I might be expose to whopping cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were having dinner and there's a 4 or 5 year old coughing his brain out and sounded like whopping cough. Are there anything naturally I can take now?? I will have a dose of vit c, but what else? Obviously I am not vaccinated of
Whopping cough.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 PM

by the time someone is coughing and whooping etc. They have reached the second stage of the disease and it is much less contagious at that point. I wouldnt worry about it too much
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukookoo View Post
by the time someone is coughing and whooping etc. They have reached the second stage of the disease and it is much less contagious at that point. I wouldnt worry about it too much
: that's what I've heard too. I wouldn't worry too much, nothing you can do about it now anyhow - take vit C. take good care of yourself and if you feel at all ill - rest and see a dr.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Also, I've heard it's not as bad if you get it as an adult. It's like a regular cough.

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#5 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 AM

Yup, once you are coughing you are less contagious (if it is whooping cough). If you do come down with a cough in the next weeks, it is a potential concern for the newborn, as you could theoretically pass it on. Although that would be unlikely, as you would be past the initial contagious stage.

You can be immune to whooping cough without the vaccine. It seems that adults regularly get whooping cough, it is just much more mild in adults, and goes unnoticed. You could be immune without knowing it.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#6 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

thank you Mamas. It's so good to hear that I might be OK. DH and I were worried sick and on our way home after dinner, he was so mad that parents bring their sick kids out to the public.
As of now, nothing yet. Well, a bit of a sore throat.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

It is irresponsible to take sick children out in public in my opinion. Although all too common.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#8 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM

It is contagious for two weeks AFTER coughing starts, so I'd still be concerned and take daily ascorbic acid rather than just once.

It's probably that it won't be a big deal in you, but because you are pregnant there is already a lot of compression on the lungs from the baby growing. So I'd be concerned about the number 1 side effect, which is pneumonia. Hernia, incontinence and weight loss are also side effects that may occur and be not good with a pregnancy. So keep a close eye on any complications and fever as well, which can be bad for growing babies.

Big hugs mama...it is much more probably he had allergies, this is the worst ragweed season in years.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page