not freaking out...just wondering... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
why on earth am I measuring 4 weeks ahead?

I'm 26 weeks and measuring 30.

I keep thinking I'm huge...and I guess I am, but I really don't think I have my dates wrong unless I had a false period (followed by cyclic bleeding after finding out I was pregnant for 2 months). Perhaps it's nothing...just the way baby was hanging out in there...perhaps.

I don't test for gest. diab. because it is not found to make any difference for maternal or baby outcomes.

I didn't do an u/s so twins is a possibility (my dad also has twin sisters)

I'm a really tiny person.

Does any of this sound like anything to anyone...?

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#2 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Hmm. I would guess twins but thats just a guess I only say that cause without an U/S you don't know and it could be twins?? Have you had doppler to check heartbeats, not sure if that is a way to find a twin??
I also didn't do an 18 week U/S this time but did do a very early dating one so I know my dates and that there is only one babe in there. I think if it was me I would want to know if it is twins BUT that being said this is baby number 5 for me and number 6 for hubbie so twins would be quite the shock! I would be wondering if it was me too but good for you to not freak out.. Cause everyone's body is also different and measures different too!!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#3 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 11:55 PM

with my 1st pregnancy there was a time when i started measuring a few weeks ahead, and then that slowed down right at the very end, and i ended up measuring right on. don't know if that helps? but that was my experience.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#4 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 AM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#5 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coraljean View Post
I measured 4 weeks ahead at 32 weeks pregnant last time. We had an ultrasound to look into it, and everything was normal. Baby ended up being born at 42 weeks, and weighed 8 pounds which is pretty average. I think that just like after they are born, in the womb babies have growth spurts too, and it usually will even out later in pregnancy. Having a lot of amniotic fluid can also make you measure big. It seems like your care providers would probably be able to tell if there was more than one baby in there just by feeling/listening to the heartbeats, but I suppose there are always surprises! Good luck!

I would wait it out and see what happens over several weeks unless you feel the need to have an u/s. Position and a growth spurt are both very likely and those will even out. If it's twins, it will stay way off and even get more extreme over time. Either doppler or fetoscope (though doppler would be much easier) should be able to find 2 heart beats at this point as well as an experienced MW palpating are both pretty accurate though there are always surprises as coraljean said. I would continue not freaking out and just keep an eye on it, if it were me.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#6 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 AM

I would assume position. I suspect my babe is currently diggin' the breech position (movements, mostly) and I am measuring 3-4 weeks ahead. I know I'm not farther along, and I had an u/s and there is just one. :-) It happens.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#7 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mammas...
I spent some time last night being with the baby and I really honestly feel as though there is just one in there...but surprises do happen. My midwife's stance is that we will see how things measure next appt (30wks) and go from there...she did suggest that if I was still measuring large, she wouldn't mind an u/s.

We were able to feel baby's head down low at the pelvis which was nice...but she did say that it doesn't rule out the fact that there could be another one.

Thanks for all the suggestions etc...this is baby #2 for me and dd was 7 years ago...so my memory is foggy on quite a few things...perhaps I just measure large, perhaps it's just this baby and perhaps there are two...I'm trying to be aware of sending really positive energy to the notion of two just incase there are...I don't want to place negativity towards the idea of twins if there are...but it would really throw us for a huge loop...

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#8 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I think I was measuring about that big at my last appt, 4 weeks ahead or so. This appt I'm down to only 2-3 weeks ahead. I'm 28 weeks, currently. I'm really not thinking there's any way I got my dates wrong, no u/s, and I refused the glucose test too.

Next appt the MW will palpate and see what she can feel. Maybe just a big baby?

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#9 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeering View Post
Yeah, I think I was measuring about that big at my last appt, 4 weeks ahead or so. This appt I'm down to only 2-3 weeks ahead. I'm 28 weeks, currently. I'm really not thinking there's any way I got my dates wrong, no u/s, and I refused the glucose test too.

Next appt the MW will palpate and see what she can feel. Maybe just a big baby?
this was reassuring to hear. Thank you mamma.

#10 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 PM

im gonna be 25wks tomorrow and i measured 30 today but i also have diabetes too so the MW said either they got my date wrong or we just have a big baby..all my babies were average weight the biggest being 7lbs 9ozs...so i have to have an u/s on the 30th to see whats going on...

Tracy momma to an angel DD 9/3/96angel3.gif DS 9/5/97 DS 8/11/98 DS 7/2/09 and DS 12/9/10 and due for  baby #6 in July 2012 stork-suprise.gifIm a breastfeeding mommabfinfant.gif married to my DH for 4 yrs

#11 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrymamma View Post
this was reassuring to hear. Thank you mamma.
Thanks. Your post was too. At least I'm not alone. A friend just had a baby with my MW and her baby was 9 lb 1 oz... she never measured big.

So I don't know what to expect, but I guess it must be getting enough to eat.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#12 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM
rad

I've been measuring a few weeks ahead for last couple appts. The last one I was 4 weeks ahead. The one before that I was 6 weeks ahead. I know from a couple u/s that the baby is measuring right on but I guess my uterus just expands fairly quickly. Similar has happened for my previous 2 pgs. I do tend to even out towards the end. All my babies have been about 8-9 lbs when they don't come early. So not real huge.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#13 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 AM
myk

popping on from another DDC

with my first i ALWAYS measured ahead by a few weeks, right from second trimester on. i had a fairly big baby (barely 37 weeks, 7#11oz) who had an unusual amount of amniotic fluid.. not enough to worry about, but enough that she had her own little jacuzzi with plenty of room (well.. relatively).

i'm also measuring 3 weeks ahead with this one (or i was, as of 21 weeks). some of that may be the fat i have below my belly button, or that value might already be an adjusted value after taking that into account. on an ultrasound around 18w, her head was already measuring a week ahead.. my OB says she's likely just a big girl like her sister!

January 2011
#14 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 02:12 AM

With my second son I measured 4 cm ahead the entire pregnancy and he was just one big baby! He was a little over 10 lbs! Now this, my third, I'm measuring 2 cm ahead from the beginning. I'm hoping for a 9-lber this time! I have never had gestational diabetes or any other issues...sometimes you're just big! And your body remembers better every time and just falls easily into pregnancy...including your uterus expanding. I'm sure it's nothing to fret about!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#15 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 AM

In my case it was excess fluid. By the time I delivered(induced at exactly 37 weeks, for several issues, not just the fluid though that was part of it) i measured 47!!!! I was huge! And baby girl was less than 6 lbs. It started out measuring 2 to 3 weeks ahead mid pregnancy.

Ricki (36) wife to R (35), mommy to 6 year old DS and baby girl born April 24, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page