Gestational Diabetes test?... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
I didn't think I was going to be able to keep that stuff down yesterday...I was so nauseus, and that was with taking it after a protein breakfast. I don't want to know how bad it would have been had I fasted.

My appointment is at 1pm today, so I guess I'll know then!
This just in....I scored an 85. Wahoooooooooooo!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#32 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Ein! Janet that sucks!

Thank you everyone for your tips and experiences, it is all very helpful!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#33 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 06:28 AM

Great ein. That must be a wonderful relief to have that behind you now.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#34 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
The whole reason I asked about the fasting thing is that there seems to be a correlation between fasting and failing the test. That is, when mamas are encouraged to have a small, protein-based meal before, most seem to do better.
Interesting because with my first I fasted (didn't know what to do so just in case I didn't eat) and I passed the 1 hour. the second I ate a small breakfast and I didn't pass the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#35 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM

The instructions I got with my 1 hr simply said not to have caffeine or nicotine before the test. I get to drink it at home so no sitting around waiting. It makes sense that eating some protein with it would help, and I will go for a brisk walk after I drink it too.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#36 of 38 Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM

When I did the 1 hour with my OB in CA, I was told to fast. For 10 freaking hours. I was miserable. I run hypoglycemic so I was unable to drive myself to the test. Then, I drank the horrible, seriously carbonated drink (and I don't drink things that are carbonated). And then felt awful for about 2 days. The day I took it, I felt that I was having a real hard time keeping my blood sugar up. For my particular situation, it almost seemed dangerous to do.

This time, with my CNM, I ate regularly but limited simple sugars and then took a glucose load right before she came to my house and she drew the blood. I felt fine afterwards. Which was such a relief.

I think you will find that some people are just more sensitive to blood sugar changes and that is why they say it is horrible. My sister had GD so I really wanted to take it, but I like the midwife version way better than the OB version.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#37 of 38 Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM

I am very curious to get tested ever since my MW said anyone can get GD- I'm thin, haven't really gained much weight and have no risk factors other than the fact that I'm 28, so I had previously assumed I couldn't get it. I had an appointment with my MW scheduled for 10:30 this morning in which she was to screen me for GD. I only got the instructions early this morning via email (I didn't check it later last night and sort of assumed she forgot, which kind of had me peeved...turned out, she had remembered. Oops). So I was worried because I didn't do any fasting, but the instructions didn't say anything about that and basically told me to avoid simple carbs, eat protein at every meal, and then eat 18 Brachs jellybeans, or drink some Oceanspray Cranberry Cocktail, or a 16 oz. Coke.
I chose the Coke because it seemed to be the easiest thing to run out and get...but I NEVER drink soda so it was a big deal to me to even show up at the grocery store nearly 7 mos. pregnant and stand in line with a giant Coke...ugh. I felt very guilty that I was doing this to my baby! So, the instructions said to guzzle that thing down within 5 minutes (which was harder than it sounded), which I did at 10 am expecting my MW to show up at 10:30 and draw my blood around 11. Lo and behold, she called at 10:30 and canceled because someone was in labor! Aaargh! So, all day I've been feeling really "off" and sort of shaky as if I'm highly caffeinated...and to think I get to drink this again Wednesday morning (that is when we rescheduled)...
Just had to vent.
#38 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 PM

well, I got a call that I failed my 1 hour GTT that I took Monday. High was 170 and the cut off is 140
So after some thought and talking to others, I'm going to skip the 3 hr (because they never even had me do it with my 1st pregnancy as the finger stick is so high). I had to take insulin last time around when I had GD so I knew my chances of being OK this PG were kinda slim.

I told the nurse that I'm refusing the 3hr test and would rather do monitoring, meet the dietician, endo, etc. She said she'd hav eto get clearance first as they want the 3 hr test results. I told them I didn't do it with #1 and I can't handle 3 hours that it will entail let alone time off work. So I'm waiting for a call back...

I'm hoping to monitor my numbers and watch intake based off info I kept from #1 ( I have everything from the GD classes. forms) and see what it looks like for a week before anyone even mentions or tries to pressure me to insulin. I'll be 27 wks tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page