Acid Reflux - Make It Stop - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I can deal with the mild stuff that sometimes comes up after meals. Though I am beginning to detest the taste of papaya enzymes, they do the trick and alleviate it. But, waking up at 12:30 in the middle of the night choking on stomach acid is not something I want to deal with, nor is it something that papaya enzymes help. I was up for almost 30 minutes last night trying to get the acid to stop, get the coughing to stop, and get to where I could lay back down (propped up and on my left) and finally sleep. What can I do? Sometimes I know what caused it so I can avoid that food next time (for instance, I now know that ketchup anytime after lunch is probably not a good idea), but I have no idea what set me off last night. I didn't eat anything that in the past (say the day before or the week before) didn't settle well. Everything I had at dinner or after (coconut milk, maple syrup, and ice) has gone down without any problems and I've slept fine. Last night ... ugh. I don't want to repeat it. I'm to the point where I'm willing to buy something over-the-counter just to get relief and sleep. (I've avoided tums this entire time, which is a first for me while pregnant.) Any suggestions? Natural or not, I'm up for considering any of it.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#2 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Don't even bother with Tums, I'm having that problem at night lately and taking Tums does nothing but make my mouth feel weird. I have a friend who is due in December and has been suffering with the same thing. Her OB suggested Prilosec - she said she asked a thousand questions, making sure it was really safe for pregnancy, and when she was finally convinced she tried it out. She said it was amazing and she's finally able to drink water and eat normal foods again without having repercussions.

Last night I ended up on the couch, propped up in a near-sitting position because the heartburn was so bad. I felt like I was about to throw up and that was the only position that would alleviate it enough that I could finally get some sleep.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#3 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM

i was the same way with my oldest son, i know your pain. peppermint tea helped me a lot. i know they say peppermint can trigger it, but for me it soothed my stomach and throat. i did the papaya too and on beyond horrible nights i took tums. i slept on the couch sitting up with pillows. i havent tried this but have been told that aloe juice helps tremendously. hope you feel better. expect ur little cutie to come out with a head of hair
#4 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM

I'm taking Zantac because it's just really too horrible without it. The middle of the night thing is the worst.

I take it every 12 hours and it keeps the reflux mostly at bay. Sometimes I have break throughs but for the most part it's saved me (I can't believe how I suffered in my first pregnancy because I didn't know you could take anything other than Tums!).

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#5 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 PM

My midwife told me to eat almonds all day (raw almonds) and it has helped.....hope you feel better!!!!
#6 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's always nice to know when you aren't alone. I might end up with something like Zantac because I can't deal with the middle of the night stuff. The during-the-day acid reflux isn't very bad and can still be kept down with the enzymes. But I need to sleep (and my children would appreciate me being a little less cranky!). I should be thankful that it is only the last 12/13 weeks.

#7 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artteacher View Post
My midwife told me to eat almonds all day (raw almonds) and it has helped.....hope you feel better!!!!
Interesting, I do eat raw almonds a few times a week and I have not noticed if this works or not. I seem to randomly get HB, not sure what triggers it. Usually, a Tums before bed does the trick.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#8 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 PM

If it's REALLY bad, really, skip the OTC stuff and go straight for baking soda. There is a reason why other things were invented, it tastes AWFUL, but it really works better than anything else I've ever tried. Just a TBSP in half a cup of warm water, slug it down and it works instantly.

You can google sodium bicarbonate and acidosis for a lot of interesting info about the use of soda in health care.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#9 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 PM

I'm going through the same exact thing with the whole choking at night. And I *am* taking Zantac.

Last night, I spent the night in my recliner. While it completely eliminated any acid issues, I still didn't get much sleep because I only like to sleep flat!

I'm ready to go the prescription route... if any of my mws ever bother to get back to me.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#10 of 19 Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 AM

raw milk if you can get it

We buy organic pastures

a few sips and the heartburn is gone for me no matter how bad

I actually just got back from a 40 min trip to go buy some because we ran out today and of course as soon as we run out the HB sets in BAD

I made cup of traditional medicinal heartburn tea and put about 1/2 cup of raw milk in and some honey and now im all better.

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/heartburnsoother

its more the milk than the tea, i just saw the tea tonight when buying the milk and decided to try it... it was ok but wouldnt take care of the hb on its own i dont think
#11 of 19 Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
If it's REALLY bad, really, skip the OTC stuff and go straight for baking soda. There is a reason why other things were invented, it tastes AWFUL, but it really works better than anything else I've ever tried. Just a TBSP in half a cup of warm water, slug it down and it works instantly.

You can google sodium bicarbonate and acidosis for a lot of interesting info about the use of soda in health care.
I haven't tried baking soda. In the past, I've been able to use apple cider vinegar when it was a problem of not enough stomach acid. But, it has never worked while pregnant. I'll have to try the baking soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
I'm going through the same exact thing with the whole choking at night. And I *am* taking Zantac.

Last night, I spent the night in my recliner. While it completely eliminated any acid issues, I still didn't get much sleep because I only like to sleep flat!

I'm ready to go the prescription route... if any of my mws ever bother to get back to me.
That's not good that you are taking Zantac and still having problems. I have a feeling the center of our sectional couch will become my friend again this pregnancy. Maybe I'll try bringing in a couch pillow and seeing if that can keep my propped enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_wings View Post
raw milk if you can get it

We buy organic pastures

a few sips and the heartburn is gone for me no matter how bad

I actually just got back from a 40 min trip to go buy some because we ran out today and of course as soon as we run out the HB sets in BAD

I made cup of traditional medicinal heartburn tea and put about 1/2 cup of raw milk in and some honey and now im all better.

http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/heartburnsoother

its more the milk than the tea, i just saw the tea tonight when buying the milk and decided to try it... it was ok but wouldnt take care of the hb on its own i dont think
We used to drink raw milk (OP), but I had never tried it for HB. We are dairy free/casein free now (and interestingly enough, going dairy free eliminated most all acid reflux up until this time), so it's a no go.

Hmm ... I'll have to ask my mw next Friday what she thinks might help. Part of me things that nothing truly is going to help because it's just a bad mix of hormones and a growing baby/belly. (I'm such the optimist! )

#12 of 19 Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, last night was acid-reflux-free, and I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not, but here's what I did:

I didn't eat after 6pm; I actually didn't even have an appetite to eat anything (my appetite has been bizarre this pregnancy to say the least, erring on the side of not wanting to eat).

I didn't have any chocolate all day (bummer as one piece of dark chocolate - dairy free - had been a treat, but I'd rather not indulge if it means keeping the acid reflux at bay).

And I slept propped on three bed pillows. I told dh I felt like the Princess & the Pea going to bed, except it was bed pillows instead of mattresses! It wasn't the most comfortable in terms of cuddling down into bed, and I made myself sleep on my left (I've loved sleeping on my right ever since I had to when I was having carpal-tunnel stuff with my left arm/wrist), but sleeping through the night, minus when ds#3 woke and called out for me, was well worth it.

I'm going to try all those things again tonight (the not eating after 6pm might be the hardest as ds#1 has a baseball game at 5pm, so dinner will be a late one; I'll just have to eat earlier or something), and see if the trend keeps up. (I'm not overly optimistic, so I'm going to enjoy my night of sleep I got last night just in case!)

#13 of 19 Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM

I didn't have any problems at all this whole pregnancy 24w6d. But as soon as I hit the 20w mark I started experiencing some acidic problems. I tried the 1/4 tsp baking soda in 4oz water and LOVE IT!!! It tastes good (that's when you know your body needs it). If I do it as soon as I feel it coming on then it magically goes away. I also have identified some food that causes it.

Good luck!!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#14 of 19 Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Ive been eating almonds too and its helped alot. Also sucking on some candied ginger helped. Dh swears by drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar. I cant do it, but he used to be on several Rx's for his stomach and since taking vinegar its stopped completely.
#15 of 19 Old 09-05-2010, 10:33 PM

FYI--drinking undiluted apple cider vinegar (ACV) can cause dental enamel problems. We are suppose to dilute in water or juice and throw back or use a straw.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#16 of 19 Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Hmmm, that baking soda idea sounds interesting! i am going to go and try it now! My sister uses diluted apple cider vinegar and it works for her, not always for me. Sometimes cheese works for me, the French trick, get some dairy to weigh it all down. My mother says slippery elm powder, she has a stomach cancer and nasty heartburn - her natropath recommended it. It works nicely, lines that poor old esophagus! And it is good for you too. Just got to try a few and find the trick that works for you. I sit bolt upright and bend at the knees if I have to pick something up, I don't want to tip forward any more. Agh! Let us know what works for you and good luck!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#17 of 19 Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Another suggestion- Dh put the head of our bed up on car jacks.

It looks ridiculous, but the angle on the mattress itself isn't too extreme. I managed to get through last night without waking up. I did take one Tums before turning in because I was in a lot of pain.

I've decided to throw all dietary advice out the window. Yesterday morning I had a bowl of plain Cheerios with a banana (after taking a Zantac) and my insides were on fire. If bland food is going to kill me anyway, might as well go for the good stuff!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#18 of 19 Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I think sleeping all propped up is helping me as well. Last night I ate after 5'ish (another last day at the baseball field), plus when we got home I had some rice milk & almond milk ice cream with some GF/DF cookies. Sitting at the ball park all weekend watching people eat things that are not even options made me want a treat. I definitely had some mild acid reflux off and on, but between the three huge pillows under my head about about a handful of papaya enzymes taken throughout the night, I slept pretty well. (Now if my ds#3 would stay asleep, I'd really be able to sleep!).

#19 of 19 Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM

great ideas in this thread...wonderful wise women we are!!

I like slippery elm for heartburn...it works wonders in either a tea form or a losenge form.

I take ACV in a smoothie once weekly for a variety of reasons, perhaps it's why I haven't had bad heartburn, I had it pretty rough with dd and wasn't so wise back then

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page