Midwife visits in 3rd trimester - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will you begin to see your midwife every 2 weeks in the 3rd trimester?

I'm dreading this, and feel bad for dreading it. There are two midwives who practice out of my office, and the one who I prefer does visits every 2 weeks in the 3rd trimester, and the one who I don't like as well, does them every 4 weeks until you're 36 or 37 weeks. I'm torn on what I should do. It doesn't really matter who I see, as I could end up with one of 5 midwives at birth (and I will only have just briefly met 2 of them at an event we go to in October ~ weird for sure).

Just venting I guess.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#2 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM

My OB practice starts every-two-week visits soon, although I'm not sure exactly when. I am dreading it just because I don't really like going for appointments in general, and I don't like taking a lot of time off work (trying to save my paid time off for after the baby comes!)

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#3 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My appointments move to every 2 weeks starting at 28 weeks. Seems a little soon to me but sometimes I have a problem realizing I'm already 27 weeks!!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
My appointments move to every 2 weeks starting at 28 weeks. Seems a little soon to me but sometimes I have a problem realizing I'm already 27 weeks!!
DDCC - mine starts every 2 weeks at 28 weeks, because they already started to schedule mine when I was 20 weeks. They are only in the office I go to 1 day a week, so I guess they needed to do them early.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#5 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you just ask to space your visits out a little more? I mean, assuming you're low risk and such. There's really no reason for every two week visits, especially not so early.
I have an ob this time around (no midwives at all in our province), but she's actually been really cool about spreading things out. I've seen her every SIX weeks since the second apt, and the every two weeks thing doesn't start until 30 weeks but I know she'll be ok with doing them every 3-4 weeks instead until closer to the end.
Just ask! It won't hurt, and you're likely to be able to come to some sort of compromise.

For greater things are yet to come...

#6 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM

my midwives usually start around 28-30 weeks, but I'm already at 2 week visits 'cause I have a history of preterm labor and have already started contracting more than they'd like. If I was low risk, though, I'd put it off for a while too

good luck mama!

Lindsey
Mama to (10/05) and (12/07) (2/10) and expecting in December!
#7 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM

I have an appointment at 26 weeks, so we'll probably be switching to every two weeks at 30. They want to keep a *little* bit of an extra eye on me b/c I have an odd combination of an increased risk of low birth weight (based on blood tests) and larger than expected, but uterus. Baby measures perfect, so I think it's a wash, lol, but who knows?

It will be a pain b/c my mws are an hour away, but I've done it before!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#8 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 PM

I am dreading it too. I am only dreading it because I have a 40 minute drive on the highway to my appointments and I hate driving. I don't mind doing it once a month, but twice is pushing it and I certainly hope not to see her weekly.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#9 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Yup, mine are every 2 weeks from 28 weeks as well. I don't care for frequent appointments, because it makes me feel more...controlled or something. I'm just weird like that. But we've worked out our payment plan based on this schedule, so I need to stick with it really. It's not a huge deal, I'll handle it.
I think it would be worth it to use the midwife you prefer. Could you ask her if she'd be willing to do it every 4 weeks instead?

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#10 of 13 Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 PM

maybe this is just canada....but isn't midwifery care about choice? basically everything we do prenatally, during the birth or postpartum is our choice here. Let them know you don't feel you need the extra appts.

we are in the same boat with the 5 midwives and we have only met one of them...(we switched practices).

oh but just thinking...it could be beneficial so you can formulate a better relationship with them, since it could be any of them? just a thought?

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#11 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Just like FSG, I don't begin going on the every 2 weeks schedule at 28 weeks, I hold out until 32 weeks, it's just one less visit. I think I waited until 34 weeks with DD, my first pregnancy. So far 90% of my appts have been on Wednesdays and I've bonded with one MW, since that's her day at the office. I already know them all and dislike one, the newest one. With my luck, she'll be attending my birth...grrrr.
#12 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM

I start every two weeks today until 36 weeks, and then it's every week. I absolutely adore my MW and she comes to me, so I could see it being a bit more annoying if I had to go to her. I agree with PPs though - talk with them and let them know that you would rather space the appointments a bit more until it gets close to the end.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#13 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 PM

I made a fitted diaper today. There is finally something Baby in our house, lol. It's not much, but it's a start!

That was not supposed to go here, lol!!!!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page