Fundal heights? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I was just curious for the new moms and the mom-agains, anyone see any correlation between their fundal heights and their kids' birth weight? For my Midwives, for the past 6 weeks instead of typical pre-natal care, we meet in a centering group with 6 couples total. But, we all get measured for our fundal heights every time. Mine have gone up, but I'm currently measuring 27 cm for 28 wks 3d, so I'm supposed to be at about 28cm, since FH is supposed to correspond to weeks pregnant.

I'm in this group with 5 other pregnant women due about the same time and I'm the smallest (belly wise), so I was just curious, what others have experienced. I was an 8'11oz baby, so I think I'll have a big guy, I'm also 5'9" and a 160lbs to start with, so I've just had this assumption that I would have a big baby. I'm interested to see how this plays out, but curious to hear what others have experienced with this.

Thanks,
Leslie
#2 of 8 Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM

I don't put a lot of stock in them either. For moms with other babes, her uterus might expand faster, or one might have a bit more fluid than the other. My only experience with fundal heights as far as comparisons go is that my last baby measured 4cm ahead from the very start, and was over 10lb. This one is measuring 2cm ahead. So I don't know. My first was measuring right on and was 8lb 6oz at birth. So maybe I'm looking at a 9-lb-er?

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#4 of 8 Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 AM

With my first pregnancy with DD, I always measured on target and she came at 38 weeks at 6lbs 9oz. I was a 7lb-something myself. I am 5'6" and my starting weight was 158, 10lbs higher than my 1st pregnancy. I am at 182lbs already.

I think it has more to do with how far along you are when you deliver and the sex of the baby.

I am still measuring on target with this baby, it's a boy. I also get monthly ultrasounds to monitor his growth due to a single umbilical artery and his measurements reflect how far along I am. He's doing great.
#5 of 8 Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM

No correlation here. My first 4 always measured on target and ranged from 7lb9oz to 9lb2oz.
As of 4 weeks ago, my fundal height was "large" (not officially measured, just felt), but my u/s measurements had the baby spot on for dates.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#6 of 8 Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM

My last I measured 6 cms large and she was born at 41.5 weeks weighing only 7 pounds. It will be interesting to see how this babe comes out as I've been measuring mostly right on average. I assume he's going to be big like his brother though.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#7 of 8 Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My first 2 pgs, I always measured right on. My next 2, I was a couple weeks ahead until the end when it caught up. My 5th and so far this one have measured many weeks ahead. At 22 weeks, I was measuring 28. At my last appt (27wk) I was measuring 31. My uterus just expands quickly now. Any u/s I've had have always shown the baby's growth right on even though my uterus is measuring ahead.

Most of my kids have been in the 8-9lb range. My 5th came 4 wks early and was 6 lbs but I'm sure he probably would have been about the same as his siblings if he'd stayed in a few more weeks.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#8 of 8 Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses, it's interesting. So many things you can consider in pregnancy....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page