suffering from low blood pressure (lower than usual even for pregnancy) which results in bouts of extreme dizziness.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM

gucci and granola-you are a lucky gal to have some time to care for yourself and rest. i am working on my 2nd babe and WOW is it hard to keep up with a 2 year old...i'm dragging serious ass! anyhow, enjoy your time and rest up.

i am 26 weeks and still very tired. needing naps almost every day while dd sleeps. feeling LARGE and SLOW! and oh boy, i'll only get larger and slower! its hard to exercise when i have so little time to myself and am so exhausted on top of it. oh well. i'll take a nap instead!

other things...
-getting out of breath at times while doing house chores
-having a hard time falling asleep at night
-had my hip joint go wonky on me after sitting on my knees for awhile
(took a half hour to get up and get it right again, it HURT!)
-crossing/squeezing my legs REAL tight when i sneeze, darn fall allergies!
-no swelling or stretchmarks...yet. crossing fingers
-craving pumpkin pie
-ordered new bras...AGAIN! have had several people tell me: 'you're boobs
are huge!' really? i hadn't noticed. thanks for sharing your observations.
-feeling babe move all the time and relishing the feeling

overall doing ok, and SO looking forward to my early xmas present!

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#6 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 AM

The heat is breaking

I actually have had the doors open the last couple of days and DS is playing outside for the first time in weeks

FSG - I hope you are feeling better, and that you got a good nights sleep.

G&G - it takes time to build up your parenting community. I found it helpful going to LLL and the local park. Slowly I have found more friends with children and with similar parenting philosophies. (I don't make friends easily, so this has been a real biggy for me)

We have a wedding tomorrow night and I am still trying to decide exactly what to wear DH's cousin and it is gonna be a big big thang Luckily here kids are expected to be at weddings and while everyone gets dressed up - it is much more informal than what I think happens in the US. Lots and lots of people eating and dancing

Otherwise, DS is serisouly trying my patience at the moment - and I am dlving ever deeper into Gentle Discipline as I try to find a way forward for us that leaves a relatively sane mother and a mostly happy child who is learning how to be his own self within the limits of being part of a family.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#7 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 AM

Nice to hear what you ladies are all up to! Hugs to Fat Scottish Gal and laughs to Sarah, & hope that summersmama and nova are feeling better soon! Guchi, you sound like a positive and fun person, I am sure you will make good friends as soon as you get a bit more exposure to people in your area.

Today I had a good time watching as the 10 battery farm chickens we bought ("saved") yesterday started checking out the real world and walking around. They are a bunch of scraggly, half bald misfits with long crooked nails. It will be nice to watch them turn into real free ranging chickens! Craving milk and icecream like crazy, guess I need the calcium, so I found myself some milking sheep and will be able to pick them up in a week or two. Then I will buy an icecream maker and make loads of healthy, raw, sugar free icecream! Can't wait. I used to have goats and all that stuff, but couldn't take any of it with me when we moved, so it is nice to get set up with the "essentials" again.

The only cloud in my sky is my darn family who have the power to really upset me, so trying to weaken some of the power of that. My bday is coming up on the weekend, yikes, another one! Summer is coming, the weather is warming up, & I have ordered lots of unusual heirloom seeds to start planting so the garden will be full of tasty treats when LO arrives!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#8 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Less than stellar things in my life include:
*No close friends who have children, are pregnant, almost no one who is married or in a serious relationship, and absolutely no one close who is a SAHM.
*I am feeling a bit isolated and lonely but hopefully that will dissipate in September when I start my pregnancy class/group and prenatal yoga.
You might also want to check MDC's "Finding Your Tribe" board for your state - there may be info about AP groups that meet locally. None of my friends had children when my daughter was born and I found the local AP parenting group to be a great resource - almost five years later, I am still close with many of the moms I met through that group!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#9 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm all over the place but I never settle down long enough for these anymore...

The Good
-Our baby shower went well
-We have our diapers in shipping
-DH comes home from training today
-I'm not having swelling, constipation, or heartburn

The Okay
-My cat is overly cuddly since I've been home
-It doesn't look like we'll be able to put any money in savings this year
-Baby James almost never stops moving, cute but I need a break sometimes
-We spent the $300 in baby shower money plus another $300 and still don't have everything we need

The Ugly
-My chiropractic adjustment is out already and my back/hips hurt
-A warning light has come on in our car (tires I think)
-I've been having cramps that I think are uncomfortable Braxton Hicks

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#10 of 77 Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

Hi ladies! Glad someone started up one of these...I love the chatty threads. Soooo...my life has been a little crazy busy! I went to orientation for school last week...it's official! I'm on my way to becoming a midwife!! I am just so incredibly stoked! And to be with a lot of like-minded women was really a true joy. It makes me feel like I'm NOT crazy. Still working full-time. Still trying to be a good momma and wife in spite of having no energy. Same old same old, but never a dull moment. *sigh* And I need glasses again. I'll be getting them next paycheck. Along with a crapload of school books.

So it seems that we've settled on Connor for a little man's name...still waffling on the middle name. We'll figure it out sooner or later. He's kicking up a storm, by the way! Now Daddy and brothers can feel it from the outside nice and hard, and they really get a kick out of it, no pun intended. Ha.

Found some old-style gdiapers for sale on diaperswappers, which I really needed. Score!

Still haven't done any knitting or crocheting...I need to get on the ball!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#11 of 77 Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Happy to have another "Chat Thread". Everyone has been really busy over the past several weeks since the last couple we actually had.

I'm 25+2 weeks and little miss Emma keeps moving around like crazy...until DH touches my stomach...then she refuses to move...or will only kick where his hand ISN'T!!!!

I still am not over the being tired all of the time stage and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I don't even wanna get out of bed in the mornings to go to work and i've really prayed that our contract at works runs out so I can stop working for a little bit. (i know that's horrible...but I would rather be at home with my DD and this little one once she gets here too!!!)

Heart burn is keeping me up at night and it can be something as simple as a glass of water that does it to me....plus I can't find a comfortable position to sleep in at night even with all of our pillows put around me and between my knees.

On a good note though I've still only gained 4 lbs total in this pregnancy and i've only got 15 weeks left...so as long as I only gain up to a pound a week from now on i will be right under my 20lb limit that my doctor told me we needed to stay around when we started TTC. I'm so ready for december to be here...but then my other DD will be 7 and I don't want to rush her growing up too fast!!!!

Does anyone else hurt in places that you NEVER thought was possible, especially after a long day of being up and moving around? I know i sound crazy and DH thinks i am lol but it hurts so bad i can barely stand some days!!! SO MUCH FUN!!! NOT!!!!!!

I hope everyone has a great week!!! And will anyone else be doing a Glucola test this month? Mine is scheduled for the 21st...blah!!!! But then i get to start going every 2weeks to see my doctor yay!!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#12 of 77 Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichole1214 View Post
And will anyone else be doing a Glucola test this month? Mine is scheduled for the 21st...blah!!!! But then i get to start going every 2weeks to see my doctor yay!!!!
Mine is scheduled for the 15th.

On a better note, My diapers are here! I'm seriously nesting over here and its nice to have a to-do list to work on when it flares up than to pace back and forth nervously hoping I'll get everything done on time. (I have 3 months, what am I so worried about!?)

#13 of 77 Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm supposed to do the glucose challenge test this month too. I declined it last time - no risk factors at all and my midwife was totally fine with it, but this time I have an ob and she's been talking about this test for the past 12 weeks now. And then, I met a woman recently who had no risk factors and was totally shocked to fail her glucose challenge. Bah.
The best part of this discussion at the last LLL meeting (where I met the woman with no risk factors and a major fail of the test). There was another new woman there. She was sweet, but very "young". Not age young, just a bit immature, or something, she just felt young. First baby, bla bla. Anyway, she tells me, "What's the big deal? Just go do the test. It's only a few hours out of your day!". I actually laughed. I hope she didn't take it personally, but it just struck me as hilarious. Cause a few hours in a hospital with my super active 20 month old is "no big deal". Ha! HAHAHAHA! Not that that's my only hesitation with it, but it is a big one.

For greater things are yet to come...

#14 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 AM

On the positive side, I completed a ton of baby related things on my to do list. I saw a naturopath today and the only thing he found wrong with me is that I need a little B vitamins to help my energy level. I was pretty happy with myself.

On the negative. I hate how emotionally sensitive I've been. I can't seem to handle anything negative being said to me. When it comes from DH I eventually end up balling because I feel so unloved. I just feel like I need some extra attention and appreciation. I'm trying so hard to be supermom. I can't handle mean quips about everything that's not perfect about me.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#15 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 AM

Gah, I forgot about the glucose screen. I actually requested one in my first trimester because I felt so terrible after eating sugar or carbs, but my blood sugar was fine. I guess I'll do another one. My midwife does a modified test: I tell her what I ate that day, and she takes a finger prick. It's so much better than the way my OBs always wanted to do it that I almost look forward to it (but not really). I used to waive the test but more and more people in my family are popping up with diabetes, including my dad recently, so I'd like to know.

MoonStarFalling ~ to you! If any of this is causing major stress or anxiety, a homeopathic nerve tonic might help. I can't remember the brand I use but they're little tablets that dissolve under your tongue and it's enough to take the edge off for me. I'm sorry things aren't perfect with you and DH...that has to hurt, especially right now.

#16 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM

We had a great wedding last night. DS had a blast dancing to very loud music! He is quite the party boy

on the glucose testing - I am skipping it. I felt so sick last time I did it, so I bought myself a glucometer and I have been measuring my glucose fasting and 1 and 2 hours post each meal. I have a spike after breakfast, but it is under 100 after one hour most times and never over 120, so I am not worried. I will take the table I did with me to my midwife, alhthough I do not think she will see anything there to get her worried. I think I will do 2-3 days of testing through the day again in a couple of weeks, just to be on the safe side, but yeah, I will pretty much do anything to avoid drinking the glucose

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#17 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Selkat- I don't think you laughing at the comment the girl said was rude...i think any mother who has small children or other children to have to tend to would probably at least giggle at a comment like that. I know I would!!!! I was nervous with my first test 7 years ago when i was pregnant with DD #1 (i was 19 and still knew it was a big deal!!!)

MoonStarFalling- s !!!! I totally understand the emotional side...especially if DH is negative about anything i do or say or makes it sound like my idea of something is stupid. (whether he verbalizes it or not it still makes me cry) I also cry at least once or twice a week at work thanks to the WONDERFUL police officers I dispatch for. I can't stand to be snapped at or yelled at for something I have no control over and I can't control what people are going to call us about for them to have to go deal with!!!!!

Nova- I really hope that your test comes up PERFECT!!! I know it's scary to think about when others in your family have diabetes and they aren't pregnant!!! s

Ema-adama- That sounds like a great idea!!! I see an OB so they fit the WONDERFUL glucose test in with my 6th month appointment!!! I'm TOTALLY not looking forward to drinking the Glucola and sitting in the waiting room for an hour...but at least I'll get to catch up on my reading for that hour!

G/L to everyone checking their own glucose or going to the doctor to have it checked this month!!! Here's to a WONDERFUL and HEALTHY third trimester for all of us!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#18 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
My 4 yo DD cracked me up the other night (and a few times since because of the reaction she got). She had apparently over heard a conversation between DH and I the previous night. At bed time she said, "mom, if you do bedtime tonight, dad will give you a back rub! With no strings attached!" I was rolling, she had no idea what she was talking about but she figured it must be good so now it's her favorite phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci&Granola View Post
*Terrible hives that break out only when I am out walking (which is also my preferred method of exercise so that sucks). Doesn't happen all the time but when it does good lord it feels like fire ants crawling underneath my skin.
This is called "exercise uticaria" and I get it when I exercise in the cold. It sucks! It can be brought on by certain foods etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post
So I had little sleep and throat hurt all night anyway, and I'm just so grumpy. Gotta get through the day....
Hugs to you, FSG! The noisy dishwasher unload is a pet peeve of mine, too. Hope you feel better soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahiisland View Post
I found myself some milking sheep and will be able to pick them up in a week or two. Then I will buy an icecream maker and make loads of healthy, raw, sugar free icecream! Can't wait.
This sounds sooooo amazing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichole1214 View Post
I'm 25+2 weeks and little miss Emma keeps moving around like crazy...until DH touches my stomach...then she refuses to move...or will only kick where his hand ISN'T!!!!

I still am not over the being tired all of the time stage and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I don't even wanna get out of bed in the mornings to go to work
My little man does the same thing to his dad, goes quiet when he moves in for a feel of the dance party. So cute!! Agreed about being tired all the time, I was ok for a little while there but lately we've been making good use of the bed tray as that is were we all end up with our suppers quite a few evenings when DH and DD join me!

MIL was diagnosed with bone cancer in her spine this week, spread from lung cancer that was detected in June. Very shocking for DH and his siblings and we're all trying to get our heads around what this means for their mom. It is a very aggresive cancer and MIL is not strong enough for chemo, so we have no idea what the future holds for her in terms of survivial. We have not said anything to DD yet but she knows her grandmother is sick.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#19 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post

MIL was diagnosed with bone cancer in her spine this week, spread from lung cancer that was detected in June. Very shocking for DH and his siblings and we're all trying to get our heads around what this means for their mom. It is a very aggresive cancer and MIL is not strong enough for chemo, so we have no idea what the future holds for her in terms of survivial. We have not said anything to DD yet but she knows her grandmother is sick.

Hugs go out to you and your family. Sending out lots of prayers!!!

#20 of 77 Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Prayers/thoughts for you and your family.

#21 of 77 Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM

QBear'sMama:

So I'm allergic to exercise, go figure...

Thank you for the information. I'm so sorry for you and your husband. Cancer is such a tough thing to deal with (especially with everything you guys have on your plate). My thoughts and prayers are with you.

ema-adama:

I also could not be happier about the break in heat and arrival of fall. This has been a tough summer without AC and the cooler nighttime temperatures feel like a huge gift.

Hope everyone enjoys their holiday weekend .

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#22 of 77 Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 AM

Well, I had a small drama with my midwife encouraging the anatomy scan. I had decided to do it if I could find a gentle doctor who would only scan for serious anomalies like missing organs - things that would make a home birth more risky than a hospital birth, for the baby.
The one gentle doctor who used to do ultrasounds no longer does them Anyway, we are moving forward without the scan now.... I was on the receiving end of arrogant unhelpful medical professionals with my last pregnancy, and I just am not comfortable with going in and not having my request honored. Routine interventions just do not make sense to me.....

Anyway, I am getting my knickers in a knot about taking the responsibility squarely on my own shoulders. It is my responsibility anyway.... but yeah, it is so hard going against the expected behavior, even if I know very well what my reasons are.

For any other Jewish mama's Shana Tova u'metukah! Chag Sameach (Jewish New Year starts tonight)

Eid Mubarak and Ramadan Kareem for those who are celebrating.

#23 of 77 Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Qbear'smama, I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I wish you all comfort as you go through this.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#24 of 77 Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the well-wishes ladies, I really appreciate the thoughts and prayers. Poor DH...

ema-edama, Happy Jewish New Year! What are the celebrations like? Sorry for my ignorance! Lots of food, I hope. Also, good for you for sticking to your convictions on the US. I hate coercion from the medical community to do anything and I tend to do the opposite of the expected bahaviour if it makes no sense to me.

Gucci, haha, now you have an excuse to avoid exercise, just remember what the 'illness' is called and you can whip it out whenever anyone tries to make you feel guilty for not exercising!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#25 of 77 Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM

psst, the first baby was born in the October DDC!

#26 of 77 Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Whoa! The babies are coming, the babies are coming!!!

#27 of 77 Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM

We have two months and a day until the first of the December DDC reach 37 weeks.

#28 of 77 Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
We have two months and a day until the first of the December DDC reach 37 weeks.
I hope we won't hear a peep from any of you December moms until then!

#29 of 77 Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM

WifeofAnt::: WOW our times are REALLY getting closer!!!

That just makes me realize that I have SOOOOOOO much left to do and SOOOOOOOO little time to do it in!!! We still have to finish replacing the carpets in our house with hardwood (which thank GOD is only 2 more rooms) then we still have to go pick up the baby bed, and get the bassinet put back together and put up in our bedroom. I also still have two baby showers coming up that i'll have to go through what I get and start washing clothes. (i'm REALLY short and I know that if i don't go ahead and start washing now i'll have problems getting the clothes out of the washer because my belly is getting bigger by the day!!!)

It also makes me excited to know that our journy is getting closer to being over and that my little one will be in my arms soon enough!!! Her big sister is waiting not so patiently for her to get here too lol.

#30 of 77 Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Yikes! Well I have had an interesting week! Woke at 4.35am on my birthday morning to a 7.1 earthquake! I have never felt an earthquake before so I wasn't too sure about why the bed was shaking, but DH was in the San Francisco quake so he did not waste too much time getting us to a door frame as it intensified. It was crazy! Rocking and rolling, but no damage to us. We were about 100 miles from the epicentre in Christchurch, the poor folk there tell me they could not even walk to the door frame! Amazingly, no one was killed although lots of buildings fell and there are big cracks in the road. And I really felt for all the poor women who just delivered babies, hanging out in that hospital while it swayed all over the place.

Then drove up to Christchurch yesterday to get my dairy sheep. Christchurch is still suffering all sorts of frequent aftershocks, of 4 and 5 status, and nerves are rattled all over the place. On the way my husband asks me "remind me again why, in a country of 40 million sheep, that we are driving 4 hours into a still active earthquake zone to buy a sheep?..." An interesting question! One I ponder myself! All I can say is that I realllllllly want raw milk again (I used to have goats) and it is just not safe as a preggie woman to drink raw stuff unless you can monitor the hygiene yourself. So don't stand in the way of a pregnant woman with cravings! But we spent a night in that town, supposedly to cheer up our friends, but the aftershocks just destroyed our nerves as well!

So crazy ass country here, all in this last week we have had big earthquakes, huge wind storms, floods, and lovely warm sunny days! Agh! Take me back to Alaska!

The battery hens are starting to look a bit better, but still a little like turkeys with their plucked necks and bald patches and long knarley nails, but they are figuring out how to be chickens more and more every day.

Big hugs to all mammas!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page