Nursing mamas- check in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's everyone doing? Hanging in there?

Yesterday was a big day for me- first day I didn't pump at work! We celebrated Lucy's (DD) birthday (and 1 year of breastfeeding) on 2 September, and I have to admit I was looking forward to not having to pump anymore. I was only getting 1-1 1/2 oz, but I was afraid that if I cut that session out, my supply would drop. Then I realized that I wasn't nursing OR pumping during the day on the weekends/when I was home and was fine, so it shouldn't matter.

It was sort of bittersweet, however- I almost missed having those few minutes set aside during the day to just think about her. I don't miss hauling all my bottles, pump parts, etc., though. I think I will enjoy having a break for a few months- until I go back to work after this LO is born anyway.

So we're still nursing in the morning before work and at bedtime, and that's great for me. Initial latch still hurts, but I think I'm getting over the soreness part. We're moving DD from supplementing with formula to whole milk...only a few more months until a fresh supply, right? Can't wait until I don't have to worry about supplementing/finding alternate sources of calcium, etc.

Anddddd....DH and I are getting over a terrible stomach bug- I had to get IV fluids over the weekend. I managed to nurse through it, though, and DD made it through unfazed and completely healthy. Yay for the power of breastmilk!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Zoe has been nursing like CRAZY in the last couple of weeks, I think she's getting her 2-year molars or something because her sleep is all wacky as well. I'm getting kind of excited for tandem nursing, it will be so cute to see the two of them on there at once!
#3 of 27 Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM

My boy gave up on me a couple months ago because my milk dried up This is the first I have not been nursing in years. He still asks for it sometimes, and while I'm getting my boob out he laughs all excitedly, then he just looks at it, opens his mouth, looks a bit awkward and then pulls away saying, "it's bwoken". He's too scared to even latch on.
I'm still hoping he'll pick it up again when the baby is here, because I'd love him to benefit from the nutrients and antibodies for longer. But if not, I'm glad he had what he did, and those first 22 months or whatever will have done him good.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#4 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 AM

We're still going strong at 25 weeks here. DS is slowly weaning the daytime feeds and im not pushing. He used to go right for my boobs the minute i would pick him up from a nap, now he just wants to play. He'll come see me a half hour later for a quick feed though. Morning and everning are still going well, i still hear him gulp (yay! I was sure I'd be totally dry by now)
The pain is pretty much all gone after we worked on the latch again
#5 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're still going too. I'm pretty much dried up - can sometimes express a drop of *clear* fluid, but it doesn't seem to have deterred her very much. We still do pre-nap and pre-bedtime feeds, along with 1-3 other sessions during the day (pretty short), and a couple of longer sessions over night. I think she's just using me as a pacifier, but I'm hanging in there in the hopes that she'll pick it right back up again once there's a fresh supply. I think she might go in to shock at having liquid in her mouth again though!
Anyway, congrats to all of you. I feel pretty proud of having stuck this out with dd.

For greater things are yet to come...

#6 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 PM

We are down to nursing in the morning when the sun "wakes up". But that is about it. I have nursed him some times during the day because he seemed to need it but other than that, I am sorta trying to keep things on the lower end. This child LOVES my breasts and he has been waking us both up wanted to "hold your milks" and then gets upset if he can't rub/fondle them. It hurts so much that I can't. Poor thing. I want him to ease off as much as he is comfortable but I do feel like I have to push him a little bit too. He is almost 3 so he had a good 33 months of milk from me.

I kinda want to tandem and kinda don't. That is frustrating to not know, but I feel like we will just wait and see how things go.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#7 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 02:01 PM

We are down to very brief nursing after his bedtime story and when he is emotionally falling apart. There is zero milk there now, so it's entirely a comfort thing (for him, rather uncomfortable for me)

I am going to try just going with the flow with tandem nursing. I am not going to offer it, but if he wants it, I won't say no.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#8 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM

DD is 3.5 and I'm 25 weeks. My milk dried up about 10 weeks ago. She "weaned" a couple months ago but this month she became focused on my breasts again and now that I have a bit of colostrum she's asking to nurse about once day. She clearly misses nursing and I wish I had more milk for her.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#9 of 27 Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 PM

Twenty five weeks and going strong. Don't know how much he's getting, but he loves his nummies. I'm so thankful.
#10 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
We're still going too. I'm pretty much dried up - can sometimes express a drop of *clear* fluid, but it doesn't seem to have deterred her very much. We still do pre-nap and pre-bedtime feeds, along with 1-3 other sessions during the day (pretty short), and a couple of longer sessions over night. I think she's just using me as a pacifier, but I'm hanging in there in the hopes that she'll pick it right back up again once there's a fresh supply. I think she might go in to shock at having liquid in her mouth again though!
Anyway, congrats to all of you. I feel pretty proud of having stuck this out with dd.
That's what my daughter was like during my last pregnancy. She had a strong need to suck, she didn't suck her thumb or anything and needed the comfort of nursing even when there was no milk there. I felt happy when the colostrum came in and she could get the benefit of that super food, though there was not very much in quantity.

First time she got a mouth full when my milk came in, I thought she'd be thrilled. But she was super freaked out hehe. She backed off quite a bit for a few days but then got into it again big time.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#11 of 27 Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We were all just traveling for a month, and my 19 month old is as insistent on nursing as ever - yelling "nurse! want nurse!" until I give in. I don't think I have any milk for him now at 26 weeks, but he doesn't seem to care. I shorten the sessions because I get uncomfortable, but I don't mind if he nurses. I just wish it wasn't so often, and am really hoping I can get him fully nightweaned and not needing nursing to fall asleep before the next one comes!
#12 of 27 Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

DD is so funny...some nights she's all about nursing (to the point that I start getting the "weird nursing while pregnant vibes"- if you know what I mean), and others she is indifferent.

Like last night she didn't want to nurse at all....so I went and pumped, and was happily rewarded with about 1 1/2 oz....so the boobs are hanging in there. Then this morning she was all too happy to have her "nummers."

Mamas:

If you miss a nursing session for some reason (for me, it's because DD decides not to nurse), do you pump, or just don't worry about it? I always pump to replace a session (since we're only morning and night it's no biggie), but I suspect I'm being a little paranoid.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#13 of 27 Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
We were all just traveling for a month, and my 19 month old is as insistent on nursing as ever - yelling "nurse! want nurse!" until I give in. I don't think I have any milk for him now at 26 weeks, but he doesn't seem to care. I shorten the sessions because I get uncomfortable, but I don't mind if he nurses. I just wish it wasn't so often, and am really hoping I can get him fully nightweaned and not needing nursing to fall asleep before the next one comes!
DD nurses to sleep most nights, but doesn't nurse at night once she's asleep- does that make sense? We used Dr. Jay Gordon's method- he is a big supporter of the family bed, and outlines a way to night-wean gently. Might be helpful- it worked really well for us! http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

#14 of 27 Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post
I kinda want to tandem and kinda don't. That is frustrating to not know, but I feel like we will just wait and see how things go.
That's how I feel. I'm not sure what I will want in a few months- so I'm trying to just keep nursing so I leave my options open.

#15 of 27 Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm still nursing my DS once or twice a day. Usually in the mornings and/or before he goes to bed. He's 3.

I'm sure my milk supply dried up around 13 weeks. I couldn't even express a drop. But he insisted that there were still milkies in there.

I'm almost 27 weeks though and I know I've had some colustrum for the last 2 weeks. He still claims that the milk tastes the same and is still there. I ask him often if it tastes different. He just says, "No, it didn't turn yet". I explained to him that my milk could change a bit and taste different when the baby is in my belly.

My DH is not really thrilled that he's still nursing at 3 and seems to have no desire to give it up anytime soon. This morning we asked him when he was going to be finished having milkies and he said, "in 2 months". This is his reply to anything having to do with time though. It's always 2 months. But I told him that he should wait at least 4 months. That way when my milk comes in for the baby he can help me with any engorgement. I told him when the baby is born I might have a lot of milkies and the baby might need help drinking them. He started saying "YAY, YAY"! It was pretty funny.
#16 of 27 Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 AM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#17 of 27 Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 PM

My son will be 4 in 2 weeks and has no intention of stopping. Luckily my supply came back very well when I passed the 17 week mark and stopped taking progesterone supps. I will hit 3rd tri on Wednesday

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#18 of 27 Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 AM

I am 30 weeks today. My boy who will be 3 in Dec. has no plans on stopping. He nursed already 4 times today, and it is only 9 am. How am I ever going to keep up to two of them nursing all of the time? He did give me a small break by going down to 8 times a day when I had no milk- but now that I have colostrum I can't get him off of me for long intervals.
#19 of 27 Old 09-25-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just my happy little thought for the day: I love nursing DD while feeling this little one jumping and kicking at the same time

#20 of 27 Old 09-26-2010, 07:11 AM

Ein, that sounds so cute!

DS is almost hardly nursing. He isn't asking and I am not offering. I know this could change rapidly when my milk comes in.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#21 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to check in again!

I'm at 33 weeks...DD still nursing morning and night. Her initial latch still hurts, but I'm fine after that. Still get that weird feeling after more than 10 minutes, but I'm trying to work through it, because she's getting her 1-year molars and nursing seems to be the only thing that helps. She fell asleep in the car last week and went straight to bed, so I pumped out of curiousity....super surprised to get more than an ounce.

How's everyone else doing???

Only a few more weeks to hang in there!

#22 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've been pretty adamant about the no nursing at night thing, but my 20 month old still nurses in the morning, before bed, and usually one or two other times during the day that he asks. I limit it to fairly short sessions, but not as short as I did before - it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be. I'm very curious and nervous how it will go with 2!
#23 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
I've been pretty adamant about the no nursing at night thing, but my 20 month old still nurses in the morning, before bed, and usually one or two other times during the day that he asks. I limit it to fairly short sessions, but not as short as I did before - it's not as uncomfortable as it used to be. I'm very curious and nervous how it will go with 2!
Well, when I said "morning and night," I meant once when she wakes up, then before bed. Since she's in her crib now, night nursing isn't the issue it was before...but I have brought her into our bed and nursed her twice this week because of her super-fussiness (teething).

I am SO curious, too, about how this (tandem) will work....and how I will manage nursing them both before work in the morning! I've heard that you make a ton more milk, though- so perhaps pumping will be easier? I made plenty the last time, but it would be nice to really stock the freezer before I go back, KWIM? Takes some of the stress off.

#24 of 27 Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM

We're still nursing away here, too. Nipple soreness waxes and wanes as the weeks go by, but I've been a real trooper. I'm thinking that there isn't much that my little man is getting from his nummies except for lots of comfort, love, and maybe a little dribble. Also curious about tandem nursing. Guess we'll see how that goes! Lots of luck to the nursing mamas who are still hanging in there!
#25 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 PM

We're still nursing a lot (DD is 2). We went from on the way to night weaning to constant nursing at night because of sickness and 2-year molars in the last couple of weeks. Also, nipple soreness remains constant- I think the teething is making her latch all wrong. I'm sticking with it, though, because DD doesn't like cow's milk or juice, and last winter, BF was her only source of sustenance during her 3 looong bouts of the stomach flu.
#26 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Still nursing at 31 weeks. There is less milk, but I can still squirt a bit out, so I'll just assume that DS, being more efficient than my manual compressions, is still getting enough milk to keep him happy. I hear less swallowing, but i still hear some.
We're down to two nursing sessions a day, morning and bedtime, but I notice he is starting to play more than drink at the boob. We'll see where that goes. I have no pain whatsoever at this point, I'm happy!
Oh yeah, DS noticed that my belly button is now an outie. I guess my belly looks like a giant boob because he keeps trying to latch on to my belly button.
#27 of 27 Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymango View Post
Still nursing at 31 weeks. There is less milk, but I can still squirt a bit out, so I'll just assume that DS, being more efficient than my manual compressions, is still getting enough milk to keep him happy. I hear less swallowing, but i still hear some.
We're down to two nursing sessions a day, morning and bedtime, but I notice he is starting to play more than drink at the boob. We'll see where that goes. I have no pain whatsoever at this point, I'm happy!
Oh yeah, DS noticed that my belly button is now an outie. I guess my belly looks like a giant boob because he keeps trying to latch on to my belly button.
LOL my DD is the same about my bellybutton! She never used to bother my piercing, but now that I have an outie, she feels compelled to play with it all the time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page